Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 02, 2024, 09:20:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227983 Posts in 43256 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  So, Anyone else Puzzled By Some of These Venues and Dates GNR are Playing At?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: So, Anyone else Puzzled By Some of These Venues and Dates GNR are Playing At?  (Read 16901 times)
Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« Reply #60 on: September 28, 2006, 03:08:42 PM »

Axl could sell out stadiums again, if he would release the album and promote the tour

No he couldn't. GNR at their biggest needed Metallica to do stadiums in the US and they weren't all full.

GNR sold out the LA Colliseum and the Rose Bowl (80,000). Granted that was with Metallica. But GNR sold out The Forum (25,000) in minutes with just Skid Row. They sold out this joint in Vegas when Soundgarden opened for them that held more then the Forum. These were sold out in just minutes of going on sale. I was down hours before tickets went on sale for the Forum show, and we got bracelts and shit, and the show was almost completely sold out before it was my turn. I got tickets but the show was sold out in maybe 10-15 minutes. Again a 25,000 seater without Metallica. GNR always sold out whenever and wherever they played in LA. That was 13 years ago but still.

I DON'T NEED TO BELIEVE IN A GOD
holtzmn73
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #61 on: September 28, 2006, 03:14:20 PM »

1-LA Coliseum wasn't sold out for the GNR/Metallica tour.
2-The LA Forum does not hold anywhere near 25,000
3-Yes, GNR sold out arenas on the UYI tour but they couldn't do Stadiums on their own, except one off shows like Miami on New Years Eve.
4-Anyone who actually wants Axl to play Stadiums has obviously never gone to a stadium show and seen how bad they really are for concerts.
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #62 on: September 28, 2006, 03:18:25 PM »

I think we'll get a stadium tour on the second leg.

Man, and I thought being able to fill arenas by the second leg of a tour is an optomistic goal. Stadiums is an absolute pipe dream.

I meant arenas.  Tongue
JuicySwoos
VIP

Thatwhy

« Reply #63 on: September 28, 2006, 03:23:49 PM »

Roy Wilkins Auditorium in St Paul would be perfect for this band, holds just under 6,000. Northrup Auditorium on the U of M campus also holds just under 5000 but its seated.

Exactly, top end those venues are too small, and Target Center and Xcel are too big. In 02 they got 7 thousand plus at the target center. Hence why they may skip Minneapolis. I hope not.

Roy Wilkins is not too small for this band, with no album its the perfect size, they'll sell it out and can play Target or Xcel next year when they come back after the album has been released. Also they did not get over 7,000 at the Target Center in '02, its better for them to play smaller places and sell them out and wow the crowd than to play less than 50% full arenas.?

Yes they did get more than 7000 in the Target center, if you check online you'll get a range from 6000+ to 10,000. ?I was there and it was definately more than 7000. I'd love to see them at Roy Wilkins, but I seriosuly doubt Axl would play at a B list venue that holds 5800 people when its not a warm up gig. ?If they play Target or Xcel, they should do half house shows. ?

FYI
 11.14.02 - Target Center, Minneapolis, MN
opening acts: CKY, Mix Master Mike
attendance: 8,000
set: Welcome To The Jungle, It's So Easy, Mr. Brownstone, Live And Let Die, Think About You, Knockin' On Heaven's Door, You Could Be Mine, Guitar Solo [Robin], Sweet Child O' Mine, Out Ta Get Me, Rocket Queen, Piano Solo, November Rain, Madagascar, Guitar Solo [Buckethead], My Michelle, The Blues, Chinese Democracy, Patience, Nightrain
encore: Guitar Solo [Robin], Paradise City
audio/video recording?: audio
notes: For the second show in a row, the band hit the stage after 10:30 p.m.

2002- Minneapolis, MN
2006- Ames, IA
2006- Minneapolis, MN
2011- Minneapolis, MN
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Chicago, IL
2017- Minnea
Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #64 on: September 28, 2006, 03:27:02 PM »

That was 13 years ago but still.

With a completely different band line-up, coming off of Appetite and the Illusions- 2 of the best selling albums of the 5 year span, at the height of the bands popularity.

Other than the power of the brand name you are comparing apples to oranges looking at what happened during the 90's and trying to apply it to 2006.
JuicySwoos
VIP

Thatwhy

« Reply #65 on: September 28, 2006, 03:45:22 PM »

Roy Wilkins Auditorium in St Paul would be perfect for this band, holds just under 6,000. Northrup Auditorium on the U of M campus also holds just under 5000 but its seated.

Exactly, top end those venues are too small, and Target Center and Xcel are too big. In 02 they got 7 thousand plus at the target center. Hence why they may skip Minneapolis. I hope not.

Roy Wilkins is not too small for this band, with no album its the perfect size, they'll sell it out and can play Target or Xcel next year when they come back after the album has been released. Also they did not get over 7,000 at the Target Center in '02, its better for them to play smaller places and sell them out and wow the crowd than to play less than 50% full arenas.?

OR my ego would have to bite the bullet that favorite band was no longer "big enough" that they had to resort to play small venues with the likes of Godsmack and Supernova (who are scheduled to play roy wilkins). I wonder how many people the Myth night club holds, stank Queensryche played a show there, so did motley crue.  I just don't think GNR is down to the popular level of Godsmack, Queensryche, and All American Rejects.

2002- Minneapolis, MN
2006- Ames, IA
2006- Minneapolis, MN
2011- Minneapolis, MN
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Chicago, IL
2017- Minnea
markreed
Rocker

« Reply #66 on: September 28, 2006, 03:47:33 PM »

GNR haven't released an original song as a single in around 15 years. Neither have they released an album in 15 years. Nor have they done anything to raise their profile : no interviews, no TV appearances as a band, nothing. The nearest thing to promotion has been Axl asking where people are on the VMA's and playing some live shows, which, if you don't know the band, or haven't lived on the messageboards, are relatively low key.

If they did the whole media blitz thing they could be huge again. But since they're not... only the hardcore will be paying that much attention.

"the optimist believes we live in the best of all possible worlds ; the pessimist fears this is true"
guns97
Banned
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #67 on: September 28, 2006, 04:55:48 PM »

Look, the reason they cannot sell out legit venues all over the place is because people are in fact realizing that Guns truly doesn?t exist anymore.  The more Axl comes out of his shell, the more people start saying ?Where?s Slash?? Axl is simply using the moniker to draw people to the shows when in fact he's just 1/5 of what made everyone like this band so much.  It?s like Ford bringing back the T-bird a couple years ago...yes it had the T-bird name but lacked in so many ways what the original t-bird was all about and people took a crap on it - now its not in production anymore.

Chinese Democracy will be a moderate success at best, and let's be honest these songs we've heard so far are a notch below AFD and UYI.  The hardcore guys really want these songs to be great, but they aren?t.  Axl carrying this band as "GNR" is just not working and in fact is an insult to what this band once was.  The brand name attracts people to the shows, but the average new tunes and relative no-names backing him up will do little to bolster the name GNR in its present-day form.   It is simply of the result of the massive success they had and what EVERYONE came to know them as.   Again I know you hardcore guys don?t want to think that, but be realistic ? this is an inferior interpretation of a once great band.  Regaining the strong dual identity of this band is the only thing that would make GNR work again as a dominator of the rock world.  Axl and Slash, Slash and Axl. 

I mean for Christ?s sake they had creative differences it wasn?t like Slash banged Axl?s girlfriend or something or tried to kill her.  Put aside the differences and get back to making good music.  If the Stones and Aerosmith could do it, Guns certainly can. 

With that said, I am in fact going to see them in Worcester because have always liked the way Axl entertains the crowd and his voice is sort of back to 91-93 levels.  But for me there will always be something missing when I hear Nighttrain or Mr. Brownstone and it?s not Slash hammering his Gibson LP axe.  Its like a cover band with the original singer.

GUNS N ROSES is and will always be the rock band that ruled the world from 1987-1993?fin
Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« Reply #68 on: September 28, 2006, 04:56:48 PM »

1-LA Coliseum wasn't sold out for the GNR/Metallica tour.
2-The LA Forum does not hold anywhere near 25,000
3-Yes, GNR sold out arenas on the UYI tour but they couldn't do Stadiums on their own, except one off shows like Miami on New Years Eve.
4-Anyone who actually wants Axl to play Stadiums has obviously never gone to a stadium show and seen how bad they really are for concerts.

Alright I just checked. The Forum for concerts seats 18,000. I saw GNR at the Rose Bowl and at the Coliseum too. Having that many people all chanting Guns N Roses and going nuts all rocking out with GNR was pretty awesome man. Yea it isnt as intimate and I am not saying I prefer it. But this was GNR, and they were larger then life. They were the next generation Stones, and being in these arena's became synonymous. It was great seeing them at the Hard Rock, and it will be great seeing them at the amphitheater. But having experienced GNR at the large arena's its a little strange seeing them in a small venue. The Rose Bowl/Forum/Coliseum were NOT bad for GNR concerts. At all. I went deaf at all 3 of those in a good way. My ears weren't even ringing after the Hard Rock. Rock concerts like the ones GNR did were fun. Massive tailgate parties, tons of weed smoking and beer just flowed like crazy. It was obnoxious and out of control. Not at all what these are or can be. But they are fucking awesome in their own ways.

JuicySwoos
VIP

Thatwhy

« Reply #69 on: September 28, 2006, 05:01:18 PM »

Look, the reason they cannot sell out legit venues all over the place is because people are in fact realizing that Guns truly doesn?t exist anymore.? The more Axl comes out of his shell, the more people start saying ?Where?s Slash?? Axl is simply using the moniker to draw people to the shows when in fact he's just 1/5 of what made everyone like this band so much.? It?s like Ford bringing back the T-bird a couple years ago...yes it had the T-bird name but lacked in so many ways what the original t-bird was all about and people took a crap on it - now its not in production anymore.

Chinese Democracy will be a moderate success at best, and let's be honest these songs we've heard so far are a notch below AFD and UYI.? The hardcore guys really want these songs to be great, but they aren?t.? Axl carrying this band as "GNR" is just not working and in fact is an insult to what this band once was.? The brand name attracts people to the shows, but the average new tunes and relative no-names backing him up will do little to bolster the name GNR in its present-day form.? ?It is simply of the result of the massive success they had and what EVERYONE came to know them as.? ?Again I know you hardcore guys don?t want to think that, but be realistic ? this is an inferior interpretation of a once great band.? Regaining the strong dual identity of this band is the only thing that would make GNR work again as a dominator of the rock world.? Axl and Slash, Slash and Axl.?

I mean for Christ?s sake they had creative differences it wasn?t like Slash banged Axl?s girlfriend or something or tried to kill her.? Put aside the differences and get back to making good music.? If the Stones and Aerosmith could do it, Guns certainly can.?

With that said, I am in fact going to see them in Worcester because have always liked the way Axl entertains the crowd and his voice is sort of back to 91-93 levels.? But for me there will always be something missing when I hear Nighttrain or Mr. Brownstone and it?s not Slash hammering his Gibson LP axe.? Its like a cover band with the original singer.

GUNS N ROSES is and will always be the rock band that ruled the world from 1987-1993?fin

Boy, maybe they should start touring with Poison then.

2002- Minneapolis, MN
2006- Ames, IA
2006- Minneapolis, MN
2011- Minneapolis, MN
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Chicago, IL
2017- Minnea
Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« Reply #70 on: September 28, 2006, 05:29:00 PM »

Look, the reason they cannot sell out legit venues all over the place is because people are in fact realizing that Guns truly doesn?t exist anymore.? The more Axl comes out of his shell, the more people start saying ?Where?s Slash?? Axl is simply using the moniker to draw people to the shows when in fact he's just 1/5 of what made everyone like this band so much.? It?s like Ford bringing back the T-bird a couple years ago...yes it had the T-bird name but lacked in so many ways what the original t-bird was all about and people took a crap on it - now its not in production anymore.

Chinese Democracy will be a moderate success at best, and let's be honest these songs we've heard so far are a notch below AFD and UYI.? The hardcore guys really want these songs to be great, but they aren?t.? Axl carrying this band as "GNR" is just not working and in fact is an insult to what this band once was.? The brand name attracts people to the shows, but the average new tunes and relative no-names backing him up will do little to bolster the name GNR in its present-day form.? ?It is simply of the result of the massive success they had and what EVERYONE came to know them as.? ?Again I know you hardcore guys don?t want to think that, but be realistic ? this is an inferior interpretation of a once great band.? Regaining the strong dual identity of this band is the only thing that would make GNR work again as a dominator of the rock world.? Axl and Slash, Slash and Axl.?

I mean for Christ?s sake they had creative differences it wasn?t like Slash banged Axl?s girlfriend or something or tried to kill her.? Put aside the differences and get back to making good music.? If the Stones and Aerosmith could do it, Guns certainly can.?

With that said, I am in fact going to see them in Worcester because have always liked the way Axl entertains the crowd and his voice is sort of back to 91-93 levels.? But for me there will always be something missing when I hear Nighttrain or Mr. Brownstone and it?s not Slash hammering his Gibson LP axe.? Its like a cover band with the original singer.

Dude are you on crack? You act like your opinion is fact, and seem to be completely oblivious to where you are. If you really think the new songs aren't that special, then you will not lilke the new album. So I will ask you again. Why are you here? Do you think the majority in here agree with you? Dude, does it pain you to know that I don't want the old group back. That I think the new songs can take the Pepsi challenge with the old. That the new Guns N Roses fit today better then the old could. You think Im alone in this? If you dont like Axl, not just yesterdays Axl, then you better prepare for a beating on this board.

When you are talking about art, there is no compromise. But that is exactly what you are saying Axl should do with his vision of where he wants his music to go when you say they should put away their differences. If Axl is creating the songs on the level we are only getting a taste of in the demos, then Axl should keep on keeping on because I like where GNR's music is going. I think its cooler to get into Zepplin territory then churning out the same thing they have done already. Maybe you need to free your mind a little.

If you don't like it then find yourself a new place. There are very hardcore Axl fans here. So if you keep posting crap like this or that he had plastic surgery, then you are just being a dick for assholes sake.

JuicySwoos
VIP

Thatwhy

« Reply #71 on: September 28, 2006, 05:56:39 PM »

Axl,

Please come to minnesoooooooooooooooota!!!

2002- Minneapolis, MN
2006- Ames, IA
2006- Minneapolis, MN
2011- Minneapolis, MN
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Chicago, IL
2017- Minnea
guns97
Banned
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #72 on: September 28, 2006, 06:02:17 PM »

I thought this was a general GNR forum - not a post-1994 GNR forum and that is why I am here. ?I didn't register to be bashed for giving my opinion. ?I am merely expressing my extreme dissapointment in the new "GNR". ?The new group is an absolute embarassment - there I said it. ?A bunch of hack no names being Axl's yes men. ?He himself who was too much of a dick to work things out with Slash and Co. ?How many stories have we heard of Axl having his own dressing room, leaving in the middle of sets, going off on other band members for no reason? ?He brought this on himself, and this is what he gets - barely sold out shows in hillbilly towns like Estero, FL. ? He should have buried the hatchet, got back with the real band and moved forward with their music...I GUARANTEE it would have been much better had Izzy been writing some of the tracks and Slash creating some of the guitar riffs. ?Axl alone may be a good lyricist, but he can't create a song all by himself.

I go to these shows only because I want to hear him belt out AFD and UYI tunes...as do 95% of the other fans at these shows which is why I'm ecstatic that the setlist is 90% old stuff. ?I never got to seem them live in their prime and now is my chance. ?Perhaps I'd be more receptive if the new songs were GOOD - but they are not and as I said its partially a result of not having Izzy and Slash. ?It is a pipe dream to think GNR will come anywhere near what they were in the early 90's.

Its sad, but I think Axl could join up with Wham! and you guys would think its awesome...too bad, but you need to get a grip on reality and put things into perspective - this band will never fill the void left by GNR when they disappeared in '94. ?He made the wrong move and now he's paying for it. ?He's touring on name and reputation alone. ?Wait until CD comes out, and tons of people will say "WTF is this?" ?
JuicySwoos
VIP

Thatwhy

« Reply #73 on: September 28, 2006, 06:17:09 PM »

I thought this was a general GNR forum - not a post-1994 GNR forum and that is why I am here. ?I didn't register to be bashed for giving my opinion. ?I am merely expressing my extreme dissapointment in the new "GNR". ?The new group is an absolute embarassment - there I said it. ?A bunch of hack no names being Axl's yes men. ?He himself who was too much of a dick to work things out with Slash and Co. ?How many stories have we heard of Axl having his own dressing room, leaving in the middle of sets, going off on other band members for no reason? ?He brought this on himself, and this is what he gets - barely sold out shows in hillbilly towns like Estero, FL. ? He should have buried the hatchet, got back with the real band and moved forward with their music...I GUARANTEE it would have been much better had Izzy been writing some of the tracks and Slash creating some of the guitar riffs. ?Axl alone may be a good lyricist, but he can't create a song all by himself.

I go to these shows only because I want to hear him belt out AFD and UYI tunes...as do 95% of the other fans at these shows which is why I'm ecstatic that the setlist is 90% old stuff. ?I never got to seem them live in their prime and now is my chance. ?Perhaps I'd be more receptive if the new songs were GOOD - but they are not and as I said its partially a result of not having Izzy and Slash. ?It is a pipe dream to think GNR will come anywhere near what they were in the early 90's.

Its sad, but I think Axl could join up with Wham! and you guys would think its awesome...too bad, but you need to get a grip on reality and put things into perspective - this band will never fill the void left by GNR when they disappeared in '94. ?He made the wrong move and now he's paying for it. ?He's touring on name and reputation alone. ?Wait until CD comes out, and tons of people will say "WTF is this?" ?

So you're the guy who throws shit at the stage.

2002- Minneapolis, MN
2006- Ames, IA
2006- Minneapolis, MN
2011- Minneapolis, MN
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Chicago, IL
2017- Minnea
holtzmn73
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #74 on: September 28, 2006, 06:30:30 PM »

Axl,

I'd be really suprised if a Twin Cities date is not in there, I hope this time its a GA floor, all 4 times I've seen them in the Twin Cities they have had setas on the floor, its just not as much fun. Axl should play the Xcel, half arena set up, then hit Mankato Civic Center or the DECC in Duluth as well, hey I can dream.
JuicySwoos
VIP

Thatwhy

« Reply #75 on: September 28, 2006, 06:37:34 PM »

Axl,

I'd be really suprised if a Twin Cities date is not in there, I hope this time its a GA floor, all 4 times I've seen them in the Twin Cities they have had setas on the floor, its just not as much fun. Axl should play the Xcel, half arena set up, then hit Mankato Civic Center or the DECC in Duluth as well, hey I can dream.

I'd love a half house at the Xcel, not a bad seat in the place. I know most people like the GA floor, but because I fancy myself too old for rock concert floor tomfoolery, I prefer the reserved seating. Especially since I can show up for the show at 10-10:30 and have my seat waiting for me, and I don't have to suffer 3-4 hours of jockeying for a good spot, plus have to listen to people bitch that "they are late". It looks like most of the shows are GA, so you'll be in luck if they do come to Minneapolis. As for me, I will be 1st row lower level next to the stage.

2002- Minneapolis, MN
2006- Ames, IA
2006- Minneapolis, MN
2011- Minneapolis, MN
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Chicago, IL
2017- Minnea
PJ
black metal poser dude
VIP

And I'm crazier!

« Reply #76 on: September 28, 2006, 07:03:07 PM »

go watch you old dvds..
and dont posts opinions about an upcoming GNR tour

"I'm still impressed by my ability to put a shine on a pile of bullshit"
                                        SLASH
http://www.gnrsource.com
JDA
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #77 on: September 28, 2006, 07:07:28 PM »

I love that they are playing the small venues.  Right now it is the smart thing for them to do.  It is not 93' and they are not the biggest band in the world right now.  Not to say that they couldn't be again but they need to put out a couple great albums before they are selling out the big stadiums again.  Nobody wants to see a half full arena.  I love seeing concerts in 6000 seat venues.  They are always the best ones and there usually is not a bad seat in the house. 
Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« Reply #78 on: September 28, 2006, 07:12:45 PM »

You know what dude. You are starting off your stay here spamming. You are hating on things the majority of us love. If you started a thread with your attitude it would be locked and moved into the Dead Horse board or something. You have had at least 10 years to get over the inevitable. The only reason we are all here is because we love the music, Axl, GNR, and cant wait for Chinese Democracy to be released. So you are being a real downer resurrecting shit we have all discussed a ridiculous amount of times before. We are all just really excited about the music now. Maybe you should too. But if you can't then you need to stop trying to bring people down, and redirect your energy to more positive things you little negative nancy you.

Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« Reply #79 on: September 28, 2006, 07:16:11 PM »

I love that they are playing the small venues.? Right now it is the smart thing for them to do.? It is not 93' and they are not the biggest band in the world right now.? Not to say that they couldn't be again but they need to put out a couple great albums before they are selling out the big stadiums again.? Nobody wants to see a half full arena.? I love seeing concerts in 6000 seat venues.? They are always the best ones and there usually is not a bad seat in the house.?

I also think the fact that the floor and orchestra sections of a 6,000 seater selling out without any promotion by the time I was even made aware of the tickets going on sale, is very telling about the excitement out there for GNR. And I along with others who were blindsided, have the advantage of getting the heads up by this place, and still couldnt get tickets down there.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: