Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 04:16:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228061 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  Geno's Steaks insists customers order in English
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Geno's Steaks insists customers order in English  (Read 20792 times)
sandman
Legend

« on: May 31, 2006, 12:20:36 AM »

http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/news/front/14697552.htm

The Immigration Debate | Then vs. Now
An old struggle to adapt to a new country's ways By Gaiutra Bahadur
Inquirer Staff Writer

PETER TOBIA / Inquirer
Joseph Vento, whose grandparents came from Italy, insists that customers at Geno's Steaks order in English. "Why should I have to bend?" he says.How do you say cheesesteak with in Spanish?

Joseph Vento, the owner of Geno's Steaks, doesn't know. And he doesn't care.

Just read the laminated signs, festooned with American eagles, at his South Philadelphia cheesesteak emporium: This is America. When Ordering, Speak English.

Vento's political statement - from a man whose Italian-born grandparents spoke only broken English - captures the anger and discontent felt by many Americans about illegal immigrants.

With a battle looming between the House and Senate on legalizing some immigration violators, the public backlash is framed by two complaints:

One, my grandparents came legally. How come these guys can't? And, two, my grandparents had to learn English. How come these guys don't?

"Go back to the 19th century, and play by those rules," said Vento, 66, whose grandfather became a U.S. citizen in 1921.

But history challenges many assumptions about the hurdles aspiring Americans used to face, say scholars of the last massive migration to the United States, which occurred between 1880 and 1920.

"There was no such thing as an 'illegal' immigrant," said Roger Daniels, a member of the Statue of Liberty-Ellis Island History Committee and author of Guarding the Golden Door: American Immigrants and Immigration Policy Since 1882.

The Old Country often required exit visas, which created the possibility of illegal emigrants. But the United States did not issue entry visas until 1921.

Before that, no meaningful immigration restrictions existed, except for a bar on Chinese enacted in 1882. Congress imposed no other limits on the number of immigrants - from any one country, or in total. About a million arrived each year in the early 1900s. It wasn't until 1924 that Congress imposed an annual cap of 155,000 immigrants.

"If you could get here and weren't terribly diseased, you could get in," Daniels said.

By contrast, backlogs, country quotas and annual caps now make legal immigration a tortuous and nearly impossible process for many, said Thomas Conaghan, director of the Irish Immigration and Pastoral Center in Upper Darby.

Past immigrants, once here, faced a backlash fueled by anxiety about religions, languages and races that were relatively new to the United States. Fear of anarchist and "Red" ideologies and the competition for jobs also played roles.

Help-wanted ads limited applicants to native-born Americans, said Kathryn Wilson, director of education at the Pennsylvania Historical Society.

Current critics of illegal immigration echo earlier generations of nativists, say academic experts on ethnicity.

"A lot of the rhetoric was similar: 'They don't speak English. They don't want to be Americans,' " said Mae M. Ngai, a University of Chicago historian and author of Impossible Subjects: Illegal Aliens and the Making of Modern America.

The Senate bill passed last Thursday, which gives some illegal immigrants a chance to become citizens, included an amendment that would make English the national language.

An English-only movement also took shape in the late 19th century, with an abortive attempt to require newcomers to read a passage in English at Ellis Island. In the end, the literacy test was administered, but in the immigrant's native tongue.

Joseph Vento's grandfather and namesake, a street-corner jeweler from Sicily, had trouble with English.

"They tried," Vento said of his grandparents. "They had a hard time. Look at the price they paid. They were limited."

The Ventos rarely left their South Philadelphia neighborhood. Now, in a way, the neighborhood has left the couple's descendants. Geno's sits at Ninth and Passyunk, the hub of Little Italy turned home to thousands of Mexicans.

Some try to order a cheesesteak. And it bugs Vento if they can't ask for American cheese, provolone or the classic - Cheez Whiz - without pointing.

"If you can't tell me what you want, I can't serve you," he said. "It's up to you. If you can't read, if you can't say the word cheese, how can I communicate with you - and why should I have to bend?

"I got a business to run."

Vento, who lives in Shamong, put up the signs when the immigration debate seized national headlines six months ago.

With Geno's Steaks tattooed on his arm, Vento is used to publicizing things, especially what's on his mind. Speak English signs also poster his Hummer. He has driven through South Philadelphia blaring through the SUV's P.A. system denunciations of neighborhood business owners who hire illegal immigrants.

"I say what everybody's thinking but is afraid to say," Vento said.

That many think as he does may be true. The dominance of Latinos among new immigrants has triggered a backlash, said Peter Skerry, a political scientist at the Brookings Institution.

Spanish-speakers make up about 30 percent of legal migrants and roughly 80 percent of illegal migrants, compared with the 21 percent preponderance of Italians a century ago.

"It's just a huge concentration . . . that raises questions for people about how these immigrants are assimilating," Skerry said.

He and other experts say that current immigrants are taking no longer to assimilate than Vento's grandfather did. Now, as then, English takes hold among the children of immigrants, and native languages disappear by the third generation.

What's different, Skerry said, is that many Americans now value multiculturalism, and technology allows it to flourish. Satellite TV beams soap operas from Latin America to U.S. living rooms, phones make it cheap and easy to connect with relatives back home, and airplanes allow a back-and-forth existence.

In society, "there is a notion that people are entitled to their own culture," he said. "Assimilation is a dirty word in many quarters. Sometimes, we don't even use the word anymore."

Vento is lashing out at that self-assertion by immigrants: "I don't want somebody coming here to change my culture to their culture," he said.

"They want us to adapt to these people. What do you mean, 'Press 1 for Spanish'? English, period. Case closed. End of discussion. You better make it the official language."

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2006, 12:36:38 AM »

Its about fucking time someone took a stand. This is the United States, not a colony of Mexico. If I go to Mexico I dont expect the whole country to learn english and put up english signs so I can assimilate. Either learn some english, or get the hell out.

Tomorrows
VIP

Stick to your guns

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2006, 12:50:35 AM »

OMG - I went to that place the first night my girlfriend and I were in the states. It was like 2am and freezing + being Philly it felt like a ghetto round there.

Their cheesesteaks were appaling and the people serving were so rude!

Not pleasant. Hahaha, cant wait to show this to my girlfriend when she gets home.
SLCPUNK
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2006, 01:54:07 AM »

I guess he is serving freedumb fries on the menu too?

LOL, I'd love to see him try that in Miami. He'd be closed down in a couple of weeks.

This is about as narrow minded as you can get. It is no wonder the rest of the world think we are a bunch of fucking morons..........we are!
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2006, 02:03:47 AM »

I guess he is serving freedumb fries on the menu too?

LOL, I'd love to see him try that in Miami. He'd be closed down in a couple of weeks.

This is about as narrow minded as you can get. It is no wonder the rest of the world think we are a bunch of fucking morons..........we are!
No, we're not morons, we're just americans that want our country back. The two of us have discussed something similar to this at your forum. People in my state are sick of having to see everything in spanish. Hell, here in my area, most of the billboards are in spanish. Everywhere you go its spanish shoved down your throat. SLC, have you ever been to the amusement park Paramount's Great America? Its in Santa Clara, and is basically identical to a six flags theme park. For years, thay have had concerts for people to watch. Bands ranging from Kool and the Gang, Warrant, Slaughter, Pat Benatar, and a bunch of bands I cant remember over the years. Now, its 100% hispanic bands. No american performers whatsoever. Also, they cater to spanish people by serving so much mexican food. Is that the kind of america you want to live in? If it is, we all should just move to mexico.

SLCPUNK
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2006, 02:05:46 AM »

I don't think what that guy is doing is the right way to go about it.
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2006, 02:09:35 AM »

But how does it start then? Someone has to be the first to stand up and fight. Maybe this guy is the next Rosa Parks. rofl

mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2006, 03:07:57 AM »

Regardless of this I am personally tired of how the country caters to everyone elses native tongue... Years back you came through ellis island, you became an American, and if they feklt soemthing was wrrong they deported you or denied you access to the mainland.. Everyone learned the language and were damn proud of it... When I was in Italy I studied up first then tried my hardest to speak as much italian as possible, it was a sence of pride to me, respect for them... peace
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2006, 03:27:44 AM »

Mike, the reason they dont do that anymore is because they dont have to. They consider us garbage. They want everything america has to offer and thats it. It has to be there way. God, I wish we had a real president. Reagan would never have allowed this to happen.

SLCPUNK
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2006, 03:41:03 AM »

But how does it start then? Someone has to be the first to stand up and fight. Maybe this guy is the next Rosa Parks. rofl

Oh jeez man........

Go to any major city in the USA and they speak different languages all over the place. This is nothing new.
gnr1967
Rocker

One person's morality is another person's nonsense

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2006, 03:46:15 AM »

This is a difficult issue - I agree that people living in the U.S. should not expect others to speak Spanish, Italian, or what have you...but I also feel that diversity is also important.   

Regarding Geno's cheesesteaks, their food isn't nearly as good as Pat's cheesesteaks right across the street IMO. 
SLCPUNK
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2006, 04:03:10 AM »

Regarding Geno's cheesesteaks, their food isn't nearly as good as Pat's cheesesteaks right across the street IMO. 

hihi

I'd bet we could track this back to the manager's office inside of Pat's..........

Just a hunch.
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2006, 04:10:27 AM »

Oh jeez man........

Go to any major city in the USA and they speak different languages all over the place. This is nothing new.
As I've said before, come take a trip out here to California and see if you're so sympathetic on the issue. Its an epidemic here. Believe me, your eyes will open to whats happening. The west coast is turning into a colony of mexico, and apparently no one gives a damn.

SLCPUNK
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2006, 04:12:41 AM »

Pienso que usted obtiene un poco demasiado trabajado arriba sobre esto. Hay personas aqu? legalmente que no habla ni una palabra de ingl?s. ?Usted est? enterado de este derecho? ?Qu? dice usted a eso?

?Qu? es el punto verdadero? ?Est? la curva lejos personas qui?n no hablan ingl?s yendo realmente resolver nada?
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2006, 04:26:41 AM »

Its about fucking time someone took a stand. This is the United States, not a colony of Mexico. If I go to Mexico I dont expect the whole country to learn english and put up english signs so I can assimilate. Either learn some english, or get the hell out.
indeed, I'm quite fed up with it myself.

We speak english here goddamnit!  smoking
bumblerocks
Banned
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2006, 04:28:42 AM »

OMG - I went to that place the first night my girlfriend and I were in the states. It was like 2am and freezing + being Philly it felt like a ghetto round there.

Not pleasant. Hahaha, cant wait to show this to my girlfriend when she gets home.

who cares about your damn girlfriend Roll Eyes
Cornell
Nice to you
Legend

« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2006, 08:31:57 AM »

We have just been on vacation.  On our way home, we stopped to take a ferry to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island.  Everyone was speaking something other than English and my 6 year old asked if we were still in the United States!  hihi  He thought we left the country!

Why don't you just....
pasnow
VIP

« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2006, 08:48:06 AM »

Regarding Geno's cheesesteaks, their food isn't nearly as good as Pat's cheesesteaks right across the street IMO.?

hihi

I'd bet we could track this back to the manager's office inside of Pat's..........

Just a hunch.

No chief, the Pat's & Geno's debate as to who is better has been going on for decades. And Pat's has been there since the 1930's, and most peope do think Pat's is better.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2006, 08:59:32 AM by pasnow » Logged
sandman
Legend

« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2006, 09:07:51 AM »

haha! that's a funny story. they are tough there. sorta like the soup nazi. but there are clear instructions posted on how to order.

and what's with the cheapshot at philly?? "ghetto"?? come on, man. philly rocks.

and you think the cheesesteaks were appalling??? blasphemy!!

and for the record, Geno's are better than Pat's.

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
pasnow
VIP

« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2006, 09:20:45 AM »

Funny you said that about the soup nazi, I don't know about Geno's but Pat's would charge sometyhing like $.75 if they have to ask you if you want cheese or onions.. Or if you change you mind "With Provolone... no wait Wiz" etc. Basically, if they start to get annoyed with you. This is going back before Seinfeld episode.

Haha, Geno's is the first place you went in America?? Wow, yeah I can see how you would see that as "rude".
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: