Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:42:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227700 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  GN'R On Tour!
| | |-+  North America 2006
| | | |-+  November 20 - Halifax, NS @ Halifax Metro Centre
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 Go Down Print
Author Topic: November 20 - Halifax, NS @ Halifax Metro Centre  (Read 164047 times)
Mark7955
Rocker

Democracy is Here...

« Reply #360 on: November 21, 2006, 09:47:44 PM »

The show was amazing..deffinetly a major highlight of my life. I was in HMV today with Jono and saw a blank cd case that said on the cover.."Chinese Democracy: Release date December 19, 2006"..not sure if its credible or not but I hope so.

"The fire is burnin' and it's outta control, it's not a problem you can stop, it's ROCK N' ROLL!"
"With your bitch slap rappin' and your cocaine tongue you get nothin' done"

11/20/06 - Halifax, NS
Psychophobia
« Reply #361 on: November 21, 2006, 10:49:21 PM »

The show was amazing..deffinetly a major highlight of my life. I was in HMV today with Jono and saw a blank cd case that said on the cover.."Chinese Democracy: Release date December 19, 2006"..not sure if its credible or not but I hope so.
Really...! Wow, that's probably the most convincing thing I've heard as far as the release dates go. I'll have to drop by HMV and see for myself, haha.
RoCoKiN
VIP

I am The Shackler in the Rye with Diamonds!!

« Reply #362 on: November 22, 2006, 08:25:22 AM »

Hey Filthy, i saw Del and Frank walking the crowd too...I don't know, but it looked like they were scoping out for chicks or something...I only saw one gut walk up to them in the whole crowd (do you have long dark hair)  Anyway Del walked up the aisle by my section with a walkie and a flashlight...I wanted to say something but I didn't.

'...Oh, my distorted smile...'
melissa
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #363 on: November 22, 2006, 10:39:33 AM »

thanks..... what is liquor and whores??

here it is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVsp9gos3_8
Sunn074
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #364 on: November 22, 2006, 11:49:51 AM »

I'm new, but just registered so I could post my review...

Overall it was a really great show. I've never seen Guns N' Roses before and have been waiting since I was 13 to finally have the chance. So just getting to go to this show was a pretty big deal to me. At the same time, it was going to be very hard for it to fully live up to my expectations. But even considering that, I can't really complain too much.

When we got in line around 7:45, a security guy was yelling out all the stuff you can't take in. One of them was wallet chains. When he said that, he pointed right at mine. So I had to get out of line and take it back to the car. That sucked, but wasn't the end of the world. But when I came back the line was gone.

When I got in, we found our seats, realized they weren't half bad, then went to check out the merch. My wife and I each got a shirt, I grabbed one of the posters and a skull cap with the old GN'R logo for our son.

Around 8:30 Die Mannequin came on. They sucked ass. I like a lot of different types of music and lots of it other people would say is horrible. But that band was not good. The singer kept getting down in front of the stage. Every time she did that I thought, "Great, the time it takes her to go down there, sing and then climb back on the stage, means it's going to take that much longer for the song to end." Eventually they did stop, but only after a very long, annoying song that again involved the singer going down off the stage.

The Suicide Girls came on maybe 9:00-9:30ish. Not bad for what it was, but kind of boring after a while.

The Trews came on sometime after 10:00. They weren't bad, but not really my thing.

It must have been around 11:30-11:45 when GN'R came on. Everyone was going nuts during the into music and as soon as Robin started playing the opening to "Welcome to the Jungle" the place just exploded. It was pretty overwhelming for me and kind of hard to describe. It sent tingles up my spine and my knees were a little shaky. It was just a flood of emotions and adrenaline all at once. I did noticed right away that Axl's voice was getting lost in the mix. The other thing I found was they weren't really loud enough. It was hard to sing along because I'm used to being drowned out at shows. Plus it was almost distracting in a way to sing along, so for quite a bit of the night I just listened and took everything in. After "WTTJ" the mix got evened out a bit and you could hear Axl much better. It stayed that way for the rest of the night.

"It's So Easy" and "Mr. Brownstone" were both great. Everyone went nuts for "Live & Let Die" which is kind of odd. I like the song, but it's not really my favorite. Must have been lots of old Beatles/Wings fans there. "Knocking On Heaven's Door" was good, but sounded a little different. I think they changed it up a little. It was hard to recognize it when they started until the first verse came in. "Sweet Child O' Mine" was also really good and the crowed was really into it. I heard that Axl had been getting drowned out during "You Could Be Mine", but not last night, he tore through it and I could hear everything. The crowd reacted pretty well for "Better" given that it's a song most of them have never heard. They weren't into "The Blues" as much, but part of that was also because of some momentum being lost with the solos. Each time a solo came along people were into it and cheering, but lots of them started sitting down. Which I can't fucking stand. Don't come to a Guns N' Roses show and sit. That's insulting to the band. My wife tapped my on my shoulder and said the people behind me were complaining because I wasn't sitting down. I just said, "Too bad." and kept standing. Mind you the band kind of shot themselves in the foot by times with the lulls during the show. That would be one of my few complaints. The set list combined with all the solos was total peeks and valleys. They would start to gain some momentum, then throw in something slow or a long solo. I didn't really mind, but it was really annoying how people around me would react by sitting. They still were enjoying everything, just enjoying it like a bunch of old lame people.

Towards the end of the show the Ricky, Julian and Bubbles from the Trailer Park Boys came out and got a great response from the crowd. The band (including Axl) then played "Liquor & Whores" with Bubbles singing and playing guitar. Axl looked like he was having a great time and was laughing lots. It was really cool seeing guys from a show/movie that is done locally get that kind of recognition from GN'R and for the band to see how much people here love the TPB.

During Ron's solo he played "Oh Canada" and got a huge reaction/sing along from the crowd. He then played "Don't Cry". It was good, but I would rather have heard the band play it with Axl singing.

They then played "Rocket Queen" and "My Michelle", which were both awesome. "Patience" was next, then they ended with "Nightrain". After a few min they came back and did "Madagascar" which was really well done. The closed the show with "Paradise City". That was at 2:15am.

Some random things...

I was a little disappointed about some of the songs they didn't play. "Down on the Farm" especially. But also "TWAT", "IRS", "Used to Love Her" and "Chinese Democracy". I know they wouldn't have played all those due to time, but I think one or two that normally would have been included got left out for some reason. "Down on the Farm" likely got taken out to make room for "Liquor & Whores".

The crowd was good overall, but I would have liked to have seen people getting into it more.

Although it could have been louder, the sound was really good.

Axl sounded great.

Axl left the stage lots of times, but he always came back, which is all that matters.

Don't ask me to sit down if you're behind me at a show unless you want to be told to fuck off. Wink

Oh, and I saw Del James walking around with Frank between some of the opening acts. They were on the floor looking up into the crowd in the lower bowl. Del had a little walkie talkie. I don't know what they were doing. Crowd control?

Del is shorter than you would expect. But everyone is shorter in real life. And has short hair now.
Mark7955
Rocker

Democracy is Here...

« Reply #365 on: November 22, 2006, 04:04:16 PM »

Really...! Wow, that's probably the most convincing thing I've heard as far as the release dates go. I'll have to drop by HMV and see for myself, haha.
Yeah, was going to take a pic of it but forgot the camera.

"The fire is burnin' and it's outta control, it's not a problem you can stop, it's ROCK N' ROLL!"

11/20/06 - Halifax, NS
FILTHY
Headliner

I'm a llama!

« Reply #366 on: November 22, 2006, 04:47:09 PM »

Hey Filthy, i saw Del and Frank walking the crowd too...I don't know, but it looked like they were scoping out for chicks or something...I only saw one gut walk up to them in the whole crowd (do you have long dark hair)  Anyway Del walked up the aisle by my section with a walkie and a flashlight...I wanted to say something but I didn't.

Yeah, I have long dark hair, I had it tied back.  I talked to them right where you go on to the floor from the aisle. 
axl2
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #367 on: November 22, 2006, 08:01:15 PM »

Sucks that its over now. Think this will be the only time i see GNR in Halifax...Sad I hope they come back...

www.bluejayfever.com

Blue Jays Site/Forum...Need Some Members For This Board. We Plan To Make It The Best Jays Site Online.
Mark7955
Rocker

Democracy is Here...

« Reply #368 on: November 22, 2006, 10:27:24 PM »

Sucks that its over now. Think this will be the only time i see GNR in Halifax...Sad I hope they come back...
I think they will come back after the response they got from the crowd...plus, Axl likes the Trailer Park Boys so maybe that could help

11/20/06 - Halifax, NS
RoCoKiN
VIP

« Reply #369 on: November 22, 2006, 10:59:39 PM »

I'm just startng to get over the empty feeling I've had since the show ended!  Cry

RoCoKiN
VIP

« Reply #370 on: November 23, 2006, 08:51:29 AM »

Did anyone else see Merck and Beta during the show?  Merck was there by the stage all night and I only saw Beta come out when th Trailer Park Boys were on stage.  And I could see Del standing on the other side of the stage.

Noticeboy
Headliner

Rock On!

« Reply #371 on: November 23, 2006, 09:11:19 AM »

I think they will come back after the response they got from the crowd...plus, Axl likes the Trailer Park Boys so maybe that could help

You think that was a good crowd response?
Let me guess, you haven't been to many concerts.
People sitting on their asses most of the night and hardly singing along.. that's not very good crowd response.
Hell, more people sang along at the Goo Goo Dolls on Tuesday night.
I hope you prove me wrong and they come back. Lots of people don't make for a good response (other than ticket sales).
And it was a true testament when the Trailer Park Boys got more of an applause than the band.

It's Rock n Roll, Not Brain Surgery!
BIGj
Opening Act

I used a rubber once when I was 18- Slash

« Reply #372 on: November 23, 2006, 10:00:49 AM »

I think a lot of the reason the crowd was so laid back is due to the fact that there was no alcohol for sale. The six of us that went started drinking at lunch time and halfway through the GNR set, the hangover started to kick in. I would imagine that 9000 people with access to alcohol would be a lot louder than 9000 people without it.

I Bought the Fifth of Whiskey
RoCoKiN
VIP

« Reply #373 on: November 23, 2006, 10:42:58 AM »

Also, shows don't tend to start at 12 midnight and end at 2 in the morning and people were probably starting to crash.  I think it is a good sign that people stuck around as late as they did...I would have stuck around til 4 in the morning if I had to.

daubs
« Reply #374 on: November 23, 2006, 11:29:02 AM »

Also, shows don't tend to start at 12 midnight and end at 2 in the morning and people were probably starting to crash.? I think it is a good sign that people stuck around as late as they did...I would have stuck around til 4 in the morning if I had to.

i agree the people behind me were getting tired.
Noticeboy
Headliner

Rock On!

« Reply #375 on: November 23, 2006, 01:39:00 PM »

I agree with all the above. But my point still holds tight. They weren't into it.. whatever the case may be.

Jono
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #376 on: November 23, 2006, 01:51:24 PM »

Did anyone else see Merck and Beta during the show?? Merck was there by the stage all night and I only saw Beta come out when th Trailer Park Boys were on stage.? And I could see Del standing on the other side of the stage.

I was on the opposite side of the stage and I saw Beta during the TPB as well. I guess Merck sticks to the left side of the stage (facing the crowd)
Mark7955
Rocker

Democracy is Here...

« Reply #377 on: November 23, 2006, 03:48:13 PM »

You think that was a good crowd response?
Let me guess, you haven't been to many concerts.
People sitting on their asses most of the night and hardly singing along.. that's not very good crowd response.
Hell, more people sang along at the Goo Goo Dolls on Tuesday night.
I hope you prove me wrong and they come back. Lots of people don't make for a good response (other than ticket sales).
And it was a true testament when the Trailer Park Boys got more of an applause than the band.
Yes agreed, I do know that GNR has better responses but from some of the concerts I've seen in the area they've done well...but also agreeing with the posts above that 1) there was no alcohol and 2) it was late for a lot of people on a monday night. I also hope that im not wrong with thinking they will come back.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2006, 03:55:35 PM by Mark7955 » Logged

11/20/06 - Halifax, NS
Noticeboy
Headliner

Rock On!

« Reply #378 on: November 23, 2006, 05:40:04 PM »

I also hope that im not wrong with thinking they will come back.

I hope you're right as well.
But I'm not holding my breath.

RoCoKiN
VIP

« Reply #379 on: November 24, 2006, 08:35:00 AM »

Bubbles and Axl are tight now, maybe he'll make sure he comes back!  rofl

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: