Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 02:36:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228064 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  Tipping....Am I in the wrong here?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tipping....Am I in the wrong here?  (Read 12872 times)
The Dog
Legend

« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2006, 02:52:36 PM »

This thread reminds me of an awesome +LIVE+ song......

come on baby leave some change behind
she was a bitch, but I don't care
she brought our food out on time
and wore a funky barrette in her hair

come on baby leave some change behind
she was a bitch but good enough
to leave some change,
everybody's good enough for some change

the girl's got family
she needs cash to buy aspirin for her pain,
everybody's good enough for some change

we all get the flu,
we all get aids
we've got to stick together after all,
everybody's good enough for some change,
SOME FUCKING CHANGE!!!

"You're the worst character ever Towelie."
Where is Hassan Nasrallah ?
Coco
Legend

S?gol?ne Royal

« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2006, 02:57:30 PM »

if they dont like their jobs they can become an executive at microsoft or something like a sniper.

Guns N RockMusic
Deer Hunter
Banned
VIP

I'm back baby, old school style

« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2006, 03:17:02 PM »

if they dont like their jobs they can become an executive at microsoft or something like a sniper.

that's what I did
Bandita
Legend

unbanned

« Reply #43 on: December 05, 2006, 04:15:08 PM »

I just can't believe that they can make people work for $2.83/hr.? That is insane!? Well, once tips come in, you go over minimum, but what if there's a storm or something and you get no customers?? You're working for below minimum wage, which is illegal.? Here, they have to pay you minimum wage and whatever you make in tips is extra.

If a storm comes in and you get no customers you still have to work for $2.83 an hour.  In most restaurants, the wait staff have other chores besides waiting on tables for when times are slow.  Filling Ketchup bottles, wrapping up silverware, etc....It's called sidework and it sucks because you know you are only getting $2.83 an hour to do it.  To add insult to injury most restaurants also will "cut" you depending on how slow business is-meaning they will send you home early so you aren't even getting the crappy $2.83 an hour.  It's a tough industry because most money is made when people are out having fun on Friday and Saturday nights.  When I did this for a living more than a decade ago I would take on extra shifts on busy nights running food to tables because they raised the wage to $5.15 for that plus I got a portion of everyone's tips for helping out.  I wound up working sometimes 60-70 hours a week just to make decent money.  On top of the fact that you have to listen to everyone's complaint even if it isn't your fault-such as someone's food not being cooked right, etc....

It's a thankless job, since I did it I really sympathize with those who do and I always leave excellent tips.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #44 on: December 05, 2006, 04:25:46 PM »

The 2 bucks an hour thing should be thrown out the window, on both sides. I don't mean as an hourly wage either. I mean the argument that a waiter "only" makes that per hour. Waiters in denny's type places will make around 5-10 bucks an hour (tips-not counting the hourly wage) while waiters in high end establishments can make 30-40 (or even higher) bucks an hour (not counting the hourly wage). What they get paid per hour goes straight to the IRS most times.

A waiter gets paid based on what they sell, that's what they get paid. Bartenders tend to make even more money and can easily hit 70-100k a year in the right places (working less than 40 hours a week.)

Yes Yes and that is why I am getting ready to attend Bartending school. what a great profession! ok

How about Pizza Delivery guys. How much do u guys usually tip?

I usually go about 2 bucks which may be kind of cheap............. nervous

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
SLCPUNK
« Reply #45 on: December 05, 2006, 04:41:29 PM »

Bartender school is a waste of time. Don't do it.

Pizza guys? Forget it.
Bill 213
Legend

The buck stops here!

« Reply #46 on: December 05, 2006, 05:02:00 PM »

The 2 bucks an hour thing should be thrown out the window, on both sides. I don't mean as an hourly wage either. I mean the argument that a waiter "only" makes that per hour. Waiters in denny's type places will make around 5-10 bucks an hour (tips-not counting the hourly wage) while waiters in high end establishments can make 30-40 (or even higher) bucks an hour (not counting the hourly wage). What they get paid per hour goes straight to the IRS most times.

A waiter gets paid based on what they sell, that's what they get paid. Bartenders tend to make even more money and can easily hit 70-100k a year in the right places (working less than 40 hours a week.)

Yes Yes and that is why I am getting ready to attend Bartending school. what a great profession! ok

How about Pizza Delivery guys. How much do u guys usually tip?

I usually go about 2 bucks which may be kind of cheap............. nervous

Fuck that......2 bucks is plenty.  They just drive a pizza to your house.  It's not brain surgery.  If they bitch about using their own vehicle, then too bad for them.  I could understand if they deliver a pizza like 10 miles away, but if it's in town, I usually just give a dollar.

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #47 on: December 05, 2006, 05:11:20 PM »

Bartender school is a waste of time. Don't do it.

Pizza guys? Forget it.

Bartending is hard to get into unless u work your way up in a bar.

U go to school every saturday for 5 weeks and they teach u everything plus they have job placement, Id say its worth it..........

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Cornell
Nice to you
Legend

« Reply #48 on: December 05, 2006, 06:00:04 PM »

What about when you eat at a buffet?  You go and get your own food and drink.  Undecided

Why don't you just....
Bill 213
Legend

The buck stops here!

« Reply #49 on: December 05, 2006, 06:05:19 PM »

What about when you eat at a buffet?? You go and get your own food and drink.? Undecided

I usually just leave a dollar at buffets.  I mean good lord...someone seats you and gets you a glass of water and you're expected to pay them for their excellent services rendered. 

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Bandita
Legend

unbanned

« Reply #50 on: December 05, 2006, 06:37:02 PM »

What about when you eat at a buffet?? You go and get your own food and drink.? Undecided

I usually just leave a dollar at buffets.? I mean good lord...someone seats you and gets you a glass of water and you're expected to pay them for their excellent services rendered.?

The tip etiquette guide says this:

Buffet-lines or cafeterias - Nothing. If there is a person who comes around and keeps your tea glass full, tip him personally $1-2.

http://www.findalink.net/tippingetiquette.php
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #51 on: December 05, 2006, 08:28:08 PM »

Well, since I don't go out to bars and such (I'm not 21) the only people I can tip are pizza guys and waiters/waitresses at eateries.

Remember The Golden Rule.  It can go a long way.  yes
jazjme
Can't get over the past? Let me be your guide!
Legend

...ABSURD!!

« Reply #52 on: December 05, 2006, 10:11:57 PM »

I work as a waiter, here in NYC,,and bandita has made a lot of good points, and as well as SLC. 

Ive been reading this thread and Bill213 , you sound like a real ass.lol. (and if ever I waited on you and you left nothing, Id laugh anyway expecting it). See one thing you learn working in the service industry is how to read people and know whats up, Why do you think  so many actors and famous musicians and writters and stuff, all mostly had at one time or another a job in the service industry.

ME I made $700 in 3 days and 30 hrs , of work. And IT is fucking work when you work in midtown manhattan at a fucking TGI Fidays. Its no walk in the park, but I guess I make better tips cause Im on point and attentive to people Im serving, and there are times when shit happens out of my control, like the kitchen gets in the weeds, or the food runner didn't run all the food, or that drink I rang in never got to the bartender. IN those cases I have to eal with it, and really try hard to make my guests(as that what they are to me when they are in my section), feel good, and in the know. Some people think its just about bringing out shit to a table a drink or walking to them thier food. ITs so much more , if I expect to make money , I also expect that I do my best to do so.

When I am having a bad day , I never let it show to guests, if anything  I work harder,. I fI cant I dont bother working that day, I call out. tips are just that , gratuity, my restaurant , adds 18% to parties of 6 or more. Its not mandatory! As a Guest you don't HAVE to pay that, if you feel service was not up to snuff for you. Tips are based on sales as SLC said. And yes I have to tip out the bartender, adn busboys, and food runner, at the end of the night.

I had a party of 5 , out of towner's, they rang up 200$  in food and drink. if gratuity woulda been in place it woulda amounted to 30$ in tip .

They left me 70$, why? cause I worked for it, they were my guests, and I made sure all was well throughout their time . So it really comes down to, tiping on the value you feel someone in service did for you. ME I always tip 20%to almost all service, even shitty servers, . thats just me cause I have done and been in this business, for many yrs.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2006, 11:04:50 PM by jazjme » Logged

10.16.87 10.23.87 10.30.87 1.31.88 2.2.88 5.9.88 8.16.88 9.15.88
6.17.91 12.9.91 12.10.91,12.13.91
7.18.92 12.5.02 5.12.06 5.14.06 5.15.06 5.17.06 11.17.11 2.10.12 2.15.12
11.9.12 11.10.12 5.24.14
Back Off Bitch
VIP

Fritz Lang

« Reply #53 on: December 05, 2006, 10:25:29 PM »

Yeah, bill213, you're one cheap son of a gun... lol

12.10.91 Madison Square Garden
05.12.06 Hammerstein Ballroom
05.14.06 Hammerstein Ballroom
11.10.06 Madison Square Garden
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #54 on: December 05, 2006, 10:25:40 PM »

Domino's charges a $1.50 "delivery fee."
Bill 213
Legend

The buck stops here!

« Reply #55 on: December 05, 2006, 10:39:10 PM »

Yeah, bill213, you're one cheap son of a gun... lol

Haha, no no.......read my initial post...I used to tip heavily.? This bad experience with this waitress who harrassed me by running out and demanding we tip her because she only makes $2.83 an hour and she has to live off those tips.? I've tipped her before and plenty.? My friend and I were drunk and were involved in a heavy conversation and when we paid our checks I didn't even think to write anything on the slip, I just signed it not even thinking.? When she came running out the door and screamed "Hey, Is there a reason you guys stiffed me?", I asked her what she was talking about, we paid our bills.? That's when she said "well you guys didn't leave a tip."? At this moment I was like oh shit okay, my bad we'll hook you up, but then she blurts in very rudely with, "I only make $2.83 an hour and I have to live off tips."? This is what set me off......As I said before, I don't give a shit that she has chosen to work this job, I just go to that place to drink beer and eat.? People make mistakes and this was mine and I would have gladly corrected it had she not tried to put me on some guilt trip for her horrible salary.?

Now this has put my whole view of tipping into a new perspective........call me HTGTH's George Costanza!!!!? hihi

« Last Edit: December 05, 2006, 10:43:48 PM by bill213 » Logged

jazjme
Can't get over the past? Let me be your guide!
Legend

...ABSURD!!

« Reply #56 on: December 05, 2006, 11:02:02 PM »

that  I admire in  you! LOL

10.16.87 10.23.87 10.30.87 1.31.88 2.2.88 5.9.88 8.16.88 9.15.88
6.17.91 12.9.91 12.10.91,12.13.91
7.18.92 12.5.02 5.12.06 5.14.06 5.15.06 5.17.06 11.17.11 2.10.12 2.15.12
11.9.12 11.10.12 5.24.14
SLCPUNK
« Reply #57 on: December 06, 2006, 01:57:36 AM »

Bartending is hard to get into unless u work your way up in a bar.

U go to school every saturday for 5 weeks and they teach u everything plus they have job placement, Id say its worth it..........

If you think it is worth it then do it. Everybody I knew who did it back in their 20's thought it was a waste of time and money.
Mama Kin
VIP

It's Just a Ride

« Reply #58 on: December 06, 2006, 03:02:39 AM »

There's a place around here called Pita Pit. They have a little jar at the front with the very clever line, "what's pita backwards??? A Tip!!!" Hooray...what's blow me backwards???

Not everyone deserves a fuckin' tip....tipping is for waiters, bathroom attendants and strippers only.

Learn to swim, I'll see you down in Arizona Bay
SLCPUNK
« Reply #59 on: December 06, 2006, 03:09:08 AM »

I despise tip jars by registers, or take out windows........tacky.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: