Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:15:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227698 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  Last computer question... is 2GB of RAM worth it?
Pages: 1 2 [All] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Last computer question... is 2GB of RAM worth it?  (Read 12912 times)
-Jack-
Kickin' it old school
Legend

DT imba

« on: June 17, 2006, 01:58:44 AM »

Hey guys.. im getting my computer tomorrow and I want to know if I should shell out for 2GB of RAM. (2 slots with 1GB in each)

Im not really gonna "NEED" the extra RAM (im not really doing any heavy video editing or nothing), but I seriously just want my desktop to run fast all the time with many app's open simultaniously. Also, I want to somewhat future proof my computer.

Can this be done with 1GB...?

2GB wont hurt right?

What would YOU guys do?

-jack

gnrevolution.com
Brody
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2006, 02:37:56 AM »

Could you tell us what kind of computer? system specs and all that good stuff..
-Jack-
Kickin' it old school
Legend

DT imba

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2006, 02:54:39 AM »

Heh.. you'll laugh if you dislike macs. http://www.apple.com/imac/whatsinside.html. Im getting the iMac 17 inch screen pro duo and either upgrading to one or two GB of RAM.

Is 2GB worth it if I honestly want no application lag, ect? Will my computer run better or is it just overkill?

gnrevolution.com
estranged.1098
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2006, 03:28:21 AM »

For general usage it won't make a difference.
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2006, 03:34:33 AM »

Yes it will. The initial loading will be slow, but once that's done, everything will open in a second. If u have the money, go for some fast 2GB RAM.

Fuck 'Em All.
-Jack-
Kickin' it old school
Legend

DT imba

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2006, 04:05:28 AM »

Yes it will. The initial loading will be slow, but once that's done, everything will open in a second. If u have the money, go for some fast 2GB RAM.

"512MB (single SODIMM) of PC2-5300 (667MHz) DDR2 memory; two SODIMM slots support up to 2GB"

Is that fast?

gnrevolution.com
Genesis
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2006, 04:17:42 AM »

512MB (single SODIMM) of PC2-5300 (667MHz) DDR2 memory; two SODIMM slots support up to 2GB
Is that fast?

Sure, it's fast. But it all depends on how much u can afford to spend. The best (and fastest) RAM available is the OCZ EL PC2-8000 (1000Mhz)  XTC 2GB kit, but they are very expensive. Since u aren't going to be stressing out your system, get a 2GB kit in the 800Mhz range.

P.S: The above mentioned RAM may not be available as a SODIMM. I'm not sure what memory products are available for a Mac.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2006, 04:23:51 AM by Genesis » Logged

Fuck 'Em All.
Brody
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2006, 04:54:35 AM »

Heh.. you'll laugh if you dislike macs. http://www.apple.com/imac/whatsinside.html. Im getting the iMac 17 inch screen pro duo and either upgrading to one or two GB of RAM.

Is 2GB worth it if I honestly want no application lag, ect? Will my computer run better or is it just overkill?

Ok you will laugh that is the computer I have and i highly recomment 2gb because not all apps are universal binary!
Brody
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2006, 04:56:08 AM »

512MB (single SODIMM) of PC2-5300 (667MHz) DDR2 memory; two SODIMM slots support up to 2GB
Is that fast?

Sure, it's fast. But it all depends on how much u can afford to spend. The best (and fastest) RAM available is the OCZ EL PC2-8000 (1000Mhz)  XTC 2GB kit, but they are very expensive. Since u aren't going to be stressing out your system, get a 2GB kit in the 800Mhz range.

P.S: The above mentioned RAM may not be available as a SODIMM. I'm not sure what memory products are available for a Mac.

The Above mentioned ram will not work in an Imac! Macs are very sensitive when it comes to ram Jack be careful where u buy it from!

Here ya go  http://www.newegg.com/Product/CustRatingReview.asp?Item=N82E16820231066 81 bucks a gig not bad at all..
« Last Edit: June 17, 2006, 04:58:46 AM by Brody » Logged
-Jack-
Kickin' it old school
Legend

DT imba

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2006, 04:58:00 AM »

Is that fast?

The Above mentioned ram will not work in an Imac! Macs are very sensitive when it comes to ram Jack be careful where u buy it from!

Lol thanks for the warning but im pretty sure it works.. its off the offical apple iMac "tech specs" page (i posted it up in my second post of the thread) but thank you for the concern brody!

EDIT: O shit Brody my bad broha, you were talking about what Genesis mentioned. Yeah your right. Thanks pal! I'll go for the 2 GB then. Thanks again!

gnrevolution.com
Brody
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2006, 05:00:05 AM »

dont buy from mac.. There mem is way to expensive and for half the price you can get 2gb and do it yourself.. Its too easy not to.
Where is Hassan Nasrallah ?
Coco
Legend

S?gol?ne Royal

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2006, 06:17:07 AM »

dont buy from mac.. There mem is way to expensive and for half the price you can get 2gb and do it yourself.. Its too easy not to.

on the other hand osx runs smoothly with way less ram than what vista is gonna ask ....

Genesis
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2006, 06:26:33 AM »

The OCZ isn't available for Macs.  no

Anyway, bottomline being, if u can get the 2GB RAM then go for it.  ok

Fuck 'Em All.
Prometheus
VIP

I've been working all week on one of them.....

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2006, 01:10:46 PM »

on the other hand osx runs smoothly with way less ram than what vista is gonna ask ....

on that note..... what is the lowest you ahve actually seen XP running on.... processor vid card ram. because we all know XP loves resources

........oh wait..... nooooooo...... How come there aren't any fake business seminars in Newfoundland?!?? Sad? ............
Genesis
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2006, 01:54:11 PM »

on that note..... what is the lowest you ahve actually seen XP running on.... processor vid card ram. because we all know XP loves resources

I've run XP fine on a Pentium MMX 200Mhz with 64MB SDRAM and a S3Trio64 card with 1MB VRAM.

Fuck 'Em All.
Gunner80
ohh..My somber smile
Legend

A delivery boy from the past

« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2006, 02:00:58 PM »

Yes it is. Your apps will love it.

P.S. To the above poster, that is a lie and you know it.

The Rolling Stones, greatest Rock N' Roll band ever, period!
Genesis
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2006, 02:04:47 PM »

No it's not. The computer I have at home is a Compaq Deskpro 1000, that initially came with 16MB RAM. XP runs fine with all the eye candy disabled.

Fuck 'Em All.
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2006, 02:57:36 PM »

RAM speed is only important for extr33m overclockers. Get 2 gigs of cheap-ass RAM and it will work fine, unless you're making a gaming system. And even then, better RAM is the last thing to spend money on for a gaming system, since better improvements can be had from upgrading just about everything else first. If you're not making a gaming computer, a single gig of RAM will work fine.

I really recommend waiting until Vista, unless you're a kvlt Unix fan. Now is a bad time to get a new computer.
Genesis
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2006, 03:02:18 PM »

Now is a bad time to get a new computer.

Quite true, for other reasons as well. Both Intel and AMD are coming out with new architectures later this year. You might want to wait till then. Of course if u're a strict Mac fan, then it doesn't matter.

Fuck 'Em All.
-Jack-
Kickin' it old school
Legend

DT imba

« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2006, 03:52:04 PM »

Quite true, for other reasons as well. Both Intel and AMD are coming out with new architectures later this year. You might want to wait till then. Of course if u're a strict Mac fan, then it doesn't matter.

My computer is from '99. A G3 iMac... with 128MB of RAM and a 20GB HD running OSX 10.2.8. Anytime is good for a new computer  hihi.

Thanks though guys for helping me out.. im leaving to get it now...

-jack

gnrevolution.com
Brody
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2006, 12:29:55 AM »

RAM speed is only important for extr33m overclockers. Get 2 gigs of cheap-ass RAM and it will work fine, unless you're making a gaming system. And even then, better RAM is the last thing to spend money on for a gaming system, since better improvements can be had from upgrading just about everything else first. If you're not making a gaming computer, a single gig of RAM will work fine.

I really recommend waiting until Vista, unless you're a kvlt Unix fan. Now is a bad time to get a new computer.

Im was running vista.. now just os x and xp..
Prometheus
VIP

I've been working all week on one of them.....

« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2006, 07:58:53 PM »

No it's not. The computer I have at home is a Compaq Deskpro 1000, that initially came with 16MB RAM. XP runs fine with all the eye candy disabled.

hahah i do beleive ya as I have actually set it up on a junker computer just to see and like you it ran fine. I did find a great balence though and it was @ P2 400 with 128MB ram and a radeon 7000 64mb with tv out... it was /is teh orgional radeon design. and i used that for about 9 monthsas my e-mail / WC3 game machine plus i used it as my DVD player and hooked it to the stero in the house for parties.... kept the good comp clean from e-mail and only for gaming... now it sits idle...... awaiting this coming upgrade and it shall be turned into a flie server for the network.... store teh MP3s and tv show/ovies and all that on it

........oh wait..... nooooooo...... How come there aren't any fake business seminars in Newfoundland?!?? Sad? ............
Gunner80
ohh..My somber smile
Legend

A delivery boy from the past

« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2006, 02:52:27 PM »

Intel's Conroe comes out July 23rd 2006. Can't wait, it's suppose to be a gaming monster.

The Rolling Stones, greatest Rock N' Roll band ever, period!
BORN TO DIE
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2006, 06:12:52 AM »

Listen
I have 1280 ddr rams ,and its not enough for me
And im not doing hard core gaming or something
Rams are needed always for running your pc smoothly,if u can afford it ,then buy it,yes.
2gb shall be enough for 2years from now on,depens on games or editing,if u ever decide to do.
And if u not,then cool again,buyx it.

WHY DONT YOU JUST.....FUCK OFF

HOPE U NEVER FIND HOB 01.01.2001 (LMAO )

Tomorrow will take us away
Far from home
No one will ever know our names
But the bards' songs will remain
Pages: 1 2 [All] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: