Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 06:52:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228061 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  2002 VMA performance was a debacle?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2002 VMA performance was a debacle?  (Read 24600 times)
jaypayton
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #40 on: September 02, 2006, 10:33:23 AM »

i have come to the conclusion that anyone who sticks up for 2002 Axl and his shot singing voice of 02 know NOTHING about the appetite and illusion days...they are probably 14 year olds who listen to korn.......
axlsfury
Opening Act

Gonna bring you to your sha na na na na na knees

« Reply #41 on: September 02, 2006, 11:19:07 AM »

The band were fine, they played the songs well enough. It was great to see those guys rocking out at a big television event after years in the shadows. Axl however was terrible. Nerves or whatever, they were the worst vocals I've ever heard from him. It wouldn't matter, but when your making your 'grand return' in front of the entire biz after years and years of rumors , to sound so bad was a disaster. But it all went wrong before the show started when they decided to do a medley. Terrible. A song or two songs. Bits of three songs was just a bad idea. After seeing how good they were this summer and how good Axl looked and sounded, the 2002 MTV debacle is even more regrettable.

Worst vocals ever.....Ha.  Try listening to Tokyo DVDs or some on Live Era.  For a live performance this was good.
axlsfury
Opening Act

Gonna bring you to your sha na na na na na knees

« Reply #42 on: September 02, 2006, 11:20:43 AM »

i have come to the conclusion that anyone who sticks up for 2002 Axl and his shot singing voice of 02 know NOTHING about the appetite and illusion days...they are probably 14 year olds who listen to korn.......

How about 28 and been a fan since I was 12.  I was just happy to see and hear the guy.  People need to stop being so critical.
CD2006
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #43 on: September 02, 2006, 11:29:28 AM »

he didn't say that at all, he said jokingly that it was a "catastrophy", then added that once they got going things were great and the crowd was great. get your shit straight and stop twisting his words.

i actually feel sorry for you, you couldn't be more wrong.
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #44 on: September 02, 2006, 12:02:43 PM »

Besides, what's wrong with winning young fans and new fans? ok 
Guess what? Fans that know NOTHING about the appetite and illusion days are unbiased.

And maybe with jokingly saying  "catastrophy" he wasn't really referring to the performance? but the whole process of it. such as the earpiece issue, rush arrangements, etc..

Like others said, The performance itself wasn't bad except for the vocal on some parts of jungle.

Regardless of how he felt or how he sounded I think the crowd reaction was ten times better then this one where he was introduced as himself instead of gnr..

Yeah, a presenter is supposed to meet with the crowd response as great as performers get. yes
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #45 on: September 02, 2006, 12:15:14 PM »

Axl and the band look and sound 100 times "Better" now.  This is just old news. 
"Sometimes I feel like I'm beatin' a dead horse..."   

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
GnFnR87
Legend

GNR FOREVER!!!! AXL'S THE BEST!!!!!!!!!

« Reply #46 on: September 02, 2006, 12:20:54 PM »

because axl couldnt hear himself due to technical difficulties and didnt sound too good

yeah you could see during Madagscar he even looked back to the side of the stage and made a "lowering" gesture with his arm since he probably was having problems hearing himself over the band.

even all throughout the performance he was fooling around with his ear mic and the controls at his side.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2006, 12:22:28 PM by GnFnR87 » Logged

Shows:?? 5/17/06 @ Hammerstein, 11/10/06 @ MSG
It's so close..... i can feel it.....
31illusions
I am the coolest guy I know
Rocker

Axl, slash, duff, izzy & steven. The true GN'R!

« Reply #47 on: September 02, 2006, 03:30:53 PM »

Posted on: Today at 10:33:23 AMPosted by: jaypayton?

I agree with this, axl's voice was an embarassment back in '02.  Although I can look over his high voice because I am a die hard fan.( I'll never give up on GN"R.) But can any NEW fans of? the "New GN'R" say they like his falsetto voice?

I think it is totally freaky to hear axl sing in falsetto and speak in his normal voice in the same song. I hate it. But when i listen to the 2006 songs i see that axl has regained his singing voice. He still struggles with it. but it's WAYYYY better.

There you go, negative karma for you for being a troll. I'll give gandra negative karma as well. Happy now?  Next time you try this behavior will be the last. keep that in mind.

/jarmo
CAFC Nick
VIP

I don't know just what I should do...

« Reply #48 on: September 02, 2006, 07:26:46 PM »

I agree with this, axl's voice was an embarassment back in '02.? Although I can look over his high voice because I am a die hard fan.( I'll never give up on GN"R.) But can any NEW fans of? the "New GN'R" say they like his falsetto voice?

I think it is totally freaky to hear axl sing in falsetto and speak in his normal voice in the same song. I hate it. But when i listen to the 2006 songs i see that axl has regained his singing voice. He still struggles with it. but it's WAYYYY better.

I became a fan back in 2004, and I heard his high voice and I thought it was alright. I had seen performances and realised that it had deteriorated from the late 80s/early 90s but I thought that it was just age taking its toll and thats what was expected. But now I hear his voice in 2006 and its so much better than it was. It's amazing really, I was listening to Paradise city from Boston '02 and then listened to PC from 2006 and its amazing how much more raspy and passionate its got.
themovieaddict.com
« Reply #49 on: September 02, 2006, 07:33:53 PM »

Everyone was pumped up to see the rock god return, and instead we got some overweight botox'd guy in a huge sports jersey and adorned in bling-bling singing with a Mickey Mouse-being-raped-by-an-elephant voice accompanied by a band of goth-looking misfits with no real chemistry.

Of course, that's all changed now (thank god), but that was mainly why it was slammed across the board. It was still a major success for MTV, though. And Madagascar wasn't too bad.

And at least Axl had the bandana and the energy.
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #50 on: September 02, 2006, 07:34:17 PM »

I agree with this, axl's voice was an embarassment back in '02.? Although I can look over his high voice because I am a die hard fan.( I'll never give up on GN"R.) But can any NEW fans of? the "New GN'R" say they like his falsetto voice?

Again Axl NEVER lost his voice in 2002 he was just singing properly because he was saving it for the studio. Now he is singing like he did in the early 90s that destoryed his vocal chords because he is done with the studio work. ?Axl used the rasp sometiimes in 2002 and sounds like he does now. ?I dont know why people cannot understand he sang the way he did in 2002 by design

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #51 on: September 02, 2006, 07:43:09 PM »

Exactly Dave, that's what I've been saying.  Axl was also experimenting with that new style. He was saving his voice because he didn't want to ruin it on a tour that he didn't want to do, especially with an unfinished album.

And please, we all know no one replaced his oxygen tank with a helium tank.  peace hihi
the dirt
Princess
Legend

A hair's breadth!!

« Reply #52 on: September 02, 2006, 07:45:08 PM »

Again Axl NEVER lost his voice in 2002 he was just singing properly because he was saving it for the studio. Now he is singing like he did in the early 90s that destoryed his vocal chords because he is done with the studio work. ?Axl used the rasp sometiimes in 2002 and sounds like he does now. ?I dont know why people cannot understand he sang the way he did in 2002 by design

Not to mention he didn't even want to be out there.

The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you.
GnR-NOW
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #53 on: September 02, 2006, 08:27:47 PM »

I wouldnt dwell too much on 2002, it wasnt terrible but it was far from great.  But it probably enabled the band to be successful now, by that I mean in 2002 it was a completely shock look for the band, no one really knew who the new members were, so Axl was pretty much setting himself up to fail.  Now in 2006, everyones already seen the new band and Axl's voice is back.

KillKurtzKids
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #54 on: September 02, 2006, 10:04:31 PM »

Yeah Axl was experementing at the MTV awards in 2002 at sounding shit,  ok

It was an error, get over it you embarrassingly suck up fan boys.
The Prez
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #55 on: September 08, 2006, 06:49:50 AM »

I agree on that. People who are fan since then, don't dig the shit how GN'R sounded and looked in 2002 at the VMA...
The only positive thing about it, was the fact that WAR is still alive and...kicking

His voice back in the 90's (tokyo and so on...) was fucking awesome! How can some people say it was bad??? If you find it bad, then just don't listen to GN'R...because that's how the voice of Axl should sound: BLOODY RAW!! BLOODY FUCKIN' RAW!
That's one of the reason why we - old (and new?) fans loved him and GN'R in the first place.

The way they sound now is not the same anymore but anyhow I like it much more than 2002. At some points they give me back the GN'R feeling I once had...hopefully, when I even get used to the new guys even more than at this moment...then maybe...yeah maybe I can forget about the old guys (maybe! very unlikely...but still maybe? Wink )...

offcourse Chinese Democracy will make a big argument to judge about the 'new' GN'R...

There is a difference between the opinion of the majority and the thruth...
Bostonrose
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #56 on: September 08, 2006, 07:48:13 AM »

because axl couldnt hear himself due to technical difficulties and didnt sound too good

Who said he couldn't hear himself due to tech difficulties?

"I never wanted you to be so full of anger, I never wanted you to be somebody else"
Bostonrose
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #57 on: September 08, 2006, 07:50:24 AM »

HAHA,? ?rofl rofl

NO, Axl was not in shape for 2002, he was out of breathe, and not ready...nothing to do with saving your voice..
give me a break

and if that is the case, we'll have to wait another 16 years after Chinese Democracy, so Axl can get his "vocal chords" back in shape.

and Axl never had vocal chord problems......his voice was tired, but that is far from saying he destroyed his vocal chords...

"I never wanted you to be so full of anger, I never wanted you to be somebody else"
a.k.a. Dovey
VIP

Does the walker choose the path?

« Reply #58 on: September 08, 2006, 07:56:37 AM »

Wrong! I have been a fan of the band since 1987 and have seen the band 23 times since 1990. So I think I have a pretty good fucking knowledge of the band. Some of your recent posts are pretty bloody opinionated (like the dumb post about Axl not being big in the states anymore. What about the Hammerstein shows being the talk of New York? And the lukewarm reaction to the VMA's - who the bloody hell said it got a lukewarm reception?)
I think you should maybe think a little bit more about your posts before you write them! Mike

CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #59 on: September 08, 2006, 03:34:06 PM »

HAHA,? ?rofl rofl

NO, Axl was not in shape for 2002, he was out of breathe, and not ready...nothing to do with saving your voice..
give me a break

and if that is the case, we'll have to wait another 16 years after Chinese Democracy, so Axl can get his "vocal chords" back in shape.

and Axl never had vocal chord problems......his voice was tired, but that is far from saying he destroyed his vocal chords...

woah bostonrose, how the hell can you have -5 in karma and not beeing banned haha i thought -3 was the most you could have but -5
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: