Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 04:52:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227795 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  ATI Radeon X1600 Question
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: ATI Radeon X1600 Question  (Read 6418 times)
-Jack-
Kickin' it old school
Legend

DT imba

« on: June 12, 2006, 01:42:22 PM »

Ok so im getting a new computer in about a couple of weeks.. a new iMac (the 17 inch screen one)

And I was wondering.. how does a ATI Radeon X1600 graphics processor using PCI Express
with 128 MB of GDDR3 video memory sound? What kind of games would I be playing and where would I max out? (I mean what game would be too much for it)

Apparently its an alright graphics card no? I just want specifics

gnrevolution.com
Prometheus
VIP

I've been working all week on one of them.....

« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2006, 02:16:57 PM »

x1600 is a soild card, but the question is how much are you paying for the card now? because for the 256 here in canada its like $132.... say $115 USD.

but look in all seriousness.... you will run roughly anythign on the market right now with out much trouble at all..... Oblivion maybe another story or FEAR? hard on vidcards.... if you can afford to step up and future protect yourself, spend alot more and step up to the x1800 $430 CAD, or stay with the x1600 move up to the 256MB card and make sure that you have dual PCI-E (video) capable Motherboard and go crossfire when you have the money to spend on a second x1600.

taking the crossfre option wont really future proof you as going to the x1800 core will, if you can afford that go for it.......but if you can afford the 1800 you might aswel go to the 1900 for $575 CAD

the one thing though i really would make sure is that your MB does have the DUal video PCI-E option... its nice to have.

alsoe how much are you really looking to spend.... then how much can you afford to spend. And what are teh rest of the specs that you are loking at with the system that you are getting
« Last Edit: June 12, 2006, 02:19:00 PM by Prometheus » Logged

........oh wait..... nooooooo...... How come there aren't any fake business seminars in Newfoundland?!?? Sad? ............
-Jack-
Kickin' it old school
Legend

DT imba

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2006, 07:04:36 PM »

x1600 is a soild card, but the question is how much are you paying for the card now? because for the 256 here in canada its like $132.... say $115 USD.

but look in all seriousness.... you will run roughly anythign on the market right now with out much trouble at all..... Oblivion maybe another story or FEAR  hard on vidcards.... if you can afford to step up and future protect yourself, spend alot more and step up to the x1800 $430 CAD, or stay with the x1600 move up to the 256MB card and make sure that you have dual PCI-E (video) capable Motherboard and go crossfire when you have the money to spend on a second x1600.

taking the crossfre option wont really future proof you as going to the x1800 core will, if you can afford that go for it.......but if you can afford the 1800 you might aswel go to the 1900 for $575 CAD

the one thing though i really would make sure is that your MB does have the DUal video PCI-E option... its nice to have.

alsoe how much are you really looking to spend.... then how much can you afford to spend. And what are teh rest of the specs that you are loking at with the system that you are getting

Bleh. For a mac alot of what your saying is different.. alot of stuff is less customizable. I think the only thing I can do is up the RAM.

The card is standard with the computer..

I'll ask them if I can upgrade though. Thank you

gnrevolution.com
Prometheus
VIP

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2006, 07:23:11 PM »

even with a mac you should be able to get a dual PCI-E board as they were really the first ones to push this out for their 30" moniter as a requirement

........oh wait..... nooooooo...... How come there aren't any fake business seminars in Newfoundland?!?? Sad? ............
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2006, 07:30:20 PM »

Don't get a Mac.
Prometheus
VIP

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2006, 07:31:31 PM »

ok... your going to spend $1400 on a computer that has worse then waht you could build for cheaper....... in a PC running the same hardware.

Prometheus
VIP

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2006, 07:34:22 PM »

Don't get a Mac.

personally i like macs......old macs, non intel based macs, non pc hardware based macs..... once you goto this point and start using PC components its time to package the brand name as is done and put together a great strong system that is price smart, and start selling OS-X as a direct competior agnist Windows on PC

-Jack-
Kickin' it old school
Legend

DT imba

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2006, 08:41:24 PM »

Don't get a Mac.

personally i like macs......old macs, non intel based macs, non pc hardware based macs..... once you goto this point and start using PC components its time to package the brand name as is done and put together a great strong system that is price smart, and start selling OS-X as a direct competior agnist Windows on PC

I like Macs... I just enjoy the apps and use it more so than Windows. Plus, if I wanted Windows I'd just use Boot Camp and install it on my new mac... Garry gay guy. Haha. Kidding pal

gnrevolution.com
estranged.1098
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2006, 09:22:47 PM »

The X1600 will play any game, just don't expect the highest possible quality. Also, I don't think you can upgrade the video card on an iMac.

To be honest I'd get a Macbook and a PS2.  Tongue
-Jack-
Kickin' it old school
Legend

DT imba

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2006, 09:34:20 PM »

To be honest I'd get a Macbook and a PS2.  Tongue

Haha good times..

gnrevolution.com
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2006, 12:37:32 AM »

Now is a terrible time to buy a graphics card. DX10 is coming soon. Obviously, the X1600 is a good choice because it's not too expensive, and you know it doesn't have to last that long.  Wink

Avoid Macs like the plague. Hell, get a PC and use a Mac emulator if you absolutely must experience a Mac, although an early 90's one at that. Macs haven't been good in the last 10 years or so, at least.
Gunner80
ohh..My somber smile
Legend

A delivery boy from the past

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2006, 01:33:09 AM »

DX10 is not going to be good for about another two years. WindowsXP can't even run DX10, it's Vista only. Also, Macs aren't gaming rigs.

The Rolling Stones, greatest Rock N' Roll band ever, period!
Where is Hassan Nasrallah ?
Coco
Legend

S?gol?ne Royal

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2006, 06:28:02 AM »

get a PC with two NVIDIA GeForce 7950 GX2

and oblivion isnt running perfectly on todays cards (max details)

macs. yeah. intel core or not, osx still runs on unix.

cause Vista is gonna suck ass. very much. they got crazy over security and shit. hell of a user experience.

Prometheus
VIP

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2006, 12:03:46 PM »

well if the x1900xt-x wont run it on max then nothing will, it is the fastest card on the market and most of its core dont even get used tot he fullest until sm3.0 in the next gen of games...... if i had the cash now id run dual 1900's and say everything be damned for 3 years..... granted i would still have a PhysX card running for that extra bit of eumfff.....

on the oblivion im running a 9600XT 256MB P4 3.06 gig of ram, the weakest part is the card.... and im running the game on "dumb" (dumb for even tring to play it) and it does play ok....untill i get 3 or more enimes on the go at once then my system is getting murdered, now i wish i had gone PCI-E with my last upgrade, though i guess my pattern of not buying gen1 is still holding true, because i would ahve gotten a single PCI-E board, and been pissed because of the duals out now...... so ill drop 400 buck in september and get a dual board and some lower end PCI-e card.....  or ill drop 600 and get a good midrange card, that is crossfire capable

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: