Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 02:09:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228061 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  First Single (What should it be + RUMOR)
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 Go Down Print
Author Topic: First Single (What should it be + RUMOR)  (Read 56121 times)
ben9785
« Reply #340 on: November 23, 2006, 04:51:13 PM »

"The Blues" is a great song definitely, but not as the very first single. That can come as the second or third single, but not straight off the bat. The first single should be something simple, hard rocking, in your face, catchy and heavy. Whether that is "Better" or another song in the same kind of vein as "It's so Easy" or "Right Next Door to Hell", something relatively up tempo and direct and simple.
1badapple
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #341 on: November 23, 2006, 04:57:49 PM »

"The Blues" is a great song definitely, but not as the very first single. 

I agree. The Blues is actually my favorite of the new material we've heard. I liked it the second i heard it back in 2001. I like the newer updated version too. I think it has the potential to be a huge hit, but i don't think it should be the first single. In my opinion, the very first single should be , as i said earlier, a ball busting rocker. Something that shows all the doubters that Axl can still sonically assault you. Then release The Blues as single #2. That's my opinion anyway.
ben9785
« Reply #342 on: November 23, 2006, 05:01:02 PM »

"The Blues" is a great song definitely, but not as the very first single. 

I agree. The Blues is actually my favorite of the new material we've heard. I liked it the second i heard it back in 2001. I like the newer updated version too. I think it has the potential to be a huge hit, but i don't think it should be the first single. In my opinion, the very first single should be , as i said earlier, a ball busting rocker. Something that shows all the doubters that Axl can still sonically assault you. Then release The Blues as single #2. That's my opinion anyway.

Yeah definitely. The singles should kind of complement each other. Start with an all out assaulter, then take it down a notch, something that is still heavy and rocks but with a bit of a different mood, and then that would set the tone for a song like "Madagascar"..
charlesfosterkane
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #343 on: November 23, 2006, 09:45:57 PM »

first single from gnr should be catchy, hard, modern, up tempo... the next one should be a little more tender-- your don't cry, sweet child-- and then the third could be a more complex epic type.
Edward Rose
« Reply #344 on: November 27, 2006, 09:36:50 PM »

I know I'll get shit for this because most fans here think everything should happen in some box-like view of what record companies and bands usually do. But here goes....

How about re-recording and releasing "Civil War" as the first single? Was it ever released as a single during the UYI days? If not, then technically it COULD be released as a single and played heavy on radio rotation. And if you think a song like that wouldn't WANT to be played over and over again by DJ's in our current times, open up a real newspaper and think again. It really is ironic.

Annan : "Iraq almost in a state of civil war" - Hindustan Times - 2 hours ago
http://www.hindustantimes.com/news/181_1854449,00050001.htm

NBC Calls Iraq Conflict 'Civil War' - Washington Post - 2 hours ago
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/11/27/AR2006112701061.html

Smoke rises from an oil installation in Baghdad.
(This may as well be a Live web cam image... it's happening right now)
« Last Edit: November 27, 2006, 09:43:05 PM by Edward Rose » Logged
JimMorrison4
Rocker

« Reply #345 on: November 27, 2006, 09:47:06 PM »

So many reasons why this is a bad idea.

Besides, Civil War is already part of the rotation for many rock stations.
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #346 on: November 27, 2006, 09:50:42 PM »

There has to be an album for there to be a single. Its all fantasy land scenarios until there is concrete proof the album is coming out.

Minneapolisnewsman
« Reply #347 on: November 27, 2006, 09:57:34 PM »

I know I'll get shit for this because most fans here think everything should happen in some box-like view of what record companies and bands usually do. But here goes....

How about re-recording and releasing "Civil War" as the first single? Was it ever released as a single during the UYI days? If not, then technically it COULD be released as a single and played heavy on radio rotation. And if you think a song like that wouldn't WANT to be played over and over again by DJ's in our current times, open up a real newspaper and think again. It really is ironic.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/11/27/AR2006112701061.html

Brilliant, with proceeds going to UN food shipments for the starving children in Iraq (millions of them, many without parents).  How about Chinese Democracy or IRS as a "B" side.  Edward, this would be brilliant, especially around Christmas, and with the awful events unfolding as we speak in the Middle East.  This is a Humanitarian crisis, with two Civil Wars going on right now (Iraq, S. Lebanon), and a possible third in Kurdistan/Turkey. 
misterID
"Enlightened"
Banned
Legend

I did not have sexual relations with that llama

« Reply #348 on: November 27, 2006, 09:59:58 PM »

I'm pretty sure axl said on the Trunk show that they were planning to release Knockin on Heavens Door.

GNR delusion disorder, there is help for you.
http://www.chopaway.com/evolution/forum.php
Minneapolisnewsman
« Reply #349 on: November 27, 2006, 10:03:45 PM »

They should at least start playing it live.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2006, 10:07:22 PM by Minneapolisnewsman » Logged
bigbri
VIP

"I come in peace."

« Reply #350 on: November 27, 2006, 10:09:11 PM »

Hell, we got civil war right here on these forums, we don't need GNR to tell us about it.

MATT-A-REAL-FAN
« Reply #351 on: November 27, 2006, 10:42:38 PM »

Ed...what a dumb idea. Sorry but,it just is. For so many reasons. Here's a couple:

1) THIS album is about THIS music. Not some fuckin' song from 1991,regardless of how apropos it might seem to you. This wouldn't happen for anything. Why release a rehash of some song when you've promised what you've been working on for 10 years?!? Why?!?!?

?2) Any DJ that is playing it now is doing so because it's their pitiful attempt to protest the war in Iraq because radio is so corporate. God forbid anyone say what one is really thinking,only because the other half of the listening public will disagree. "Hey I know! I'll play "Civil War!" That'll show Bush! Haha!" ?Dumb. ?
If this theater was REALLY in a full civil war,we'd all fuckin' know it. There'd be no news about Black Friday shopping,Paris Hilton and Britney Spears hangin' out,Michael Richards apologizing. It'd be the only thing on the news.? Only. NBC,etc. are talking about the possibility. Or should I say,they're HOPING for the possibility. Yes,you read correctly. They want this shit to happen. ?2 reasons: Ratings and it makes Pres. Bush look weaker. Brand it as such and his position will weaken. Period.

3) It was already released as a single. I had the damn thing. The way things happen regarding record companies,is because they have a proven track record with things being done the standard way. The furthest your gonna see them think outside the box will be iTunes. I was hopeful for a turnaround on this matter,i.e.,the "surprise" release but,that doesn't seem feasible and/or seriously considered. I'm sure they'll want maximum exposure/sales.

? ?MATT
Edward Rose
« Reply #352 on: November 27, 2006, 10:58:25 PM »

MATT A REAL FAN
 1) THIS album is about THIS music. Not some fuckin' song from 1991,regardless of how apropos it might seem to you. This wouldn't happen for anything. Why release a rehash of some song when you've promised what you've been working on for 10 years?!? Why?!?!?

"This" album? "This" music? Was "Don't Cry" and KOHD proper for UYI then?

If this theater was REALLY in a full civil war,we'd all fuckin' know it. There'd be no news about Black Friday shopping,Paris Hilton and Britney Spears...

Really? The number of people fleeing Iraq is equal to the Unites States having the entire city of Detroit haul ass every week.

The media?  rofl

I don't even feel the need to argue this. I just had an extra 2 minutes to respond to you while waiting for an important eMail.

The way things happen regarding record companies,is because they have a proven track record with things being done the standard way.

Like bands releasing albums every so often and not waiting 12 years in between? Like bands touring with very little promotion?

The furthest your gonna see them (record companies) think outside the box will be iTunes.

And they had to lose millions first to do that. Real smart those record companies.

In my oppinion, and mine alone, if Axl wanted to re-record and re-release the song it will be done. And you couldn't do anything about it. Maybe that's what really bothers you so much.  hihi
Janabis
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #353 on: November 27, 2006, 11:03:31 PM »

In my oppinion, and mine alone, if Axl wanted to re-record and re-release the song it will be done. And you couldn't do anything about it. Maybe that's what really bothers you so much.? hihi

That still wouldn't make it sensible to release a track from UYI to promote Chinese Democracy, which was the point of the argument.
Bandita
Legend

unbanned

« Reply #354 on: November 27, 2006, 11:04:32 PM »

The worst thing this band could do at this time would be to re-record or re-release previously released material. ?They are already in danger of losing some of the fan base they have left due to delays of CD. ?We don't need GNR to tell us what is going on in Iraq.
fixintodie
« Reply #355 on: November 27, 2006, 11:06:02 PM »

The worst thing this band could do at this time would be to re-record or re-release previously released material. ?They are already in danger of losing some of the fan base they have left due to delays of CD. ?We don't need GNR to tell us what is going on in Iraq.

When are you pulling the troops out of Iraq, George?

"Soon isn't the word."  hihi
Edward Rose
« Reply #356 on: November 27, 2006, 11:09:13 PM »

That still wouldn't make it sensible to release a track from UYI to promote Chinese Democracy, which was the point of the argument.

Obviously it would be done as a wake up call. I assumed everyone would realize that. But that's my biggest problem... I assume too much.

But it's REALLY curious the reaction I get whenever I offer up an idea that's outside the usual box of thinking. There's always a few people who can't handle it. Over at mygnr I couldn't even keep up with the hail of fire that would come from a post like this. (Thank God this place is well moderated)

That's been happening all along though. The "Earth is Flat" people used to be that way. And then there were the people who wouldn't even LOOK into a telescope, and were ready to kill a man for just TALKING about the Earth not being the center of the solar system. Come to find out, not only are we not the center of the solar system, but...

It's all just in good fun though! Of COURSE he's not going to do this.
FOCKER OUT! Wink
« Last Edit: November 27, 2006, 11:11:26 PM by Edward Rose » Logged
JuicySwoos
VIP

Thatwhy

« Reply #357 on: November 27, 2006, 11:10:48 PM »

The first single should be.................................released.

2002- Minneapolis, MN
2006- Ames, IA
2006- Minneapolis, MN
2011- Minneapolis, MN
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Chicago, IL
2017- Minnea
Bandita
Legend

unbanned

« Reply #358 on: November 27, 2006, 11:16:03 PM »

Edward, I see what your point is and while it is noble I am sure you also realize that a band that takes a strong political stand to one side is going to wind up alienating half their fan base. 

GNR were never a "cause" band so for them to become one now would really make no sense, commercially or otherwise.
GNRreunioneventually
Legend

Her-Bert baybay

« Reply #359 on: November 27, 2006, 11:20:15 PM »

actually i think that is a good idea. That could get the fan base to expand to a newer generation and try to show them what "good music" really is. yes

so i say good idea edward ?beer

GNRreunioneventually

Called it Cheesy
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: