Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:51:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227698 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Alice In Chains
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 34 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Alice In Chains  (Read 208554 times)
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #340 on: September 27, 2009, 11:21:29 PM »

ALICE IN CHAINS Drummer Compares Having New Album Illegally Downloaded To Prison Rape - Sep. 27, 2009

Tim Virgin of Chicago's Q101 radio station conducted an interview with ALICE IN CHAINS when the band played an acoustic set at the city's Hard Rock Cafe on Saturday, September 19. During the chat, the ALICE IN CHAINS members were asked for their thoughts on their new album, "Black Gives Way To Blue", being leaked on the Internet two weeks prior to the CD's official release date. "You know it's gonna happen 'cause it's part of [how the industry works nowadays], but you just hope it doesn't happen too far in advance," drummer Sean Kinney replied. "It's nothing unique [to this band]. [But] we hadn't been through it [before], 'cause we hadn't made a record in 14 years, so I think that's the initial shock. It's like, 'What?' We were talking about it earlier... It's like going to prison ? you're know you're gonna get raped, but you're not ready for it. You think you're all prepared for it, but you're not really prepared for how violent that rape is. It's like, 'Wow! He's really giving it to me.'"

Tim Virgin's interview with ALICE IN CHAINS can be viewed below.

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=127730

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #341 on: September 28, 2009, 02:14:27 AM »

Like prison rape? Oooooooooooooooook that's pushing it quite a bit there.
Chief
Legend

« Reply #342 on: September 28, 2009, 02:49:47 AM »

thanks that was a really awesome read.. one of the best new interviews. 
really looking forward to the new album!

Here is a long but good interview with William DuVall:

Alice In Chains: 'We All Have Very High Standards For Ourselves'

09/25/2009

Can you talk about what you bring to AIC that is different than what Layne brought?

One thing is Alice basically become sort of a two-guitar band whenever we want to be. I started out as a guitar player; I never started playing music with the idea of being a singer. That came much, much later in the game. And so that sensibility of me being a guitar player first in my mind and the interaction that that creates with Cantrell and (Mike) Inez and Sean (Kinney), I think lends itself to a different kind of jamming than they perhaps used to be able to do.

What does go through your head when you sing the old Alice songs that Layne sang on? Are you consciously trying to make them your own or attempting to stay faithful to the original? Is Layne looking over your shoulder?

Yeah, you know, he?s there, looking.

Did you know Layne personally?

No, I didn?t; I only know him through his work. When Cantrell and I met and actually started touring together, my group Comes With the Fall did double duty backing him up and opening for him when he was getting the Degradation Trip record off the ground. And so we were actually the touring band for that as well as the opening act. We did it for two years straight, man, all of 2001 and 2002. We went all over the place and that?s how he and I kind of bonded on the road beyond the initial bonding that took place in Hollywood, right?

So, we?d be on a ride somewhere and he?d have some story or somethin? from the past about Layne. There were a lot of times where he?d say, ?Man, you guys would get along so great.? Of course, Layne was still living for most of that time. When we were on the road during the 2002 run that we did, Layne passed while we were on tour. So I was with him (Cantrell) for all of that.

I didn?t know him but I feel like I do because of the work and because of being around these guys who carry him with them everywhere that we go. And all the stories and the funny stuff. And it just seemed like I would have liked him a whole lot. I certainly loved his work; I loved his singing.

When I?m singing those tunes, I?m just trying to sing ?em from my own place of truth. Again, that?s all you can do. I?m gonna get inside (the songs) in terms of melodic liberties. I do a little of that occasionally just if it hits me to do it just because I?m inside of it. I don?t do it consciously. In other words, I?m not trying to consciously stray away from it and just putting my stamp on it and getting all American Idol all over it. At the same though, even if I?m faithful completely note-for-note to a certain part of a tune or something like that, it?s still coming from me. I?m in it, you know what I mean?

The fact is, Layne was singing a lot of songs he didn?t write. He did it from his own place of honesty and truth and he was himself and he was amazing so why would I do anything other than that myself? Even songs that he did write that were very much from a personal experience, what?s cool about those songs is the feelings behind those personal experiences are universal feelings. It?s just different shades of the blues. I understand that; I get that, man! So, there?s no problem there, no disconnect there. Just get it done, you know what I mean?

Continue reading here:
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/interviews/interviews/alice_in_chains_we_all_have_very_high_standards_for_ourselves.html

"That game was gay on gay violence!"

Visit my GNR site Welcome to the Jungle:
http://qfg2.info/gnr.html
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #343 on: September 29, 2009, 01:17:20 PM »

Here are a couple of things on AIC...

The BJ Shea Morning Experience - Alice In Chains Interview Part 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqTSx2FZekE&feature=channel_page

Alice In Chains Have Stringent Requirements

Posted 18 hours ago

http://www.noisecreep.com/2009/09/28/alice-in-chains-have-stringent-requirements/

WhatIsItMan
VIP

What IS it Man?!

« Reply #344 on: September 29, 2009, 09:04:00 PM »

Went to Best Buy today.  Had flashbacks of the day Chinese Democracy was released.  They didn't have the BGWTB vinyl stocked though.

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #345 on: September 30, 2009, 09:20:57 AM »

Here is video of Alice In Chains from last night's performance on Jimmy Kimmel Live!...

"Check My Brain"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOgb260QNqQ&feature=channel_page

"Would?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hP0Rk8U0Ass&feature=channel_page

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #346 on: September 30, 2009, 04:47:52 PM »

ALICE IN CHAINS' New Album Projected To Sell 130K-140K First Week - Sep. 30, 2009

According to Hits Daily Double, the companion web site of music industry tip sheet HITS, ALICE IN CHAINS's first all-new album in 14 years, titled "Black Gives Way To Blue", is on track to sell between 130,000 and 140,000 copies in the United States in its first week of release. The CD will likely land in the Top 5 of next week's The Billboard 200 chart, behind the latest albums from PARAMORE, MARIAH CAREY, BARBRA STREISAND and BREAKING BENJAMIN.

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=127923

Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #347 on: September 30, 2009, 05:12:21 PM »

ALICE IN CHAINS' New Album Projected To Sell 130K-140K First Week - Sep. 30, 2009

According to Hits Daily Double, the companion web site of music industry tip sheet HITS, ALICE IN CHAINS's first all-new album in 14 years, titled "Black Gives Way To Blue", is on track to sell between 130,000 and 140,000 copies in the United States in its first week of release. The CD will likely land in the Top 5 of next week's The Billboard 200 chart, behind the latest albums from PARAMORE, MARIAH CAREY, BARBRA STREISAND and BREAKING BENJAMIN.

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=127923

Thats a good number..i picked it up yesteday along with the new Paramore and Buckcherry's Live album.  Ill probably pick up the Breaking Benjamin album later in the week...
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #348 on: September 30, 2009, 06:14:13 PM »

Thats a good number..i picked it up yesteday along with the new Paramore and Buckcherry's Live album.  Ill probably pick up the Breaking Benjamin album later in the week...
im surprised you like Paramore.....

Buckcherry did a live album!?!?!

html sucks
gnr2k6
« Reply #349 on: September 30, 2009, 07:12:27 PM »

yeah live and loud....its pretty amazing.
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #350 on: September 30, 2009, 09:13:35 PM »

im surprised you like Paramore.....

Buckcherry did a live album!?!?!

yeah I like a lot of different types of bands.  I enjoy Paramore and god forbid Creed as well..lol..Some people on this board think you are not allowed to like music if you like them.  I actually started a Paramore thread here about a year back and it got deleted...considering some of the inane bullshit topics that are allowed on this board I was surprised to see a thread about a band in the Bad Obsession thread get deleted...but oh well.
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #351 on: September 30, 2009, 09:24:21 PM »

the album.. its not bad at all.  i picked it up today and i probably like 50% of the songs which is pretty good.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #352 on: September 30, 2009, 10:20:44 PM »

yeah live and loud....its pretty amazing.

Bought it and AIC yesterday,  both are cool.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #353 on: September 30, 2009, 11:29:45 PM »

Has anyone heard the Elton John Piano Mix?  And how do you get it if you don't have iTunes (I have a Zune)?

If you pre-order ALICE IN CHAINS' new album, "Black Gives Way To Blue", via iTunes, you will receive two exclusive bonus tracks: "Your Decision" (live) and "Black Gives Way To Blue (Elton John Piano Mix)".

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #354 on: October 01, 2009, 01:35:18 PM »

ALICE IN CHAINS: Video Of Last Night's 'Jimmy Kimmel Live!' Acoustic Performance Available - Oct. 1, 2009

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=127949

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #355 on: October 01, 2009, 01:36:34 PM »

Glad they didn't chose that name...

Alice in Chains offer first CD since a tragedy

(AP) ? 1 day ago

Still, the band knows there will be critics unhappy that they're playing under their old name. Kinney and Cantrell considered pre-empting such talk by toying with an alternative, very heavy metal name: Leather Snake.

They nixed it, though.

"It doesn't matter what we called it. People would go, 'The guys from Alice are playing down the street and they're playing their songs,'" says Kinney.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jejjLt0WRoYti4gxYyKUnQHDkPRQD9B1K2P00

LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #356 on: October 01, 2009, 01:49:48 PM »

Leather Snake?  Huh  That could have been a disaster.

On the other hand, I think the album is amazing. Maybe not the best rock album in the past 15 years that Duff had hyped but solid throughout. Good to hear that sound again.

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
BlowUpYourVideo
Swimmin' in my ability
Legend

Carbon monoxide

« Reply #357 on: October 01, 2009, 02:23:42 PM »

Listening to the iTunes samples from the new album and it sounds not bad. Think I may try and pick it up at some point. yes

They say of the Acropolis where the Parthenon is....
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #358 on: October 01, 2009, 07:09:13 PM »

leather snake, holy shit, that would be the worst name ever
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #359 on: October 01, 2009, 09:27:13 PM »

I have to say the opening track is an odd choice to open the album.   I tend to just skip straight to Check My Brain.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 34 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: