Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 09:03:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227820 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  A "secret release" just isnt realistic !
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: A "secret release" just isnt realistic !  (Read 21954 times)
ZoulonFire
Headliner

Here Today...

« on: November 16, 2006, 01:37:17 PM »

2006 is out, people, lets just deal with it. 

A secret album release would be a doable idea in 1986, but today it is impossible and completely unrealistic.  A secret release would be impossible because of THE INTERNET.  Think about it- a secret but WORLD WIDE release, all happening on the same day- someone, somewhere is opening that box early and posting their findings on the internet. 

Which brings us to the OTHER reason a secret release isnt possible- THE INTERNET!  Lets use some common sense here: CD is released secretly, only a handful of people know about it the first hours it is on store shelves, someone uploads it to the internet, people start downloading an album THEY DONT EVEN KNOW IF FOR SALE. 

Record releases have to be swift, and HEAVILY PROMOTED to do monster first week sales or the internet will rape the record company of profit.

Chinese Democracy needs MONSTER promotion, and the higher ups at the record company who dont give a fuck about merck, axl, or bucketfoot KNOW THAT.  Chinese Democracy needs to be AN EVENT (like the release of a blockbuster movie), not a scheme to trick fans.  We need to see a SOLID date and HUGE ads, a rolling stone cover, a single and video, an interview with kurt loder, guitar world/kerrang/metal edge covers, a larry king appearance, etc.etc.etc..... The record execs KNOW THIS and we WILL NOT SEE CD WITHOUT IT !

coondogg
Rocker

« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2006, 01:38:57 PM »

Thanks for the info  Roll Eyes
Edward Rose
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2006, 01:41:02 PM »

A secret album release would be a doable idea in 1986, but today it is impossible and completely unrealistic.  A secret release would be impossible because of THE INTERNET.  Think about it- a secret but WORLD WIDE release, all happening on the same day- someone, somewhere is opening that box early and posting their findings on the internet. 

Which brings us to the OTHER reason a secret release isnt possible- THE INTERNET!  Lets use some common sense here: CD is released secretly, only a handful of people know about it the first hours it is on store shelves, someone uploads it to the internet, people start downloading an album THEY DONT EVEN KNOW IF FOR SALE. 

Record releases have to be swift, and HEAVILY PROMOTED to do monster first week sales or the internet will rape the record company of profit.

Chinese Democracy needs MONSTER promotion, and the higher ups at the record company who dont give a fuck about merck, axl, or bucketfoot KNOW THAT.  Chinese Democracy needs to be AN EVENT (like the release of a blockbuster movie), not a scheme to trick fans.  We need to see a SOLID date and HUGE ads, a rolling stone cover, a single and video, an interview with kurt loder, guitar world/kerrang/metal edge covers, a larry king appearance, etc.etc.etc..... The record execs KNOW THIS and we WILL NOT SEE CD WITHOUT IT !

Just as impossible as a successful tour with little or no promotion. Why would the album need monster promotion if a rock band with only the lead singer as the original member did just fine on their world tour? If it was about the money, things would have been done differently for the tour.

The reality is, the actions and official statements by management DO point towards a sneaky release. Just my oppinion, of course.
ARC
VIP

DANCE DANCE DANCE DANCE DANCE TO THE RADIO

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2006, 01:41:23 PM »

2006 is out, people, lets just deal with it.?

A secret album release would be a doable idea in 1986, but today it is impossible and completely unrealistic.? A secret release would be impossible because of THE INTERNET.? Think about it- a secret but WORLD WIDE release, all happening on the same day- someone, somewhere is opening that box early and posting their findings on the internet.?

Which brings us to the OTHER reason a secret release isnt possible- THE INTERNET!? Lets use some common sense here: CD is released secretly, only a handful of people know about it the first hours it is on store shelves, someone uploads it to the internet, people start downloading an album THEY DONT EVEN KNOW IF FOR SALE.?

Chinese Democracy needs MONSTER promotion, and the higher ups at the record company who dont give a fuck about merck, axl, or bucketfoot KNOW THAT.? Chinese Democracy needs to be AN EVENT (like the release of a blockbuster movie), not a scheme to trick fans.? We need to see a SOLID date and HUGE ads, a rolling stone cover, a single and video, an interview with kurt loder, guitar world/kerrang/metal edge covers, a larry king appearance, etc.etc.etc..... The record execs KNOW THIS and we WILL NOT SEE CD WITHOUT IT !

Correct. Finally, someone with some sense. ?peace
Backslash
\
VIP

Use Your Allusion

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2006, 01:41:49 PM »

Of course, a secret release is all we can hope for at this point...

GNRevolution... the missing link.
fixintodie
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2006, 01:43:03 PM »

You say a secret release would be impossible because of the internet. A secret release would only be possible through the internet. But I agree with pretty much everything else you said.
requiem156
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2006, 01:44:12 PM »

Man, I just can't get enough of people posting the same old shit like they were the first ones to think of it. The next time you want to post something, how about asking yourself if you've seen 100+ posters saying the exact same thing this week. If the answer if yes, please spare us. You're just cluttering the board.
ZoulonFire
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2006, 01:44:25 PM »

Just as impossible as a successful tour with little or no promotion. Why would the album need monster promotion if a rock band with only the lead singer as the original member did just fine on their world tour? If it was about the money, things would have been done differently for the tour.

The reality is, the actions and official statements by management DO point towards a sneaky release. Just my oppinion, of course.

The tour is doing "fine" yes, but not "great" by anyones standard.  One or two sell outs?  For what was once the BIGGEST ROCK BAND of its time?  Of course, if the album was out, and the tour was promoted, maybe it would be a sell out across the board and be a "hot ticket" (the goal of any rock tour).

polluxlm
Mennesker Er Dumme
Legend

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2006, 01:44:43 PM »

Of course, a secret release is all we can hope for at this point...

That just makes you warm inside right Cry

Ah, mere infantry. Poor beggars.

GN'R Tour Overview 1984-2007
1badapple
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2006, 01:46:03 PM »

Unfortunately, I agree with alot of what you're saying.

I still have yet to see anyone claiming to work for a cd manufacturing facility announce that they've began pressing CD. Of course, without proof we'd all say they were full of shit.

I'm starting to think this whole tour and everything is just a cash grab. In 02 when Axl said soon isn't the word, tickets didn't sell very well, with only a few exceptions. He knew he couldn't do that again, so put out a few demos to get people talking, then promised not once, but 3 times that cd is coming out this year. Ticket sales are much better this time around too. I hope my assumptions are wrong, but if Jan 1st rolls around with no new cd, then i'll know my assumptions were correct.
ZoulonFire
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2006, 01:47:04 PM »

Man, I just can't get enough of people posting the same old shit like they were the first ones to think of it. The next time you want to post something, how about asking yourself if you've seen 100+ posters saying the exact same thing this week. If the answer if yes, please spare us. You're just cluttering the board.

You know what, I see more people clammoring about a "secret release" rather than thinking about it in more realisitic terms, if it really even is POSSIBLE to do- so I thought, why not present the arugement AGAINST a sneaky release in its own thread, to really spark the debate.

Hey, it's a MESSAGE BOARD, isnt that what it's for?
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2006, 01:47:36 PM »

just realx everybody....geez some record stores dont even hear about albums until a week before release....have patience both axl and merck have difinitively said it'd be out this year so lets take their word on it peace

the cd will sell itself and after release the promotion will come

Howard2k
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2006, 01:49:45 PM »

Is there ANY commitment to this "surprise release" theory that keeps being repeated over and over and over?   

It's an out of control rumour isn't it?   Perhaps started by Merck's statement in RS magazine which has already been confirmed as sarcasm.

Main Entry: sar?casm
Pronunciation: 's?r-"ka-z&m
Function: noun
Etymology: French or Late Latin; French sarcasme, from Late Latin sarcasmos, from Greek sarkasmos, from sarkazein to tear flesh, bite the lips in rage, sneer, from sark-, sarx flesh; probably akin to Avestan thwar&s- to cut
1 : a sharp and often satirical or ironic utterance designed to cut or give pain
2 a : a mode of satirical wit depending for its effect on bitter, caustic, and often ironic language that is usually directed against an individual b : the use or language of sarcasm

Please be sure that your topic is on the "allowed" list before posting.

Only 23% of my posts get removed!

What leaks??
1badapple
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2006, 01:49:51 PM »

just realx everybody....geez some record stores dont even hear about albums until a week before release....have patience both axl and merck have difinitively said it'd be out this year so lets take their word on it peace

the cd will sell itself and after release the promotion will come

Has Merck said this since he nixed us being able to discuss the RS article? If he has, i missed it. If he hasn't, maybe it's because his comments in that article are no longer valid, and that would explain why all talk of said article was nixed.
requiem156
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2006, 01:50:54 PM »

You know what, I see more people clammoring about a "secret release" rather than thinking about it in more realisitic terms, if it really even is POSSIBLE to do- so I thought, why not present the arugement AGAINST a sneaky release in its own thread, to really spark the debate.

You think you're going to be the voice of reason? People believe what they want to believe. In any case, the argument has been presented repeatedly - I am not exaggerating when I say that I've seen 20 threads with similar intentions and content in the last two weeks, and that doens't even take into account the number of people who have said the same in other threads.
ARC
VIP

DANCE DANCE DANCE DANCE DANCE TO THE RADIO

« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2006, 01:53:12 PM »

the cd will sell itself

You know, I've never believed this myth. I've heard it for years...

Undecided
madagas
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2006, 01:55:55 PM »

Neemo, don't be naive. You can listen to Merck and Axl all you want. I'll wait to hear from the record company at this point. Just because Merck and Axl want it released doesn't mean the record company wants to release it-at least right now. A lot of parts to this equation...some of them more powerful than our little fiery redhead.
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2006, 02:00:45 PM »

Neemo, don't be naive. You can listen to Merck and Axl all you want. I'll wait to hear from the record company at this point.

what else do we got ...axl and merck have talked...the record company hasn't Tongue i agre there is lots we don't know i'm just goin by substantial evidence....that being the interviews we've read and heard with axl and merck peace

the cd will sell itself

You know, I've never believed this myth. I've heard it for years...

yeah well how does the band sell thousands of tickets to shows all year from a few thousand online fans (they have prolly played in front of nearly a million fans this year by now) ...when people see a new gnr album on the racks they'll buy it peace after the initial week or so promotion is bound to start hot and heavy IMO yes

Backslash
\
VIP

Use Your Allusion

« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2006, 02:03:24 PM »

I'm with Neemo on this one...

There's been little to no promotion for this tour (aside from a poster here and there) and the tour has been successful.  An album with little to no promotion should logically appeal to the same fanbase.

GNRevolution... the missing link.
pasnow
VIP

« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2006, 02:05:23 PM »

I'm going to start counting each time I see a new thread started about how either CD will be out by the end of 2006 or will not be out by the end of 2006.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: