Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 03:50:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228061 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  Geno's Steaks insists customers order in English
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Geno's Steaks insists customers order in English  (Read 20786 times)
axlrosegnr
I have a custom title now!
Legend

« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2006, 07:46:29 PM »

I agree...when I travel to different countries, I dont expect people to know english...English is the national language...not spanish...

Axl is God.
kockstar999
Banned
Rocker

Ladies and Gentlemen, Mr Kevin Federline!!

« Reply #41 on: June 01, 2006, 01:16:30 AM »

did anyone read the article i posted?
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #42 on: June 01, 2006, 01:24:30 AM »

did anyone read the article i posted?
Yeah I did. I've read similar articles over the past few months. Most people just dont care. They'll only care when its too late to do anything.

Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2006, 01:26:58 AM »

what i'm not understanding is why would making English the offical language be racist? (i saw that comment made earlier in the thread).  Thats just fucking ridiculous.  We speak English here.  I'm not going to move to France and expect them to all make English their second offical language, and i'm certianly not going to fucking Mexico to live(maybe to party) and expect them to all speak English for me and teach English in all the classrooms and all the nonsense these people are in this part of the country demanding.
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2006, 01:29:20 AM »

what i'm not understanding is why would making English the offical language be racist?
Its not racist. The liberals and the mexicans just want people to think its racist.

kockstar999
Banned
Rocker

« Reply #45 on: June 01, 2006, 01:45:14 AM »

soon english speaking will be a minority
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #46 on: June 01, 2006, 08:22:53 AM »

What's the problem?? Did you fully read the post? I understand your "supply and demand" argument, but this goes way beyond that. Have you been to California lately? I hope you are going to the GNR show in September. I'll show you how California is now becoming Mexico. If you haven't been to Cali in awhile, you will be shocked.

See, it really doesn't go beyond the supply and demand argument, though.? At least your post doesn't. Your point is "Is that the kind of America you want to live in".? My point is, it's exactly the type of America you want to live in, and have always lived in.? It's a capitalistic, supply and demand society.

Paramount sees a demand and then supplies the goods.

And again, I don't see a problem with that.

Ditto with the billboard companies.

I'm guessing YOUR real point is that you feel your state is being overrun by people not of your race.? Again, I say: So what? As long as they're legal, that is.? America has always been a cultural melting pot.? Hell....look at the food we consume every day.? What many think of as favorite or comfort foods?? Irish, Italian, Polish, French and English cuisine brought over by immigrants.

If they're illegals then yes, it's an issue. One we've been dealing with for quite some time, but is coming to the forefront of public conciousness of late.? But that's a completely seperate issue than Paramount Parks catering to what they see as an untapped or unserviced market.

Because there are a number of LEGAL immigrants, and legal immigrant decendants, too.? So when you point to a business who is catering to demand, I find it puzzling.? Because it doesn't have much to do with the discussion at hand.

Edit: No, won't be coming out to Cali for the show in September.? Wish I could.? My wife is due with our 3rd child the last week in September, so I'll be sticking close to home.. Smiley
« Last Edit: June 01, 2006, 08:32:15 AM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
axl_rose_700
Legend

Guns n' fuckin roses!

« Reply #47 on: June 01, 2006, 06:49:59 PM »

I guess he is serving freedumb fries on the menu too?

LOL, I'd love to see him try that in Miami. He'd be closed down in a couple of weeks.

This is about as narrow minded as you can get. It is no wonder the rest of the world think we are a bunch of fucking morons..........we are!

Why the fuck should people have to speak Spanish in their own country, why should they have to bend their backs for people who can't be arsed to learn English

That's a hatrick for Doull
the dirt
Princess
Legend

A hair's breadth!!

« Reply #48 on: June 01, 2006, 06:56:13 PM »

Where do you live in California, Garry and James, if you don't mind?

The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you.
the dirt
Princess
Legend

A hair's breadth!!

« Reply #49 on: June 01, 2006, 06:59:39 PM »

So LA is LA? There are no burroughs or districts? All neighborhoods are "bad"?

The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you.
SLCPUNK
« Reply #50 on: June 01, 2006, 07:07:41 PM »

I guess he is serving freedumb fries on the menu too?

LOL, I'd love to see him try that in Miami. He'd be closed down in a couple of weeks.

This is about as narrow minded as you can get. It is no wonder the rest of the world think we are a bunch of fucking morons..........we are!

Why the fuck should people have to speak Spanish in their own country, why should they have to bend their backs for people who can't be arsed to learn English

That section of the country speaks Spanish. Like it or not, it is a fact and you can not change it at this point. So.......if you tried it in Miami, it would not fly. It is just part of the culture down there.
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #51 on: June 01, 2006, 07:38:20 PM »

Where do you live in California, Garry and James, if you don't mind?
I am in Modesto. Meth capital of the world, home of the wines Nighttrain and Thunderbird, and former home of Scott and Lacie Peterson and Chandra Levy. Great things to be famous for, huh? rofl

SLCPUNK
« Reply #52 on: June 02, 2006, 12:22:43 AM »

The vast majority of the city if Hispanic, Dirt.  For every 1 white neighborhood, 4 are Hispanic.  And slowly but surely, they are creeping into the white neighborhoods.

Man you act like they are out to get you or something...........

You can always move down to Florida and hang out with the Cubans........

Or.......

Idaho and Utah are pretty white states.

Their racial breakdown:

White

Lilly White

And

Transparent.

You'd love it there. Well, until the lilly white people began to creep into your hood........
« Last Edit: June 02, 2006, 12:24:43 AM by SLCPUNK » Logged
SLCPUNK
« Reply #53 on: June 02, 2006, 03:06:07 AM »

They're out ta get me! 

Don't want to move to Florida.  I don't like that state.

Utah...weird mormon business goes down there...like putting Jews who were killed in the Holocaust in their "saved" register.

Idaho...It's fucking boring!  As much as I like 'taters, it's not worth living there!

What I want is for them to get shipped back...they seem to love their country so much that they fly their flags OVER the stars n' stripes, I'm sure they wouldn't mind going back to their beloved native land.

Your choices are limited pal.

Florida is gonna be too "tan" for you.

Beggers can't be chosers dude.

Looks like a lilly white Utah or Idaho in your future. It's ok, you can stop by my house and ask for a cup of sugar. We can sit on the porch and talk about the good old days without gay people and Mexicans.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #54 on: June 02, 2006, 08:10:52 AM »

OMG Pilferk, you're being unreasonable.? Put yourself in my shoes, and think of it from my point of view.? Maybe you may have to go read my post again to see the grim reality of it all.

No, actually I'm being QUITE reasonable.? You, on the other hand...not so much.

There is a fundamental difference between being concerned about illegal immigration and being concerned that a business is catering to a clientele they see as unserviced or underserviced.

There is also a fundamental differenece between being concerned about illegal immigration and outright racism (something SLC is, I think, subtley trying to point out to you).

MANY of the things you're describing are exactly the types of issues that were dealt with, with legal immigrants, back during the early 1900's...when we trully were becoming a cultural melting pot.? And, like it or not, LA and California are becoming the equivalent to 1900's NYC. And to assume that what you're seeing is COMPLETELY because of illegal immigrants just isn't the complete truth.  There are plenty of LEGAL immigrants in California, and their naturalized decendants, and THAT population is booming as well.

Does something need to be done about illegal immigration? Yes, not because the majority of them are Mexicans, but because our system can't handle the influx of people looking for benefits from it that are not naturalized citizens.? Because our infrastructure simply can't handle the increase in total population.? Because our economy might not be able to support the influx of population. But, in the grand scheme of things, that has NOTHING to do with the illegal immigrants country of origins.? They could all be lily white Australians and we'd have some of the same sorts of issues.? You need to get a handle on the real issues and leave the color or nationality thing behind.

Together again,
kockstar999
Banned
Rocker

« Reply #55 on: June 02, 2006, 01:29:19 PM »

If i owned the resurant and people came in and couldnt speak english they wouldnt get served unless they can order and i can understand what the hell they want. If they want to speak thier own language go back to were they come from. Im not going to hire linguists to sell fucking balogna sandwiches.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #56 on: June 02, 2006, 01:37:34 PM »

If i owned the resurant and people came in and couldnt speak english they wouldnt get served unless they can order and i can understand what the hell they want. If they want to speak thier own language go back to were they come from. Im not going to hire linguists to sell fucking balogna sandwiches.

So, um...what if they're deaf?

Or mute?

Or physically disabled with something like CP that prevents them from speaking clearly or writing?

Gonna turn them away, too?

If you owned a business, chance are you'd do what it takes to cater to those who frequent your establishment.? You'd want their money and their continued patronage.  And that doesn't mean you have to learn to "speak their language", be it sign language, Spanish, or whatever.

A couple of "picture" menus that can be pointed to work wonders....
« Last Edit: June 02, 2006, 01:43:27 PM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
estranged.1098
« Reply #57 on: June 02, 2006, 06:49:49 PM »

It's not about color or origin, these people don't want to learn English, or adopt our way of life.

Why should they want to adopt "your way of life"? (if there's such thing that's valid for even over half Americans)

Who built America anyway? Why do you speak English (God Save The Queen!) instead of what the original people living there used to speak?
axl_rose_700
Legend

Guns n' fuckin roses!

« Reply #58 on: June 02, 2006, 07:11:51 PM »

If people are  moving to another country they need to make an effort atleast

That's a hatrick for Doull
The New Fiona Apple
So, what do you think of my pic?
VIP

I guess I just wasn't made for these times

« Reply #59 on: June 03, 2006, 12:42:25 AM »

It's funny. I was just reading about this in the school library yesterday.

It's not the logic behind this that's really bad, it's the blunt execution of it. I do agree though, if you want to get by in American, speak at least passable. You need to speak at least SOME basic english enough to order a cheesesteak.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2006, 12:48:18 AM by The New Fiona Apple » Logged

?I only know what I read [in the press],?
Bobby Valentine

Vicarious Existence is a fucking waste of time
-Axl Rose
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: