Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 03:45:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227936 Posts in 43254 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  Al Gore: An Inconvienient Truth
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Al Gore: An Inconvienient Truth  (Read 24950 times)
Guns N RockMusic
Deer Hunter
Banned
VIP

I'm back baby, old school style

« Reply #40 on: December 04, 2006, 09:16:18 AM »

I think its so tragic that in the face of overwhelming evidence people still try and claim we dont need to do anything

Seems like a significant majority of Americans fall into that group, and as they produce more green houses gases than any other country there really is no hope for the world.

'but doing something would put petrol prices up a dollar - i dont care about tommorow only about me me me'

Again, you and I can afford an extra dollar a gallon/liter, but what about the majority of people?  Public transit doesn't exist in America like it does in most of Europe.  To the person making minimum wage, and extra 15-20 dollars at the pump is something they can't afford.  When you're barely putting food on the table and getting heat for your home, you don't care how dirty that heat is.  You say America pollutes more than any other nation, which is true, but how is your lifestyle any different than mine?  Do you think the reason America may pollute more is because we have more factories and people than any single European nation and almost as many people as the majority of Europe combined.
The Dog
Legend

« Reply #41 on: December 04, 2006, 09:59:47 AM »

I think its so tragic that in the face of overwhelming evidence people still try and claim we dont need to do anything

Seems like a significant majority of Americans fall into that group, and as they produce more green houses gases than any other country there really is no hope for the world.

'but doing something would put petrol prices up a dollar - i dont care about tommorow only about me me me'

Again, you and I can afford an extra dollar a gallon/liter, but what about the majority of people?  Public transit doesn't exist in America like it does in most of Europe.  To the person making minimum wage, and extra 15-20 dollars at the pump is something they can't afford.  When you're barely putting food on the table and getting heat for your home, you don't care how dirty that heat is.  You say America pollutes more than any other nation, which is true, but how is your lifestyle any different than mine?  Do you think the reason America may pollute more is because we have more factories and people than any single European nation and almost as many people as the majority of Europe combined.

Maybe they should just raise the minimum wage and stop giving tax breaks to the filthy rich???  Not only does all that pollution destroy the environment but its extremely unhealthy to breathe in.  The poor people you care about could use some cheap, quality health care too.  Using poor people as a justification for polluting the earth and the air we breathe is pretty silly.  The cost and expense down the road will far out weigh the 15-20 bucks at the pump.

"You're the worst character ever Towelie."
Guns N RockMusic
Deer Hunter
Banned
VIP

« Reply #42 on: December 04, 2006, 10:08:28 AM »

Again, you and I can afford an extra dollar a gallon/liter, but what about the majority of people?? Public transit doesn't exist in America like it does in most of Europe.? To the person making minimum wage, and extra 15-20 dollars at the pump is something they can't afford.? When you're barely putting food on the table and getting heat for your home, you don't care how dirty that heat is.? You say America pollutes more than any other nation, which is true, but how is your lifestyle any different than mine?? Do you think the reason America may pollute more is because we have more factories and people than any single European nation and almost as many people as the majority of Europe combined.

Maybe they should just raise the minimum wage and stop giving tax breaks to the filthy rich?Huh Not only does all that pollution destroy the environment but its extremely unhealthy to breathe in.? The poor people you care about could use some cheap, quality health care too.? Using poor people as a justification for polluting the earth and the air we breathe is pretty silly.? The cost and expense down the road will far out weigh the 15-20 bucks at the pump.

I'm not using them as an excuse.  The poor have a vote in the democratic process too remember?  New laws that would effect them would require their signoff as well.  Without getting into an economical debate, the minimum wage has been raised in most states, but everytime you raise the minimum wage you increase unemployment - that is a fact.  Health care has dick to do with this debate, so why you're bringing it up is beyond me.  Again, you and everyone else here have the luxury to advocate expsenive change (assuming you don't still live with your parents).
The Dog
Legend

« Reply #43 on: December 04, 2006, 10:26:32 AM »

I brought it up b/c it IS effected by global warming, its one of many consequences of global warming and pollution.  Not doing anything about it b/c its going to effect the poor more is not a reason to pollute the planet which effects us all, regardless of your bank account.  healthcare IS an issue when it comes to pollution - do some research on the quality of air in heavy polluted cities like LA.  Then do some reading on how inner city kids suffer from asthma and other lung issues.  it IS a factor.  Doing nothing about it may save those families 30 bucks a month at the pump but it'll cost them thousands when their kids grow up and are coughing up their lungs.

just one of many issues it effects. and it effects us all in many different ways.  the economy is just one aspect of it.

"You're the worst character ever Towelie."
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #44 on: December 04, 2006, 01:38:47 PM »

Again, you and I can afford an extra dollar a gallon/liter, but what about the majority of people?? Public transit doesn't exist in America like it does in most of Europe.? To the person making minimum wage, and extra 15-20 dollars at the pump is something they can't afford.? When you're barely putting food on the table and getting heat for your home, you don't care how dirty that heat is.? You say America pollutes more than any other nation, which is true, but how is your lifestyle any different than mine?? Do you think the reason America may pollute more is because we have more factories and people than any single European nation and almost as many people as the majority of Europe combined.

Maybe they should just raise the minimum wage and stop giving tax breaks to the filthy rich?Huh Not only does all that pollution destroy the environment but its extremely unhealthy to breathe in.? The poor people you care about could use some cheap, quality health care too.? Using poor people as a justification for polluting the earth and the air we breathe is pretty silly.? The cost and expense down the road will far out weigh the 15-20 bucks at the pump.

I do enjoy reading your posts, you beat me to so many points i want to make!!

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #45 on: December 04, 2006, 01:51:15 PM »

Again, you and I can afford an extra dollar a gallon/liter, but what about the majority of people??

Latest figures put average US wage as some 3,000 dollars above average Western European wage....

Public transit doesn't exist in America like it does in most of Europe.

U dont have buses and trains?

To the person making minimum wage, and extra 15-20 dollars at the pump is something they can't afford.

Our petrol prices are double yours - and people here survive.

When you're barely putting food on the table and getting heat for your home, you don't care how dirty that heat is.

Ye gods, we're not talking about the average Sudanese person!

Being poor doesnt make you stupid either

You say America pollutes more than any other nation, which is true, but how is your lifestyle any different than mine?

Well for a start i dont own a car....

I harrass our corrupt officials to do something about the environment, i dont try and make excuses for pollution and deny global warming and i'll accept a hit in the pocket for genuine measures to help the environment

Do you think the reason America may pollute more is because we have more factories and people than any single European nation and almost as many people as the majority of Europe combined.

You know as well as I the story the various figures give, its of America producing a level of pollution far more its quota, one report suggested 40% of the worlds man made co2.....

Quick! To the bandwagon!
SLCPUNK
« Reply #46 on: December 04, 2006, 01:59:43 PM »

Again, you and I can afford an extra dollar a gallon/liter, but what about the majority of people? 

You are sticking to one small argument and ignoring the rest.

Conserving energy does not cost you money, it saves you money.

If everybody set the thermostat 3 degrees higher in the summer how much would that save overall? Energy consumption and money?

If people were more conscious about turning off lights, TVs, etc how much energy would that save?

Spare us this "they can't afford it" load of crap. Everybody can do their part, some different than others. If you are poor, or lower income scale you can still "afford" to do things to save energy, even if it is little as keeping a careful eye on your energy consumption while at home or driving.

My buddy lives by himself and is incredible wasteful. He leaves lights on, TVs on, fans on (when not at home) and has his ac set at 65 degrees in the summer. His electric bill for a 2/1 700 sq ft apt is about 210 bucks a month. I'd define him as "working class poor."

On the other hand I have a 2000 sq ft (small by today?s standards) 4/2 pool home in the same climate. I always turn off lights when I leave the room, always shut down the computer when not in use, set my thermo at 79 in the summer which is very comfortable. I also never run major appliances at the same time. The dryer is never on at the same time as the washer is. Same with the dishwasher, and same with the hot water heater. All this with two kids, two dogs and two adults. My electric bill? 149 bucks a month in the summer!

That cost me no money, in fact it saved me money as my neighbors electric bills soared close to 300 a month. This is before installing any type of energy saving windows, solar panels, or anything. It is all about being conscious and aware of saving energy making that much of a difference. If it adds up that much on an individual basis, how much would it add up with our population that is into the hundreds of millions?

Sure the poor can't afford to buy hybrids (right now) but just adjusting your driving style can save you in the area of 10 percent on fuel consumption. Just having correct air in your tires is another 10 percent. Having a cheap tune up (plugs and air filter) adds yet another increase to fuel efficiency.

So spare me the fake argument that poor people can't do anything here. We all can just on different levels, quit making excuses and do your part.
Bandita
Legend

unbanned

« Reply #47 on: December 04, 2006, 02:19:53 PM »

So bascially what you are saying, SLC, is that common sense procedures can help the environment.

I can see how some on here might have troubles with that! hihi
Guns N RockMusic
Deer Hunter
Banned
VIP

« Reply #48 on: December 04, 2006, 02:22:24 PM »

I am doing my part to help the environment.  I crank my AC down to 50 degrees and leave all my windows and doors open so I help combat global warming.  I also always leave my water running so my pipes don't get rusted, forcing me to buy new ones that utilize earth's precious resources.
SLCPUNK
« Reply #49 on: December 04, 2006, 03:11:38 PM »

So bascially what you are saying, SLC, is that common sense procedures can help the environment.

I can see how some on here might have troubles with that! hihi

LOL.

In all seriousness, absolutely!

Just because somebody can't run out and buy a hybrid doesn't mean they can not do their part to cut down on overall energy consumption. We should do it now before it becomes mandatory one day.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #50 on: December 04, 2006, 04:29:12 PM »

79 Degrees in the summer in Florida....................... Remind me to never visit and stay at your place. hihi

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Mama Kin
VIP

It's Just a Ride

« Reply #51 on: December 04, 2006, 07:54:31 PM »

I guarentee you will turn your thermostat down a little, and shut off lights more often, and think about getting abetter MPG car

I gurantee I will not.

Learn to swim, I'll see you down in Arizona Bay
Mama Kin
VIP

It's Just a Ride

« Reply #52 on: December 04, 2006, 07:59:54 PM »

Let's not confuse this terrifying  "end of the world" scenarios with "end of mankind".....the planet is not going anywhere folks......we are.....The planet will exist for at least another 6.9 billion years.....mankind will not......sad but true.....

SLCPUNK
« Reply #53 on: December 04, 2006, 08:02:02 PM »

I guarentee you will turn your thermostat down a little, and shut off lights more often, and think about getting abetter MPG car

I gurantee I will not.

Yea, fuck everybody else, huh?
Mama Kin
VIP

It's Just a Ride

« Reply #54 on: December 04, 2006, 08:06:38 PM »

I gurantee I will not.

Yea, fuck everybody else, huh?

Yea, produce a single shred of non-government funded evidence proving global warming even exists, I'll turn the thermostat down a degree. The Earth goes thru periods of extreme warming and cooling, we're still in a fucking ice age, people. It's called the "Little Ice Age". The polar ice caps weren't always there and won't always be there, they're gonna melt whether I drive a gas powered car or not. That's the reality. Global Warming, like the dangers of second-hand smoke, were found after they did studies intended to find global warming and second hand smoke. Even when evidence for both came up short, they changed the perimeters of the experiments to reach their predetermined conclusions. In other words they started with, "The Earth is wamring due to humans" and "second hand smoke kills" and worked backwards until they got it. No bi-partisan evidence of either has ever been proven.

SLCPUNK
« Reply #55 on: December 04, 2006, 08:13:01 PM »

Read anything lately?Huh

I mean, what are you insinuating here?

« Last Edit: December 04, 2006, 08:17:21 PM by SLCPUNK » Logged
Bandita
Legend

unbanned

« Reply #56 on: December 04, 2006, 08:24:23 PM »

Read anything lately?Huh

I mean, what are you insinuating here?

I think he is insinuating that second hand smoke is good for you and Global Warming is government fueled propaganda. Roll Eyes

So kiddies, smoke em if you got em!!!
Mama Kin
VIP

It's Just a Ride

« Reply #57 on: December 04, 2006, 10:11:12 PM »

Yeah, read the report on second-second smoke effects that was issued, which stated right in it there was no cause and effect. Remember when all the stuff was on C-Span about second-hand smoke? Every last country which issued a report declared they could find no cause and effect, except Canada, which switched the paraimeters of their experiments.

Also, check out Penn & Teller's Bullshit episodes on Second Hand Smoke, recycling, and enviromental hysteria (3 different episodes) as well.

Guns N RockMusic
Deer Hunter
Banned
VIP

« Reply #58 on: December 04, 2006, 10:53:44 PM »

Fuckin A!  Mama Kin.  I love that show.  I have the first 3 seasons on DVD and show them to everyone
The Chad Cometh
Mike Stewart is God
VIP

Don't think Axl! Makes my dick itch!

« Reply #59 on: December 04, 2006, 11:43:20 PM »

Have a look at this ...

I'd be interested to hear any thoughts as to why any significant rise in CO2 concentration in the atmosphere is preceded by a corresponding temperature rise.
If you're correct in pushing the global warming theory SLCPUNK, shouldn't there be a rise in temp after a rise in CO2?

I was living to the best of my ability, now I'm living in correctional facility
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: