Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 29, 2024, 07:51:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227963 Posts in 43255 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  PlayStation 3
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: PlayStation 3  (Read 51310 times)
Borat
VIP

Jagshemash!

« Reply #40 on: September 06, 2006, 02:23:51 PM »

Definitely not getting one now. I had one on pre-order but I'm definitely gonna say a big FUCK YOU to Sony now. They have to stop treating Europeans as second-class citizens.

Its an absolute joke releasing it that much later after US and Japan and, I assume, STILL charging more than they are for Americans and the Japanese.

I am very pissed off, but will remain patient. If it's a parts issue then there is simply nothing they can do about it until they have enough parts. At the end of the day they can't not launch in America or Japan so we are always going to have to wait in these situations, we have done so before and will do again, I do agree with the price issue though.
The good thing about all this is that we should get more, fine tuned launch titles and more consoles on launch day, only the very lucky would have gotten one before christmas anyway.

This is evry good news for Microsoft though because alot of people who didn't get a 360 because they were waiting for the PS3 will now probably change their minds.

My wife she is dead?she die in the field?she die from work, an accident, but is not important, I have a new wife.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #41 on: September 06, 2006, 02:26:28 PM »

Definitely not getting one now. I had one on pre-order but I'm definitely gonna say a big FUCK YOU to Sony now. They have to stop treating Europeans as second-class citizens.

Its an absolute joke releasing it that much later after US and Japan and, I assume, STILL charging more than they are for Americans and the Japanese.

I am very pissed off, but will remain patient. If it's a parts issue then there is simply nothing they can do about it until they have enough parts. At the end of the day they can't not launch in America or Japan so we are always going to have to wait in these situations, we have done so before and will do again, I do agree with the price issue though.
The good thing about all this is that we should get more, fine tuned launch titles and more consoles on launch day, only the very lucky would have gotten one before christmas anyway.

This is evry good news for Microsoft though because alot of people who didn't get a 360 because they were waiting for the PS3 will now probably change their minds.

It's even better news for Nintendo...who WILL have, by all accounts, a new console to release in the US, Japan, and Europe.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
R4tfink
Naked Waldorf in front of the computer
Legend

Fuckoffsville.

« Reply #42 on: September 06, 2006, 03:50:22 PM »

Leaning towards it mate.

They are coming down in price and the base console package is now under 200 bucks from most outlets...you could probably cut it down a bit more if you shop around.

I have a 10mb bb connection at home which is getting used for downloading and browsing, i wanna enter the world of online gaming console stylee and the Xbox online play is second to none from what ive heard.

Plus all these bleeding games they keep advertising look mouthwatering, this is despite me seeing PS3 screen shots and trailers.

Is the release date in March confirmed? Or tentative? The PS3 release is a bit like that of Chinese Democracy. Only not quite as long but equally as annoying.

Miraculously my PS2 still works after Cactus took it apart to clean the lense, however, it could only be a matter of time. My only issue would be my class PS2 games. However, id probably get a PS3 next year when the prices drop anyway so that wouldnt be a problem, otherwise id sell em all.

Id also be interested to see whether they plan any Gran Turismo releases on PS3, as that could quite possibly sway it back in favour.

Oh and Cricket games of course!

Borat
VIP

Jagshemash!

« Reply #43 on: September 06, 2006, 07:52:10 PM »

Leaning towards it mate.

They are coming down in price and the base console package is now under 200 bucks from most outlets...you could probably cut it down a bit more if you shop around.

I have a 10mb bb connection at home which is getting used for downloading and browsing, i wanna enter the world of online gaming console stylee and the Xbox online play is second to none from what ive heard.

Plus all these bleeding games they keep advertising look mouthwatering, this is despite me seeing PS3 screen shots and trailers.

Is the release date in March confirmed? Or tentative? The PS3 release is a bit like that of Chinese Democracy. Only not quite as long but equally as annoying.

Miraculously my PS2 still works after Cactus took it apart to clean the lense, however, it could only be a matter of time. My only issue would be my class PS2 games. However, id probably get a PS3 next year when the prices drop anyway so that wouldnt be a problem, otherwise id sell em all.

Id also be interested to see whether they plan any Gran Turismo releases on PS3, as that could quite possibly sway it back in favour.

Oh and Cricket games of course!

First of all the XBox base unit isnt really worth it as it has no hard drive, no wireless controllers, no headset and no xbox live, this is the unit which has dropped in price, the full system is still ?279.99 with one month's free xbox live subscription, a further 12 months subscription to Xbox live (gold) is available for a further ?39.99(PS3's online system will be pretty much the same as Microsofts but free), that's ?320 already before you start to think of the HD DVD add on that is coming out soon. The 60gb (as opposed to the 360's 20gb) PS3 is already equipped with a next gen disc reader so apart from games, blu rays and peripherals you get EVERYTHING for your ?425. The full Xbox 360 experience will probably actually cost you more.

XBox 360 has 2 certain exclusives which are worth it, Gears of War and Halo 3.
Ps3 will have Gran Turismo, Resistance FOM, Devil May Cry4,  Heavenly Sword, Metal Gear Solid 4, Killzone, Motorstorm, Tekken, Warhawk, Unreal Tournament and possibly Resident Evil 5 to name but a few.

Oh and the PS3 price certainly won't be dropping next year (but it's still worth it)  Wink

My wife she is dead?she die in the field?she die from work, an accident, but is not important, I have a new wife.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #44 on: September 07, 2006, 08:30:21 AM »

Ps3 will have Gran Turismo, Resistance FOM, Devil May Cry4,? Heavenly Sword, Metal Gear Solid 4, Killzone, Motorstorm, Tekken, Warhawk, Unreal Tournament and possibly Resident Evil 5 to name but a few.

Oblivion, as well as any further Elder Scrolls titles, is 360 exclusive and it's well worth it.  As is Blue Dragon.  As is  Dead Rising.  As is Fable 2.  As is the Marvel MMORPG.  As are the Call of Duty games.

There are certainly, IMHO, a pretty even number of exclusive games that are "worth it" on both systems.

On the pricing issue: $399 gets you the "deluxe" 360 system, which includes the wireless controller, headset, and 1 month of xbox live.  If you add the $40 for the yearly sub of 360 Live, you're at $439.  Since the HD-DVD only will play movies, I'm hesitant to even throw in the price, but current estimates are between $100 and $150.  Personally, I won't buy it.....I have a stand alone player, so appreciate Microsoft not forcing me to pay for it up front, but....whatever.  So, with the HD-DVD thrown in, you're at between $539 and $589.  So the "full 360 experience" won't cost you more.  It'll actually cost you less, albeit a pittance less IF you feel the need to buy the HD-DVD add on.

Oh, and add to that fact that there is a strong rumor that we'll see a minimum $50 price drop on the 360 platinum system right when the Sony system is set to drop in the US....AND The fact that Microsoft is set to have a TON of retail stock at the same time here in the US (or the fact you can actually buy a 360 in Europe over the next 6 to 7 months)...and I'd say that things on the Xbox side of the world are looking downright rosey.

And if I'm Nintendo, Sony's announcement just sent me into fits of giggling happiness.

Together again,
Borat
VIP

Jagshemash!

« Reply #45 on: September 07, 2006, 10:53:14 AM »

Ps3 will have Gran Turismo, Resistance FOM, Devil May Cry4,? Heavenly Sword, Metal Gear Solid 4, Killzone, Motorstorm, Tekken, Warhawk, Unreal Tournament and possibly Resident Evil 5 to name but a few.

Oblivion, as well as any further Elder Scrolls titles, is 360 exclusive and it's well worth it.? As is Blue Dragon.? As is? Dead Rising.? As is Fable 2.? As is the Marvel MMORPG.? As are the Call of Duty games.

There are certainly, IMHO, a pretty even number of exclusive games that are "worth it" on both systems.

On the pricing issue: $399 gets you the "deluxe" 360 system, which includes the wireless controller, headset, and 1 month of xbox live.? If you add the $40 for the yearly sub of 360 Live, you're at $439.? Since the HD-DVD only will play movies, I'm hesitant to even throw in the price, but current estimates are between $100 and $150.? Personally, I won't buy it.....I have a stand alone player, so appreciate Microsoft not forcing me to pay for it up front, but....whatever.? So, with the HD-DVD thrown in, you're at between $539 and $589.? So the "full 360 experience" won't cost you more.? It'll actually cost you less, albeit a pittance less IF you feel the need to buy the HD-DVD add on.

Oh, and add to that fact that there is a strong rumor that we'll see a minimum $50 price drop on the 360 platinum system right when the Sony system is set to drop in the US....AND The fact that Microsoft is set to have a TON of retail stock at the same time here in the US (or the fact you can actually buy a 360 in Europe over the next 6 to 7 months)...and I'd say that things on the Xbox side of the world are looking downright rosey.

And if I'm Nintendo, Sony's announcement just sent me into fits of giggling happiness.

I'm talking english prices here and it does add up to more.

Call of Duty certainly isn't XBox  360 exclusive.

And yes, I will be getting a Wii to tide me over.

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #46 on: September 07, 2006, 11:38:44 AM »

I'm talking english prices here and it does add up to more.

Unless the HD-DVD  add on price rings in over 105 pounds, no..it's not.  English prices or not, math is math.  And if you do the conversion of dollars to pounds....you'll see the HD-DVD will probably ring in between 60 and 90 pounds on release.  So, again, IF you feel the need to add HD-DVD movie watching capabilities, and use current prices, you still come out about 15 pounds ahead with the xbox 360.

Together again,
Borat
VIP

Jagshemash!

« Reply #47 on: September 07, 2006, 07:22:03 PM »

So there is little difference in price, point proven.

-Jack-
Kickin' it old school
Legend

DT imba

« Reply #48 on: September 08, 2006, 12:44:23 AM »

I don't understand this logic...

Its like saying that a Toyola Carolla costs the same amount as a Lexus when you upgrade everything. Is it true? Maybe. But who cares?

Not everybody is going to get HD-DVD with their 360... not everyone with a 360 cares about HD...

Sure, some people are gonna buy a Lexus and get bang for their buck, but just because a Lexus has a bunch of cool features doesn't stop people from buying Carollas. Anyone get me?

If you really want a Blu-Ray player, and you like the Playstation brand, then go for the PS3. It's got alot for your money. If your just a normal gamer though.. who doesn't care about next gen dvd's.. then fuck the PS3 at this point. It has what? MGS4? FFXIII? And thats it?

I wouldn't say the PS3 is worth your money unless your a serious tech junkie. Otherwise... wait for a price drop (or just wait.. as you europeans now have to hihi).. or get another console.

gnrevolution.com
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #49 on: September 08, 2006, 07:50:58 AM »

No, point NOT proven.  IF that was what you had said, originally, you would have been correct. But you didn't.

You said:

The full Xbox 360 experience will probably actually cost you more.

That's just not true.

So, actually, MY point has been proven.  That they'll cost close to the same amount, but that 360 will actually be a bit cheaper.

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #50 on: September 08, 2006, 07:57:27 AM »

I don't understand this logic...

Its like saying that a Toyola Carolla costs the same amount as a Lexus when you upgrade everything. Is it true? Maybe. But who cares?

Not everybody is going to get HD-DVD with their 360... not everyone with a 360 cares about HD...

Sure, some people are gonna buy a Lexus and get bang for their buck, but just because a Lexus has a bunch of cool features doesn't stop people from buying Carollas. Anyone get me?

If you really want a Blu-Ray player, and you like the Playstation brand, then go for the PS3. It's got alot for your money. If your just a normal gamer though.. who doesn't care about next gen dvd's.. then fuck the PS3 at this point. It has what? MGS4? FFXIII? And thats it?

I wouldn't say the PS3 is worth your money unless your a serious tech junkie. Otherwise... wait for a price drop (or just wait.. as you europeans now have to hihi).. or get another console.

Bingo!? And that was my point, too.

I don't need my game machine to be my movie player.? I get dedicated equipment for that because, traditionally, it does the job better.? If you're a REAL home theater nut....you'll find that most dedicated players, at least in the past, blow away the "add on" capabilities of a game player.? And if you're NOT a home theater nut....well, how many of them really care about Blu-Ray or HD-DVD playback RIGHT NOW?? And given the obvious answer...why build the tech in RIGHT NOW and force the consumer to absorb the cost?? I mean...I know the answer is that Sony wants to shove Blu-Ray down consumers throats to win the format war but...other than that?

That's why I think Microsoft took the right path on this:? Offering the HD-DVD drive as an OPTION, rather than building it in and driving up the price.? I certainly won't buy it.? And if Sony offered the same option with the PS3, that is a "platinum" edition without Blu-Ray, I'd buy that too, rather than paying the extra $200.

Together again,
Borat
VIP

Jagshemash!

« Reply #51 on: September 11, 2006, 03:20:27 PM »

It's not just about next gen movies, its about the amount of stuff they can get on a disc and the quality of that stuff. A Blu Ray disc can fit far more information than a regular DVD.

Also going back to the price thing, you have to figure in that you will be paying the charge for x-box live gold EVERY year, that will soon lead to the overall cost being more than a PS3.

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #52 on: September 12, 2006, 08:42:58 AM »

It's not just about next gen movies, its about the amount of stuff they can get on a disc and the quality of that stuff. A Blu Ray disc can fit far more information than a regular DVD.

Also going back to the price thing, you have to figure in that you will be paying the charge for x-box live gold EVERY year, that will soon lead to the overall cost being more than a PS3.

Yes, a blue-ray disc can fit more info than a regular DVD.? That being said, your average Xbox 360 title weighs in somewhere around 4.2 gigs...the largest game is Table Tennis at about 7 Gig (which leaves 2 gigs free, before better compression algos need to be implemented).? And that's with high def graphics and content.

Now, we don't know how big Sony PS3 games will be...but I somehow doubt they'll be near the 40 to 50 GB mark.? Given that most PS2 games run about 3 to 4 gb, right now...and given the xbox 360 games saw an approximate 11% increase in average size over Xbox titles....you're probably looking for, at launch, about the same size as the 360 titles currently coming out...and fiiting just fine on single DVD-9 discs.

So that leaves the "future growth" argument.? Fair enough.? I'm pretty confident that a 50% - 100% "cushion" in size for the average game is enough for the next 5 years....ignoring the better compression algos that get developed over the life of the console.? I'm certainly confident enough to save myself $200+.

Not to mention....Blu-Ray discs are much more expensive to manufacture.? Especially the Dual Layer "full capacity" variety.? Which is either going to be bad for consumers (because we'll pay for it on games that use it) or bad for developers (who will have to eat the increased cost thus having less resources to put into the game, itself).? Add to all that the fact that Blu-Ray is only an advantage on "exclusive" games (because, lets face it, the cross-platform games are going to have to adhere to the smaller of the size requirements) and we come all the way back to the begining of this argument:

Largely, Blu-Ray's going to provide you a way to watch movies.? Something I don't want or need my console to do and certainly not something I'm willing to pay a premium for.

As for the pricing....you just keep chaning the parameters to try to be "right".? You weren't.? Admit it and move on.? You'll have to pay for content on the PS3 that I'll get free with my Live Gold membership.? Should we factor in those ongoing costs, too?

Edit: Oh, and add another $10 -? $30 to the PS3 price.?

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/09/03/high-end-ps3-shipping-without-hdmi-cable/
« Last Edit: September 12, 2006, 10:05:01 AM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
Borat
VIP

Jagshemash!

« Reply #53 on: September 12, 2006, 06:57:08 PM »

Yes, a blue-ray disc can fit more info than a regular DVD.? That being said, your average Xbox 360 title weighs in somewhere around 4.2 gigs...the largest game is Table Tennis at about 7 Gig (which leaves 2 gigs free, before better compression algos need to be implemented).? And that's with high def graphics and content.

Now, we don't know how big Sony PS3 games will be...but I somehow doubt they'll be near the 40 to 50 GB mark.? Given that most PS2 games run about 3 to 4 gb, right now...and given the xbox 360 games saw an approximate 11% increase in average size over Xbox titles....you're probably looking for, at launch, about the same size as the 360 titles currently coming out...and fiiting just fine on single DVD-9 discs.

So that leaves the "future growth" argument.? Fair enough.? I'm pretty confident that a 50% - 100% "cushion" in size for the average game is enough for the next 5 years....ignoring the better compression algos that get developed over the life of the console.? I'm certainly confident enough to save myself $200+.

Not to mention....Blu-Ray discs are much more expensive to manufacture.? Especially the Dual Layer "full capacity" variety.? Which is either going to be bad for consumers (because we'll pay for it on games that use it) or bad for developers (who will have to eat the increased cost thus having less resources to put into the game, itself).? Add to all that the fact that Blu-Ray is only an advantage on "exclusive" games (because, lets face it, the cross-platform games are going to have to adhere to the smaller of the size requirements) and we come all the way back to the begining of this argument:

Largely, Blu-Ray's going to provide you a way to watch movies.? Something I don't want or need my console to do and certainly not something I'm willing to pay a premium for.

As for the pricing....you just keep chaning the parameters to try to be "right".? You weren't.? Admit it and move on.? You'll have to pay for content on the PS3 that I'll get free with my Live Gold membership.? Should we factor in those ongoing costs, too?

Edit: Oh, and add another $10 -? $30 to the PS3 price.?

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/09/03/high-end-ps3-shipping-without-hdmi-cable/

PlayStation 3 Launch game Resistance: Fall of Man weighs in at about 22 GB

I'm not trying to make an argument over price for the sake of it, I'm trying to clarify how much you would have to pay for each system in comparison. To make a fair comparison between each system its important to state how much you will have to pay for each systems services. The full online experience for Xbox is a recurring yearly cost of $40 and the equivalent on Ps3 will be free. Extra content will be available at a charcge on both systems.

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #54 on: September 13, 2006, 08:50:44 AM »

PlayStation 3 Launch game Resistance: Fall of Man weighs in at about 22 GB

I'm not trying to make an argument over price for the sake of it, I'm trying to clarify how much you would have to pay for each system in comparison. To make a fair comparison between each system its important to state how much you will have to pay for each systems services. The full online experience for Xbox is a recurring yearly cost of $40 and the equivalent on Ps3 will be free. Extra content will be available at a charcge on both systems.

On Resistance..I'd read that.? It's uncompressed data, something no game, except this one if they decide to ship it this way, ships with...largely because there's no good reason to do it.? It sounds like using space simply for the sake of using space, to me.? Especially considering it seems like the only game to do so.? FYI, Oblivion uncompressed?? Something like 30+ GB.? During development it was said the game might take up as many as 4 DVD-9's.? In the end...it took just about 1/2 a DVD-9, compressed.? Anyone can "bloat" their game to fill space....the question is: is there any real good reason to do so.? I'm MUCH more impressed with someone who can fit a game like Oblivion on 1/2 of a DVD-9 than I am with someone who can throw a game like Resistance into a 20 GB "hole". Especially when you can't really make good use of anything bigger than 512 MB's of textures, at any one time, anyway (less, really, as you need overhead for other things, too).

A LOT of extra content (demos, some add ons, and such) is included with the 360 Gold membership.? It won't be with the PS3 "freebie" basic membership.?In other words, PS3's "free" service isn't exactly equivalent to the 360's Gold membership.  So, again, should we add the costs in??

By your calculations, too, that HDMI cable is going to add another year to my X-box live membership.? I'm sure the content you have to pay for vs what I get free will add another year or two, at least.? That sort of comparison, using the ongoing costs of Live, is pointless.? It was also not your original point.

The long and short of it is, out of the box, the 360 is cheaper. And if you have no interest in the HD-DVD add on (which Microsoft has already said is for movies, only), MUCH cheaper. And that's right now.? It doesn't take into account any strategic price moves or changes Microsoft makes to combat Sony (and you can bet there will be some).? Again, just admit you were mistaken and move on, eh?
« Last Edit: September 13, 2006, 01:31:03 PM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #55 on: September 14, 2006, 11:50:41 AM »

The Wii is coming!!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14833055/

Together again,
-Jack-
Kickin' it old school
Legend

DT imba

« Reply #56 on: September 14, 2006, 06:57:30 PM »

Wo0o0o0o

gnrevolution.com
HamsterDemocracy
« Reply #57 on: September 22, 2006, 10:21:52 PM »

PS3 was a major backfire - due to Blu-Ray (which is already failing miserably because Sony was stupid enough to delay the release of the players and thereby flood the market with Blu-Ray discs that no one has a reason to buy) the prices have been so extreme that Sony has sacrificied the quality of the hard ware JUST for the Blu-Ray!

They are now selling the base console with roughly the same-power graphics processor as Xbox360 for about $650 and you have to pay more for the "better" console. Initial costs for PS3 exceeded $1,000 per console so Sony decided to cut back on the features of the device, which is sad.

XBox supports HD-DVD which almost all analysts have pegged as the new leader in digital video (no one thinks Blu-Ray is going to beat HD-DVD - HD-DVD will survive on name alone) and Xbox360 is much cheaper and you're basically getting the same thing.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #58 on: October 10, 2006, 10:12:15 AM »

Oblivion, as well as any further Elder Scrolls titles, is 360 exclusive and it's well worth it.?

Or...maybe not.  Well, they are, still, from what I've heard, but the exclusivity is limited in time (much like GTA was before this upcoming release).

Looks like Oblivion is going to be a launch, or shortly after launch, title for the PS3.

Together again,
-Jack-
Kickin' it old school
Legend

DT imba

« Reply #59 on: October 10, 2006, 07:35:10 PM »

Oblivion, as well as any further Elder Scrolls titles, is 360 exclusive and it's well worth it. 

Or...maybe not.  Well, they are, still, from what I've heard, but the exclusivity is limited in time (much like GTA was before this upcoming release).

Looks like Oblivion is going to be a launch, or shortly after launch, title for the PS3.

Yeah.. I've seen the PS3 screen shots.

Not much better than the 360s either...

gnrevolution.com
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: