Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 15, 2024, 11:41:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228061 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  Geno's Steaks insists customers order in English
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Geno's Steaks insists customers order in English  (Read 20743 times)
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #60 on: June 03, 2006, 01:01:04 AM »

You need to speak at least SOME basic english enough to order a cheesesteak.
The liberals dont think so. They wont be happy until we all have to order our Philly Cheesesteaks in spanish.

SLCPUNK
« Reply #61 on: June 03, 2006, 01:49:54 AM »

The liberals dont think so. They wont be happy until we all have to order our Philly Cheesesteaks in spanish.

Oh stop it........

jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #62 on: June 03, 2006, 01:58:24 AM »

Oh stop it........

Not happy yet? hihi

jazjme
Can't get over the past? Let me be your guide!
Legend

...ABSURD!!

« Reply #63 on: June 03, 2006, 04:37:03 AM »

Ok my take as I do work in a restaurant and have dealth with deaf people and blind and those who dont speak english.

I have a little trick it called assimilating :
1 a : to take in and appropriate as nourishment : absorb into the system b : to take into the mind and thoroughly comprehend
2 a : to make similar b : to alter by assimilation c : to absorb into the culture or mores of a population or group.

Beit blind , deaf or dumb, I find ways to interact with people since its what I do, beit creed , color skin secual or other, foriegn or native, and since Im no authority on anythign really, I just do what comews natuaral, and NYC is the melting pot of the world.

But on the other hand I know and see the abuse and get pised off by illegals who use my (our) govt resources, and my govt flips the bills for heathcare, prenatal care and countless others,  for wome who come here to ahve thier babies, who offspring are now US citizens, and are offorded more than your average middle american working citizen, that I have a fuckng problem with. REFORM yes its needed . BUT all I hope is that the govt, (and I am not a fan of this admin by along shot), does the right thing.

Yes here in the US ,I agree english should be the common, my ancestors from italy who came here forbade thier children from talking thier native toungue, because they were proud to be in a free country(hense my lack of knowledge in the launguages, of my past). They wanted thier children to know the launguage of the country they so looked to and were offorded freedoms they never had. I think its time to go back to that kind of thinking!

10.16.87 10.23.87 10.30.87 1.31.88 2.2.88 5.9.88 8.16.88 9.15.88
6.17.91 12.9.91 12.10.91,12.13.91
7.18.92 12.5.02 5.12.06 5.14.06 5.15.06 5.17.06 11.17.11 2.10.12 2.15.12
11.9.12 11.10.12 5.24.14
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #64 on: June 03, 2006, 06:38:34 AM »

I'm a democrat and I hate all this shit.... But I'm not left or right either...

There's just a sence of pride moving to start a new life in another country and learning to speak what most people there do..

I hate whoever has been here for a decade or better and makes no effort to learn to speak any english...
pasnow
VIP

« Reply #65 on: June 03, 2006, 09:35:01 AM »

I'm a democrat and I hate all this shit.... But I'm not left or right either...

There's just a sence of pride moving to start a new life in another country and learning to speak what most people there do..

I hate whoever has been here for a decade or better and makes no effort to learn to speak any english...

I agree, and before people start bashing America, don't the French hate tourists who cannot speak French. Well I imagine most countries would be that way if they were inundated with refugees. At first "Oh how cute, they speak English" then after millions of us moved in "Hey get these fuckers out of here!!".

Funny, English is a desired language to master in countries like Poland, Russia, China and India. And here in America, people are telling us WE should learn Spanish.
kockstar999
Banned
Rocker

Ladies and Gentlemen, Mr Kevin Federline!!

« Reply #66 on: June 03, 2006, 10:06:28 AM »

So, um...what if they're deaf?
they cant hear anyways so if i speak swahili they wont fucking know.

Or mute?
they wont be speaking will they? any language except grunts, gurgles, spits and whistles...

Or physically disabled with something like CP that prevents them from speaking clearly or writing?
they most likely will have a caretaker with them since they probobly didnt drive to my place to order thier sandwich... and if they dont well then i dont know what to tell them since i wont understand anyone who doesnt speak clearly english or spansih or any other shit.

Gonna turn them away, too?
nope coz anyone like that wont be alone.... they can sit in the corner and drool all day just as long as they have someone who can tell me what the fuck they want to order for them.

If you owned a business, chance are you'd do what it takes to cater to those who frequent your establishment.? You'd want their money and their continued patronage.? And that doesn't mean you have to learn to "speak their language", be it sign language, Spanish, or whatever.
your very right.. and i wont....

A couple of "picture" menus that can be pointed to work wonders....
yep that would work....
Elrothiel
« Reply #67 on: June 03, 2006, 10:30:21 AM »

Its the same in England.

Only our government are a bunch of pussies. They are so afraid of "insulting" people of other religions/cultures, that shops can't put up Christmas decorations, or even write the word "Christmas"... they have to shorten it to "Xmas". Roll Eyes

And get this! I'm not religious, and I have always preferred fun Christmas cards to religious ones, but now, we're not even allowed to have religious Christmas cards!

Why you ask? Because our government don't want to "insult" other religions and cultures. PATHETIC!!

I went to Abu Dhabi on vacation last October, and it happened to be Ramadan. We had to respect their culture and refrain from eating outside in front of all those who were waiting for the evening. If we wanted to eat we had to go to the restaurant or the hotel room. And that's fine! I wasn't insulted!

Its just polite to respect the culture of the country you are in. The country should not have to change its culture to fit immigrants!

Let me tell you now, if it was up to me, I would make all immigrants coming to live in the country take and pass English classes and exams before they were deemed legal.

.... and now everyone's gunna jump on me with pitchforks and start yelling "RACIST! RACIST!"

What-fucking-ever.

If wanting my country's language to remain English and people living in it to be able to SPEAK English makes me a racist, then I'm a racist.

Roll Eyes
kockstar999
Banned
Rocker

Ladies and Gentlemen, Mr Kevin Federline!!

« Reply #68 on: June 03, 2006, 10:40:49 AM »

Its the same in England.

Only our government are a bunch of pussies. They are so afraid of "insulting" people of other religions/cultures, that shops can't put up Christmas decorations, or even write the word "Christmas"... they have to shorten it to "Xmas". Roll Eyes

And get this! I'm not religious, and I have always preferred fun Christmas cards to religious ones, but now, we're not even allowed to have religious Christmas cards!

Why you ask? Because our government don't want to "insult" other religions and cultures. PATHETIC!!

I went to Abu Dhabi on vacation last October, and it happened to be Ramadan. We had to respect their culture and refrain from eating outside in front of all those who were waiting for the evening. If we wanted to eat we had to go to the restaurant or the hotel room. And that's fine! I wasn't insulted!

Its just polite to respect the culture of the country you are in. The country should not have to change its culture to fit immigrants!

Let me tell you now, if it was up to me, I would make all immigrants coming to live in the country take and pass English classes and exams before they were deemed legal.

.... and now everyone's gunna jump on me with pitchforks and start yelling "RACIST! RACIST!"

What-fucking-ever.

If wanting my country's language to remain English and people living in it to be able to SPEAK English makes me a racist, then I'm a racist.

Roll Eyes

not me.. your not racist.. you just want it to be fair... im with you 10000 percent.. the only people who will claim ur a racist are the ones who want to benifit from a double standard or just want to be a devils advicate.
Elrothiel
« Reply #69 on: June 03, 2006, 10:47:40 AM »

Thanks Kockstar! Smiley
Drew
milf n' cookies
Legend

Counting the signs & cursing the miles in between.

« Reply #70 on: June 03, 2006, 10:54:29 AM »

Your points are made very well SkynyrdGirl.

"If you keep going over the past, you're going to end up with a thousand pasts and no future." - The Secret in Their Eyes
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #71 on: June 03, 2006, 11:08:43 AM »

true sg, fucking babies, usa  is so politically correct..

God forbid you say the wrong terminology.. Can't call fat people fat, big boned or calorically challenged..

If you have a fight with someone who is of a different race and you throw in a slang word it's a "hate crime" crying
Elrothiel
« Reply #72 on: June 03, 2006, 11:12:22 AM »

Yea, when in actual fact, the entire "political correctness" issue is a hate crime!!
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #73 on: June 03, 2006, 11:12:40 AM »

If you have a fight with someone who is of a different race and you throw in a slang word it's a "hate crime" crying
Very true. They can call you a honkey, cracker,etc. and everyone thinks its the coolest thing ever. It makes me sick. The reverse racism is quickly ruining this country.

Malcolm
Legend

You're In The Jungle Toronto,You're Gonna Dieee

« Reply #74 on: June 03, 2006, 11:52:49 AM »

Wow...This article is awsome...I totally agree weith this guy, we should not have to adapt to immigrants ,they should have to adapt to us, it should be the same way if we want to go to there country, we should have to adapt to them

I Dont Want To Change The World,I Dont Want The World To Change Me
The Dog
Legend

« Reply #75 on: June 03, 2006, 12:23:55 PM »

Very true. They can call you a honkey, cracker,etc. and everyone thinks its the coolest thing ever. It makes me sick. The reverse racism is quickly ruining this country.

"Ruining the country?"  Don't you think you're exaggerating just a bit?  Not to start a diff debate, but I can think of MANY other things that are ruining the country a lot faster then the example you gave.  Basically anything Bush and co. have done in the last 6 years.

The scenario you described is BS for sure, but I don't think its going to spell the end of the US anytime soon.

"You're the worst character ever Towelie."
The Dog
Legend

« Reply #76 on: June 03, 2006, 12:43:35 PM »

Wow...This article is awsome...I totally agree weith this guy, we should not have to adapt to immigrants ,they should have to adapt to us, it should be the same way if we want to go to there country, we should have to adapt to them

I disagree to some extent, like Pilferk was saying, its all about supply and demand.  If you go to a foreign country that relies heavily on english speaking tourists to drive their economy, the locals HAVE to learn english or they will not be able to do business with the tourists and thus, will lose money.  They are adapting to the foreign presence.

Same here in the US.  If I were to go into an old school Polish neighborhood here in NYC and start a business, the least I could do is learn a little bit of polish to help make a transaction.

Like Jayzme said though, being in NYC, different languages and cultures are seen/heard everyday here - so its no biggie to us.  I'm not sure what its like in CA so I really can't comment on it

I say to some extent though, b/c everytime I do go to a foreign country, I always try to learn basic words like "please, thank you, how much, etc....".

As for the whole immigration debate, I'm on the fence - I think part of it is racist, I think part of it is a little too "to the left", I think full amnesty isn't fair - anyone living here illegally should be paying back taxes, but a full deportation of all illegals is just retarded (and impossible).

I think some of it is politically driven.  Call me a jaded democrat, but when did this become an issue really?  I doubt the illegal immigrant population has suddenly exploded the past year or two right?  This has been going on for decades no?  I see this as the new "gay rights" issue that the Reps are drumming up (creating an issue instead of focusing on the REAL issues) to gain support in the upcoming elections and for 2008.

Most of all, I don't think anyone in this country has the right to tell someone else what language they need to learn or you can't come in here without passing a test.  That didn't happen before, why should it start happening now?  I imagine the vast majority of immigrants from mexico aren't sitting on their asses collecting welfare, they are looking for work (that most americans wouldn't do) to send home to their families or to save so they can go back to their country with some money.

This is America afterall.  The land of opportunity.  If you start doing things like that it will only become more and more rules and regulations.  And this isnt' "liberal paranoia" its the truth.  you give an inch, you will lose a yard.  Freedom isn't shades of gray its black and white

"You're the worst character ever Towelie."
Elrothiel
« Reply #77 on: June 03, 2006, 02:00:51 PM »

Yea Garry I always say Merry Christmas as well! ONCE, someone came up to me after I'd said it, and said "Oh, aren't you worried about offending anyone?"

WORRIED ABOUT OFFENDING ANYONE!!!? WHAT THE FUCKING HELL!!? JUST by saying "Merry Christmas". THAT is not going to offend the most fanatic people of other religions!

Gaaaaah!!

And I'm sick of seeing signs like "Buy your Xmas trees here". I want to see in big red and green writing "Buy your Christmas trees HERE!"

I'm really thinking of getting a petition started up to end this awful political correctness that IS in fact ruining what we like best about our countries!!

I'm pretty sure that if something is not done now, in four years time, at the next World Cup, England supporters will not be able to hang an England flag out of their window, or even SAY "Come on England!"

It is going much too far!!

And not just in this way either!

I read in the paper a while ago that a tree in a schoolyard (it had been there for at least two hundred years) was cut down to prevent children climbing on it and endangering themselves...

Real reason it was cut down: Because teachers are so fucking scared of getting sued by over zealous parents!

Even trained nurses who work at schools aren't even allowed to put plasters on children's cuts!! They have to call up the parent, get the parent to come into school, and have the parent put the plaster on!!

HOW FUCKING RIDICULOUS IS THAT!!

Jeebus fucking Christ what has the fucking world come to!!?
Elrothiel
« Reply #78 on: June 03, 2006, 05:27:51 PM »

And Garry, what I hate MOST about living in England is the fact that however bad it is here, however SHIT, a lot of people still find it necessary to slag off America.

It pisses me off!! I'd choose America over England to live in ANY day! L.A. or N.Y. preferably!

And if the petitions ain't workin', CALL FOR A BOYCOTT of those whorporations!
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #79 on: June 03, 2006, 06:06:48 PM »

Sg nyc is waiting Wink
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: