Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 11:57:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227808 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Stone Temple Pilots
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 29 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Stone Temple Pilots  (Read 164921 times)
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« on: July 26, 2006, 07:48:05 PM »

What does everyone think about STP?  I know there are a lot of mixed opinions on Scott Weiland around here.

I've been a big fan since I was 7 or 8.  They were probably one of my top 3 favourite bands growing up... but I kind of lost track of them around their 3rd album, but I still knew all of the singles they released.  I got back into them when Shangri-La came out and caught them in a free live performance (which was amazing).

Purple was always my favourite album, but I just recently started listening to Tiny Music A LOT... and I'm starting to think I might prefer it to Purple, maybe because it's more diverse.  I think Trippin' On A Hole In A Paper Heart is one of their best songs.

What is your favourite album?  Do you not "get" what the fuss was about over this band?
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2006, 07:56:18 PM »

I followed them right from Plush till Allin the suit that you wear....I love them my fav album is Tiny Music

saw them on that tour in detroit right after Weiland got out of Jail the first time....it was a fantastic show one iof the best I've ever been to ok

journey
Moondancer
Legend

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2006, 07:56:54 PM »

My favorite album is Core.

I always preferred STP over other grunge bands in the '90s. They seemed to have had a harder sound. And regardless of the bad press around Scott Weiland, he is a great frontman.
GnFnR87
Legend

GNR FOREVER!!!! AXL'S THE BEST!!!!!!!!!

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2006, 09:47:42 PM »

Love them.

My fave albums are Purple and No. 4, although all of them are solid worthwile efforts. i love how they changed their sound so much. badass.

can't wait for Army of Anyone... that damn thing is taking forever....

Shows:?? 5/17/06 @ Hammerstein, 11/10/06 @ MSG
It's so close..... i can feel it.....
metallex78
Legend

vicarious existance is a fucking waste of time

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2006, 10:30:41 PM »

I came late to the STP table, only really looked into them when Scott joined VR, and what was I missing all these years!

I bought their Greatest Hits album (which came with a kickass bonus DVD) first and then slowly made my way through all the albums starting from Core.
Great band, they got better with each album too. I love Shangri La Dee Da, great mix of heavy stuff and trippy mellow stuff.

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2007!!!
23 June Sydney @ Acer Arena
24 June Sydney @ Acer Arena

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2013!!!
17 March Melbourne @ Sidney Myer Music Bowl
The Dog
Legend

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2006, 12:38:54 AM »

Used to like them A LOT, had all their CDs, saw them in concert.  But lately I am so bored from their music.  I don't know, they seem rather dated to me.  Esp the earlier stuff.

"You're the worst character ever Towelie."
Ignatius
Legend

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2006, 01:37:02 PM »

I'm a fan...I was a huge fan of Weiland up until he joined VR. Ever since he teamed up with Slash and Duff he's made some comments I found absurd. To my perspective, he's been pretending to sound like dangerous rock and roll star for the past two years so...

On topic, STP are great. Favorite album is "4". Thats the most underrated album of theirs; "I got you", "Atlanta", "Glide" are amazing songs. They did great videos back in the day.."Sour Girl" is amazing, so it is "Interstate love song" , "vasoline", "days of the week"... I never caught them live unfortunately, hopefully the will get back together one day  Tongue

jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2006, 06:19:20 AM »

Core is one of the best albums of the 90's. 4 is also a classic.

babydolls
VIP

Locomotive

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2006, 07:46:03 AM »

Core is one of the best albums of the 90's. 4 is also a classic.

agreed.  I still listen to it a lot.  I love STP and think Scott was great with them.  A really great voice and I loved songs like Interestate Love song etc.  Still really like scott weiland and VR - I love the combination of scott with slash, duff and matt.

Saw them in 1995 - amazing gig with an acoustic section , although I got my teeth smacked in by a surfer and lost all sensation in them for a month - nice....
slashisvr
D.T.U.D.
VIP

A Rock N' Roll bash where everybody's smashed

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2006, 08:51:27 AM »

oh i love STP, the best grunge band i think, they were better than nirvana and that by a long shot

purple is my favorite album, it was the first STP album i got and i just love it, pretty penny being one of my favorite songs ok

deleo is awsome both of them ok ok

Hammersmith - london 7th june G N' F' R
NEC - Birmingham 25th july G N' F' R
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2006, 01:45:15 PM »

I came late to the STP table, only really looked into them when Scott joined VR, and what was I missing all these years!

I bought their Greatest Hits album (which came with a kickass bonus DVD) first and then slowly made my way through all the albums starting from Core.
Great band, they got better with each album too. I love Shangri La Dee Da, great mix of heavy stuff and trippy mellow stuff.

I am pretty much the same way..... The first time? I ever heard Sex Type Thing was at the VR concert I went to.

Love it so much I went out the next day and bought "Thank? You" the greatest hits.

Every song is amazing on the GH.

Lady Picture Show is one of my favs as well as Big Empty.

I got into Sour? Girl when it first came out and I thought Scott was the coolest guy ever.

He still is.

STP were the best grunge era band.. better than Nirvana and Pearl Jam in my opinion.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2006, 02:39:25 PM by D? » Logged

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Evolution
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2006, 01:55:59 PM »

VR got me into STP too. Bought "Thank You" after watching a May 2004 NYC bootleg.

I'd say Sex and Violence and Vasoline are probably my faves, Robert DeLeo wrote some pretty quirky basslines!
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2006, 02:41:45 PM »

Lady Picture Show is one of my favs as well as Big Me.

The Foo Fighters song?  hihi

Yeah, I prefer STP to both Nirvana and Pearl Jam.  I have never really listened to No. 4 all that much, but I've been meaning to buy it sometime soon.  I think Shangri-La is really underrated, that album got me back into STP.

Does anyone have Scott's 12 Bar Blues album?
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2006, 02:48:28 PM »

The Foo Fighters song?? hihi

Yeah, I prefer STP to both Nirvana and Pearl Jam.? I have never really listened to No. 4 all that much, but I've been meaning to buy it sometime soon.? I think Shangri-La is really underrated, that album got me back into STP.

yeah...some good stuff some really trippy stuff...I been meaning to drag it out again but haven't got around to it yet...I have talkshow too and have also managed to score a bunch of Weiland guest appearances from various sources..

check out Masters of Reality-Jindalee Jindalie, or Big Blue Missile or Sly Fox ok

pasnow
VIP

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2006, 04:25:24 PM »

Well, I'd just like to say I'm one of those who never "got" this band. I'm not trying to bash them, I just think they're a second tier band from the 90's. I'm sure their GH is great, but to me, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, AIC, Nirrvana, NIN etc stole the show in the early 90's. Completely flipped the music industry upside down (which needs to be done again very soon with all the crapola out there). Then record execs ran out to find the next big alternative thing... Came up with bands like STP, Green Day, Offspring, which to me were the second tier bands..?

I've warmed up to them, would probably like some of songs off their GH, and am looking forward to Army of Anyone, if they ever come out. I'm ok with Weiland in VR, and I think alot depends on him on how good VR's new album is (lyrics & vocals).

Anyway, this is just my opinion, which was asked in the original post. So just don't bash me as a hater or anything. Just wanted to provide insight as to why I and possibly others myb do not like the band all that much.
J?
Kid In The Hall
Banned
VIP

Here Since January 11th 2002

« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2006, 04:33:28 PM »

A cheap rip off Pearl Jam

Fuck All Y'all
oldleadbelly
Headliner

I'm a llama!

« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2006, 07:42:59 PM »

Shows how much you know.  STP formed at least 3 years before PJ.  Quit being ignorant.
makane
Legend

« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2006, 11:05:19 AM »

One of the greatest bands. It's sad that people seem to think they're a "PJ ripoff" or something else ignorant shit like "Scott is gay". STP is a band which (imo) needs variouse plays on your stereo before you get what they're really all about.
Best album? Tiny Music... Songs from the Vatican Giftshop.
I never got to see them live, but maybe someday... though I really don't want VR to break up either? Undecided, so im waiting for Army Of Anyone...

Army Of Anyone - Goodbye : http://myspace.com/armyofanyone
« Last Edit: July 29, 2006, 05:32:13 PM by makane » Logged

YagetoutonyourownAndyoutakeallthatyouownAndyouforgetaboutyourhomeAndthenyou'rejustfuckin'gone!
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2006, 02:39:51 PM »

The Foo Fighters song?? hihi

Yeah, I prefer STP to both Nirvana and Pearl Jam.? I have never really listened to No. 4 all that much, but I've been meaning to buy it sometime soon.? I think Shangri-La is really underrated, that album got me back into STP.

I meant Big Empty.... I had a mind freeze hihi crying crying nervous confused

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
metallex78
Legend

vicarious existance is a fucking waste of time

« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2006, 09:26:00 PM »

I don't really hear any similarities to Pear Jam at all, except for maybe a couple of songs on Core, but even then the only comparison I hear is deep vocals a little bit like Eddie Vedder's.

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2007!!!
23 June Sydney @ Acer Arena
24 June Sydney @ Acer Arena

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2013!!!
17 March Melbourne @ Sidney Myer Music Bowl
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 29 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: