Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 01:54:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227818 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  'Rocky Balboa' The movie is one of the years BEST' According to AICN REVIEW
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 'Rocky Balboa' The movie is one of the years BEST' According to AICN REVIEW  (Read 31957 times)
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #160 on: January 25, 2007, 11:29:19 PM »

*SPOILERS*

Many of the pre-release rumors were that he died at the end. Maybe in the ring, or collapsing after holding the audience member's hand at the end. If he DID die, the movie would be on track to win an Oscar. Stupid critics can't handle a good ending.  Roll Eyes

His death WAS foreshadowed. The announcer called the fight an "execution", there is a flashback to Adrian's grave when Rocky gets hit really hard, and at the very end, Paulie says "This is the last round of your life, Rock!" I think Stallone did this on purpose to give emo critics the finger. He sets up a tragic death and has Rocky leave triumphant, instead. I just KNOW he did all that on purpose to mess with our minds. Doing that probably cost him a lot of critical acclaim, but damn it, it was worth it! Rocky always comes out on top, even if he doesn't win. Wink
GnFnR87
Legend

GNR FOREVER!!!! AXL'S THE BEST!!!!!!!!!

« Reply #161 on: January 25, 2007, 11:46:58 PM »

stallone was seriously thinking about having Rocky die at the end of the match with Drago in Rocky 4 as well.....

Shows:?? 5/17/06 @ Hammerstein, 11/10/06 @ MSG
It's so close..... i can feel it.....
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #162 on: January 26, 2007, 08:39:03 AM »

Why would Rocky have died?

This was a film about triumph, about succeeding in the face of adversity - if he died it would have made the film rather pointless - how could it be about winning if it ends in failure and death?!?

Rocky did win at the end, he won over doubt and prejudice - the title was irrelevant

Quick! To the bandwagon!
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #163 on: January 26, 2007, 03:42:13 PM »

He also kind of foreshadowed with the "I gotta go out the way I gotta go out line"

Thing is, like izzy said, this movie was about not letting anyone tell u that u cant do something regardless of age,race, social class etc etc etc.

Stallone explained the Brain Damage from Rocky V being gone in this one on an interview on aintitcoolnews.

he said that basically it was back in a time where technology wasnt as advanced as today and he points out that Rocky never got a second opinion either. Turns out he just had a severe concussion and post concussion syndrome which caused the problems he had in Rocky V.

As u notice in Rocky Balboa he got a clean bill of health.

People didnt like Rocky V just how he lost all his money and the movie as a whole was extremely depressing.

In RockY Balboa I like to think that:

1. He made millions off the fight with Mason which allowed him to gain back the life he earned previously.

2. It proved that he was the greatest of all time, cause if he could go the distance in his 50's, he definitely would've killed Mason in his prime.

SO he didnt win but he proved that in his prime he was a far superior fighter to mason Dixon.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
SuperMike
« Reply #164 on: January 26, 2007, 04:42:30 PM »

I found this recent interview (right before Rocky Balboa was released) and Stallone talks about people in real life that still fight in their 50s.

QUESTION: Did George Foreman have any influence on that decision that Rocky could still fight professionally?

SYLVESTER STALLONE: Well, that, George Foreman! George Foreman gives Rocky a great credibility. So does Larry Holmes, he's 53, or 54 fighting. There are a couple of fighters today living out. The oldest one is 58, I believe, Sol Mamby for real. So it's happened. They believe that Sonny Liston was almost 50 years old and fought Mohammed Ali and, you know, lied about it. But the point is as, as it's said in Rocky, "They just want to prove that the last thing to age is the heart." And this is just, you know, a symbolic gesture that when you're young at heart you're basically in the game.

http://rockybalboablog.blogspot.com/
Izzy
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #165 on: January 27, 2007, 02:15:23 PM »

1. He made millions off the fight with Mason which allowed him to gain back the life he earned previously.

Pauli says in the film how he's sorting out endorsements

..but i dont think Rocky cared or needed the money - he seemed to have found a new role he was happy with in the resturant, it was just that he couldn't fully let go of the past - which he ultimately managed to do in the film

2. It proved that he was the greatest of all time, cause if he could go the distance in his 50's, he definitely would've killed Mason in his prime.

SO he didnt win but he proved that in his prime he was a far superior fighter to mason Dixon.

I dont think there is any doubt about that - he only just lost out on a split decision at 58, no doubt the world recognised him as a vastly superior boxer

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Jim
I was cured, all right.
Legend

Singin' tu-lur-a-lei-oh...

« Reply #166 on: January 27, 2007, 02:19:32 PM »

I'll tell you what did crack me up...

... The Reservation/Indian line. There was another thing that got a big laugh out of me, but I can't remember what it was............

worst signature.

officially.

not chris misfit.
GnFnR87
Legend

GNR FOREVER!!!! AXL'S THE BEST!!!!!!!!!

« Reply #167 on: January 27, 2007, 02:51:04 PM »

I'll tell you what did crack me up...

... The Reservation/Indian line. There was another thing that got a big laugh out of me, but I can't remember what it was............

haha that was great.

my favorite was after Paulie got fired and he came to the restaruant all pissed off, and Rocky was like, "C'mon Paulie, we're about to serve the special" and Paulie goes, "Italian food cooked by mexicans ain't that special"

both times i went to see this movie the whole audience cracked up when Paulie said that.

Shows:?? 5/17/06 @ Hammerstein, 11/10/06 @ MSG
It's so close..... i can feel it.....
Bill 213
Legend

The buck stops here!

« Reply #168 on: March 19, 2007, 09:27:01 PM »

Rocky Balboa comes out tomorrow on DVD......can't wait......even comes complete with an alternate ending.  peace

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
-Jack-
Kickin' it old school
Legend

DT imba

« Reply #169 on: March 19, 2007, 09:28:56 PM »

.....even comes complete with an alternate ending.  peace

No way! Does anybody know what happens? Or if it's very different?

gnrevolution.com
Bill 213
Legend

The buck stops here!

« Reply #170 on: March 19, 2007, 09:31:16 PM »

.....even comes complete with an alternate ending.? peace

No way! Does anybody know what happens? Or if it's very different?

Oh it's different.....I don't want to spoil it, but it's different.

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
The Chad Cometh
Mike Stewart is God
VIP

Don't think Axl! Makes my dick itch!

« Reply #171 on: March 19, 2007, 10:00:46 PM »

You can spoil it real good in a PM if you would.  ok

I was living to the best of my ability, now I'm living in correctional facility
kupirock
Somewhat Damaged
Legend

« Reply #172 on: March 20, 2007, 09:37:27 AM »

You can spoil it real good in a PM if you would.  ok

Yeah same here  Wink

"Hearing Don't Cry isn't all that exciting considering there are many youtube clips available of it being performed live." -from mygnr.com-
Bill 213
Legend

The buck stops here!

« Reply #173 on: March 20, 2007, 10:01:46 AM »

Now that I've officially seen the alternate ending....I'm glad they used the ending they did.  It gives Rocky's send off much more meaning because even though he lost the fight, no one even cared about it as everyone was going nuts cheering him as he walked off. 

The alternate ending was quite cheesy to say the least.  Since I guess it's not technically "spoiling" the movie, you may as well know it...Rocky wins the split decision instead of Dixon.  Basically Rocky trails off and Dixon gives the "it ain't over till it's over line."  Rocky winning actually does nothing for the movie as it basically gets shrouded by the original ending anyway of everyone just cheering Rocky and not the outcome of the fight. 

creepingvines
Headliner

exploding whispers...

« Reply #174 on: March 20, 2007, 11:20:18 AM »

has anyone seen the video for madagascar i made awhile ago using clips from the rocky balboa trailer?  i'm no expert at this video shit, and i didn't use the best version of the song, but it was pretty fun to make and i think it gets the point across!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRfx5ktkwe0
Izzy
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #175 on: March 20, 2007, 02:36:34 PM »

such an awesome film, i think the 'true' ending is probably the correct one...though of course we all think Rocky won anyway

If he had actually won i think it would have distracted from the point of the film - it wasnt about winning, it was about staying true to who you are, and going the distance - winning was irrelevant

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: