Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 06:08:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227829 Posts in 43249 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Why didn't Steven Tyler lose his voice?
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Why didn't Steven Tyler lose his voice?  (Read 9363 times)
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2006, 07:17:11 PM »

Because death metal is MORE than just grunting, even if it's the most popular type of vocals, since it's not so hard to do. The first death metal band ever, Possessed, had more of a punkish vocalist, but it was the MUSIC that defined Possesssed as death metal, not the vocals.

The whole grunt thing really picked up in the early 90's, almost a decade after death metal was created. You can thank grindcore and Napalm Death for that, for good or ill.

Death metal lyrics are often about death, but not as much now, since that subject has gotten old to a lot of people. It was much more prevalent in the 80's and early 90's than it is now. The lyrics can be about anything, just as with any other musical genre. It's just that medical terminology sounds good grunted, that's all. Wink
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2006, 07:37:16 PM »

Because death metal is MORE than just grunting, even if it's the most popular type of vocals, since it's not so hard to do. The first death metal band ever, Possessed, had more of a punkish vocalist, but it was the MUSIC that defined Possesssed as death metal, not the vocals.

The whole grunt thing really picked up in the early 90's, almost a decade after death metal was created. You can thank grindcore and Napalm Death for that, for good or ill.

Death metal lyrics are often about death, but not as much now, since that subject has gotten old to a lot of people. It was much more prevalent in the 80's and early 90's than it is now. The lyrics can be about anything, just as with any other musical genre. It's just that medical terminology sounds good grunted, that's all. Wink

Well surely if these bands are much more now, why are they classed as death metal still?
image?

and whats melodic death metal? dokken except gone evil lmao?

html sucks
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2006, 07:47:12 PM »

Steven Tyler in my opinion is probably the greatest rock singer ever.

He is the only person I have ever seen that actually sang over Axl. 

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2006, 07:54:02 PM »

Well surely if these bands are much more now, why are they classed as death metal still?
image?

Sound. Death metal is very similar to thrash, but has less "machine gun" riffing and more rhythmic complexity. The drumming is very technical as well, and the vocals are usually harsh, but not always grunted.

and whats melodic death metal? dokken except gone evil lmao?

Try Skyfire, In Flames, At The Gates, Opeth, and Children of Bodom. You'll get a general idea of what it sounds like from these bands.

As for rock singers, Freddy Mercury is probably the best pure rock singer. But, since Judas Priest's albums Point of Entry and Turbo can be considered rock, rather than metal, Rob Halford can probably claim the title as well. Wink
gnr1967
Rocker

One person's morality is another person's nonsense

« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2006, 12:22:10 AM »

He is the only person I have ever seen that actually sang over Axl.?

Steven Tyler is definitely one of the best out there.  I also think Brian Johnson from AC/DC is pretty damn good as well. 
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2006, 07:11:57 AM »

He is the only person I have ever seen that actually sang over Axl. 

Steven Tyler is definitely one of the best out there.  I also think Brian Johnson from AC/DC is pretty damn good as well. 

ohh his voice got worn too fast...id prbz have to go with bon scott on the ac/dc front.  ok

html sucks
Bill 213
Legend

The buck stops here!

« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2006, 08:02:42 AM »

Haha Brian is like nails on a chalkboard.  I'm a huge Bon Scott-ac/dc fan, not so much the Brian Johnson stuff.  I think Freddie hands down gets the best vocalist ever award.  That guy could wail and then some.  I love Tyler and Axl, but Freddie has a charm with his voice that nails it.

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2006, 08:07:05 AM »

Haha Brian is like nails on a chalkboard.  I'm a huge Bon Scott-ac/dc fan, not so much the Brian Johnson stuff.  I think Freddie hands down gets the best vocalist ever award.  That guy could wail and then some.  I love Tyler and Axl, but Freddie has a charm with his voice that nails it.

problem with freddie is, the music he made on alot of albums was really rock music. only particular albums by queen are rock (more 70s era).

Whereas aerosmith and gnr have got that sleazy blues rock style which i just think is ace. Maybe its personal oppinion i dunno but thats how i feel bout it. Freddie was a good singer...thinking bout that though, would his voice have lasted as well as stevens and axls have?

html sucks
gnr1967
Rocker

One person's morality is another person's nonsense

« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2006, 09:04:08 PM »

That's definitely true ... GNR and Aeromsith have that sleaze-rock factor that makes them appealing.  Freddie was an awesome vocalist, but was a little too clean in comparison. 

Regarding Brian Johnson, I realize his voice has deteriorated some over the years - more than Steven Tyler's voice.  But I still love hearing some AC/DC classics with him on vocals.  Bon Scott was also a great singer - that band was fortunate to have had two great frontmen. 
Krispy Kreme
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2006, 12:13:02 AM »

It's mostly because he sounded terrible in the first place. Lemmy hasn't lost any of his voice, either. Wink

THIS COMMENT IS ABSURD.
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2006, 09:00:33 AM »

It's mostly because he sounded terrible in the first place. Lemmy hasn't lost any of his voice, either. Wink

THIS COMMENT IS ABSURD.

agreed lol. tylers voice is ace...and lemmys voice, to say its the same as it was in the 70s is madness

html sucks
Pinball Wizard
VIP

Hey, Apple!

« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2006, 07:00:37 PM »

The thing is that Steven had some good singing lessons in the late 90's, then he learned how to control his voice...is really THAT simple...

mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2006, 07:17:50 PM »

The thing is that Steven had some good singing lessons in the late 90's, then he learned how to control his voice...is really THAT simple...

his voice was fine before lol.

html sucks
Pinball Wizard
VIP

Hey, Apple!

« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2006, 07:38:35 PM »

Yeah, but now it's better! Grin

mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2006, 09:05:05 PM »

Yeah, but now it's better! Grin

ahh good, thought you were making a dig at the man that is known as steve tyler.

html sucks
Mama Kin
VIP

It's Just a Ride

« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2006, 03:56:17 AM »

Steven changed his voice, if you listen to the first record, especially, he used a voice he thought sounded more like a black man's and he didn't like his real voice. The only song he used his real voice for was Dream On.

Learn to swim, I'll see you down in Arizona Bay
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2006, 04:16:51 AM »

Tyler's prolly one of few to have a range much higher than Axl's.

Fuck 'Em All.
axlslasher
« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2006, 09:08:45 PM »

Because for some unknown reason I have to pay for some past crime by listening to his God awful voice. Sorry I just don't like Aerosmith. Tongue
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2006, 06:36:18 AM »

Because for some unknown reason I have to pay for some past crime by listening to his God awful voice. Sorry I just don't like Aerosmith. Tongue

you told us this in the other thread. and even if you dont like them, theres no way you can say his voice is "god aweful"

html sucks
axlslasher
« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2006, 06:17:46 PM »

whatever
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: