Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 03:27:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228065 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  Tipping....Am I in the wrong here?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tipping....Am I in the wrong here?  (Read 12875 times)
Oddy
Drama Qween?
VIP

Some people just don't know how to ride a bike

« Reply #60 on: December 06, 2006, 03:29:46 AM »

in australia theres sometimes a tip jar at the bar.

it usually gets a glass full of 5c coins.

probably coming to a grand total of $1.35

Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #61 on: December 06, 2006, 03:32:08 AM »

in australia theres sometimes a tip jar at the bar.

it usually gets a glass full of 5c coins.

probably coming to a grand total of $1.35

Of course half of that $1.35 was likely put in by the bartender to make it look like everybody is tipping.   hihi
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #62 on: December 06, 2006, 03:33:50 AM »

Fuck Eazy thats a great idea, when I start as a bartender Im gonna have to do that! ok

SLC why did they say it was a waste of time and money?

This place I am thinking of attending seem legit and they have job placement.

I know nothing about making drinks so I pretty much have to go somewhere to learn.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
SLCPUNK
« Reply #63 on: December 06, 2006, 03:50:48 AM »

It's not that they are not legit. They are. But bartending is something that comes with practice. I don't want to tell you what to do. Just do what you think is right.

When you bartend you always make the same 9 drinks anyway............ hihi

When I was about 22 I bartended in this busy dance club in Tampa. The place was packed most nights. If I didn't know what a drink was I'd just put vodka in it and make the shit blue.  hihi I made the mistake once of asking somebody what was in the drink they ordered (some stupid name like "blue sperm whale".) They said "you are the bartender, you tell me!"   So right then was when my little trick was born. Here ya go!
Mama Kin
VIP

It's Just a Ride

« Reply #64 on: December 06, 2006, 03:51:23 AM »

Tipping is also for bartenders...slip him some bills after you order your first drink and he'll keep ya watered ok

Learn to swim, I'll see you down in Arizona Bay
Oddy
Drama Qween?
VIP

« Reply #65 on: December 06, 2006, 09:50:01 AM »

hey D in australia most bartenders dont go to a school.

they do a 1 day course and get their RSA (responsible service of alcohol certificate).

then they apply for a bartending position. hopefully get it. even if its a small place to start out and doesnt require experience.

from there thats where they learn almost everything. like SLC said bartending comes with practice. its better to learn all the stuff on site and gain experience.

i'd imagine the same thing would be possible in US.

i dunno, find some people that have taken the course and ask what they thought of it and if it was helpful.
Bill 213
Legend

The buck stops here!

« Reply #66 on: December 06, 2006, 11:52:09 AM »

It's not that they are not legit. They are. But bartending is something that comes with practice. I don't want to tell you what to do. Just do what you think is right.

When you bartend you always make the same 9 drinks anyway............ hihi

When I was about 22 I bartended in this busy dance club in Tampa. The place was packed most nights. If I didn't know what a drink was I'd just put vodka in it and make the shit blue.? hihi I made the mistake once of asking somebody what was in the drink they ordered (some stupid name like "blue sperm whale".) They said "you are the bartender, you tell me!"? ?So right then was when my little trick was born. Here ya go!

Not too long ago my friend and I were at a bar and it was a super busy Monday night (it's right next to our college and a few 21st b-day parties were going on).  Anyhow for shits and giggles my friend and I ordered a few Irish Car Bombs for ourselves (Jamesons, Baileys, Guinness) and then the groups of college kids caught on and they wanted to start doing them.  Well the young girl who was bartending was skimping them a shot of Jameson's because she was lazy.  She even told us later because she knew I was watching and that she was tired of making them drinks (Geez goes back to that super service eh!).  Anyhow the college kids were far too drunk to realize that they'd been bamboozled and they were charged full price.
I always make it a habit to watch what goes into my drink.  I got screwed one time and I caught the person and said something and they tried to play it off like they didn't know how to make it.

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
VIP

« Reply #67 on: December 06, 2006, 12:51:20 PM »

I do not tip.

Because.

We don't do that.

In the north of Europe.
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #68 on: December 06, 2006, 01:10:49 PM »

Just remember, "you get what you give."

When me and my Dad were in 'Frisco, between the two of us, we probably gave out  50 dollars to the homeless, and when we got home, there is a note from the bank saying they had been charging my Dad to much income tax the last 2 years, and also enclosed was a check for just over $50 Smiley

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
Casey Shelton
« Reply #69 on: December 06, 2006, 08:24:10 PM »

If you frequent a place that has a tip jar then drop a buck in once a week or once every 5 visits.  Like Starbucks. That biz was built on awesome service.  That shit is like my drug or bad habit.  I've charged like 30 bucks already this month of foo-foo drinks.  I usually get straight up black coffee but Ive had a serious taste for lattes and mochas. 

If you drop one in the tip jar, make sure they see you drop it cuz if they dont its like it doesn't count. 

When dining start at 20%. If its good service leave a 20% tip.  If its below par, drop it to like 15%.  For incredible fill your drink without asking, dont leave you sitting there when its bill time type service, go above and beyond.
Bill 213
Legend

The buck stops here!

« Reply #70 on: December 06, 2006, 10:49:39 PM »

If you frequent a place that has a tip jar then drop a buck in once a week or once every 5 visits.? Like Starbucks. That biz was built on awesome service.? That shit is like my drug or bad habit.? I've charged like 30 bucks already this month of foo-foo drinks.? I usually get straight up black coffee but Ive had a serious taste for lattes and mochas.?

If you drop one in the tip jar, make sure they see you drop it cuz if they dont its like it doesn't count.?

When dining start at 20%. If its good service leave a 20% tip.? If its below par, drop it to like 15%.? For incredible fill your drink without asking, dont leave you sitting there when its bill time type service, go above and beyond.

To you it doens't count, because you don't get that "Wow I just saved the world feeling."  To the person who keeps the tips, it doesn't matter.  So your view on tipping is that it makes YOU feel good?  Interesting to hear that side of it though, no one's even brought that up yet.

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
jc524
Rocker

I should have known you're crazy

« Reply #71 on: December 07, 2006, 12:44:21 AM »

I've never understood tipping.

Why tip at one restaurant and not another?

Surely people work just as hard at McDonalds, why don't you tip there?

Fucked up and out of place
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #72 on: December 07, 2006, 01:21:11 AM »

Nice picture sig Bill.  Grin
polluxlm
Mennesker Er Dumme
Legend

« Reply #73 on: December 07, 2006, 01:28:10 AM »

Tipping is a scam invented by the restaurant owners. This way they can pay lower salaries. Why should I give somebody extra money? I'm not being served in any other fuckin place employing a human?

But of course, I tip. You have to, right........but I'm seriously contemplating giving it up. Fuck em. Go suck off a John if you can't pay the bills. Not my problem.

Ah, mere infantry. Poor beggars.

GN'R Tour Overview 1984-2007
Bill 213
Legend

The buck stops here!

« Reply #74 on: December 07, 2006, 01:29:54 AM »

Mwahahahahahaha.......welcome to the dark side everybody.  I've started a revolution!!! NO TIPPING EVER AGAIN!

Where is Hassan Nasrallah ?
Coco
Legend

S?gol?ne Royal

« Reply #75 on: December 07, 2006, 01:53:44 AM »

If you frequent a place that has a tip jar then drop a buck in once a week or once every 5 visits.? Like Starbucks. That biz was built on awesome service.? That shit is like my drug or bad habit.? I've charged like 30 bucks already this month of foo-foo drinks.? I usually get straight up black coffee but Ive had a serious taste for lattes and mochas.?

If you drop one in the tip jar, make sure they see you drop it cuz if they dont its like it doesn't count.?

When dining start at 20%. If its good service leave a 20% tip.? If its below par, drop it to like 15%.? For incredible fill your drink without asking, dont leave you sitting there when its bill time type service, go above and beyond.

To you it doens't count, because you don't get that "Wow I just saved the world feeling."  To the person who keeps the tips, it doesn't matter.  So your view on tipping is that it makes YOU feel good?  Interesting to hear that side of it though, no one's even brought that up yet.

george ..... calzone Smiley

Bill 213
Legend

The buck stops here!

« Reply #76 on: December 07, 2006, 02:12:12 AM »

To you it doens't count, because you don't get that "Wow I just saved the world feeling."? To the person who keeps the tips, it doesn't matter.? So your view on tipping is that it makes YOU feel good?? Interesting to hear that side of it though, no one's even brought that up yet.

george ..... calzone Smiley

Hahahahaha YES!!!!  How could I have forgotten that episode.  It was a classic.  The tip jar at it's finest!

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #77 on: December 07, 2006, 02:13:32 AM »

they do a 1 day course and get their RSA (responsible service of alcohol certificate).

then they apply for a bartending position. hopefully get it. even if its a small place to start out and doesnt require experience.

from there thats where they learn almost everything. like SLC said bartending comes with practice. its better to learn all the stuff on site and gain experience.

i dunno, find some people that have taken the course and ask what they thought of it and if it was helpful.

The school Im gonna attend is a bar.

The classroom is working behind a bar but its a class.

U dont sit at a desk and read textbooks, U are actually behind the bar workin on the craft.

Everything from making the drinks, to taking people's orders, to serving them etc etc etc.

Plus like I said, they are a pretty big time school, so having that on an application would be a big deal. they also have job placement and like the lady told me...... Bartenders dont stay unemployed.

they make great money, its perfect hours for my nocturnal lifestyle. Also my Long Hair and Tattoos arent a detriment. they are welcome.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Oddy
Drama Qween?
VIP

« Reply #78 on: December 07, 2006, 02:33:37 AM »

The school Im gonna attend is a bar.

The classroom is working behind a bar but its a class.

U dont sit at a desk and read textbooks, U are actually behind the bar workin on the craft.

Everything from making the drinks, to taking people's orders, to serving them etc etc etc.

Plus like I said, they are a pretty big time school, so having that on an application would be a big deal. they also have job placement and like the lady told me...... Bartenders dont stay unemployed.

they make great money, its perfect hours for my nocturnal lifestyle. Also my Long Hair and Tattoos arent a detriment. they are welcome.

sounds cool then man go for it i say ok

tell me how it goes.

i want to become a bartender. its the only sort of place i could get a job because i have long hair etc etc.

and im completely nocturnal.
Mama Kin
VIP

It's Just a Ride

« Reply #79 on: December 07, 2006, 02:47:14 AM »

I've never understood tipping.

Why tip at one restaurant and not another?

Surely people work just as hard at McDonalds, why don't you tip there?

Because at McDonald's they're not waiting on me, I'm waiting on them.

Learn to swim, I'll see you down in Arizona Bay
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: