Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:02:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227784 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  "Thhheeeeeee Yankees Lose! Theeeeeee Yankees lose!
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Thhheeeeeee Yankees Lose! Theeeeeee Yankees lose!  (Read 21865 times)
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2006, 07:21:24 PM »

In hated rivalry in all sports, most fans cheer for the oppiste teams demise . I hate the fucking yawks and thats a product of spending my very early childhood at Fenway Park and growing up in the Boston area, it sort of comes with the territory. And i've seen quite the oppisite from fans in New York, my cousins in paticular who are ravid yawks fans and also celebrate the Sox demise. Due to being in a military family im far from it now but have been back several times. I now reside in Texas where I cant find a single Cowboy fan that doesnt hate the redskins and will laugh at redskin fans even if dallas has a shitty year. When you hate a team, you hate a team. Its great to see them lose. And its so fucking sweet the Yawkees lost! Though I see your point, that you dont do it, accept the fact that some fans do.? smoking

Oh, I accept it...it just doesn't make sense to me.? But I do admit I laugh at fans that do it.? Because in doing it you've just said "Your team sucks but mine sucks more"...and don't even know it.

Edit: I was typing quickly last night and should have been a bit more specific.  I'm not really laughing at the fans, really...I'm laughing at the sentiment they're espousing.  Just wanted to make that clear.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2006, 07:56:12 AM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
Sober_times
VIP

The Proud Winner of a Wooden Spoon.

« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2006, 07:36:58 PM »

Not at all is it saying the Yawkees had a shitty year, The Yawks had a good year, ya I've accepted it. All its doing is celebrating that the Yawkees lost! Ya the Red Sox had a shitty year, ya we've accepted that we have alot of work to do in the off-season. But it still does not stop the celebration of the Yawkees losing. Its dissappointing when the sox have a bad year, it sux. And it happens, alot. But that being said when you have a team you hate its great to seem them not finish out on top of the world. smoking

CM Punk is the Best in the World!

I dig crazy chicks like AJ!

HBK is the greatest wrestler of all time!

I miss Edge!

Thats it, thats all I have to say.

P.S. Cena Sucks!
sandman
Legend

« Reply #42 on: October 19, 2006, 09:01:36 AM »

In hated rivalry in all sports, most fans cheer for the oppiste teams demise . I hate the fucking yawks and thats a product of spending my very early childhood at Fenway Park and growing up in the Boston area, it sort of comes with the territory. And i've seen quite the oppisite from fans in New York, my cousins in paticular who are ravid yawks fans and also celebrate the Sox demise. Due to being in a military family im far from it now but have been back several times. I now reside in Texas where I cant find a single Cowboy fan that doesnt hate the redskins and will laugh at redskin fans even if dallas has a shitty year. When you hate a team, you hate a team. Its great to see them lose. And its so fucking sweet the Yawkees lost! Though I see your point, that you dont do it, accept the fact that some fans do.? smoking

Oh, I accept it...it just doesn't make sense to me.? But I do admit I laugh at fans that do it.? Because in doing it you've just said "Your team sucks but mine sucks more"...and don't even know it.

Edit: I was typing quickly last night and should have been a bit more specific.? I'm not really laughing at the fans, really...I'm laughing at the sentiment they're espousing.? Just wanted to make that clear.

ok, that was the point i was making. cause obviously you were trying to insult boston fans by saying you "pity" them. and my point was just that it is normal and VERY common.

two other things....in your scenario about eagles fans getting laughed at by cowboy fans for a playoff loss when the cowboys are 3-13. you better fuckin believe they will!!! especially when the eagles were at home and favored to win (as in 2003 and 2004). as a philly sports fan, i've suffered much torment.  hihi

which leads me to my second point....it's NOT about saying "your team sucks". you've made that reference a number of times. obviously the yanks are a pretty good team.

but sports are all about championships. so there's one winner, and then there's everyone else.

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #43 on: October 19, 2006, 09:14:46 AM »

ok, that was the point i was making. cause obviously you were trying to insult boston fans by saying you "pity" them. and my point was just that it is normal and VERY common.

two other things....in your scenario about eagles fans getting laughed at by cowboy fans for a playoff loss when the cowboys are 3-13. you better fuckin believe they will!!! especially when the eagles were at home and favored to win (as in 2003 and 2004). as a philly sports fan, i've suffered much torment.? hihi

which leads me to my second point....it's NOT about saying "your team sucks". you've made that reference a number of times. obviously the yanks are a pretty good team.

but sports are all about championships. so there's one winner, and then there's everyone else.

Just a couple of comments:? I wasn't trying to insult Boston fans who do this kind of thing, at all, by saying I pity them.? I was simply telling you how I feel.? I do feel pity for them if that's the best way for them to get their "rah rah's".  I, quite literally, feel sorry for them.

The rest I've addressed pretty much ad nauseum.? You might not THINK it's saying "your team sucks" but that's what it's doing...and when you're team is worse off......well, I think I've laid out the logical progression on that one.

And sports are all about championships?? Wow.....I'm not even going to open that can of worms....I know it's a popular perception in today's fandom but....you know what, I'm just gonna leave that one alone.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2006, 09:22:36 AM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
sandman
Legend

« Reply #44 on: October 19, 2006, 09:37:00 AM »

two other things....in your scenario about eagles fans getting laughed at by cowboy fans for a playoff loss when the cowboys are 3-13. you better fuckin believe they will!!! especially when the eagles were at home and favored to win (as in 2003 and 2004). as a philly sports fan, i've suffered much torment.? hihi

Just a couple of comments:? I wasn't trying to insult Boston fans who do this kind of thing, at all, by saying I pity them.? I was simply telling you how I feel.? I do feel pity for them if that's the best way for them to get their "rah rah's".

The rest I've addressed pretty much ad nauseum.? You might not THINK it's saying "your team sucks" but that's what it's doing...and when you're team is worse off......well, I think I've laid out the logical progression on that one.

And sports are all about championships?? Wow.....I'm not even going to open that can of worms....I know it's a popular perception in today's fandom but....you know what, I'm just gonna leave that one alone.

so you feel pity for ALL fans (including yanks fans).

you obviously don't understand bragging rights and ribbing your friends. i know what i'm saying when i mock friends' teams.

You can disagree that sports are all about championships - I admit that point is VERY arguable. But in light of bragging rights and laughing at your friends (again, which you don?t partake in and don?t understand), it truly is all about championships.

And I know many of the greatest athletes of our day would agree with this point. Just ask Dan Marino ? he?d trade all the ?good? dolphin years (and his stats) for one GREAT dolphin year which included a SB title. He?s the best QB to ever play the game, yet he?s known more for what he did not accomplish. 

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #45 on: October 19, 2006, 10:42:14 AM »

so you feel pity for ALL fans (including yanks fans).

you obviously don't understand bragging rights and ribbing your friends. i know what i'm saying when i mock friends' teams.

You can disagree that sports are all about championships - I admit that point is VERY arguable. But in light of bragging rights and laughing at your friends (again, which you don?t partake in and don?t understand), it truly is all about championships.

And I know many of the greatest athletes of our day would agree with this point. Just ask Dan Marino ? he?d trade all the ?good? dolphin years (and his stats) for one GREAT dolphin year which included a SB title. He?s the best QB to ever play the game, yet he?s known more for what he did not accomplish.?

I feel pity for all fans who get their "rah rahs" out of bagging on a team that has done much better than their team, yes.? Especially when that teams success or failure, at this point, has nothing to do with the sucess of failure of your own team.? As I've said, it's pointless.? I don't see it in my day to day interactions with MOST fans, but when I do see it MUCH more with 2 particular teams fans (in baseball)...the Red Sox fans (with the Yanks) and the Cubs fans (with the White Sox, of all teams).? Though it bears noting that the OP was neither.

It's not that I don't "understand bragging rights and ribbing on my friends".? I do.? And I engage in in when, to my mind, it's fun/useful/interesting to do it.? The scenario we're discussing here, to me, in none of those.? In the scenario we're discussing, actually, you're pretty much, unknowingly, ripping on yourself.

You know what you THINK you're saying.? That's my point.? The message you're actually conveying is very different than the point you're trying to make.? That's why I tend to laugh (and wince, just a little bit).?

Again, I'm not gonna get into the why's, hows, and whatfors around sport being all about championships.? ?It's even more of a hotbutton issue and would take a lot more time to argue/discuss as well as the issue deserves.? I'm just not up for it.? Suffice to say, my viewpoint differs with much of fandom on this one.? It's more of a sports purist view....
« Last Edit: October 19, 2006, 10:57:20 AM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
Communist China
Banned
VIP

All the ladies are welcome to my jungle!

« Reply #46 on: October 19, 2006, 02:33:25 PM »

The problem with the Yankees is that their fans and management are arrogant beyond belief. They let admitted roiders continue to shoot up on their team (Giambi) and have an idea of being "superior" to the rest of the league. After they won the first game of the ALDS every Yankee fan in the world gave themselves the World Series Championship. They acted like that was all they had to do with such arrogance that I'm surprised that everyone wasn't rooting for the Tigers.

that makes you a nut swinger. Deal with it.? ok
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #47 on: October 19, 2006, 02:43:49 PM »

The problem with the Yankees is that their fans and management are arrogant beyond belief. They let admitted roiders continue to shoot up on their team (Giambi) and have an idea of being "superior" to the rest of the league. After they won the first game of the ALDS every Yankee fan in the world gave themselves the World Series Championship. They acted like that was all they had to do with such arrogance that I'm surprised that everyone wasn't rooting for the Tigers.

Arrogant, or confident?  I mean, most professional athletes have a certain swagger to them.....I think the issue is that those that dislike the Yankees project that dislike on the Yankees actions...

As for Giambi...the guy is not continuing to shoot up on their team.  He's not juicing, and, given his admission, he's a prime target for drug testing.

As for being superior to the rest of the league..well, they were this year, in the regular season...at least in THEIR league (the AL).

As far as every Yanks fan crowning them after game one of the ALDS...well, that's not true.  'Cause this one didn't, and last time I checked, I'm still on planet earth.

And the YANKEES didn't act arrogant after the win.  Just look at their comments about how it was only one game....

Together again,
sandman
Legend

« Reply #48 on: October 19, 2006, 03:39:26 PM »

the yankees had a great team this year. i'd put them in the top 3, maybe top 2 teams in the league. great, great team.

but they lost and i love it!! they got nothing to show for it.  rofl rofl rofl

sandman
Legend

« Reply #49 on: October 20, 2006, 09:00:27 AM »

very interesting baseball-related poll just conducted....

40% of fans said the yankees were the team they enjoy rooting against the most.  hihi

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061020/ap_on_sp_ba_ne/bbo_baseball_ap_poll_3

Half of baseball fans are rooting against Barry Bonds in his bid to break Hank Aaron's career home run record. That said, it's getting tough to find anyone rooting for the sport at all these days.

An AP-AOL Sports poll released Thursday shows that only one-third of Americans call themselves fans of professional baseball ? about the level of support for the last decade, but lower than 1990.

And they see another problem competing with steroids: stratospheric salaries.

Brandon Inge of the        World Series-bound        Detroit Tigers was surprised to hear that only 32 percent of Americans consider themselves fans.

"That sounds a little low to me," the third baseman said. "It's America's pastime."

So is rooting against Bonds, it appears. The poll showed 48 percent of fans want the San Francisco star to fall short of Aaron's mark; 33 percent would like Bonds to break it and another 16 percent said they didn't care.

Bonds has hit 734 homers and is closing in on Aaron's total of 755. Shadowed by steroid allegations and slowed by injuries, Bonds homered 26 times this season.

"It saddens me," said Bonds' agent, Jeff Borris. "I think true baseball fans who know and understand everything Barry has done to get to this point should be pulling for him.

"They should feel fortunate that they'll have the opportunity to see him break probably the most hallowed record in sports," he said.

Tigers pitcher Jamie Walker understood the public's view of Bonds.

"That sounds about right. People have their opinions. If they're singling out Barry Bonds, they could look at a lot of guys over the last 15 years. Nobody wants to see some old records get broken, but they didn't do steroid testing back then," he said.

Young adults, age 18 to 29, were more likely than those 40 and over to want Bonds to break the record. White fans rooted against Bonds more than minorities, and fans who think Major League Baseball is not doing enough about steroids were more likely to hope Bonds comes up short.

Alex Bast, a 24-year-old fan wearing a        St. Louis Cardinals jersey and Tigers hat at Busch Stadium during the NL championship series, wants Bonds to fall shy.

"I personally hope he doesn't break the record," he said. "I just think that there's kind of too much of a cloud of uncertainty about him and the steroid issue, that it would be good for baseball if he didn't break it to kind of keep that number sacred."

Back in the 1940s and 1950s, when Babe Ruth still held the single-season and career homer records, there was no doubt that baseball was the No. 1 sport in America. Those numbers have eroded, too.

According to the poll, more Americans 35 years and older than under 35 considered themselves baseball fans. Whites were more likely than minorities to put themselves in that category.

Yet overall, about two-thirds of Americans did not regard themselves as fans.

"There's so many sports on the menu now,"        New York Mets general manager Omar Minaya said. "You ask 10, 20, 30 years ago, it was a different menu. There's other sports out there now, so I can fully understand. People like doing other things.

"That being said, I still think baseball has never been more popular," he said. "And I say that because look at the attendance."

MLB games this season drew more than 75 million people for the first time.

"The interest is there, it's just I think there's so many other distractions and interests today for kids, for children," Cardinals general manager Walt Jocketty. "Kids probably don't have the same interest that we did when we were kids because there's more alternatives."

Many others found something else troubling ? salaries. Major league players made an average of nearly $3 million this season.

Among all Americans, 28 percent said salaries were the top problem in baseball, 21 percent said it was the high cost of attending games and 19 percent said it was players using steroids and performance-enhancing drugs.

That's a change from an AP-AOL Sports poll taken in April 2005, when 27 percent picked banned substances as baseball's No. 1 problem.

Among fans, salaries, the cost of attending games and steroids were in close competition as the top problem.

Those over 35 years old and whites were more likely than younger adults and minorities to say players made too money.

The survey found 58 percent of fans said they cared "a lot" whether players were using steroids and performance-enhancing drugs ? that's slightly lower than in AP-AOL Sports polls taken in April 2005 and April 2006.

Fans who follow baseball closely were more likely to care a lot. And 51 percent of fans overall say MLB isn't doing enough about banned drugs.

"I think that Major League Baseball should do more about steroid use, as far as making a statement," said Cardinals fan Steve Subick of Mount Olive, Ill. "Baseball should make a stand on steroid use, so they're making it look like they're trying harder to make a difference."

Inge, however, took issue with the fans' concern.

"They're misinformed because there is no steroid issue in baseball anymore," the Tigers player said.

About two-thirds of fans felt tougher penalties for banned substances did not affect the quality of play this season.

Among other findings:

? The  New York Yankees were the team that most fans rooted for, 14 percent, followed by the Atlanta Braves, 10 percent and  Boston Red Sox, 9 percent. The Yankees also were the team fans most liked to root against, 40 percent, with Boston way back at 7 percent.

? 79 percent of fans felt the quality of umpiring was good or excellent. Only 19 percent rated it fair or poor.

? 75 percent of fans said postseason games start at the right time, 19 percent said they were on too late. And while most fans, 73 percent, said they would stay up late to watch the World Series, only 38 percent of those with school-aged children said they'd let their children stay awake past their bedtimes.

The AP-AOL Sports poll of 2,002 adults, including 774 baseball fans, was conducted by telephone Oct. 10-12 and Oct. 16-18 by Ipsos. The poll has a margin of sampling error of plus or minus 2 percentage points for all adults, 3.5 percentage points for baseball fans.

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #50 on: October 20, 2006, 10:08:31 AM »

What surprises me more, I guess, is that they are also the most popular team....

Together again,
Cornell
Nice to you
Legend

« Reply #51 on: October 20, 2006, 03:16:06 PM »

What surprises me more, I guess, is that they are also the most popular team....

that's true, but people always like seeing the one at the top brought down.  Hell, look at all the USA bashing that goes on in every "political" topic in the jungle.  Roll Eyes  If something is said negative about any other country, the shit would hit the fan. 

I'm an American and a Yankee fan so I need thick skin.  yes

Why don't you just....
Communist China
Banned
VIP

All the ladies are welcome to my jungle!

« Reply #52 on: October 20, 2006, 04:30:53 PM »

that's true, but people always like seeing the one at the top brought down.? Hell, look at all the USA bashing that goes on in every "political" topic in the jungle.? Roll Eyes? If something is said negative about any other country, the shit would hit the fan.?

I'm an American and a Yankee fan so I need thick skin.? yes

You should donate some of that thick skin to A-Rod. hihi

that makes you a nut swinger. Deal with it.? ok
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: