Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 01, 2024, 08:26:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227981 Posts in 43256 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  boring solos, long breaks, bad press and audience running away
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: boring solos, long breaks, bad press and audience running away  (Read 14770 times)
ColdRose
Banned
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2006, 12:14:37 PM »

The solos are actually great  they show the talent of the band and actually gives the audiennce abit of evrtyhting.  Ive seen them this time around and they are awesome probaly one of the best live acts right now. evryone focuses on the negative not the positive why cant people just be happy that they are finaly on the road doing there thing and doing it well.  Im glad to see its not all about axl and to  be honest the chemistry is much better with these guys then the original line -up
whiny
Rocker

a boy with urban needs, plant him some urban seeds

« Reply #41 on: July 01, 2006, 12:20:48 PM »

to make my point clear: it's not that i don't like one or another solo... but it's up to eight solos plus some jam and a lot of breaks during the concerts; it's like some kind of rehearsal for many people, not a concert: and it's not that people are just a bit bored or randomly complaining: I HAVE WITNESSED THOUSANDS and THOUSANDS OF PEOPLE GOING AWAY at Nova Rock from what should be the biggest rock band on the planet; even some hardcore fans went shaking their heads! when you see metallica win hundretthousand people over, and even the bloodhoundgang can do that, it is a tragedy for a gnr fan, that the headliner of a festival can't make people stay! AND HERE'S MY POINT AGAIN: people were starting to really dig the concert... but after four songs the energy was gone because the solos and long pauses started. this is one (among others) major reason the press is giving bad reviews: this is not a good thing for the promotion of chinese democracy and the new guns; getting rid of the solos, the whole concerts would have had a different character, yeah would have been AMAZING

"The universe is shaped exactly like the earth -
If you go straight long enough you'll end up where you were"
julyrain
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #42 on: July 01, 2006, 12:23:02 PM »

I only want to address the apologists who think Axl's age is the reason he needs to catch his breath during performances.  I agree that Axl puts everything into his performances.  However, his physical condition is being affected far more by his off-stage performance than what he's doing on stage.  He's bragged about his drug use in the past and continues to at least smoke and drink openly.  Just a few days ago, he was so wasted that he was arrested in Stockholm and should have been sent to daycare after he was released from jail.  I don't know anyone who can drink all night and then perform anything physically challenging at a high level the next day - oh, yes, I'm sure some of you keyboard olympians have, I forgot about you.  If you're going to excel at what you do, you have to be fit - mentally and physically.  All of the things Axl has done and continues to do have affected his body negatively.  He and some of you may think drugs and alcohol are fine, but they have a HUGE impact on your body.   I exercise frequently and know many people older than Axl who can run circles around him all day because they are conditioned and ignore drugs and drink.  Axl used oxygen masks as far back as '92 and yet he still smoked.   
Krispy Kreme
« Reply #43 on: July 01, 2006, 12:31:53 PM »

I think one or two solos would be ok, in order to introduce the band. But for me the question is the number of solos; there are too many and they break the momentum of the show.
theillusion
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #44 on: July 01, 2006, 01:04:12 PM »

I agree with "whiny" because this is new gnr of 2000's and not old gnr of 80's/90's. this is the gnr reality. because it is there should be no more jams or solos of any kind at any future gnr live show. there shouldn't be because stinson, finck, fortus, brain, pittman, and even bumblefoot did not sign on gnr to only be a hired hand paid millionaire. they came to gnr for change. the change with the new songs they have done since 1999 on. they did not join gnr to do songs the old band did and to then do solos and meaningless jams sessions. this is 2006. not 1986. axl is living in the past. he is still living his "illusions" while the new guys are struggling to make their efforts come to pass at these concerts. the new songs have to be played. this is the bottom line. there is no getting around it. because international shows are the same as american shows because international gnr fan is the same as an american gnr fan in my book. which means axl should play the new songs for the international fans first and then do it all over again for the americans in the fall. i think it should be done this way. though i think the cd should be released in america first. but when it comes to all the new songs the international fans should get the treat of hearing those live first since this is an international tour currently. it's only fair in my opinion. i want it this way because it will be better for everyone including the new gnr members. 
give_it_a_rest
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #45 on: July 01, 2006, 04:27:05 PM »

Well this is my first post, I am a GN'R fan since 1988/1989 the first GN'R single I bought was sweet child of mine on vinyl!!! back in 1988 or 1989 I can't even remember. I think the new band is absolutely great and I don't miss slash and duff at all because the new bandmembers are absolutely great. I went to concerts of GN'R in the early 90's and there were also these solo's by slash (+10 minutes godfather themes) and matt sorum drum solos, back then. I totaly agree with the guy who said that people are bored very soon these days I think the concerts of 2006 are of the same or even higher level as those of 1992/1993. Axl voice is perfect these days (in 1992/1993 it wasn't!!!) and the solos are a nice way to be introduced to the other bandmembers, so it is not an Axl Rose solo show!!!! Tomorrow i'm going to th concert in Nijmegen where I also was in 1993 and I will post my review I hope it will be as good as what i've heard from the downloads so far.

« Last Edit: July 01, 2006, 04:29:48 PM by give_it_a_rest » Logged
wells
VIP

!!

« Reply #46 on: July 01, 2006, 04:28:27 PM »

Well this is my first post, I am a GN'R fan since 1989 the first GN'R single I bought was sweet child of mine on vinyl!!! back in 1988 or 1989 I can't even remember. I think the new band is absolutely great and I don't miss slash and duff at all because the new bandmembers are absolutely great. I went to concerts of GN'R in the early 90's and there were also these solo's by slash (+10 minutes godfather themes) and matt sorum drum solos, back then. I totaly agree with the guy who said that people are bored very soon these days I think the concerts of 2006 are of the same or even higher level as those of 1992/1993. Axl voice is perfect these days (in 1992/1993 it wasn't!!!) and the solos are a nice way to be introduced to the other bandmembers, so it is not an Axl Rose solo show!!!! Tomorrow i'm going to th concert in Nijmegen where I also was in 1993 and I will post my review I hope it will be as good as what i've heard from the downloads so far.

I am sure that you'll enjoy the show ok
Bravefish
Rocker

Live and Let Die

« Reply #47 on: July 01, 2006, 04:35:46 PM »

Well this is my first post, I am a GN'R fan since 1988/1989 the first GN'R single I bought was sweet child of mine on vinyl!!! back in 1988 or 1989 I can't even remember. I think the new band is absolutely great and I don't miss slash and duff at all because the new bandmembers are absolutely great. I went to concerts of GN'R in the early 90's and there were also these solo's by slash (+10 minutes godfather themes) and matt sorum drum solos, back then. I totaly agree with the guy who said that people are bored very soon these days I think the concerts of 2006 are of the same or even higher level as those of 1992/1993. Axl voice is perfect these days (in 1992/1993 it wasn't!!!) and the solos are a nice way to be introduced to the other bandmembers, so it is not an Axl Rose solo show!!!! Tomorrow i'm going to th concert in Nijmegen where I also was in 1993 and I will post my review I hope it will be as good as what i've heard from the downloads so far.

Yep enjoy Smiley

Fish
SWINGTRADER
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #48 on: July 01, 2006, 04:46:13 PM »

The solos suck balls.  I don't have a problem with the break between songs  I just think they need to come up with something else to do instead.  Maybe Axl can do a couple accoustic songs where he can sit and sing and not be demanding on his vocals .  It would  serve as rest for Axl and entertain the crowd at the same time . 
evergreen_layne
Rocker

People have waited a long time for this

« Reply #49 on: July 01, 2006, 05:07:21 PM »

The solos suck balls. I don't have a problem with the break between songs I just think they need to come up with something else to do instead. Maybe Axl can do a couple accoustic songs where he can sit and sing and not be demanding on his vocals . It would serve as rest for Axl and entertain the crowd at the same time .

I can kinda see your point but this whole band is constantly evolving.  Its been going on for years and its going on now and its gonna keep on going.  So the solos will get better if they're even bad now.  All the stuff I've heard has been cool.  Fortus is talented and he deserves the spotlight a few times because he doesn't draw a lot of attention playing rhythm.  Big Finck fan too.   

11.08.02 - Tacoma Dome, Tacoma, WA
12.10.06 - Everett Events Center, Everett, WA
12.11.06 - Rose Garden Arena, Portland, OR
Origen
« Reply #50 on: July 01, 2006, 05:09:14 PM »

Let the guitarists sing a song, like Dust N Bones and they could about a verse each  Lips Sealed
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #51 on: July 01, 2006, 05:12:44 PM »

The solo's are truly dire - they could easily cut a good 30 mins from the set and still have played the same number of songs

Gnr are hardly the awesome live band i'd expected.

Quick! To the bandwagon!
theillusion
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #52 on: July 01, 2006, 07:45:36 PM »

The solo's are truly dire - they could easily cut a good 30 mins from the set and still have played the same number of songs

That's because they don't play enough of the new songs which will be on the cd "Chinese Democracy" if they did then they would appear the best live band.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #53 on: July 01, 2006, 08:23:05 PM »

You went to how many shows so far?

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #54 on: July 01, 2006, 08:34:54 PM »

I would like to see Robin dump one of his solos and bring back sossego. I loved when he did that song. It was great.

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
bitch_slap_rappin
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #55 on: July 01, 2006, 09:02:07 PM »

The number of solos is indeed a relevant topic of discussion. If they (the solos) were full of brilliant, mindblowing ideas and were really cool, I would have had no problem with there being as many solos as there is. However, when a solo comes across as either dull, uninspired or jerking-off-shred-type of thing it kills some of/all the positive energy that's been built up between band and crowd and lowers the overall impression of the gig.

Maybe that's axl's intention in order to avoid complete havoc among the crowds (people being crushed to death and similar worst case scenarios) but still...

Having said that, it's good that each member gets attention. How else are the fans going to learn to appreciate them?

And I think ron's version of don't cry is cool. If he could do the same with other songs it would be interesting as well.

The Christina Aguilera thing would be cool and a good laugh as a one-off thing. not every show...
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #56 on: July 01, 2006, 09:22:42 PM »

The Christina Aguilera thing would be cool and a good laugh as a one-off thing. not every show...

It is a one-off thing for those who only go to one show...  Roll Eyes

Not everybody obsess over setlists and read them online. Many people just go to the show closest to them and enjoy it.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
theillusion
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #57 on: July 01, 2006, 09:53:35 PM »

How else are the fans going to learn to appreciate them?

Simple answer: play the new songs  beer
estranged2006
Banned
Rocker

Barbara K Bodine is a Fucking Whore. Traitor

« Reply #58 on: July 01, 2006, 09:54:04 PM »

everyone thinks the solos are the best things ever and shouldnt be taken from the show! or everyone thinks they are the worst things of the show!  most peoples hate the solos and they are boring and people leave the show when they play so many long solos.  axl should know that most peoples dont like to listen to long boring solos between the songs and just drop them!

the only people who wants them to stay are the ones who think its ok to bite the security guard.
estranged2006
Banned
Rocker

Barbara K Bodine is a Fucking Whore. Traitor

« Reply #59 on: July 01, 2006, 09:55:41 PM »

How else are the fans going to learn to appreciate them?

Simple answer: play the new songs  beer

haha thats too simple! keep playing old songs and long solos and it will get a rumor of being a shit show! also no slash too.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: