Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 12:11:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227825 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Wolfmother anyone?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Wolfmother anyone?  (Read 15768 times)
Tomorrows
VIP

Stick to your guns

« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2006, 09:19:51 PM »

They've been out here in Aus for a while now. Don't mean to be rude.. but they're more or less a rip-off band, just like "our" other band Jet. Wolfmother are too much like Black Sabbath, with bits of the White Stripes and Zeppelin added in. I honestly don't like them, if only because I like the original bands better.

Interesting point - they had something like 5 or 6 songs in the (triple j) top 100 countdown for '05 which is pretty amazing.

Yea exactly. When you listen to a band in 2006 you dont want to be saying things like "Hey they sound exactly like rock did 30 years ago".

Theyre fun to watch live but they aint doing anything special.

Why not? Rock in the 70's was the best. I'd much rather listed to a band that has a 70's sound then listen to bands like bullet for my valentine or avenged sevenfold.

I love rock from that period too. In fact, its pretty much all I listen to besides GN'R.

But, like, what does a band contribute to the world if they just carbon copy a bunch of stuff that has been done. We got the classics, and I love them, but Im more interested in bands that actually add to their genres.
mdttkk
Rocker

« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2006, 10:24:02 PM »

i have a feeling these guys are gonna be a really big band.  well hopefully they turn alot of people away from emo music and whatever else crap is shown on music channels these days.
oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2006, 09:39:15 AM »

i have a feeling these guys are gonna be a really big band.? well hopefully they turn alot of people away from emo music and whatever else crap is shown on music channels these days.

this band is so much better than the crap polutting the rock airwaves these days....they play Mother alot on the rock station by me but that's not even close to the best song on the album....

another band I like that has new material out is Buckcherry.....from the video, Josh Todd looks like he knows how to have a good time hihi

I mean, how many times can they play Nickelback, TOAD, et all

It all sounds the fucking same I can't tell which band is which
vietnow138
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2006, 05:02:20 PM »

I get what you guys are saying about them sounding a lot like Sabbath but they're definately not a rip off band. You could say that about any band, you could say all Zeppelin did was rip off Robert Johnson or that Stone Temple Pilots ripped off Pearl Jam because you heard the song Plush and saw a similarity. What good bands do is take things that aleady existed and push them further. Personally I really don't see that much of a similarity to call them rip off artists and to me they sound like they could fit into any time peroid after 1969 (including today) and sound relevent to what was happening musically.
TheAtomicPunk5150
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2006, 05:18:47 PM »

Here is why wolfmother is a good band. They basically realized that 70s era rock n roll was great, so they thought "hey, if it aint broke don't fix it" Why should rock move in a new lame direction(like emo, hardcore, screamo..all that crap) when 70s rock still sounds good today. I'm glad to see some more zep influenced bands.
oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2006, 09:17:38 PM »

how can you criticize a band for sounding a bit like Zeppelin and Sabbath hihi

the guy can't help th way his voice sounds, he was born with it peace

must suck sounding a bit like ozzy and plant though rofl   
Butch Français
Legend

« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2006, 01:08:28 PM »

they're quite allright, even though it's nothing new. they sound like a mix of a handful of bands.
oh well, as long as they do it well, I guess?
listening to them now btw  Cheesy

of course there is no us and them, but them they do not think the same
blues rocker
Banned
Rocker

ANGUS YOUNG - AC/DC

« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2006, 10:57:05 AM »

eh...they're decent....just another one of those rock revival bands that fails to make music with the same energy as great bands of the past...

much like jet....they have an old school sound, but their music just sounds too mellow and lazy...lacking any real power...

if you want real old-school rock with power and energy....go with buckcherry...they're the only band that has really maintained the power and energy of rock n roll.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2006, 10:59:14 AM by blues rocker » Logged
The Dog
Legend

« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2006, 07:23:52 PM »

Here is why wolfmother is a good band. They basically realized that 70s era rock n roll was great, so they thought "hey, if it aint broke don't fix it" Why should rock move in a new lame direction(like emo, hardcore, screamo..all that crap) when 70s rock still sounds good today. I'm glad to see some more zep influenced bands.

I agree, theres nothing wrong with sounding like an awesome band.  I'd rather they sound like zep or sabbath then limp bizkit or fall out boy.  real rock died a while ago, heres to hoping new bands can bring it back.   beer  Wolfmother sounds cool from what I've heard.

"You're the worst character ever Towelie."
Shirell
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2006, 12:22:58 PM »

This band is rockin.  Just bought their CD.
gilld1
Banned
VIP

Spiraling up through the crack in the skye...

« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2006, 11:55:48 PM »

I really like this album.  Classic sound without being Darkness about things.  If you like these guys check out The Sword.
2NaFish
Harbinger of doom and gloom
Legend

Something Witty.

« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2006, 09:23:48 AM »

nothing special
zakas80
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2006, 10:24:32 AM »

i just heard the album the other day after seeing this thread, i enjoyed it much ok

Its what used to be's not there for me
And oughta find someone that belonged insane like i do
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2006, 08:15:51 PM »

there alright...not a patch on roadstar or the answer though.

---edit----

dig that cross between john paul jones and cliff burton bass playing though.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2006, 08:45:02 PM by mrlee » Logged

html sucks
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2006, 08:18:48 PM »

Has anyone heard that new band called Wolfmother? They remind me a lot of Zeppelin and Sabbath but with definately with a modern sound. If you havent listened to them yet you should they're one of the best bands out right now. Lately they've even began to get some good air play, which is great considering there hasn't been too many really good new rock n' roll bands.

You can hear them hear:? http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=18035203

spot on.. they sound like zepplin with ozzy singing..  its awsome.. if your looking for some ground breaking music then this isn't for you.. but if your a 70's ande 80s rock fan you will def like this band. 
ClintroN
The board won't let me use a longer name than this!
Legend

Gimme some fuckin' Democracy

« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2006, 05:07:08 AM »

Has anyone heard that new band called Wolfmother? They remind me a lot of Zeppelin and Sabbath but with definately with a modern sound. If you havent listened to them yet you should they're one of the best bands out right now. Lately they've even began to get some good air play, which is great considering there hasn't been too many really good new rock n' roll bands.

You can hear them hear:  http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=18035203

spot on.. they sound like zepplin with ozzy singing..  its awsome.. if your looking for some ground breaking music then this isn't for you.. but if your a 70's ande 80s rock fan you will def like this band. 

yeah, the REAL DEAL!!!

www.myspace.com/killmondays

GNR - Brizvegas - AUSTRALIA
June -19th 
         -20th, 2007
Kujo
I wonder why we listen to poets,when nobody gives a fuck
Legend

« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2006, 11:49:48 AM »

They sound good live too. Not just a studio band. Looking forward to them hitting Florida soon.

10/07/92 Columbia, SC
04/16/93 Chapel Hill, NC
05/12/06 NYC
05/14/06 NYC
05/15/06 NYC
05/17/06 NYC
10/24/06 Sunrise, FL
10/25/06 St. Pete, FL
10/27/06 Estero, FL
10/28/11 Orlando, FL
vietnow138
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2006, 02:45:17 AM »

They sound good live too. Not just a studio band. Looking forward to them hitting Florida soon.

I would imagine they'd be great live, i have a 30 minute concert of them that I downloaded off iTunes that's really good. Too bad the show at the Hollwood Palladium is 18 and over or else I'd be seeing them too!
Nytunz
Legend

Spiral Out.....

« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2006, 07:30:11 AM »

i saw Wolfmother on the Roskilde Festival in Danmark this summer.. They were amazing! Great band.. But i need to listen more to theyr cd..

Nytunz.blogspot.com

DONT YOU TRY TO STOP US NOW!!

CENSORSHIP IS A CANCER..
Acquiesce
VIP

« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2006, 02:03:11 PM »

Yea exactly. When you listen to a band in 2006 you dont want to be saying things like "Hey they sound exactly like rock did 30 years ago".

Theyre fun to watch live but they aint doing anything special.

There are plenty of people out there that miss the 70's and 80's sound of rock but yet when we get a new band with that sound they are always criticized as being unoriginal and rips offs.  Huh

There's not much orginality in rock today anyway. I'd rather listen to an unoriginal 70's style band than yet another unoriginal cookie cutter emo band.

I haven't heard Wolfmother's cd yet but the two songs I've heard were pretty good.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: