Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 08:56:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227805 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Wake up, it's time to play!
| |-+  Nice Boys Don't Play Rock And Roll
| | |-+  (any instrument)losing interest or unable to learn more?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: (any instrument)losing interest or unable to learn more?  (Read 4121 times)
SuperMike
« on: June 18, 2006, 10:54:28 PM »

I've been trying to learn how to play guitar for 3 years, but I really haven't gotten anywhere. I don't feel I'm able to learn more or go any further. I wish it was the kind of hobby where it could release stress but it isn't. I'm taking a break and will see if it comes back to me later. I'm thinking about picking up drums.

did this happen to anyone before?
St_Jimmyuk
VIP

Im Right next door to hell...

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2006, 05:21:04 AM »

my guitar playing has slowed down, started because i was too busy to play but sometimes im just too lazy to go pick up my guitar.  Now i want to play but my room is being redecorated so i got no space to play and my parents don't really want to listen to me play damn i wish i was back at uni then i can lay all i want

- They call me Lenny...... But that's not my name, that's not my name.
unoturbo
The Little engineer that could
VIP

With 5 million I could do what You spend 50mil on

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2006, 05:25:29 PM »

I've been trying to learn how to play guitar for 3 years, but I really haven't gotten anywhere. I don't feel I'm able to learn more or go any further. I wish it was the kind of hobby where it could release stress but it isn't. I'm taking a break and will see if it comes back to me later. I'm thinking about picking up drums.

did this happen to anyone before?

Hell yeah! Exact same experience. I've been playing about 7 years now and although it's all new and exciting at first, you reach a point where you get stuck and can't seem to learn anymore. Infact it's possible to quantify this in a time versus wowness graph:

You reach the plateau's and get bored and feel like you're going no-where. Afet a bit though, you'll go back to a song you could never play before and be able to do it! And then you'll embark up the next wowness slant!

My advice would be to give it a break if you're not enjoying it and pick it up a bit later. Or buy a fancy effects pedal! You'll get back into it thwen no time as you sound a hell of a lot better!

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people
who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
alexh0618
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2006, 12:38:13 AM »

If you have trouble learning, maybe you should try to get a teacher to help.
WhosGilby?
Rocker

Now we all know better!

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2006, 11:43:03 PM »

Yeah get lessons

So bitersweet this tragedy Won't ask for absolution
This melody, inside of me Still searches for solution
Johnny Rattlesnake
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2006, 11:06:28 AM »

Start a band or play with others!  You end up playing what you know or just what you want when you play by yourself.
Other people are into different stuff and if you end up playing something you don't normally play(or like); it  makes the stuff you do like seem easier.  Also, you may end up liking what they bring to the table or learning a new riff or technique.
This brings something new to your routine, cause sometimes you do get bored with what you know.

Bill 213
Legend

The buck stops here!

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2006, 08:33:29 PM »

I agree, get lessons because that's the only way you'll learn a lot of stuff.  You can only teach yourself so much.  As for another option like the person above me said, find other people to jam with.  People that can play and teach you, or people that are about at your level of playing.  This way you can learn together.  When you have someone playing alongside of you it always drove me to play better and not let that person down.  I quit playing guitar in bands about 3 years ago due to work and now when I pick it up it's boring.  I don't have anyone around to jam with and I just don't have the passion I used to have.  It's amazing how much stuff you can forget too.

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: