Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 07:35:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227820 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Wake up, it's time to play!
| |-+  Nice Boys Don't Play Rock And Roll
| | |-+  [help needed] Drum Tracks - Software?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: [help needed] Drum Tracks - Software?  (Read 6789 times)
Aero
Not Axl
VIP

Not Axl

« on: September 05, 2006, 09:30:02 PM »

Hi there... I was wondering if any of you knows a decent program to make drum tracks... kinda fruity loops.

I downloaded reason 3.0 but I can't figure out how to program them easily... So please give me some programs names to create decent drum tracks for home-made videos.

Thank you in advance...

Aero  peace

Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2006, 10:23:52 PM »

Hammerhead Rhythm Station.

Fuck 'Em All.
Poof!
Rocker

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2006, 03:48:01 AM »

Hammerhead Rhythm Station.

Yes, I swear by Hammerhead. It's a free download.
MR W,AXL ROSE
Welsh, and luvin' it
Legend

live,breathe eat GNR.

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2006, 01:41:17 PM »

hammerhead rocks.is there any way of downloading loops from songs like GNR for example  ok

╔═╦╦╦═╦═╗ ╔═╗ ╔═╦═╦═╦═╦═╗
║║║║║║║╚╣ ║║║ ║═║║║╚╣═╣╚╣
╠╗║║║║╠╗║ ║║║ ║╚╣║╠╗║═╬╗║
╚═╩═╩╩╩═╝ ╚╩╝ ╚╩╩═╩═╩═╩═╝
IzzyDutch
VIP

Here Today... Fuck The Hell

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2006, 02:26:52 PM »

I use hotstepper.de as a drumsequencer cause it's very simple and the samples I use from naturalstudio.co.uk
loretian
VIP

It would take a lot more time than you...

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2006, 06:03:12 PM »

I use Reason... I can help with that if you're interested.

An easy way to get drum tracks in that is to use the pre-existing loops in the Dr. REX loop player.

If I start to break down, it's from the love that I've found
PJ
black metal poser dude
VIP

And I'm crazier!

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2006, 07:33:59 PM »

hammerhead rules..
im programmin a lo in that dm

"I'm still impressed by my ability to put a shine on a pile of bullshit"
                                        SLASH
http://www.gnrsource.com
Aero
Not Axl
VIP

Not Axl

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2006, 01:31:53 PM »

I'm interested in using reason and/or groove agent...

Basically I want a program where I can program patterns (for example fruity loops) and then use those patterns to pasthe them into a drum track

I want to PROGRAM them (I don't have any midi device to play drums... only my mouse  hihi)

Please loretian (or any other cool person in here) add me aero_brusnroses@hotmail.com MSN

loretian
VIP

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2006, 01:41:52 PM »

I don't have MSN.

In Reason, "Create a new Device" of type Redrum.

The device will be created.? It's pretty simple to use, even if it looks intimidating at first.

(This is all documented in the "Getting Started with Reason" PDF that came with it, so check that for screenshots if this is confusing)

The first thing you need to do is load up your drum sound files.? Click the little folder icon, then select "Reason Sound Bank", go into the Redrum files, and find some drum sound that's what you're looking for.

Once it's loaded, you have the eight different drum sounds listed across horizontally.? Each strip down is a drum sound.? If you press the play button near the top of each strip, you can hear that sound.? Click the "select" button at the bottom of each strip to select a sound, and then click a block on the pattern selector thing to make the drum play at that beat.? Click the "run" button to have the pattern run so you can hear how it sounds.

There's tons of shit you can do from there, like programming in different patterns, changing how hard each beat is, adding reverb and other effects, but that should help you get started.  Again, I recommend the getting started with reason pdf to see how to use it with pictures. 

If you fool around and experiment with it a little, it'll all make sense.? It's not as easy to use as Fruity Loops, but you can do a million more things with it.? One thing that makes it kinda confusing compared to fruityloops, is that you can only see which beats the drum sound you have selected plays on, not all of them at once.

Reason is a fucking complete package, so once you start to get the hang of it, you'll be amazed at what you can do.? One thing I've always wanted to try was to record individual licks, vocals, etc., in pro tools, and then load them as samples on reason and construct a song that way, rather than busing Reason directly into Pro Tools like I usually do.

If you get stuck, feel free to hit me up with questions.? I figure this is appropriate to post here rather than PM cause other people can use this info too.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2006, 01:51:01 PM by loretian » Logged

Aero
Not Axl
VIP

Not Axl

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2006, 04:17:33 AM »

I already got how to do that before this post... what I don't know is how to "program" the patterns and how to export that into a wav file.

example:

1 time pattern 1A
4 times pattern 2A
2 times pattern 8b

etc

once i did that, how do i export the drum track into a wav file (to import the wav into my multtitrack soft?

that's all.. hope you can help me  peace

thank you

loretian
VIP

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2006, 12:25:53 PM »

No problem.

On the bottom strip of the software... I'm not sure what it's called, but make sure you have the Redrum strip set to input mode.  Then, click the record button, then play.  The very first pattern you click to will be the base pattern for the redrum device (ie, the default pattern it will use unless you tell it to use another pattern).  Then, as it plays, you can just select pattern changes and it will record them.

The pattern changes will show up as a little vertical lines in that strip at the bottom in the window, and you can edit them by hand by switching to the MIDI edit mode.

To export it to a wav, there should be an option called "Export" in the file menu, where you can select "wav" as a type.  I forget exactly what it's called - I'm at work at the moment, but when I get home later today, I'll post exactly what it is.

Aero
Not Axl
VIP

Not Axl

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2006, 01:20:05 PM »

I already got that... when I record it I can edit it in the sequencer... I also can select the pattern, right click "copy patter to sequencer"

But what I want to do is to PROGRAM the drum, not put record and change patterns live like a disc jokey...

the other thing that I don't know how to do is to use the sequencer

example: I already have that pattern in the sequencer but I want to add some crash sound for a fill... "snap to grid" button doesnt work, because if i select the pencil tool to add a sound in the sequencer, it doesn't "stick" to the tempo, I can place it anywhere and I want it on tempo.

do you know how to do that?

many thanks man !  peace

loretian
VIP

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2006, 01:34:20 PM »

The way redrum works, you create the different fills you want as patterns, and switch to that pattern for the measure you want the fill to be in.  I do not copy the drum pattern directly into the sequencer.  You can do that, and try and place the extra sounds in there, but in my opinion, you're better off just keeping them as patterns in the redrum device and recording your pattern changes in the sequencer (you can either do it in the edit mode, or you can do it by recording and making the changes on the fly "like a live dj" - I don't understand the problem with doing it that way either, the result is the same either way)

The advantage of keeping all your patterns in the redrum device rather than in the sequencer is that if you use a fill in several places throughout your song, and want to change that fill, you only have to change it once in redrum.  Otherwise, you'd have to change it everywhere in your sequencer.

Alternatively, you could create two redrums devices, and use one to hold your main patterns, and use another to do your fills.

Is that what you're looking for?  I might not be understanding you exactly right... But using drum patterns in redrum, and pattern changes in the sequencer, I'm able to construct full drum tracks for my songs that include fills and that kind of stuff.

Aero
Not Axl
VIP

Not Axl

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2006, 01:50:39 PM »

you're better off just keeping them as patterns in the redrum device and recording your pattern changes in the sequencer (you can either do it in the edit mode, or you can do it by recording and making the changes on the fly "like a live dj" - I don't understand the problem with doing it that way either, the result is the same either way)

great !

can you post a screenshot, video, text, or something to know how to do that, without on the fly ?

I don't want to do it on the fly because I play guitar over the drum while I record them, just to see what kind of fill rytm etc fills better.

thanks man for you time. really

loretian
VIP

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2006, 01:54:44 PM »

can you post a screenshot, video, text, or something to know how to do that, without on the fly ?

I don't want to do it on the fly because I play guitar over the drum while I record them, just to see what kind of fill rytm etc fills better.

No problem.? Glad to help.

I think you're misunderstanding me, though (or I'm not understanding you).? If you put the redrum device in input mode in the sequencer (like you have it in that screenshot you posted), then click record, then play, and make your drum pattern changes, they will be recorded into the sequencer.? Then, when you play it back, the drum changes will happen automatically, and you can output that to a wav file, and use that in your multitracking software.

I am still at work, but if you're still confused, I will make screenshots as soon as I get home (it might be five hours before I get home though).

By the way, what multitracking software are you using?? Does it support ReWire?? If it does, you should be able to run Reason directly into it, without having to output to a wav file.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2006, 01:58:20 PM by loretian » Logged

Aero
Not Axl
VIP

Not Axl

« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2006, 11:44:33 PM »

No problem.? Glad to help.

If you put the redrum device in input mode in the sequencer (like you have it in that screenshot you posted), then click record, then play, and make your drum pattern changes, they will be recorded into the sequencer.? Then, when you play it back, the drum changes will happen automatically

I already can do that, but I need to play my guitar while I program drums to know where to add fills etc...

once I made all the patterns, is there a way to "set" the order and repeat times of each pattern without setting it "on the fly"? (rec and play)

For example... I made a pattern for a solo and then I decided to extend the solo.. so I want to EDIT the pattern automation and INSERT some extra time for the "guitar solo" drum pattern... I dont want to erease everything and make on the fly all the song with the changes... I just want to add, remove, replace, insert, etc with the mouse, not "on the fly"

is there a way?

I hope you can understand me, I learnt english by my own by browsing gnr  forums  hihi

Aero
Not Axl
VIP

Not Axl

« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2006, 03:58:27 PM »

I guess I figured out how to do pattern automations.

Many thanks for you help and time.

peace

darkmonth
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2006, 09:21:22 PM »

Shit ... this all goes over my head Smiley

I just use Cubase, and plug in Groove Agent and let it play ... LOL!  I then just rock to it Smiley
loretian
VIP

« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2006, 10:40:27 AM »

I guess I figured out how to do pattern automations.

Many thanks for you help and time.

peace

Cool!  Glad you figured it out.  Let me know if you get stuck anywhere else and I'll help if I can.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: