Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 06:37:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227820 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Who remembers the wait for "Use Your Illusion"?
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Who remembers the wait for "Use Your Illusion"?  (Read 15411 times)
gotohell
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2006, 09:41:15 PM »

Nice reply, gotohell.? That's exactly how I remember it....

But as for leaks, back then, where the hell would it have leaked TO?? ?hihi

On a side note, I remember seeing the bootleg VHS of the Indiana concert at a record show back in '92.? I couldn't believe that I was actually going to be able to watch a live concert over and over again!? Now, we have everything instantly.? Wow, how times have changed...
yes it is very differnet, but mostly how much easier it is to get stuff nowadays
I remember I had a VHS or the 1986 show at the Roxy, thought that was the greatest thing on earth, I also had Demos/& Live of "Gnr Lies" before it came out , I also had demo's of "Back Off Bitch", "Dont Cry" & "November Rain" before even Lies was released, Bootleg Vinyl was the way to go Back Then, we has one record store in the Boston area with the balls to carry Boots, and GNR had a huge section
grog mug
Legend

« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2006, 09:44:54 PM »

I was 7 back then, but I do remember GN'R being the biggest band.  If only they could repeat history, but actually give us a release date to go on this time!
Z
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2006, 09:46:31 PM »

This wait goes far beyond the wait for UYI.

GNR hit the road and UYI was released a mere 3 months later.

We even had a release date in Nov. of 2002 that got pulled.

Tomorrow looks like a wash. ?Don't know about you all but I'll be around for another 5 weeks.

I still have faith Axl will keep his word.
stvyrayvhn
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2006, 09:51:44 PM »

Wasn't it worse than this?? For me is was, and it seemed longer too.? I starved through all of high school without a new GNR release.? We never even knew the title until the tour came out.? When they said Adler was gone it was like stunning news.? With no Internet to grab bootleg recordings from or get an amateur review of the show, we could only read those stupid magazines.? (Remember "Circus"?)? What little news there was, it came in slow moving little snippets:? A slow song written in 1986 is on there called November Rain.? One song is eleven minutes long with no chorus (Coma).? Axl is pissed about "Jumpin Jack Flash" and won't put it on the album.? Izzy actually sings lead on one song.? When the tour started, it was like a mission to find someone that had gone to a show in another town and grill them on every note of new material they had heard.?

Fuck, I'm officially old.? Get off my lawn...

-=ZIG

I remember the wait and did all of the same stuf you did.  I blew off school to go get the CDs.  I still have those magazines you speak of.
MATT-A-REAL-FAN
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2006, 10:46:59 PM »

Wasn't it worse than this?? For me is was, and it seemed longer too.? I starved through all of high school without a new GNR release.? We never even knew the title until the tour came out.? When they said Adler was gone it was like stunning news.? With no Internet to grab bootleg recordings from or get an amateur review of the show, we could only read those stupid magazines.? (Remember "Circus"?)? What little news there was, it came in slow moving little snippets:? A slow song written in 1986 is on there called November Rain.? One song is eleven minutes long with no chorus (Coma).? Axl is pissed about "Jumpin Jack Flash" and won't put it on the album.? Izzy actually sings lead on one song.? When the tour started, it was like a mission to find someone that had gone to a show in another town and grill them on every note of new material they had heard.?

Fuck, I'm officially old.? Get off my lawn...

-=ZIG
I wore out that goddamned cassette single with Arnold on the cover between July and September.

I remember that the local college rock station in Indiana played both albums in their entirety without interruption the day before they went on sale.

I taped "Don't Cry" off of the radio and listened to it for a week or two before they came out, and had to endure some stupid DJ talking over the intro.

Wow...bringing back the memories...

I second? ALL of this!!!!? My brother had the tape single w/ Arnold and we wore the fucker out between us and his buddy he lent it to.
I remember when MTV News bulletins would announce something GN'R related and if you didn't see it -you heard about from a friend and then had to tune in every hour to see the repeat,which was like 90 fuckin' seconds of news that satisfied you a little while longer.
 I bought Circus religiously hoping to find out anything! In a way the rumors weren't as bad,because you only heard them here and there and if it sounded too outrageous you debunked it yourself and told the kid to fuck off.?
 I remember hearing that "Don't Cry" was years old and it finally made the UYI albums and I thought to myself "Why would they have a great song like this and hold on to it for so long?? Why would they do that? What are they doing?"? Grin

The same thing was when we were trying to get tickets for the show in Dec. of 1991. We talked about if we should camp out for them (remember when people did that?!?) at the local video store,West Coast Video,since that was a TicketTron broker (TicketTron was another company like TicketMaster that was bought by TM to solidify their monopoly on the industry. Bastards.)

Couldn't camp out (we were freshman!-and our parents couldn't help us at the time) and they only had one show scheduled (Dec 16th,'91) and had to rely on one friend's mom to buy them,since she was the only parent with a had a credit card. (that's unreal now too!) Sold the fuck out in like 5? minutes.

The 3 of us were looking in the paper and trying to get them from scalpers. I distinctly recall talking with a ticket broker and debating him that his price was too high and it went against the Pennsylvania law that says the resale amount must not be higher than $5. Tickets were $20 each (can't even get fuckin' concert shirt that cheap any more!) and he wanted like $50 or $75 or something for each. I said "This isn't legal!" and he says "You want the tickets or not?!?" and I'm like "NO!" and hung up.
 Thank God they added a another show for the 17th and we got the tix in time over the phone.

This wait in no way compares with any of that though. ? The years it's been since the "TSI" have been unbearable.? Rumor after rumor have ended with disappointment. Every year you psyche yourself up to have a letdown. (save for this year,as I did see them in concert twice and I still believe Axl's word on this year.)
 The internet has made it 1000 times worse! Now,you have every Tom,Dick and Harry with a fuckin' "source" who can make shit up and have it seem believeable and post it anywhere with virtually no censorship. Look at that recent Chicago Virgin store rumor. I wanted to believe that so bad!

I hope to God that it really will surface and I can not only enjoy it but,shove it in every motherfuckers face who said it would never come out!!? hihi

? ?MATT
« Last Edit: November 20, 2006, 10:52:39 PM by MATT A REAL FAN » Logged
Hoosizzit
Opening Act

Here Today...Hopefully Tomorrow

« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2006, 10:48:52 PM »

Who bought the "Days of Thunder" ?soundtrack....just to listen to Knockin'on Heavens Door? ? (1990..i think ) ? ?Only way to get the GNR fix until Illusions came out. ? This time is much worse ! ok ok

August 2 1988      Indianapolis, IN
May 29 1991        Noblesville, IN
December 2 2011 Cincinnati, OH
December 8 2011  Indianapolis, IN
June 4  2014         Las Vegas, NV
Groovie In VT
Rocker

You know where you are? Your on the fucking Intern

« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2006, 11:06:50 PM »

Who bought the "Days of Thunder"  soundtrack....just to listen to Knockin'on Heavens Door?   (1990..i think )    Only way to get the GNR fix until Illusions came out.   This time is much worse ! ok ok

I bought it and still have it on cassette in a box someplace. Funny thing is I have seen the movie a million times but I can't ever remember hearing the song in the movie. Anyone know what part of the movie it was in?

Groovie In VT....... and don't you forget it!!
Z
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2006, 11:09:28 PM »

I bought the Romanian relief fund cd just to have Civil War  Grin
Bill 213
Legend

The buck stops here!

« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2006, 11:10:32 PM »

I remember like a few weeks before the UYI's were out, they were already bootlegged. ?I had both of them on tape....they had the cover art all faded and were blank on the inside........the tape was so generic looking and they sounded like shit, but I had them first. ?We got them at bootlegger's stand in NYC for like $20 each.

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
metallex78
Legend

vicarious existance is a fucking waste of time

« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2006, 11:17:04 PM »

I only properly got into GN'R in 1992, so the wait for TSI to come out wasn't that long considering I had 4 albums to tide me over until the next release. But waiting 3 years from AFD to UYI is nothing compared to waiting 13 years (or possibly more) after TSI for CD...

I REALLY hope we get it this year!

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2007!!!
23 June Sydney @ Acer Arena
24 June Sydney @ Acer Arena

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2013!!!
17 March Melbourne @ Sidney Myer Music Bowl
1badapple
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2006, 12:31:36 AM »

I remember like a few weeks before the UYI's were out, they were already bootlegged. ?I had both of them on tape....they had the cover art all faded and were blank on the inside........the tape was so generic looking and they sounded like shit, but I had them first. ?We got them at bootlegger's stand in NYC for like $20 each.

I remember paying 30 bucks for the tapes a week before they actually came out. I used to have a friend back then who's stepdad was involved in music somehow and he always got advance copies of things. This kid would use his stereo that had high speed dubbing and sell tapes for 15 bucks each and like dumbasses, we'd all pay it just to have the shit before anyone else. I had all kinds of shit usually a week before actual release back in those days. I never understood why the advance copies he got NEVER had cover art. It was always a white cover that said " for promotional use only-not for sale" or some shit like that.

But, yeah, this wait has been far worse than the wait for Illusions, in my opinion.
babydolls
VIP

Locomotive

« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2006, 06:07:02 AM »

god, it was different then!  i didnt have MTV and my local newsagent only got hit Parader, Rip, Circus, every now and then - they were never a guarantee on the shelves (like the bought occasional copies from the back of a van!). Got Raw and kerrang though, ah those poster specials!
days of thunder soundtrack - oh god yes, and hearing a snippet on the radio and cursing my sister for not letting me tape it as she was taping some god awful pop.
marching into Woolworths and buying them and feeling so fuckin pleased with myself.  promised myself when the "next" album/s came out, I wuld be celebrating with champagne... still gonna happen - the bottle is chilling and has been for some time!
BD888
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2006, 06:23:17 AM »

You also have to add that in '89-'91 there were a ton of great rock albums coming out by other bands regularly, not like now, where rock music is in the doldrums.
doooodickiebr
VIP

Police and niggaz...get outta my way!

« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2006, 08:00:56 AM »

ya'll have to understand....people never change.  Axl has been playing these games for years, and everyone expects since he's older and "wiser" now it'll stop.  Not likely!  I love the man as much as anyone, but c'mon already!

Baton Rouge, LA 1992
New Orleans, LA 1992
Biloxi, MS  2002 Cancelled!!!!
Kansas City, MO 2011
New Orleans, LA 2016
Houston, TX 2016
New Orleans, LA 2019
Biloxi, MS 2023
Edward Rose
« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2006, 08:28:40 AM »

Wasn't it worse than this?  For me is was, and it seemed longer too.  I starved through all of high school without a new GNR release.  We never even knew the title until the tour came out.  When they said Adler was gone it was like stunning news.  With no Internet to grab bootleg recordings from or get an amateur review of the show, we could only read those stupid magazines.  (Remember "Circus"?)  What little news there was, it came in slow moving little snippets:  A slow song written in 1986 is on there called November Rain.  One song is eleven minutes long with no chorus (Coma).  Axl is pissed about "Jumpin Jack Flash" and won't put it on the album.  Izzy actually sings lead on one song.  When the tour started, it was like a mission to find someone that had gone to a show in another town and grill them on every note of new material they had heard. 

Fuck, I'm officially old.  Get off my lawn...

-=ZIG

Can you brief me on this one? (JJ Flash) I don't remember hearing about it back then.

I DO remember seeing Guns at two of the MSG warm up shows in... I think it was May of 1991. After the albums came out I made this cassette tape with the hit songs on it... plus Double Talkin' Jive. I always liked that song for some reason Smiley We had alot goin' on back then, so I can't say I waited anxiously for UYI. (sp?)

Then I saw Guns again @ Giant's Stadium w/ Metallica. Then the last time in the 90's I saw them was at Hartford Civic Center in March of 1993. (Quick train ride from N.Y.C.)

I feel spoiled this time around though, having seen Hammersmith, most of the U.K. tour and MSG. ChinDem? I think I'm more excited about the cover art and liner notes than the music.  Wink
« Last Edit: November 21, 2006, 08:40:29 AM by Edward Rose » Logged
zigthis
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2006, 09:50:07 AM »

Here's my counter:

Yea, obviously I know this has been over 14 years and that was three or four, but time isn't everything, and in this case (for me anyway), time is relative.? Stay with me here...

I'd say I'm the typical demographic for a GNR fan: white male born circa 1970's.? When you're a kid with no real responsibilities going through the crap of being in school and the craziness of growing up, things like music are so much more a part of your life and your routine.? Suffice to say it really, really sucked to go through all the emotional crap of high school without that soundtrack/outlet/mental crutch whatever you wanna call it.? Fuckers...

Also, this time around, aside from being busy with my adult life (work, house, kids, etc.), I happened to have 'discovered' Jimi Hendrix, and waded eyeballs deep into Jimi albums, bootlegs, retrospectives, history, and analysis.? This has kept me plenty occupied, and I've been able to endure the wait for this 'Neverending Album' alot better than I fared last time.?

For better or worse, I'm now taking a Hendrix-ian approach to being a GNR fan, enjoying the standout live performances more than the studio tracks, finding embryonic versions of various songs, tracing the development of this and that, analyzing various causes and effects in the historic timeline.? It's been fun, although doing so on Wikipedia has not been fun.  More on that later...

So if Chinese Democracy and Black Gold came out in the same month I think my head would asplode.

-=ZIG

/Listening to "Room Full Of Mirrors" from Royal Albert Hall 1969
//Next up:? "Civil War" from Farm Aid 1990
///Life is good...
gcluskey
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2006, 06:25:58 PM »

Its great hearing all these stories, reminds me so much of my own youth. I first heard GNR in '88, I was 12. I taped Appetite off a neighbour after hearing some older kids playing a bootleg concert in school. I got so absorbed into GNR as a kid and its stayed with me although I've way more access to up to date info now and I can watch so many performances now. Seeing Live at the Roxy was such a dream come true back in the day, I've lost my video recording of it since but that was magic. Seeing them in Slane '92, Ireland was like being in heaven for me. Those were the days of buying cassette singles and bootleg tapes and GNR were in every magazine going. I couldn't believe it when Steve got booted out but I knew they'd carry on. When Izzy left it was the same, there was always so much scandal and rumours around GNR. I loved the guys to bits, bought every T-shirt there was and I must say, the T-shirts before UYI were the coolest amd still are, check them out! Anyway getting back to it all. The wait for UYI was grand. There was always some news about them and it was the old band, they were all together and I was happy listening to my GNR records over and over. There was amazing hype when the word of the new albums release cam out. Years have passed now and Axl has survived along with the name Guns n Roses and again is stirring up the fans like he always has, including a whole new generation of them, into a frenzy of excitement. only now there's so much more access to information and stuff about them but Axl still can keep us in the dark about somethings like the release date of this new album. Holy fuck, this is great, sure it's doing my head in a bit but I'm fuckin exciting, man!! I know its coming and when it finally does we're gonna be having some fun on this forum posting reviews of Chinese Democracy and analysing the new sounds and lyrics and stuff! There was a whole different excitement back in the days but times change and GNR has been reinvented. I still love old GNR but I'm happy to embrace this new era and enjoy the new music

With your piss flaps flappin' and your cocaine tongue you get nuthin' done...
ibelieveinaxl
It's a bad obsession...
Banned
VIP

Ain't goin' down.....

« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2006, 06:28:09 PM »

it was a long wait....they had to put out lies to satisfy our hunger....but the wait since 92 for new material has been a nightmare......back then the new cd was coming out in 93 or 94...i guess that didnt happen...............

Where does it come from? All this hatred.

1988-Today: 71 shows and counting....
gcluskey
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2006, 06:40:57 PM »

Who bought the "Days of Thunder" soundtrack....just to listen to Knockin'on Heavens Door? (1990..i think ) Only way to get the GNR fix until Illusions came out. This time is much worse ! ok ok

I bought it and still have it on cassette in a box someplace. Funny thing is I have seen the movie a million times but I can't ever remember hearing the song in the movie. Anyone know what part of the movie it was in?

Its playing really quietly in the background, almost inaudible, during a scene before a race where they're fixing up the car and Tom is talking to his friend or someone. I studies that flippin film looking for it

With your piss flaps flappin' and your cocaine tongue you get nuthin' done...
gmGnR
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2006, 07:22:53 PM »

You also have to add that in '89-'91 there were a ton of great rock albums coming out by other bands regularly, not like now, where rock music is in the doldrums.

yep, at least other bands were around.  Maybe I just dreaming this but I think I remember some papers back then talking about the UYI as the most anticipated rock album(s) in history.... sounds familiar.

I agree the wait seemed longer back then (altough I KNOW IT"S NOT), probably because I was much younger and time didn't go as fast as it does now.

I also haven't been hanging around for CD to come out, although I have been this year because of all the official news coming from the GNR camp...  Thought we were gonna get something after Oh My God in 98 but then didn't think about it. Certainly didn't worry about it after Axl said "Soon is not the word" in 2002.  2006, much different.

Paris - 06/06/1992
Paris - 07/13/1993
NYC - 12/05/2002
NYC - 05/12/2006
NYC - 05/14/2006
NYC - 05/17/2006,
E. Rutherford - 11/05/2006
NYC - 11/10/2006
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: