Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 03:03:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228061 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Newcastle July 19th 2006 - Metro Radio Arena All Purpose Thread.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 22 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Newcastle July 19th 2006 - Metro Radio Arena All Purpose Thread.  (Read 57990 times)
Ines_rocks!
VIP

We take for granted we know the whole story

« Reply #340 on: July 20, 2006, 08:40:03 AM »

God I don?t get this at all! How come there are asshole like those drunkers that go to the gigs, PAY for the tickets to spoil other?s entertainment??? Damn, this really pisses me off. When I went to RiR I had these 4 or 5 completely smashed guys by my left who spend ALL gig yelling, trowing beer at us (yes, I was trying to FOCUS on the gig as it was so important for me but I had these guys trowing beer at me and my brother), laying on the floor... and (this is true) not even for ONCE they looked to the stage!!! Lips Sealed Now, I really don?t get this!! How come guys like these, and the ones from Newscastle as well go to a gig, pay for it just to spoil everything and get drunk... God it?s so stupid.....

"I've always wanted to have it written in my will that when I die, the coffin shows up a half-hour late and says on the side, like in gold, SORRY I'M LATE." Axl Rose, 1992
mlewis
Rocker

« Reply #341 on: July 20, 2006, 08:44:21 AM »

on the subject of brit audiences out of 4 brit gigs, hammersmith, donnington and now newcastle haven't exactly been kind to gnr so there is a little bit of truth in what some folks are saying about the brit audiences not being kind, at least on this tour

I don't know about the other shows, but I was at Hammersmith. The booing has been completely overplayed; there wasn't that much, just for about 10 mins before they came on, and really it was in jest. Noone was seriously booing the band at least where I was, it was more kind of an ironic chant for them to get on stage- a way of showing enthusiasm. The crowd couldn't have been more into the show, and the band loved it too- we weren't an unkind audience at all! In Donnington most of the reviews by the crowd on general sites were very positive, and don't mention any trouble really- we attract the whingy whiny sorts here who search out fan sites after gigs to vent their teenage angst. Take no notice of them.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2006, 08:46:18 AM by mlewis » Logged
Mandy.
Bitch Queen
Legend

« Reply #342 on: July 20, 2006, 08:44:52 AM »

i agree, if someone throws a scarf, flag, cd, etc etc, nostalgia stuff fine, the minute folks start to throw something that can hurt someone, thats out of order. axl was within his right.

i dont think he woulda walked off if it was the start of the show.

on the subject of brit audiences out of 4 brit gigs, hammersmith, donnington and now newcastle haven't exactly been kind to gnr so there is a little bit of truth in what some folks are saying about the brit audiences not being kind, at least on this tour

Out of the 4 gigs you mentioned, 2 had nothing to do with the crowd (Sheffield and Hammersmith).
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #343 on: July 20, 2006, 08:50:14 AM »

wait wait... where is my topic about the 3 guitar players thing? Huh
deseapeared?

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
Christos AG
Taxi Rider
HTGTH Crew
Legend

Been there, done that...

« Reply #344 on: July 20, 2006, 08:52:17 AM »

What the fuck is up with the British crowd?

They always seem like fat, spoiled brats bitchin on everything. If you're not the new hype then everyone thinks you're shit. One day they all buy your album so next day they can burn it all because everyone and the mags say they suck. No wonder most of the British bands don't do shit outside the UK cause most of them are crap (like latest hype Arctic Monkeys).

In Holland GnR played on a real hot day where all the fans waited outside in the sun in 35 C and never did I hear one BOO. All I heard was "Guns N Roses" as in Get In The RIng . And it was great show where you could see the band enjoy themselves and play the fuck out of every song. Positive reviews all over. Why? Because we came to have a good time instead of pay money to see a band fail and then bitch about how they suck and all. Or throw coins......you Brits need to grow the fuck up and not go see a band of whom you don't like the bandmembers. If give some love you will get a good show if you treat them like shit you get a shit show. It's that fucking simple.

well, i dont know about the UK fans , but you re right about the "feeling" that the band gets from the crowd.... in Greece, we waited for 60-80 minutes , some people started to get pissed off, some of them were chanting for "slash" - very few though  Grin - but as the first riff of "welcome to the jungle" hit us, everybody , and i mean EVERYBODY - even the people who were there just out of curiosiity - had a blast, had a great mood, and it was clear that the band really enjoyed it nad gave us a very cool perfomance...

We didn t wait for 60-80 minutes... There was no announcement about the time that GNR would hit the stage... and they were on stage at 22.00. I don t think that there were people thinking that GNR would be on stage earlier than 22.00 as Star Star were playing till 21.15

I don't get it. Why were you waiting for 60-80 minutes?

What time did you expect GN'R to be on stage? Was there a time schedule I'm not aware of?

Doors were supposed to open at 5.30, they opened at 6.10, GN'R were on stage at 10 sharp, and there was an opening act as well.

I mean, even the newspapers say that GN'R were one hour late, even though the rest of the reviews are amazing. But I never understood where did they see the fuckin delay...

The only things we were aware of is that the doors would open at 5.30 and that there would be 1 or 2 Greek support acts.

The doors opened like 30-40 minutes later and there was one suport act. No delays, no nothing.

As simple as that for Greece.

codenameninja
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #345 on: July 20, 2006, 08:57:51 AM »

so the only new song was The Blues, oh. And they did not play Paradise City, that's really bad. I'm glad that i didn't bother going to the gig, not that i had plans too  hihi if i make one GnR UK gig this year, it'll be Wembly  beer
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #346 on: July 20, 2006, 09:04:35 AM »

wait wait... where is my topic about the 3 guitar players thing? Huh
deseapeared?

Yes, some of this whining needs to stop! You might get the impression this board is for people who fucking hate the band when you look at this section.  Roll Eyes

It's ridiculous. People act like nothing the band does is right. Whining about guitar players, Axl (as usual), setlists, show length, where they play, who's opening for the band, who's making guest appearances and how often, what they're wearing, what Axl didn't say in between songs etc etc.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Tomorrows
VIP

Stick to your guns

« Reply #347 on: July 20, 2006, 09:04:55 AM »

so the only new song was The Blues, oh. And they did not play Paradise City, that's really bad. I'm glad that i didn't bother going to the gig, not that i had plans too hihi if i make one GnR UK gig this year, it'll be Wembly  beer

Wow, they got like 95% of a Guns concert and thats not worth bothering to go to?!?!
jonnybgoode82
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #348 on: July 20, 2006, 09:07:33 AM »

Regarding the lack of new songs:

Maybe, just maybe, Axl will pull some of the new stuff out when there is one less support band (i.e. over the weekend) and GNR techically have more time to go on. I'm presuming that BFMV can go on half an hour earlier thus giving GNR an extra half hour. And maybe Axl is been resourceful with his voice during these early UK shows and he knows full well that the majority of the crowd just want to hear the hits anyway so why not leave some of the new stuff out for a show where you can properly showcase it?

I would not read too much into the setlists for this tour until after the weekend, when Bach returns to the shows. I mean for example, it's likely they'll drop My Michelle if Seb isn't there, just wonder what they might consider replacing it with.

I just wish some people on this board would use rational thinking for a change and not jump on every little tidbit of info out there with the usual:

"OMG, (insert random member here) is leaving."

"One new song! WTF??!!! Chin Dem defo not coming out ever!"

"Axl gets hit??!!! This is the end of GN'R as we know it!"

BTW I have some photos from sheff that I may upload later.
jazjme
Can't get over the past? Let me be your guide!
Legend

...ABSURD!!

« Reply #349 on: July 20, 2006, 09:08:02 AM »

jimmytheagent"the music press just continue to crucify him and rightfully so. He brings it all on himself"

Tell me how do you say someone throwing something that could potentially be distructive, or harmfull to himself or any member of the band be bring it on himself!? please explain as for the situation at hand, I really would love to know, especially reading how some said the band was great? 

I was referring to the bad reviews in that thread, not people throwing things??

but to answer you (and I in no way condone violence), the crowd get frustrated when the band is 1.5 hrs late perhaps? just a stab  Roll Eyes

OK then maybe I miss understod , cheers Smiley

10.16.87 10.23.87 10.30.87 1.31.88 2.2.88 5.9.88 8.16.88 9.15.88
6.17.91 12.9.91 12.10.91,12.13.91
7.18.92 12.5.02 5.12.06 5.14.06 5.15.06 5.17.06 11.17.11 2.10.12 2.15.12
11.9.12 11.10.12 5.24.14
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #350 on: July 20, 2006, 09:15:11 AM »

i think in some respects axl need to grow up.....people won't tolerate bands going on 2 hours late

yeah @ 44 or whatever he's gonna "grow up"..face it folks we wanted Axl back...he's back, shut the fuck up and don't piss him off....he ain't fucking around....this is the face of GnR we got...love it or leave it rant this attitude is actually way more laid back then he used to be...in the 90's he woulda just left...at least you got Nighttrain.

Think of the encore as you would a tip at restaurant...if your waitress is shitty she gets no tip....if the crowd is shitty they get no encore, simple...as a whole the UK crowd sucks...it happened in donnington and it happened last night...

Yes, some of this whining needs to stop! You might get the impression this board is for people who fucking hate the band when you look at this section.? Roll Eyes

It's ridiculous. People act like nothing the band does is right. Whining about guitar players, Axl (as usual), setlists, show length, where they play, who's opening for the band, who's making guest appearances and how often, what they're wearing, what Axl didn't say in between songs etc etc.

well said Jarmo ok like fuck the band is back...enjoy it already...some people seem to dig to find something to bitch about....if anybody should grow up it's the ones who constantly poke and whine at little trivial bullshit

philspectorshotme
Rocker

i wasn't complaining!

« Reply #351 on: July 20, 2006, 09:33:54 AM »

wheres the next show? manchester?
wherever, im hoping for another "st. louis sucks" kinda thing. maybe tearing up a newcastle united top or something.

to be honest, while i do understand the negative reaction and anxiety axls actions (his timekeeping skills, his 'tantrums') i've come to the conclusion that those people are pretty much wrong. since 1993 rock n roll has retreated to "a job" rather than an experience. there have been so many rules inforced in rock n roll that it has stifled the heart and soul and fun out of the rebellion and freedom that it is meant to offer and represent. there are but a few mainstream (or even underground) acts who try and adhere to the principles of the rock n roll ethos (and even those, dylan and jack white spring to mind, keep well within the structure boundaries such as clearchannels timescales), and whats worse is that the public have accepted this - not only as the norm, but as the expected, so much so that they get pissed off if things are completely exact.
with axls return (and christ almight, thank fuck it is a true return as his glorious behaviour last night suggests) we finally have someone who is not afraid to embody the rock n roll and its freedom. axl will do what the fuck axl wants. and though it isnt as plain and simple as that, he is the closest thing we have to that spirit and to see it bubbling under and erupt is something that should be cause for celebration.
the enemy here is the neanderthal, the dangerous fucking asshole, who threw a fucking coin. not axl. applaud his timekeeping skills, applaud his indignation. applaud his loose and ramshackle and even deviant behaviour. for its rock n roll and it has been missing for far, far too long.
Baby Chaos
Headliner

Still searching for a solution

« Reply #352 on: July 20, 2006, 09:43:41 AM »

Here's my review from down the front last night. Us Brits aren't used to these temperatures like....

The hottest day since records began in England brought Guns N? Roses to the Newcastle Arena and an eventful night with trademark highs and lows.

Coming to the stage two hours later than billed and with a restless and baking hot throng of a crowd baying for them, the band tore through Jungle, Easy and Brownstone flawlessly. Everyone looks happy again, particularly Bumblefoot who was tearing all over the place and in jovial mood with Axl.

A pyro-filled Live and Let Die, KOHD and Sweet Child were lapped up and Axl was quick to observe the increase in the arena?s temperature when he mentioned, ?We?re cooking now!?.

Then we got the solo spots. The bone of consternation for most of us on this board and let?s be honest, in a two hour show we could do without a Robin, Ron, Dizzy and then Robin and Richard solo spot. Does Axl need to rest his voice? Does he want the rest of the show to be so memorable he lets everyone in the band tart about like Joe Satriani and Elton John for five minutes by themselves? Either way, tonight it?s welcome so the crowd can cool down for a few minutes.

The Blues is pitched note perfect to a sea of blank faces, I?m the only person I can hear singing along. As in Sheffield, this is also the only new song we get tonight, caused by the band?s late arrival.

Seb Bach comes out for My Michelle and builds on the energy he started with his own band?s support slot and then Izzy comes on for the last few songs Think About You, Patience, Nightrain and a run through a Stones song which also features some guy from the crowd on backing vocals! Izzy was looking good and sporting the flat black cap he used to wear back in the day.

Then the fun started. I was up against the barrier right in front of Axl when something, the size of a coin, was thrown at him. The band tore into Nightrain, but Axl was distracted by this. He carried on singing whilst looking down at the object then picked it up and started mumbling to himself. He ordered Frank to stop playing and the band walked off. From off stage Axl asked the crowd to chop anyone seen throwing objects to security and the band came on to play Nightrain in its entirety.

Then they were gone as Axl spat out the words ?That?s the end of the show?. Presumably we missed Paradise City due to this idiot, but with the band being late for the second consecutive night it appears the only staples of the setlist that went missing were new tunes I.R.S, Madagascar, Better and Chinese Democracy.

A fun night up in tha Toon. Far too hot, but hugely entertaining, if not slightly subdued. Has anyone else noticed the slower pace the band is playing at on this tour? Patience and KOHD were very sluggish and felt like they were coming to a stop on occasion.

Also a quick point about the stand in drummer Frank, is this the same guy who drummed for Paul McCartney on his world tour?

Be Aware of Legacy
DazRose85
Rocker

Devon, England, UK

« Reply #353 on: July 20, 2006, 09:45:51 AM »

I hope they stick the new songs back in... especially "Better". Fingers crossed the rest of the UK tour goes well. I'll be there on the last day, Wembley 30th.

"You've gotta choice in life... rock n' roll or classical" - Axl

11/06/06 - Download Festival, Donington
30/07/06 - Wembley Arena, London
AxlFink
VIP

thelesserkings.com

« Reply #354 on: July 20, 2006, 09:55:16 AM »

Richard isn't as good a player as Bucket but he's got a lot of charisma. Bumble isn't as good as Bucket and has zero charisma. He has to go. Axl needs somebody who can kill on guitar, and who has tons of charisma, and Bumble is not the man for the job. Just because Bumble will answer your e-mails doesn't make him the right guitar player for this band.
thank you i agree... people who didnt like bucket seem to love bumble and i dont know why.  i guess the email thing and being more like a regular guy appeals to them and the playing and stage show has nothing to do with it at all.  He seems cool and can play better than me.... but does that make it right for gnr?
PhillyRiot
I'm super, thanks for asking
Banned
VIP

Please Return to Philly

« Reply #355 on: July 20, 2006, 09:56:08 AM »

I agree too much whining. ?Especially if you were not at the show, you shouldn't care if they played new songs or not. ?Don't blame Axl for walking off the stage blame the idiot who had to act like a slob and a jerk by drinking too much, and throwing a coin like a punk. ?

I don't need the Internet to be a GNR fan.

www.myspace.com/earl31   Talk Radio Pranks
SteveUK
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #356 on: July 20, 2006, 10:04:27 AM »

Think of the encore as you would a tip at restaurant...if your waitress is shitty she gets no tip....if the crowd is shitty they get no encore, simple...as a whole the UK crowd sucks...it happened in donnington and it happened last night...

That is the biggest load of shit I've read here.

What happened last night?Huh 12,000+ idolised Axl, cheered the solos and had a great time! ONE person "allegedly" threw something at him! I had a great clear side view of the stage and only saw him pick something up off the floor. Until I see a bootleg or footage of it then this gets the? Roll Eyes treatment!
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #357 on: July 20, 2006, 10:05:05 AM »

One ridiculous baseless theory: maybe the UK tour is a farwell for the AFD setlist. hihi

kaasupoltin
Also a "mercenary" football fan!
Legend

Chinese Democracy out 2014!

« Reply #358 on: July 20, 2006, 10:08:42 AM »

One ridiculous baseless theory: maybe the UK tour is a farwell for the AFD setlist. hihi

Would be a nice change to drop every AFD-song from the setlist hihi

BEEP.
Helsinki 07.05.2006 - Helsinki 07.06.2006 - Helsinki 06.05.2010 - H?meenlinna 07.01.2017
daviebuckethead
VIP

it'd be a long time for anyone..........

« Reply #359 on: July 20, 2006, 10:10:35 AM »

i think in some respects axl need to grow up.....people won't tolerate bands going on 2 hours late

yeah @ 44 or whatever he's gonna "grow up"..face it folks we wanted Axl back...he's back, shut the fuck up and don't piss him off....he ain't fucking around....this is the face of GnR we got...love it or leave it rant this attitude is actually way more laid back then he used to be...in the 90's he woulda just left...at least you got Nighttrain.

Yes, some of this whining needs to stop! You might get the impression this board is for people who fucking hate the band when you look at this section. ?Roll Eyes

well said Jarmo ok like fuck the band is back...enjoy it already...some people seem to dig to find something to bitch about....if anybody should grow up it's the ones who constantly poke and whine at little trivial bullshit

I don't know about the other shows, but I was at Hammersmith. The booing has been completely overplayed; there wasn't that much, just for about 10 mins before they came on, and really it was in jest. Noone was seriously booing the band at least where I was, it was more kind of an ironic chant for them to get on stage- a way of showing enthusiasm. The crowd couldn't have been more into the show, and the band loved it too- we weren't an unkind audience at all! In Donnington most of the reviews by the crowd on general sites were very positive, and don't mention any trouble really- we attract the whingy whiny sorts here who search out fan sites after gigs to vent their teenage angst. Take no notice of them.
lee

im not trying to slag the band off or slate axl for what happened if you read my posts you will se im a firm supporter of this band. i just think that axl is childish at times, its fairly unprofessional thats he's late all the time. he is late btw, if doors are at six and he aint on till after, thats late hihi.

other bands i.e U2 and the stones, wouldn't do this. he is late btw, if doors are at six and he aint on till after, thats late hihi

it also seems to us on the outside like he is primaddonna----i.e the band make it on time, but he makes it whenever he feels like it. Huh so yes he is 44 and needs to grow up.

i was also at the hammersmith gig, and there were lots of boos, a hell of a lot, everytime the house music went down there was torrents of abuse going toward the stage and lots of chants for slash, saying that, when wttj started all was forgiven and forgotten Grin

bottom line for me is

its a great band, the new songs are great.
but axl needs to get it together, he's is on his last legs, so many chances, so many fuck ups.

there are many people who come here just to slate the new gnr, im not one of them, although i believe that saying axl should quit this late shit is whining, that doesn't mean it isn't true
« Last Edit: July 20, 2006, 10:14:15 AM by daviebuckethead » Logged

everytime i see them makes me wish i had a gun.....
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 22 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: