Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 09:50:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227818 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  NJ court stops short of gay marriage OK
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: NJ court stops short of gay marriage OK  (Read 32397 times)
The Dog
Legend

« on: October 25, 2006, 05:09:53 PM »

While I think this is good legislation...couldn't it have waited just TWO WEEKS!!!!!  Undecided

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061025/ap_on_re_us/gay_marriage_13

"You're the worst character ever Towelie."
Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2006, 01:22:01 PM »

Keep it simple. Send out a referendum to the people and have them vote yes or no on the issue. If the people want to allow gay marriage, let them decide, not Washington.

1̶2̶/̶1̶3̶/̶0̶2̶ - T̶a̶m̶p̶a̶,̶ ̶F̶L̶
10/31/06 - Jacksonville, FL
10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
misterID
"Enlightened"
Banned
Legend

I did not have sexual relations with that llama

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2006, 01:27:36 PM »

I think every American has the same right as everyone else. That doesn't need a vote.

I bet those gay couples belong to the Log Cabin group. Bastards! hihi

Kind of funny the same thing happend on the eve of an election two years ago and all of a sudden it sprouts up again... on the eve of an election.

GNR delusion disorder, there is help for you.
http://www.chopaway.com/evolution/forum.php
SLCPUNK
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2006, 01:38:57 PM »

Kind of funny the same thing happend on the eve of an election two years ago and all of a sudden it sprouts up again... on the eve of an election.

Imagine that..............
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2006, 01:44:35 PM »

Keep it simple. Send out a referendum to the people and have them vote yes or no on the issue. If the people want to allow gay marriage, let them decide, not Washington.

Yeah, just like we should have put a referendum on segregation.  Let the people decide if blacks have equal rights.  Roll Eyes
Surfrider
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2006, 03:41:15 PM »

Yeah, just like we should have put a referendum on segregation.? Let the people decide if blacks have equal rights.? Roll Eyes
That's a terrible analogy.  The two things are even remotely the same.
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2006, 05:09:15 PM »

Yeah, just like we should have put a referendum on segregation.  Let the people decide if blacks have equal rights.  Roll Eyes
That's a terrible analogy.  The two things are even remotely the same.

Not the same - similar.  And the analogy wasnt meant to directly compare the issues as much as it was to address the implication of that posters suggestion: let the majority decide the rights of minorities.  And in that respect, it is similar.   
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2006, 05:20:34 PM »

Berkely, you really believe we should have a vote to determine whether or not these people should have equal rights? ?

I worked with a great woman up to about a month ago who is a lesbian. ?She and her partner and twin boy and girl had to move out of Delaware back to NY state. ?Why? ?She was not allowed to adopt her own children (her partner is the birth mother). ?They are super-intelligent, devoted parents who are more committed to each other than most straight couples I know. ?Not that it matters but they've been together for more than 10 years. ?Now, because local courts in lower slower Delaware are anti-gay, she can't be recognized as a real parent. ?Very nice.

Now, let me tell you about the interviews! ?Embarrassed ?Get this, companies can tell you how they don't discriminate against race, religion, or sexual orientation...but they can then tell you without a threat of legal action, that they will not provide health benefits to same-sex partners or their children. ?It's 2006, and we're treating a segment of our population (which is and apparently has been about 10% of all folks throughout history) like they are 2nd class citizens. ? ?Embarrassed

Jersey's taking a step in the right direction. ?They have not legalized gay marriage. ?What's happened will open the door for the legislative branch to establish laws they see fit that will give same-sex couples the same rights as hetero couples. ?How in the hell will this affect the straight majority in this country negatively??? ?It won't! ?Do I have to say what I say in half my posts on this board? ?"This is just another reason why the rest of the world looks at the United States and just shakes its head. Huh? " ? ? ?peace

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
GeraldFord
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2006, 05:59:54 PM »

Yeah, just like we should have put a referendum on segregation.? Let the people decide if blacks have equal rights.? Roll Eyes
That's a terrible analogy.? The two things are even remotely the same.

They are exactly the same issues. Human rights issues shouldn't be left to tyranny of the majority. It's a good thing people couldn't vote on women's suffrage, the right for blacks to vote and the end of slavery.
Grouse
I'm a prick too, so I deserve a title!
Legend

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2006, 07:22:26 PM »

oh man I'm so glad I live in the Netherlands, we have none of this bullshit over here, everyone has the same rights...give me one good reason why gays shouldn't have the same rights as straight people?....
mainline
Banned
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2006, 07:51:29 PM »

That's a terrible analogy.? The two things are even remotely the same.

They are exactly the same issues. Human rights issues shouldn't be left to tyranny of the majority. It's a good thing people couldn't vote on women's suffrage, the right for blacks to vote and the end of slavery.

BAH!  You gutless liberals would have every decision be taken away from the people (ahem....democracy) and decided by a few people on a court.  Now THAT'S tyranny.

You're right though, it is a issue about "rights."  Inherent rights, specifically.  And when it comes to marriage, gays don't have any.
mainline
Banned
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2006, 07:53:39 PM »

oh man I'm so glad I live in the Netherlands, we have none of this bullshit over here, everyone has the same rights...give me one good reason why gays shouldn't have the same rights as straight people?....

Depends on what rights you're talking about.?

Marriage?? The relationship between two men or two women should not be recognized the same way (let alone equal) as the marriage between a man and a woman because it is inherently inferior.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2006, 07:55:41 PM by mainline » Logged
mainline
Banned
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2006, 07:54:42 PM »

It won't! ?Do I have to say what I say in half my posts on this board? ?"This is just another reason why the rest of the world looks at the United States and just shakes its head. Huh? " ? ? ?peace

Who gives a shit what the rest of the world thinks? 
Pinball Wizard
VIP

Hey, Apple!

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2006, 07:57:15 PM »

It won't!  Do I have to say what I say in half my posts on this board?  "This is just another reason why the rest of the world looks at the United States and just shakes its head.  Huh "      peace

Not the americans, that's for sure! hihi

mainline
Banned
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2006, 09:00:49 PM »

It won't!? Do I have to say what I say in half my posts on this board?? "This is just another reason why the rest of the world looks at the United States and just shakes its head.? Huh "? ? ? peace

Who gives a shit what the rest of the world thinks??

You're damn skippy.
The Dog
Legend

« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2006, 09:27:49 PM »

It won't!  Do I have to say what I say in half my posts on this board?  "This is just another reason why the rest of the world looks at the United States and just shakes its head.  Huh "      peace

Please, one bad apple shouldn't spoil the whole damn bunch right?  Don't judge us all by the rantings of a prejudiced, narrow minded individual.  ok

The Dog
Legend

« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2006, 09:29:59 PM »

Depends on what rights you're talking about. 

Marriage?  The relationship between two men or two women should not be recognized the same way (let alone equal) as the marriage between a man and a woman because it is inherently inferior.

inherently inferior eh?  How so?  can't wait to hear this one....

I don't understand why people are so afraid of letting same sex couples say they are married.  how in the world is that a "threat", as some people say, to their marriage?

mainline
Banned
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2006, 10:32:04 PM »

Please, one bad apple shouldn't spoil the whole damn bunch right?? Don't judge us all by the rantings of a prejudiced, narrow minded individual.? ok

You're right, don't take it from me.  Take it from the majority of Americans (i.e. most of the apple bunch) who are against gay marriage.
mainline
Banned
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2006, 10:41:56 PM »

inherently inferior eh?? How so?? can't wait to hear this one....

I can't believe I have to answer this.  Hmmm....well, first off, because two men or two women can't procreate.  You remember that whole perpetuation of the species thing?  That's one way a gay relationship is inferior.  (And don't give me the whole, "What about straight couples who can't have kids?" argument, 'cause it doesn't fly.)  Another way gay relationships are inferior is in raising kids.  The best environment for a child to be raised in is one with a loving father and a mother.  Each gender has something unique to offer.  I know that's not PC to say nowadays, but it's true.  Gay parents can't offer that.  I'm not saying they can't be good parents, especially compared to a lot of the bad father and mother combos out there.  But the best gay parent situation will always be inferior to the best heterosexual parent situation.

I don't understand why people are so afraid of letting same sex couples say they are married.? how in the world is that a "threat", as some people say, to their marriage?

I'm not "afraid" of it.  I don't necessarily see it as a "threat," at least not to me personally.  But we all have a stake in the societies we live in.  Marriage is a symbol and symbols are powerful things.  Some of us still believe in the traditional family.  Ya know, husband, wife, kids, a dog named Fido.  Marriage between man and woman is a bedrock of human society.  Always has been.  Nobody's saying two men or two women can't hook up.  They can call their relationship whatever they want.  But not marriage. 
The Dog
Legend

« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2006, 10:55:00 PM »

inherently inferior eh?  How so?  can't wait to hear this one....

I can't believe I have to answer this.  Hmmm....well, first off, because two men or two women can't procreate.  You remember that whole perpetuation of the species thing?  That's one way a gay relationship is inferior.  (And don't give me the whole, "What about straight couples who can't have kids?" argument, 'cause it doesn't fly.)  Another way gay relationships are inferior is in raising kids.  The best environment for a child to be raised in is one with a loving father and a mother.  Each gender has something unique to offer.  I know that's not PC to say nowadays, but it's true.  Gay parents can't offer that.  I'm not saying they can't be good parents, especially compared to a lot of the bad father and mother combos out there.  But the best gay parent situation will always be inferior to the best heterosexual parent situation.

I don't understand why people are so afraid of letting same sex couples say they are married.  how in the world is that a "threat", as some people say, to their marriage?

I'm not "afraid" of it.  I don't necessarily see it as a "threat," at least not to me personally.  But we all have a stake in the societies we live in.  Marriage is a symbol and symbols are powerful things.  Some of us still believe in the traditional family.  Ya know, husband, wife, kids, a dog named Fido.  Marriage between man and woman is a bedrock of human society.  Always has been.  Nobody's saying two men or two women can't hook up.  They can call their relationship whatever they want.  But not marriage. 

Funny, I always thoght marriage was about LOVE, not "perpetuating the species".  Sorry dude, but its pretty likely that the love a man and a woman has is just as great as the love two girls or two guys might have for each other. 

Also, by your logic single parents are "inferior" b/c they can't offer what the opposite sex can.
"
As for marriage being a "symbol", then the 50% of marriages ending in divorce in this country isn't saying much for "human society" is it?  The days of the traditional family have long since passed my friend.  50% of them end in divorce, people today are staying single for a lot longer then normal, people of different races are getting married (are you against that "non traditional" occurence as well???) and homosexuality is becoming more and more accepted.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: