Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 09:38:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227821 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  French Papers Knock Lance Armstrong.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: French Papers Knock Lance Armstrong.  (Read 4529 times)
Brody
« on: July 19, 2006, 11:51:01 AM »

Europe

The Times    July 19, 2006

Lance Armstrong yesterday. A joke was misunderstood, he says (Stefano Rellandini/Reuters)

Lance Armstrong insult kicks off a tour de farce
From Adam Sage in Paris

LANCE ARMSTRONG, the American cyclist who won the Tour de France for a record seven times before retiring last year, is facing a wave of Gallic outrage today after describing the French football team as ?assholes?.

The comment has provoked indignation in France, adding to the strain on Franco-American relations. Armstrong, 34 ? who seems to enshrine everything that the French dislike about the US ? joined his former team-mates in the French Alps on Monday and said he would follow today?s leg of the Tour in a car. French commentators said that the atmosphere was likely to be electric.

The state-owned radio station France Info described his presence as a provocation, and the newspaper France Soir greeted his arrival with the front-page headline ?Welcome in France, Trouduc? ? short for trou du cul (asshole).

Armstrong had been making a jocular reference to the head-butt that resulted in the French football captain Zin?dine Zidane ? a national hero ? being sent off in the World Cup final. The tabloid said that the reference was unpardonable.

Armstrong had slighted the honour of the vanquished Bleus and indeed of the French nation, France Soir said, adding for good measure that he was a friend of President Bush.

Asked about it in an interview last night, Armstrong replied: ?It was a joke. You don?t understand.? Then he walked off camera.

The Texan ? who claims to be the victim of a smear campaign in France after being accused by the newspaper L??quipe of using performance-enhancing drugs ? had been speaking during a sporting awards ceremony for the ESPN television channel in Los Angeles last week. ?All their players have tested positive for being assholes,? he said.

Afterwards he said he had toned down his usual language for public consumption. ?If they?d heard me at home, they?d know that was a step down.?

Johan Bruyneel, the manager of Armstrong?s old team, Discovery Channel, said the remark had been intended as humorous ?but the sense of humour is not the same everywhere?.

The controversy has fuelled acrimony between Armstrong and the country where he achieved greatness after recovering from cancer to win every Tour from 1999 to 2005.

The allegations of drug abuse ? denied vigorously by Armstrong ? brought a vitriolic response in France, where he had long been viewed with suspicion, partly because of his nationality and partly because of his dominance on les routes du Tour. Armstrong said that the Tour de France organisers had never liked him. ?They were happy to see me go.?

Yesterday he said he had decided to visit the race known as la Grande Boucle after the doping scandal that prevented his old rivals Jan Ullrich, of Germany and Ivan Basso, of Italy, from competing in this year?s event.

?I think that now is the time that fans of cycling have to stand up and say ?I?m a fan?.

?I want to come and I want to be supportive, not just of the team, not just of the race, but of the sport of cycling, which to me is still the most beautiful sport there is,? he said.

However, his presence was a reminder of what The Tour is lacking this year, according to Le Monde. The race needed un patron capable of leading the other riders towards the final leg on the Champs Elys?es on Sunday, it said.

?It?s not easy for anyone to shed old habits after years of absolute power for the American master, the greatest dictator l

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,13509-2276107,00.html

Sounds like a bit of jealousy to me..
Bill 213
Legend

The buck stops here!

« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2006, 12:33:02 PM »

Ha, Lance and France's little spat goes back a while I think, they accused him of being roided up a few years back.  Zidane should headbutt him.

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Slashead
Banned
VIP

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2006, 12:42:33 PM »

By the way, his buddy Floyd Landis lost the Tour de France this afternoon...
« Last Edit: July 19, 2006, 12:45:50 PM by Slashead » Logged

I'll download it !
Jessica
aged 12 years in 12 years
Legend

Still there

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2006, 06:39:32 PM »

I've seen two interviews of Lance and if that was humor, i am mother theresa. he was plain rude.

Nothing to say
Drew
milf n' cookies
Legend

Counting the signs & cursing the miles in between.

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2006, 07:15:16 PM »

The French will not ever let go of these drug abuse allegations. It's a thorn in there side they can't pull out beacuse of Lance's dominance of the Tour the last seven years. It is a smear campaign led by the French papers. Just take a look at the papers and how biased they are. If a Frenchman wins a stage, it's all pride, glory, honor, hard work, and determination. But if another countrymen wins a stage, let the bullshit begin with drug and cheating allegations out of their asses.

"If you keep going over the past, you're going to end up with a thousand pasts and no future." - The Secret in Their Eyes
Will
An American in Paris
Legend

State of love and trust

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2006, 07:20:30 PM »

But if another countrymen wins a stage, let the bullshit begin with drug and cheating allegations out of their asses.

Richard Virenque, a very well known and (back then) respected French cyclist got shit because people found out he used illegal substances as well. We're not all that bad and biased. Smiley
There are a few good people here as well. Smiley

And this should be in the Sports section.

Drew
milf n' cookies
Legend

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2006, 07:30:25 PM »

But if another countrymen wins a stage, let the bullshit begin with drug and cheating allegations out of their asses.

Richard Virenque, a very well known and (back then) respected French cyclist got shit because people found out he used illegal substances as well. We're not all that bad and biased. Smiley

Ok my wording was not good. I never meant to come across as saying all or the majority of French people are bad or biased. I don't think that at all. Smiley I just believe that for a long time there is and has been a witchhunt for Lance by alot of people in the Tour organization and the French media.

"If you keep going over the past, you're going to end up with a thousand pasts and no future." - The Secret in Their Eyes
Kaybee
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2006, 07:46:31 PM »

Yeah in Lance's first book he states a few times that he has always had a fairly continuous love-hate relationship with the French press. I think he is still very pissed off by the fact that they accused him of taking steroids... and even after continuously receiving negative results in drug-tests, they continue to accuse him.

Anyway, Lance has always admitted that he is an arrogant Texan, and makes no apologies for it. I think he comes across as extremely rude sometimes, but that's just him. When you have been that dominant and good at something, you're allowed to have some arrogance about you.
Brody
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2006, 04:29:21 AM »

Difference is Lance didnt.. And seeing that hes a cancer survivor i doubt he would out such things in his body!
Drew
milf n' cookies
Legend

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2006, 06:45:36 PM »

Maybe not. Did you see Landis' kick ass Stage 17 performance today?

Slashead
Banned
VIP

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2006, 12:38:26 AM »

Maybe not. Did you see Landis' kick ass Stage 17 performance today?
Yes I saw it. crying
My fellow citizen Pereiro (I'm from the same town as him) is in a bad position before tomorrrow's stage against the clock. crying

I'll download it !
Drew
milf n' cookies
Legend

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2006, 11:24:43 AM »

Floyd Landis is back in the yellow jersey after today's Stage 19 time trial! yes ok

beer beer beer

Brody
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2006, 11:35:05 AM »

Floyd Landis is back in the yellow jersey after today's Stage 19 time trial! yes ok

beer beer beer

Take that france!! Awesome..

He will probably get accused of cheating.. steroid use.. or some shit..
« Last Edit: July 22, 2006, 11:39:09 AM by Brody » Logged
Slashead
Banned
VIP

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2006, 12:16:44 PM »

Awesome Landis ! He deserves the victory.

Nevertheless, Pereiro and Sastre did a tactical mistake on Thursday's stage : they waited too long before chasing Landis. Without that mistake Pereiro would have win. Cry

But as I said : Landis is a great champion.

I'll download it !
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: