Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 12:20:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227798 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Your view...... on punk rock
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Your view...... on punk rock  (Read 7842 times)
Gunna_girl01
Rocker

ROCK AND ROLL A WAY OF LIFE

« on: October 04, 2006, 11:28:16 PM »

Whats your view on punk rock, do you like or dislike? tolerate or dispise?

personally, simple plan and greenday and all the others do nothing for me....

and i can not stand to listen to fucking LINKIN PARK...
the reason why im asking for your point of view is to see weather or not i am alone in my anti punk battle.

LIVE IT LOVE IT CHERISH IT
FOR ROCK AND ROLL
IS MY LIFE
EccoTides
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2006, 11:37:15 PM »

Punk's been dead for a couple of decades, and this new stuff is just the nail in the coffin.
BLS-Pride
Jack Daniel's drinkin'
Banned
Legend

Roses of Velvet Mother Fuckers.

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2006, 11:37:58 PM »

Uhh.. Linkin Park is Nu Metal not punk. Punk died years ago. Ramones and The Sex Pistols are two bands to check out if you want to listen to punk.

www.rosesofvelvet.com
[BLS-Pride] 10:16 pm: ron - lemmy is god.. agreed?
[Bumblefoot] 10:16 pm: Lemmy created God.
Bono
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2006, 11:52:21 PM »

Simple Plan adn Kinkin park are punk? I don't think. Greenday is fine but more pop/punk. Punk like Bouncing Souls, Against Me, NOFX, Lagwagon, Pennywise, SNFU, etc don't do much for me. Thos eare kinda the new generation of punk and I won't even try to talk about old punk cause I'd look dumb. All I know of that remotely sound punk by todays standards that I can think of are The Ramones and Sex Pistols. the Clash was punk? I guess so but they don't soudn it to me. To be honest the only real punk band I've ever liked is Soul Asylum. YES they were a punk rock band way back in the early 80's and I really dug some of their stuff. I don't mind Face to Face. ha! I'm just rambling now. rofl
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2006, 11:56:09 PM »

Uhh.. Linkin Park is mallcore not punk. Punk died years ago. Ramones and The Sex Pistols are two bands to check out if you want to listen to punk.

Fixed it for you. Punk is mostly useless, but Motorhead does a good job of making punky metal, The Exploited are a fun band, crossover like DRI is good, and so is some grindcore, especially the more metallic stuff. But, like most genres, it's mostly worthless.
BLS-Pride
Jack Daniel's drinkin'
Banned
Legend

Roses of Velvet Mother Fuckers.

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2006, 12:16:59 AM »

Uhh.. Linkin Park is mallcore not punk. Punk died years ago. Ramones and The Sex Pistols are two bands to check out if you want to listen to punk.

Fixed it for you. Punk is mostly useless, but Motorhead does a good job of making punky metal, The Exploited are a fun band, crossover like DRI is good, and so is some grindcore, especially the more metallic stuff. But, like most genres, it's mostly worthless.

Ah yeah thanks.. I didn't know if mallcore would make people say WTF around here.

www.rosesofvelvet.com
[BLS-Pride] 10:16 pm: ron - lemmy is god.. agreed?
[Bumblefoot] 10:16 pm: Lemmy created God.
Gunner80
ohh..My somber smile
Legend

A delivery boy from the past

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2006, 02:11:29 AM »

You like death metal, enough said.

The Rolling Stones, greatest Rock N' Roll band ever, period!
Rocksteady
Rocker

Fist in the air in the land of hipocrisy

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2006, 02:55:08 AM »

Is Offspring considered punk? "Smash" and "Ixnay on the Hombre" are great albums imo.

This   is   Democracy!!!
ClintroN
The board won't let me use a longer name than this!
Legend

Gimme some fuckin' Democracy

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2006, 07:56:17 AM »

punk is an attitude!!

GO WATCH "THE FILTH AND THE FURY".........A SEX PISTOLS DOCU!!!

enough said!!

www.myspace.com/killmondays

GNR - Brizvegas - AUSTRALIA
June -19th 
         -20th, 2007
pasnow
VIP

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2006, 09:29:46 AM »

Is Offspring considered punk? "Smash" and "Ixnay on the Hombre" are great albums imo.

It's Pop/punk, I like some of their songs, but definitely not punk!? Essentially after the 70's punk, no punk band hit it big, once they do, they're no longer "punk". Don't get me wrong, some have been good bands, talented, Green Day's American Idiot is a classic album, but I can't call it punk anymore.

A great 80's band is The Descendants, sounds like Offspring/Blink 182. Awesome singer/lyrics.? Also Superchunk were around in the 90's. Who else, Dead Kennedy's, Minor Threat, Dag Nasty. Check 'em out.

As for "Punk is an attitude",? Billie Joe Armstrong had a good quote about that I read one time, a reporter asked him "What is punk?" He thought, and responded "You see that trash can over there, if I went over and kicked it over, that's punk." So they reporter responds "So if I kick that trash can over, I'd be punk?" And Billie Joe replied "No. You'd be following a trend." ok
Captain P?l
Manneken Pis
Legend

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2006, 10:57:37 AM »

i love green day.. nad offspring was my fav. band when i was young....
but i wouldnt put neither of them in a catagory.... hate doing that to music.

anyway... i wouldnt call blink 182 punk if green day is called punk, cuz neither sounds the same... Blink plain out suck... (well, Travis Barker is an AMAZING drummer though)

Cant Get Enough Of That Wonderfull Duff
Walapino
VIP

Double Talkin Jive Motherfucker!

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2006, 01:12:33 PM »

If you want punk go listen to Iggy Pop and the Stooges, Ramones, Sex Pistols, Misfits and early Clash.  peace
Bill 213
Legend

The buck stops here!

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2006, 06:43:38 PM »

I like old punk music don't get me wrong, but I really really hated the scene.  It was nothing more than a bunch of posers dressing up in leather and spikes and acting like they didn't give a shit about anything.  Those douchebags are attorneys and doctors now.  The Sex Pistols and the Ramones are probably two of the most poser bands you can find.  Sure they had some kickass tunes which is something the new era of punk bands can't say......but they were nothing more than a fashion statement.  Fuck Sid Vicious couldn't even play his bass.  Sometimes they'd turn his bass way down during performances and his parts were actually recorded by Steve Jones on the Bullocks album.  I love Iggy Pop, but honestly I wouldn't consider his Stooges albums primarily punk....I think they deserve a little more credit than that.  I always loved the Misfits too, but that was also put on by stage makeup and b-movie song titles to garner attention. 

True punk to me would be GG Allin.  That guy seriously didn't give a fuck.  That's the pinnacle of anti-establishment when you can shit in your hand and fling it at a dude, then punch same dude in the face while singing a song that isn't exactly a chartopping hit....yet still garnering a following of people faithful (or stupid) enough to show up to the concert and get molested, beaten or worse.  Rock on GG.

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Robman?
Legend

Catcher In The Rye

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2006, 07:43:19 PM »

I personally hate the fact that people who can't play their instruments are seen as gods. Kurt Cobain killed rock, he brought in the can't play your instrument, can't sing style of music that has plauged the airwaves since 1991. The last 15 years of rock has sucked. Hopefully GNR and other good bands will bring about a rock rennaisance if you will, rock should pick up again.
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2006, 01:09:18 AM »

Well, rock hasn't been very technical since the late 70's, actually. That's when the skilled musicians graduated to heavy metal.  ok Rock hasn't been great since the early 80's, except for a handful of good bands.
Six Strings
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2006, 04:47:41 AM »

Greenday - more or less ok, Sex Pistols, The Ramones and some Misfits are classic. This is it.

"...It don't really matter..."
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2006, 09:46:26 AM »

punk rock? thats the watered down pussy pop version of punk right? came about in the 90s in the likes of green day and blink 182???

punk on its own however is great. pistols, clash n all that jazz.

some 80s post punk is decent too.

very similar to thrash metal.

html sucks
GNR_Green
VIP

Green Army

« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2006, 02:17:57 PM »

The Exploited are a fun band
The Exploited are about the only proper punk band I'm into.  Beat The Bastards borders on metal anyway and kicks serious ass.

"kick a mod, kick a mod, kick him in the head
 oh what fun it is to kick, a mod until he's dead, oi!"

I'm reluctant to call the Pistols punk because they were thrown together by an agent and probably didn't have much creative input into their music.  They're still vastly more credible than bands like Sum 41 though!!  I like The Clash, but they didn't go around kicking ass like I thought punk bands were supposed to??!

Overall I dislike punk in general because of the total lack of difficulty in playing 3 chords repeatedly.  I can put up with it like it more than many other types of 'music' around these days but it's not too clever.  I like at least a little bit of creativity/complexity.

"Said if they had someone to buy it, Said I'm sure they'd sell my soul"
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2006, 04:33:36 PM »

haha i thought this was about the sex pistols, the clash etc etc

Rancid is as punk as music has gotten in a long time...maybe you can stretch it and say american idiot cuz that's a pretty political album.

but as far as blink and good charlotte and that shit...it sucks

journey
Moondancer
Legend

« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2006, 05:36:07 PM »

I like it to an extent.  Personally, I have to be in a aggressive mood to listen to it.

Propagandhi is cool.

And the legends -  Sex Pistols and The Ramones.
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: