Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 12:44:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227824 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Wake up, it's time to play!
| |-+  Nice Boys Don't Play Rock And Roll
| | |-+  Bass Chords
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bass Chords  (Read 2207 times)
Verse Chorus Verse
Legend

It's here!

« on: August 17, 2006, 12:57:37 AM »

Is there a free online site with basic bass chords? I want to learn a few so I can muck about on the bass.

Louis Landon for Peace in Iraq
"This is the new Guns 'n Roses, deal with it or get off the planet."
W 23 AXL II
VIP

I like A minor more so than C major

« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2006, 09:14:41 AM »

u dont really play CHORDS too much on bass. just learn some theory. if you are playing an A )5th fret, 6th string), just find where its relative 3rd, 5th, and 7th are. in this example, a major third will be a C#, or the 4th fret on the 5th string. D is the 4th, Eb is the flatted fifth, and E, seventh fret 5th string, is the 5th.

keeping with A, the F is the minor 6th, F# is the major 6th, G is the minor 7th, G# being the major seventh. if you know all of this, you can play some nice "chords" or arrpeggios, but again, i dont see too many chords being played on bass. mostly single note movements.
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2006, 09:37:19 AM »

i think a chord on the bass is considered to be the power chord configuration

basically what you described W 23 AXL II

like this position

---------
1 X X X
---------
X X X X
---------
X X 3 X
---------

or

---------
X 1 X X
---------
X X X X
---------
X X X 3
---------

at any place on the neck but those 2 notes and that finger pattern generally belong together on 4 a string bass

W 23 AXL II
VIP

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2006, 09:44:47 AM »

power chords, also called No-Third chords, although that old-school. also called 5ths.

A power chord

6th string     5th fret (A...the I )

5th string     7th fret (E...the V )

4th string     7th fret (A...the I, but an octave (12 half steps) up)

---- you dont have to play the octave I, and especially on bass.....but still, i wouldnt ever play chords on bass, even if its just the I and the V.....i would single pick each note, creating a "riff" or movement. bass chords, IMHO, are messy.
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2006, 09:50:39 AM »

power chords, also called No-Third chords, although that old-school. also called 5ths.

A power chord

6th string? ? ?5th fret (A...the I )

5th string? ? ?7th fret (E...the V )

4th string? ? ?7th fret (A...the I, but an octave (12 half steps) up)

---- you dont have to play the octave I, and especially on bass.....but still, i wouldnt ever play chords on bass, even if its just the I and the V.....i would single pick each note, creating a "riff" or movement. bass chords, IMHO, are messy.

they make it sound more "full" IMO instead of constantly picking the exact same note...if you throw in the other note now and then it makes it sound less boring...depends what you want out of your bass player I guess though...to me it's no biggie to leave my ring finger down 2 strings and over 2 frets to throw in the occasional higher note

psst W23....generally people don't play 6 string basses hihi think like a bassist and not a guitarist Tongue (I'm teasing you btw)

W 23 AXL II
VIP

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2006, 10:01:34 AM »

oh yeah, duhhhh....

u know what i meant, although i still call bass strings 6, 5,4, and 3. to me, they dont have a 2 and 1 string. lol

which, might be the better way of looking at it, right? IDK

yeah, i agree, playing different notes inside of a band playing a chord is a good thing. like, if a band was playing a C chord, i would be playing on my bass....(although i have a bass, im a guitarist) i would be playing:

low C and its octaves. also, E (major third), G (fifth). I might use the 4th (F) just as a passing tone. but other then that, those are the only extra notes ill play while playing bass, unless the song is based on a bass riff.

BTW, if it was a C minor, the only thing that changes is the THIRD. no more E, flatten it a half step, so its now Eb (or D# enharmonic equivalents)
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2006, 10:06:30 AM »

oh yeah, duhhhh....

u know what i meant, although i still call bass strings 6, 5,4, and 3. to me, they dont have a 2 and 1 string. lol

which, might be the better way of looking at it, right? IDK

I'm a guitarist too so i totally hear you rofl

but yeah your explanation is right for the 5-string...i think i don't have my guitar in front of me and it's to early to count notes in my head confused hihi

Verse Chorus Verse
Legend

It's here!

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2006, 03:52:46 PM »

u dont really play CHORDS too much on bass. just learn some theory. if you are playing an A )5th fret, 6th string), just find where its relative 3rd, 5th, and 7th are. in this example, a major third will be a C#, or the 4th fret on the 5th string. D is the 4th, Eb is the flatted fifth, and E, seventh fret 5th string, is the 5th.

keeping with A, the F is the minor 6th, F# is the major 6th, G is the minor 7th, G# being the major seventh. if you know all of this, you can play some nice "chords" or arrpeggios, but again, i dont see too many chords being played on bass. mostly single note movements.
Yeah, I'm just trying to stick out from the crowd, because I want to try a different approach to the bass guitar.

Louis Landon for Peace in Iraq
"This is the new Guns 'n Roses, deal with it or get off the planet."
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: