Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 06, 2024, 04:23:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227998 Posts in 43256 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Regarding all the rumors of "Better" being the single
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Regarding all the rumors of "Better" being the single  (Read 41744 times)
chineseroses
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #220 on: October 24, 2006, 07:45:03 PM »

dont' you want to hear songs in the same vein as the ones that made you fans to begin with?!?!?
Of course I want.... but man, there is no Slash anymore. How can it be "as good as before" without Slash? it's impossible. It's like asking The Chicago Bulls to make as good as the old days without Michael Jordan... it's an impossible dream.
Plus there are 3 guitar players, wich is even worst because none of them has enough space to shine and to show his real talent like Slash. So they even have less attention individually.
dude............................

gett..... over it.....

finck and the rest will start SHININ after CD is released. fuckin wait for it. SLash didnt 'SHINE' until AFTER AFD came out   confused confused

dude thats the most sense youve ever made.
Sober_times
VIP

The Proud Winner of a Wooden Spoon.

« Reply #221 on: October 24, 2006, 07:50:21 PM »

everyone i know who i've played better for loved it. And 99% of those are NOT remotely GNR fans or into anything GNR related. it's an amazing crossover song. it's crazy catchy, but modern, quirky, unconventional and ass kicking. what the fuck more do you want??
i think it would make an amazing first single.

I want an instant classic, a song that will still be "radio friendly" 20 years from now. Sorry, Better is not that song. I want a song that says "now THIS was waiting for". Better is not that song....good song, but not a 10+ year waiting song.

I personally don't really care if "non die hards" or non GNR fans like it b/c its a cross over song...dont' you think REAL GNR fans should like it first??? If the album sells 10 million copies and its average at best, I'm not going to be happy. Britney Spears sold a ton of records too but her songs are punchlines now, yet they were radio friendly and catchy etc.....

like i said, and i mean no offense truly, but you guys sound more like record execs then guns fans - dont' you want to hear songs in the same vein as the ones that made you fans to begin with?!?!?

I like these new songs that I've heard. And I am glad Axl is not trying to relive the past by attempting to duplicate Appetite. Nothing you will ever hear will take you back to the spot you want to be at. You expect to much. I expect a lot as well, but I am over that sound. I love Appetite and I will forever, but I don't want this band to make songs "like Appetite" or songs like the ones that made me a fan to begin with. I love Guns N Roses. I love this version of Guns N Roses. I love these new songs by Guns N Roses. Will I be dissappointed if better is the best song off of the new album?? Damn Right I will be. But I love the sound of this new band. Some people fail to relize it may have the same name buts its not the same band. It should sound different. It will sound different. Not everyone will like this album. I'm ok with that. From what i've heard this album will kick ass and take names. In the end you have to ask yourself if your ready to move foward? If your ready to let go of the past? I am. I have. And I love what Guns N Roses is doing now. And I loved what they did than. But I do not want this band to sound like it once did. All I want is for Chinese Democracy to live up to the name Guns N Roses. From I have heard I belive it will. I grew up listening to Appetite. And now I am ready to grow old listening to Chinese Democracy?smoking

CM Punk is the Best in the World!

I dig crazy chicks like AJ!

HBK is the greatest wrestler of all time!

I miss Edge!

Thats it, thats all I have to say.

P.S. Cena Sucks!
evergreen_layne
Rocker

People have waited a long time for this

« Reply #222 on: October 24, 2006, 07:51:17 PM »

everyone i know who i've played better for loved it. And 99% of those are NOT remotely GNR fans or into anything GNR related. it's an amazing crossover song. it's crazy catchy, but modern, quirky, unconventional and ass kicking. what the fuck more do you want??
i think it would make an amazing first single.

Well said.  "Better" has a lot of different parts but they all fit together.  Its kinda like the song Axl was trying to write when he put out "Oh My God."  The two solos by Robin and Buckethead are two of my favorite solos ever.  The first show starts in 2 or 3 hours!

EDIT:  "I grew up listening to Appetite. And now I am ready to grow old listening to Chinese Democracy"

me too dude!

11.08.02 - Tacoma Dome, Tacoma, WA
12.10.06 - Everett Events Center, Everett, WA
12.11.06 - Rose Garden Arena, Portland, OR
Mikkamakka
Daddy Cool
Banned
Legend

Half man, half beast

« Reply #223 on: October 25, 2006, 04:13:57 AM »

Better is the expected first single, but it is yet to be confirmed

Good choice.

I don't think so.? Its a good song, but the amount of hype around new disc, the long wait, many casual fans will be saying "this is what we waited for"Huh? Better will not be on the radio for months like WTTJ and SCOM were.? If Better is the best that CD has to offer then I think we're in store for a major disappointment.? Its a good tune, but it doesn't blow me away.? The middle is the only redeeming part of the song.? The first single should be a song that is on the charts and on the radio in heavy rotation for months.

This is the way i felt about I.R.S. & TWAT.? No way casual fans should hear these first after all the hype.? IMO, out of the tracks we've heard, Better is the perfect attention grabber and most catchy, radio-friendly rocker there is.? I'm with the masses in hoping that there are other songs from the album that are better and harder rocking, but for right now if you asked me to choose from the songs we've heard so far, Better is the most sensible choice to get people hyped.

Agree. Better is a catchy, poppy rock song with serious industrial elements. A great choice to introduce Nu-GN'R to the public. The song isn't Earth-shattering, but I really like it.

'Once there was this Rock 'N' Roll band
Rollin' on the streets
Time went by and it became a joke'
Slashead
Banned
VIP

« Reply #224 on: October 25, 2006, 04:46:15 AM »

Bands evolve. So must GNR. And as long as the change is gradual, why complain? It's not like the new material and old material is day/night. Just a little less bluesy and more modern, but you can definately still hear it's GNR.
How could Axl's new band sound as Guns N'Roses without Slash, Izzy and Duff in the new band ? That, my friend, is impossible. You may like Axl's new band, but to like it because it sounds like Guns N'Roses is the worst reason to love it. It's cool to evolve, but to change everything is a whole different story...

Concerning Better, I hope they will release something better. I mean this song isn't a patch on former GNR singles like Welcome to the Jungle, Sweet Child O'Mine or You Could Be Mine (first single from the Illusion albums).

I'll download it !
Locomotive98
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #225 on: October 25, 2006, 05:26:28 AM »

Bands evolve. So must GNR. And as long as the change is gradual, why complain? It's not like the new material and old material is day/night. Just a little less bluesy and more modern, but you can definately still hear it's GNR.
How could Axl's new band sound as Guns N'Roses without Slash, Izzy and Duff in the new band ? That, my friend, is impossible. You may like Axl's new band, but to like it because it sounds like Guns N'Roses is the worst reason to love it. It's cool to evolve, but to change everything is a whole different story...

Concerning Better, I hope they will release something better. I mean this song isn't a patch on former GNR singles like Welcome to the Jungle, Sweet Child O'Mine or You Could Be Mine (first single from the Illusion albums).

Amen to that!

'Once there was this rock n' roll band rolling on the street, time went by and it became a joke'.
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #226 on: October 25, 2006, 06:22:29 AM »

why the fuck do you have to bring the old lineup into this?   dude the old band has been gone for a long fucking time.. maybe you should get over it already.  ok
Slashead
Banned
VIP

« Reply #227 on: October 25, 2006, 06:36:46 AM »

Sorry Jimmy, but I am not the one who brought the old line-up into this : Demon Wolf did. ok
« Last Edit: October 25, 2006, 06:38:59 AM by Slashead » Logged

I'll download it !
russtcb
Takin' Care Of Business In A Flash
Legend

« Reply #228 on: October 25, 2006, 07:09:07 AM »

why the fuck do you have to bring the old lineup into this?   dude the old band has been gone for a long fucking time.. maybe you should get over it already.  ok

I feel the same way. I still cannot understand how people don't think all the material we've heard so far doesn't sound like Guns N' Roses anyways!

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
https://www.youtube.com/infectiousgroovepodcast
Slashead
Banned
VIP

« Reply #229 on: October 25, 2006, 08:01:14 AM »

I feel the same way. I still cannot understand how people don't think all the material we've heard so far doesn't sound like Guns N' Roses anyways!
Look, Axl's band could be playing polkas and mazurkas, you still would say that it sounds like GN'R.

The fact is that Better doesn't sound like anything done before by GN'R. You may think it is great that Axl chose this path or, on the contrary, you may think it wasn't a good idea.
But saying that it sounds like Guns N'Roses is plain absurd.

I'll download it !
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #230 on: October 25, 2006, 08:05:15 AM »

GN'R isn't AC/DC.

They've actually managed to still sound like GN'R and add some new elements to their music.

Now, please go and discuss your love for the old band in the Dead Horse section.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Slashead
Banned
VIP

« Reply #231 on: October 25, 2006, 08:10:29 AM »

Jarmo,
I've been polite with everybody here so I ask you to be correct with me.

I'll download it !
Locomotive98
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #232 on: October 25, 2006, 08:14:30 AM »

GN'R isn't AC/DC.

They've actually managed to still sound like GN'R and add some new elements to their music.

Now, please go and discuss your love for the old band in the Dead Horse section.

/jarmo

As far as it sounding like GNR, thats undisputable to a degree because its Axl singing and hes pretty instrumental in the GNR sound, but musically it doesnt sound like GNR because its a totally different band. Theyre not being difficult or praising the old band but just speaking the truth,.

'Once there was this rock n' roll band rolling on the street, time went by and it became a joke'.
misterID
"Enlightened"
Banned
Legend

I did not have sexual relations with that llama

« Reply #233 on: October 25, 2006, 08:14:54 AM »

imo, Better mops the floor with 99.9% of all GNR's old songs.

GNR delusion disorder, there is help for you.
http://www.chopaway.com/evolution/forum.php
Locomotive98
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #234 on: October 25, 2006, 08:17:44 AM »

So which 0.01% do you like? My World?

misterID
"Enlightened"
Banned
Legend

I did not have sexual relations with that llama

« Reply #235 on: October 25, 2006, 08:22:07 AM »

So which 0.01% do you like? My World?

I didn't say I disliked the old songs. I just think the new songs are lightyears ahead of the old tunes in every shape and form. I love the old songs but in all seriousness they aren't even on the same scale as the new ones, save a few.

The .01 % was Locomotive Grin

GNR delusion disorder, there is help for you.
http://www.chopaway.com/evolution/forum.php
NicoRourke
On board
Legend

Not sorry.

« Reply #236 on: October 25, 2006, 08:30:28 AM »

Better is a kick ass song, and perfect for a single.

What the band needs is a catchy song, with Axl's signature voice and the GN'R sound, even if it has evolved.

It's great.

Don't turn this thread into an Old vs New bullshit thread ...

And to those who are still calling the band Axl's new band, here's a clue : it's called Guns N' Roses ok

You know where to put your 'just shut up and sing'.

Long live GN'R.
cyllan
Constantly on tour
VIP

FABRICATI DIEM PUNC

« Reply #237 on: October 25, 2006, 08:36:44 AM »

I hope Better is chosen as the single; it showcases the evolution of GNR in a way that I believe will be accessible to the majority of 'old' GNR fans. ?My opinion is based purely on the live versions I've heard at the shows I've attended but, musically speaking it has, to my mind, the hook of SCOM, along with both the anthemic quality and dark edginess of PC. ?Lyrically, Axl provides us with his trademark raw, powerful emotional honesty and unique vocal talent; qualities that brought him success before and I believe will do so again. ?Whether it'll set the charts alight, I've no idea as I don't follow them these days. ?But if the music buying public still have any taste whatsoever, it will be a massive hit and pave the way for the release of CD.

"I never thought all the love I was lookin? for
Could ever be so close to me?"
Slashead
Banned
VIP

« Reply #238 on: October 25, 2006, 08:37:12 AM »

I didn't say I disliked the old songs. I just think the new songs are lightyears ahead of the old tunes in every shape and form. I love the old songs but in all seriousness they aren't even on the same scale as the new ones, save a few.
That's your opinion and I respect it. Nevertheless, at the shows, people are way happier when songs like WTTJ, November Rain, Nightrain or SCOM are played ?than when Better is played. This is not an opinion, it is a fact. And I suppose it will be like that forever.

I wonder why... Roll Eyes

PS : yes NicoRourke, I know it is called Guns N'Roses... But is it justified ? The editor of French magazine "Rock & Folk" sent me a message a couple of months ago. According to him, it is not justified. He's not the only one who thinks like that.

I'll download it !
axe
Rocker

« Reply #239 on: October 25, 2006, 08:48:00 AM »

Nevertheless, at the shows, people are way happier when songs like WTTJ, November Rain, Nightrain or SCOM are played  than when Better is played. This is not an opinion, it is a fact. And I suppose it will be like that forever.

I wonder why... Roll Eyes

Could it be because people have been listening to those other songs for 20 years, but more than 90% of the people in the shows have never even heard about Better?
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: