Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 02:55:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227784 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Alice In Chains
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 34 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Alice In Chains  (Read 209300 times)
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #320 on: September 16, 2009, 05:35:52 PM »

WOW thanks for posting this. ok

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #321 on: September 17, 2009, 02:47:13 PM »

Here is an interview with Jerry Cantrell and William DuVall with Toronto's 102.1 the Edge prior to the show at The Opera House on the 15th.  They talk in part about how they got Elton John to play on the album and recording with him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATJF-J7t-Og

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #322 on: September 17, 2009, 08:12:30 PM »

Here is an interview with Jerry Cantrell:

Alice in Chains Reloaded

September 15, 2009

By Tim Mohr

The history of rock is littered with bands unable to overcome the death of a frontman. Just think of the Doors, Thin Lizzy or Nirvana. When Nirvana?s Kurt Cobain died in 1994, there was no question the band was finished. When Mother Love Bone?s Andrew Wood died, the core members were able to find a comfortable fit with a guy named Eddie Vedder. They changed their name to Pearl Jam and the rest is part of Seattle legend. Another Seattle band, Alice in Chains, sold 17 million records before frontman Layne Staley passed away in 2002. But since the band?s guitarist, Jerry Cantrell, was the main songwriter and harmonized on vocals with Staley (in some cases taking lead), the band?s future?or lack thereof?was never clear cut. This month, the otherwise intact band returns with Black Gives Way To Blue, featuring new vocalist William DuVall harmonizing in Staley?s stead with Jerry Cantrell.

?Here?s what I believe,? says Cantrell. ?Shit fucking happens. That?s rule one. Everybody walking the planet knows that. Rule two: things rarely turn out the way you planned. Three: everybody gets knocked down. Four, and most important of all: after you take those shots, it?s time to stand up and walk on?to continue to live. We have a lot to live for, a lot to celebrate and a lot of great music in us still.?

The proof of that is on the album. Churning, sea-sick guitar riffs alternate with more contemplative Jar of Flies-like sounds; lyrics explore death, self-doubt and isolation; Elton John turns up to play piano on the Staley tribute title song. In short, with Black Gives Way to Blue, Alice in Chains has made its Back in Black. We talked to Cantrell about the band?s recorded resurrection.

PLAYBOY: It?s a risk bringing back such an iconic band. What made you want to give it a try?

CANTRELL: This whole thing was a fucking gamble from the start. We had some great memories and killer music that not only satisfied us but a lot of fans. But we?ve also had the downside of having lost our best friend and the band coming to an end. We?ve been through all of that. Early on, I don?t think anybody was into the idea outside of us. We wanted to take the shot and see how it felt, see if something was there. And the answer was yes. Yes in a big way.

PLAYBOY: What about the specifics?was there a moment when you knew it felt right and you had to do this?

CANTRELL: It all started with a benefit concert we did?strictly to raise money for tsunami victims. We had a lot of fun doing that?and it was a really intense experience because it was the first time we had played without Layne. So while it was good, it was also pretty heavy. After we did that, it led to us playing some more together, exploring ideas and jamming. We did that with a lot of friends. William was a friend of mine and I?ve had a lot of time to jam with him. I invited him down and the guys ended up digging him. It was a step-by-step process. As far as when it felt right, I can?t tell you when that happened. We?ve been working together since 2006 and every step of the way has felt right enough to continue.

PLAYBOY: Are you worried about how people will react?

CANTRELL: Something that bugged me about Seattle was that they wanted you to do good, but not too good. That attitude was there in the music scene, too. Rockstar was a dirty fucking word. But what the fuck do you get into a band for if not to make some great fucking music and take it as far as you can? To reach as many people as possible all over the fucking world? That?s the goal?or at least it was for me. But in Seattle, being totally successful was like a bad thing.

PLAYBOY: Success didn?t work for everyone in the scene.

CANTRELL: I guess if you look at the reality, maybe for some people it was a bad thing, including Layne. And Kurt Cobain and Andrew Wood. You have to swallow that, too?a lot of shit happened. I?m proud of what went down, but I miss all those guys. But that?s part of life. People die. We have a finite existence.

PLAYBOY: It seems that Layne?s presence is still very much felt on the record. Is that fair to say?

CANTRELL: Layne?s always going to be in there. He was such a unique guy musically. We met each other when we were really young and we developed this sound together. That?s pretty much all I?ve ever known. Definitely in the vocal and writing style, although he?s no longer with us, he?s still there. Fuck yeah. I?m proud of that fact. It?s important to me. It?s important for us to honor the man. But it?s also important for us to realize that there?s a lot left to do and that we?re still here?to honor ourselves as well, to take a shot. If it doesn?t work out, we just go back to the way it was before. Fuck it.

PLAYBOY: How will you gauge the success of this comeback?

CANTRELL: Benchmarks are quite a bit lower, eh? Even if the record doesn?t do well, we?ve already proved something to ourselves. It?s a clich? to say it?s already a success to have gotten it to this point, but it?s fucking true.

PLAYBOY: Have you thought about your next steps?

CANTRELL: Here?s the bad news, kid: There is no fucking manual. Jesus, none of us thought we?d be sitting where we are today. We?ve just made it up as we?ve gone along. We?ll see where it goes. But we?re looking forward to making a few records.

CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #323 on: September 17, 2009, 08:21:21 PM »

thenkz, they had a pretty good "short film" on their myspace too
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #324 on: September 17, 2009, 08:50:52 PM »

thenkz, they had a pretty good "short film" on their myspace too

Thanks that is good.

http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendId=48972946&blogId=510597275

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #325 on: September 18, 2009, 02:14:05 AM »

Apparently the album has leaked.

Chief
Legend

« Reply #326 on: September 18, 2009, 02:22:24 AM »

Ok that is really great... loved watching it. thanks!!!

always like the interview segments and how they're dealing with post Layne.

"That game was gay on gay violence!"

Visit my GNR site Welcome to the Jungle:
http://qfg2.info/gnr.html
metallex78
Legend

vicarious existance is a fucking waste of time

« Reply #327 on: September 18, 2009, 11:53:25 AM »

That video is great, they're talking so seriously throughout about the heavy stuff they were going through while recording the album, all the while having Kiss makeup applied. And when they're done, they all head out to a laundromat do their washing...  rofl

Great to see they haven't lost their sense of humour. ok

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2007!!!
23 June Sydney @ Acer Arena
24 June Sydney @ Acer Arena

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2013!!!
17 March Melbourne @ Sidney Myer Music Bowl
Verse Chorus Verse
Legend

It's here!

« Reply #328 on: September 18, 2009, 11:02:46 PM »

That video is great, they're talking so seriously throughout about the heavy stuff they were going through while recording the album, all the while having Kiss makeup applied. And when they're done, they all head out to a laundromat do their washing...  rofl

Great to see they haven't lost their sense of humour. ok
If anything, their sense of humor has gotten better.

Louis Landon for Peace in Iraq
"This is the new Guns 'n Roses, deal with it or get off the planet."
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #329 on: September 19, 2009, 02:39:24 PM »

Here are a few of the new songs performed live in Detroit on the 17th (partials)...

"Check My Brain"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhCk2hRSq_c

"A Looking In View"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZP2rLtksKwI

"Acid Bubble"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bK4xoAzIIFc

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #330 on: September 20, 2009, 02:18:32 PM »

Jerry Cantrell comments on the album leak...

So why was the bus ride to Chicago so somber?

Because as most of you already know, the album has leaked.

We all knew this was coming, but it was a big disappointment to the guys, especially when they saw how many sites and how many torrents were flying around out there.

The R rated wisdom of Jerry Cantrell summed it up best I think.

I?m paraphrasing here, but he basically compared having your album illegally downloaded to prison rape.

?You know it?s coming. You know it?s gonna suck, but until it actually happens, you have no idea how bad it?s gonna feel.?

No one in this band is na?ve, and I think they?ve all been holding their breath since March wondering when this day would come, but the reality sank in on that bus ride last night, and it wasn?t fun.

Tape trading and people making copies of records has been going on forever, and online downloading is obviously nothing new. And as I?ve read on the boards here, tons of people who have downloaded it will go out and buy it on the 29th, or have already pre-ordered it.

However, tons of people won?t, and despite how pervasive and accepted downloading might be, try walking into a Best Buy or Walmart and grabbing a CD off the shelf and walking out without paying for it. Or try walking into your local record store?Oh wait, you don?t have one anymore.

It?s a bit weird that stealing music has become an afterthought, and that enforcement is basically nonexistent.

The record labels pretty much have themselves to blame for this, and the attitude most people have about it is to shrug their shoulders and say this is how it is now.

And that?s true. And there?s no going back.

But for better or for worse, music is a commodity, and it costs money to produce, manufacture, promote, and distribute.

Those four things do not come cheap.

A massive amount of effort and hard work went into the making of this album. A massive amount of money has been spent to record it and get it out to the world. Not only by the label, but by the band themselves.

I have a strong feeling that this album will still sell a lot of copies when it?s actually released, and I know that a vast majority of you who come to this site and post on the boards here have supported this band for a long time, and will continue to support them.

So this shitty little chapter will pass, and we?ll move on to the next chapter, and better days ahead.

I?ll get off my soapbox now. My Pearl Jam download is almost done and I need to go listen to it.

Kidding?.

aliceinchains.com

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #331 on: September 22, 2009, 11:33:12 AM »

Cool

ALICE IN CHAINS: Entire New Album Available For Streaming - Sep. 22, 2009

ALICE IN CHAINS' much-anticipated new album, "Black Gives Way To Blue", is available for streaming in its entirety at www.alice-in-chains.net. Due on September 29, the CD was recorded with producer Nick Raskulinecz (RUSH, FOO FIGHTERS) at Studio 606 in Northridge, California and Henson Studios in Hollywood.

Thanks to Blabbermouth.net

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #332 on: September 23, 2009, 12:54:51 PM »

Lazer 103.3 - Andy Hall Interviews Alice In Chains Part 1 & 2 (Minneapolis show)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hr8ohzO_hmc&feature=channel_page

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iB5PkbSnQHY&feature=channel_page

Meet and greet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnRb9kliNAM&feature=channel_page

WhatIsItMan
VIP

What IS it Man?!

« Reply #333 on: September 25, 2009, 11:29:48 AM »

The promotion for this album has been incredible.  Someone should take some notes.

Chief
Legend

« Reply #334 on: September 25, 2009, 12:46:33 PM »

totally agreed!!!! they are all over the place!!!  great promo job!  i get emails from the band pretty much every week, and they have art in them too...
the two videos are pretty cool as well.

The promotion for this album has been incredible.  Someone should take some notes.

"That game was gay on gay violence!"

Visit my GNR site Welcome to the Jungle:
http://qfg2.info/gnr.html
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #335 on: September 25, 2009, 04:33:19 PM »

Rock Band Celebrates the Release of New Albums by Breaking Benjamin and Alice in Chains

September 25, 2009 - Cambridge, Mass. - Harmonix and MTV Games today announced that Breaking Benjamin will make their Rock Band debut next week with a three pack of songs available for download in the Rock Band Music Store. A five pack of songs from Alice in Chains...

A five pack of songs from alternative rockers Alice in Chains joins "Man in the Box," available on-disc on Rock Band 2. The five pack features the band's new single, "A Looking in View" from the band's first album in 14 years, titled Black Gives Way to Blue, which will be released day-and-date with the DLC pack. Alice in Chains has sold more than 17 million albums worldwide and has received six Grammy nominations since their inception in Seattle in 1987. The five pack also includes "Would?", which was featured in the soundtrack to the film Singles and won the award for Best Video from a Film at the 1993 MTV Video Music Awards.

Available on Xbox 360 and Wii (Sept. 29) and PlayStation 3 system (Oct. 1):

* Alice in Chains ? "A Looking in View"

* Alice in Chains ? "Check My Brain"

* Alice in Chains ? "No Excuses"

* Alice in Chains ? "Rooster"

* Alice in Chains ? "Would?"

(All tracks are original master recordings)

These tracks will be available for purchase as "Alice in Chains Pack 01" and as individual tracks on Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 system and as individual tracks on Wii.

Price:
$1.99 USD, .99 UK, ?1.49 EU (160 Microsoft Points for Xbox 360) per track

$8.49 USD, 5.25 UK and ?6.59 (680 Microsoft Points for Xbox 360) for "Alice in Chains Pack 01"

$2.00 USD (200 Wii Points) per track

*Denotes $.99 (80 Microsoft Points for Xbox 360) or $1.00 (100 Wii Points) per track

http://psp.ign.com/articles/102/1028507p1.html

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #336 on: September 25, 2009, 05:27:22 PM »

Jerry Cantrell Pays Tribute To Layne Staley

Jerry played Black Gives Way To Blue by himself as the spotlight lit up the empty stool with a mic stand in front of it.
It was a cool way to honor Layne in his hometown and a symbolic gesture that was really pretty moving.

http://www.aliceinchains.com/content/

The video of  Jerry performing "Black Gives Way To Blue":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38K_7YWo6q8

And a couple more from the same show.

"Man In The Box"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYmsW7lmwl4

"Rain When I die"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8z3XezGd4o

Verse Chorus Verse
Legend

It's here!

« Reply #337 on: September 26, 2009, 01:39:15 AM »

Just ordered my copy, and should have it on the day it's released - I am so excited for this album, it's beyond words. Ever since A Looking In View convinced me that maybe getting DuVall wasn't going to be a total failure, and Check My Brain confirmed that AiC could actually pull off getting a new singer, I've been counting down the days.

Louis Landon for Peace in Iraq
"This is the new Guns 'n Roses, deal with it or get off the planet."
WhatIsItMan
VIP

What IS it Man?!

« Reply #338 on: September 26, 2009, 02:48:23 PM »

totally agreed!!!! they are all over the place!!!  great promo job!  i get emails from the band pretty much every week, and they have art in them too...
the two videos are pretty cool as well.

2 Music Videos & Radio Singles
1 EPK Video
Updated Website (w/ direct contact from band members)
Updated Online Store with NEW merchandise
Street Team
Too many contests to count
TOUR
Meet & Greets
Radio & TV appearances
Magazine Covers / Interviews
Promotional e-mails
Limited Edition versions of the album (2 bonus tracks on iTunes, Autographed Edition, T-shirt bundle, more to come, I'm sure)

What am I missing?

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #339 on: September 27, 2009, 03:56:33 PM »

Here is a long but good interview with William DuVall:

Alice In Chains: 'We All Have Very High Standards For Ourselves'

09/25/2009

Can you talk about what you bring to AIC that is different than what Layne brought?

One thing is Alice basically become sort of a two-guitar band whenever we want to be. I started out as a guitar player; I never started playing music with the idea of being a singer. That came much, much later in the game. And so that sensibility of me being a guitar player first in my mind and the interaction that that creates with Cantrell and (Mike) Inez and Sean (Kinney), I think lends itself to a different kind of jamming than they perhaps used to be able to do.

What does go through your head when you sing the old Alice songs that Layne sang on? Are you consciously trying to make them your own or attempting to stay faithful to the original? Is Layne looking over your shoulder?

Yeah, you know, he?s there, looking.

Did you know Layne personally?

No, I didn?t; I only know him through his work. When Cantrell and I met and actually started touring together, my group Comes With the Fall did double duty backing him up and opening for him when he was getting the Degradation Trip record off the ground. And so we were actually the touring band for that as well as the opening act. We did it for two years straight, man, all of 2001 and 2002. We went all over the place and that?s how he and I kind of bonded on the road beyond the initial bonding that took place in Hollywood, right?

So, we?d be on a ride somewhere and he?d have some story or somethin? from the past about Layne. There were a lot of times where he?d say, ?Man, you guys would get along so great.? Of course, Layne was still living for most of that time. When we were on the road during the 2002 run that we did, Layne passed while we were on tour. So I was with him (Cantrell) for all of that.

I didn?t know him but I feel like I do because of the work and because of being around these guys who carry him with them everywhere that we go. And all the stories and the funny stuff. And it just seemed like I would have liked him a whole lot. I certainly loved his work; I loved his singing.

When I?m singing those tunes, I?m just trying to sing ?em from my own place of truth. Again, that?s all you can do. I?m gonna get inside (the songs) in terms of melodic liberties. I do a little of that occasionally just if it hits me to do it just because I?m inside of it. I don?t do it consciously. In other words, I?m not trying to consciously stray away from it and just putting my stamp on it and getting all American Idol all over it. At the same though, even if I?m faithful completely note-for-note to a certain part of a tune or something like that, it?s still coming from me. I?m in it, you know what I mean?

The fact is, Layne was singing a lot of songs he didn?t write. He did it from his own place of honesty and truth and he was himself and he was amazing so why would I do anything other than that myself? Even songs that he did write that were very much from a personal experience, what?s cool about those songs is the feelings behind those personal experiences are universal feelings. It?s just different shades of the blues. I understand that; I get that, man! So, there?s no problem there, no disconnect there. Just get it done, you know what I mean?

Continue reading here:
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/interviews/interviews/alice_in_chains_we_all_have_very_high_standards_for_ourselves.html

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 34 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: