Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 05:24:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227820 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Cynic and Gordian Knot
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cynic and Gordian Knot  (Read 1936 times)
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« on: December 26, 2005, 04:08:42 AM »

Cynic started out as just another death metal band, but later evolved into a progressive technical jazz death metal fusion band! In 1993, their only album ever released, Focus, sent shockwaves throughout the scene. It was one of the most amazing, artistic creations death metal had ever witnessed. In fact, calling it death metal is a bit of a stretch; it's so unique! Even Atheist couldn't top it!  Shocked

When the  band broke up, 2 members went on to form Gordian Knot, one of the best progressive bands out there today. Its jazzy style is cool, but isn't full of ego. It's interesting music, not pretentious. It's a great band to check out if you don't like the sellout band that Dream Theater has become.

Enjoy new music, but keep the classics alive!  ok
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2005, 04:15:47 AM »

By the way, if you happen to like Cynic, check out Portal, a short-lived band that formed from Cynic's breakup (but before Gordian Knot). They're softer and less metallic than Cynic, but the sound is similar.
Skeletor
Paha keisari
Legend

Oyez! Oyez!

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2005, 04:31:16 AM »

I have Emergent by Gordian Knot, it's a great album. I wouldn't compare them to Dream Theater though, they're much crazier than that hihi Gordian Knot has more in common with Spastic Ink and Spiral Architect, heard of those bands?

This is what he'd always known
The promise of something greater beyond the water's final horizon
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2005, 06:08:25 AM »

I've heard of Spiral Architect, but I haven't heard of Spastic Ink. I haven't listened to either one yet, though. I'll be sure and check them out. Of course, none of them can top the original Cynic.  ok
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2006, 11:53:57 PM »

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=57823

I hope this is real!  Cheesy
GNR_Green
VIP

Green Army

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2006, 07:09:01 AM »

I just got round to listening to Cynic.  Wow is all I can say, amazing music.  They may have usurped Atheist in my personal pecking order.  I can see why Terrorizer called it the most important album of the death metal genre.

"Said if they had someone to buy it, Said I'm sure they'd sell my soul"
sami
Headliner

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2006, 11:42:47 AM »

I love Cynic. I haven?t checked out the other bands mentioned in this thread though. Im quite sure the tour rumors are since there was a Paul Masvidal interview at Ultimatemetal forum regarding the upcoming tour.
http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=259046
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: