Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 04:43:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228061 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Heard something (partially) odd on Sirius Radio today...(RUMORED CD DATE!)
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Heard something (partially) odd on Sirius Radio today...(RUMORED CD DATE!)  (Read 45920 times)
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #180 on: November 02, 2006, 08:27:36 AM »

Does anyone remember hearing anything about November 7th specifically as a possible release date before Sirius DJ's started mentioning it in the last day or so?? I don't.? It's odd that this would be rumored to be the date.? Where would they come up with it?? Message board rumor?? Odd that we the superfans hav'nt heard it before Sirius DJ's started talking about it so much.

No.  And that's one of the things I find compelling.  Because usually when a DJ reports a rumor like this, it comes from "us" or we've heard it already.

The fact that nobody can find hide nor hair of this SPECIFIC rumored date, and they're reporting it as a rumored date, I find very interesting.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
russtcb
Takin' Care Of Business In A Flash
Legend

« Reply #181 on: November 02, 2006, 08:55:47 AM »

I'm not stating my opinion as fact...

I'm not trying to bust your balls, but....that's exactly what you're doing.  Because you don't have definitive proof from anyone that you're right.  The opinion might be well founded on common sense, history, etc, etc...but it's still opinion.

Careful.... I once got a tongue lashing and still have a tagline dedicated to me by a fellow user for not liking people stating their opinion as fact!  Wink

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
https://www.youtube.com/infectiousgroovepodcast
hackvresse
Rocker

I'm God

« Reply #182 on: November 02, 2006, 08:56:01 AM »

so still nothing new on this? If it will be released next week the record stores have to get copies of CD(just think about stores in Europe) - but we heard nothing about it. So it's very unlikely I think..

maybe we'd be better off without you anyway
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #183 on: November 02, 2006, 09:14:32 AM »

No, it doesn't matter when its sold, but generally the first week sales are the largest. Yes, it's true that they could generate interest but they need a lot of steam behind this album and it's hard to do so by putting it on the shelves with no sort of promotion. The average person isn't going to run to the store to pay for something they know nothing about. They are going to sit at home and wait until they get an idea about this album. Which means they will turn to downloading. That very will likely cost them a lot of sales because not everyone is going to decide to buy it after they just got it for free. It's a risky move because if this album doesn't go over well with the general public then they could end up with less sales than if they hyped the crap out of it.

Universal shelled out a pretty penny for this album. They are going to want to generate as many sales as possible. They aren't going to approve of anything that would make it more difficult for them to get a return on their investment.

Just to play devils advocate:  GnR GH has sold incredibly well.  It had very little pre-release promotion and, really, comparatively little post release promotion (compared to the release of new material by other artists).  It's sold like gangbusters.  Someone also used the AFD example, which I think is apt.

MOST albums sell their copies in the first week...but GnR is not most artists.  And, if you look at their albums, they tend to sell very well over the long term....much better than in comparison to most artists.  So it's not like it defies all logic to do something like this.  It's risky, to be sure, but.....

Universal, given the money they've made of GH, etc, might very well be willing to engage in a risky alternative marketing plan with this release.  Actually, it makes perfect sense to use THIS release, all things considered, as a boilerplate for something different. 

And to those decrying no promotion.....think about what we're discussing here.  Think about what we've been discussing for the past month or so.  There IS promotion going on...it's certainly non-traditional (and, in essence, cheap as hell for the label) kind of promotion, but it's definitely occuring.

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #184 on: November 02, 2006, 09:18:20 AM »

Hasn't Axl said there's nearly 3 albums worth of material? So that $13 million everyone keeps bitching about isn't necessarily just for the one album. Still, they've spent a little over $5 million on Chinese D. alone if we're dividing it up among 2.5 albums. That's still a huge number. LOL. I don't know what they'll do, but at this point I've learned not to get too excited about anything.

I'm assuming the 13 million, considering Axl's statements, was an advance on the entire contract (3 albums + gh), not just CD.  Given that, and given what GH has made for the label (we discussed this an conservatively came to a number between 8 and 10 million), you may want to take that into consideration.  Without releasing another thing, conservatively, Universal has only  "financed" about 5 million dollars total. 

Together again,
JDA
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #185 on: November 02, 2006, 09:50:07 AM »

Appetite didn't sell well in its first week but it's one of the greatest selling albums of all time. 
gnrbus
Opening Act

Chinese Democracy Starts When?

« Reply #186 on: November 02, 2006, 10:12:59 AM »

Any new information from the Sirius dj's?
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #187 on: November 02, 2006, 10:17:58 AM »

what GH has made for the label (we discussed this an conservatively came to a number between 8 and 10 million)

I thought it was the number of the copies (gh's reaching to 4 platinum discs us alone) that were shipped/sold and it should have been more than enough to cover Uni's investment? Huh
« Last Edit: November 02, 2006, 10:19:38 AM by ppbebe » Logged
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #188 on: November 02, 2006, 10:19:04 AM »

Appetite didn't sell well in its first week but it's one of the greatest selling albums of all time.?

yeah, but that was their debut album.. and they got almost no help from MTV wich was a big factor back then.. it was when MTV agreed to air the welcome to the jungle video the recordsales took of..
CTgirl
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #189 on: November 02, 2006, 10:19:15 AM »

It's not just the fans who want to have the cd.I think music collectors and others will probably want it due to all the anticipation and drama involved in its release.This will not only be a fans dream but a huge collectors item. I predict that this cd will do well even though many will download it.Who knows when it will be out but it will be and I cant fuckin wait!!!  GUNS N FUCKIN ROSES MOTHERFUCKERS!!!!!!! beer
CAFC Nick
VIP

I don't know just what I should do...

« Reply #190 on: November 02, 2006, 10:21:35 AM »

Appetite didn't sell well in its first week but it's one of the greatest selling albums of all time. 

GN'R wasn't exactly the band they are today back then.
Sweet Black Magic
Opening Act

I'm a llama!

« Reply #191 on: November 02, 2006, 10:23:45 AM »

I'm not trying to bust your balls, but....that's exactly what you're doing.? Because you don't have definitive proof from anyone that you're right.? The opinion might be well founded on common sense, history, etc, etc...but it's still opinion.

No...my opinion is my opinion...nothing more.  Why do I need definitive proof to give my opinion that it's NOT coming out next Tuesday?
nonlinear
VIP

« Reply #192 on: November 02, 2006, 10:31:20 AM »

I think everyone is forgetting the fact a bloke on this board heard it being played out of Geffen's towers, MTV were at Geffen/Interscope, Axl played the finished version at his party in September................................

when was MTV at geffen?

"This isn't McDonald's or Burger King - it isn't 'Have it your way.'"
- Axl Rose, as cited by Del James
nonlinear
VIP

« Reply #193 on: November 02, 2006, 10:35:32 AM »

I still haven't received a response yet, and i'm not really expecting one at this point (the auto-response and another board member told me to expect a response within 24 hours, I beleive)

"This isn't McDonald's or Burger King - it isn't 'Have it your way.'"
- Axl Rose, as cited by Del James
Scree
VIP

Waiting

« Reply #194 on: November 02, 2006, 10:36:47 AM »

Talking about MTV, did you hear the one about GnR being on MTV tonight live? Niether did I till a mate called me at work and said he'd heard it on the radio. Gonna have to call him back and ask him what station (I was busy when he first called and didn't ask)

Life is a strange thing. Just when you think you've learnt how to use it it's gone.
sjgotnitro
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #195 on: November 02, 2006, 10:37:51 AM »

Yea i still see no need for panic. the last tuesday of the year ?I will panic until then stay the course. I'm sure in a few weeks we will all forget the anxiety and just be enjoying the cd. yes

Help Needed

Looking For Video
"Hershey PA. June 1991"
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

« Reply #196 on: November 02, 2006, 10:39:19 AM »

It's not just the fans who want to have the cd.I think music collectors and others will probably want it due to all the anticipation and drama involved in its release.This will not only be a fans dream but a huge collectors item.

yeah i think so too, it's like a graal or cult thingie that everybody gotta have in their CD case
sjgotnitro
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #197 on: November 02, 2006, 10:39:27 AM »

I still haven't received a response yet, and i'm not really expecting one at this point (the auto-response and another board member told me to expect a response within 24 hours, I beleive)

Same thing happend to me before, they will not respond in writing on anything when it comes to GNR.

Help Needed

Looking For Video
"Hershey PA. June 1991"
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #198 on: November 02, 2006, 10:40:08 AM »

I'm not trying to bust your balls, but....that's exactly what you're doing.  Because you don't have definitive proof from anyone that you're right.  The opinion might be well founded on common sense, history, etc, etc...but it's still opinion.

No...my opinion is my opinion...nothing more.  Why do I need definitive proof to give my opinion that it's NOT coming out next Tuesday?

You needed definitive proof when you stated that it's NOT coming out this year.
CheapJon
Legend

« Reply #199 on: November 02, 2006, 10:41:33 AM »

Talking about MTV, did you hear the one about GnR being on MTV tonight live? Niether did I till a mate called me at work and said he'd heard it on the radio. Gonna have to call him back and ask him what station (I was busy when he first called and didn't ask)

i don't think so, 'cause tonight is the european music awards aired on mtv and i think all the mtv stations in the world will air that show and i know gn'r aint in denmark.. the only possible thing would be if they do as they did in 1991 when they recorded LALD from wembley and then aired it on the show, but that's a very very ?small chance of happen
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: