Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:15:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227698 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Alice In Chains
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 34 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Alice In Chains  (Read 208582 times)
metallex78
Legend

vicarious existance is a fucking waste of time

« Reply #360 on: October 01, 2009, 10:42:44 PM »

I have to say the opening track is an odd choice to open the album.   I tend to just skip straight to Check My Brain.

It's a slow epic build up of a song, I think it actually opens the album very well.

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2007!!!
23 June Sydney @ Acer Arena
24 June Sydney @ Acer Arena

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2013!!!
17 March Melbourne @ Sidney Myer Music Bowl
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #361 on: October 02, 2009, 10:14:01 AM »

I think "A Looking in View" should have been the opener. Just blast everyone right from the get go.

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #362 on: October 02, 2009, 11:39:15 AM »

Alice in Chains' Jerry Cantrell and Elton John on their 'Black Gives Way to Blue' collaboration

October 1 2009

The poignant ?Black Gives Way to Blue??which serves as the title track on the new Alice In Chains album?contains a guest appearance on the piano by none other than Elton John. We asked AIC guitarist/vocalist Jerry Cantrell and Sir Elton to talk about how they joined forces on this tribute song for the band?s late singer, Layne Staley.

JERRY CANTRELL:  ?We were toward the end of recording the record, and I had demoed that particular song two different ways?with a piano track and without a piano track. It?s a really powerful and important song on the record, obviously. We decided to try it [with] a piano track, so we were trying to figure out who was going to play on it. And Baldy, a good friend of the band who had worked with Elton John before, was like, ?Why don?t you call Elton?? And we laughed about that for a minute. I was like, ?Yeah, right! I?m sure he?s plenty of other things to do than to come play on our song.? And he was like, ?You never know unless you ask.? And I thought about that and I was like, ?He?s absolutely right.? Elton is a very important musical influence to all of us in varying degrees, and especially to me. My first album was Elton John?s Greatest Hits. And actually, we were reminded by Layne?s stepfather that Elton was his first concert, so it was all really appropriate. So I wrote [Elton] an e-mail and explained what his music meant to us, and that this song was for Layne. We sent him a demo, and he said it was beautiful and he?d love to play on it. In the studio he was really relaxed and gracious, and he?s got a great sense of humor. We were just trying to be cool: ?Oh, yeah, no big deal.? But we were excited. [Drummer Sean Kinney] and I had to walk out a couple of times to smoke cigarettes, like, ?Holy s?, this is killer.? It?s one of those highlights you can?t expect in life, and you?re lucky to get them once in a while. And that is one.?

ELTON JOHN:  ?I was kind of surprised that Alice in Chains would ask me to do anything. I never thought I?d play on an Alice in Chains record. When I heard the song I really wanted to do it. I liked the fact that it was so beautiful and very simple. They had a great idea of what they wanted me to do on it and it turned out great.?

http://music-mix.ew.com/2009/10/01/alice-in-chains-elton-john-jerry-cantrell/

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #363 on: October 02, 2009, 03:43:21 PM »

I have to say the opening track is an odd choice to open the album.   I tend to just skip straight to Check My Brain.

It's a slow epic build up of a song, I think it actually opens the album very well.

yea.. I tend to like the opening track of the album to grab you by the balls.   I think Check My Brain or A Looking in View would have done that perfectly.  But different strokes.  peace
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #364 on: October 02, 2009, 04:49:09 PM »

The BJ Shea Morning Experience - Alice In Chains Interview Part 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqTSx2FZekE&feature=channel_page

Here is part 2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ghW94y_fHY&feature=channel_page

And this:

ALICE IN CHAINS: Behind-The-Scenes Footage From 'Check My Brain' Video Shoot Available - Oct. 2, 2009

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=128061

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #365 on: October 02, 2009, 08:15:18 PM »

Heard it, not my cup of tea

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #366 on: October 02, 2009, 09:57:20 PM »

yea.. I tend to like the opening track of the album to grab you by the balls.   I think Check My Brain or A Looking in View would have done that perfectly.  But different strokes.  peace
i agree, dont remember the first song of the album but i do think that the first song of an album should be a wake up call
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

« Reply #367 on: October 02, 2009, 10:37:45 PM »

i agree, dont remember the first song of the album but i do think that the first song of an album should be a wake up call

And thats one thing AIC used to be really fucking good at.   We Die Young, Them Bones, Grind.. great opening tracks.

Overall the album is pretty good.  Granted AIC only works for me when I go thru depressed phases.
$$$$
VIP

the disrespect in your eye

« Reply #368 on: October 02, 2009, 11:27:59 PM »

bin listening to the last 2 tracks non stop.

maybe im depressed Huh

BASTARD SON OF A LOADED GUN
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #369 on: October 03, 2009, 05:55:09 AM »

And thats one thing AIC used to be really fucking good at.   We Die Young, Them Bones, Grind.. great opening tracks.

Overall the album is pretty good.  Granted AIC only works for me when I go thru depressed phases.
Those 3 songs are probably my favorite tracks by the guys.

We Die Young has one awesome riff.

html sucks
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #370 on: October 03, 2009, 03:01:08 PM »

So that minute long intro of basic nonsense on Chinese Democracy ruined the album for you two?
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

« Reply #371 on: October 03, 2009, 03:22:53 PM »

So that minute long intro of basic nonsense on Chinese Democracy ruined the album for you two?

I wouldn't call it nonsense, but not at all, its probably my favorite first track out of all GnR albums.. I think the intro builds up nicely and is one of the best rocking songs on the album.

Nor did I say a weak opening track ruins the entire album..  it just means skipping ahead a song or two.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 03:24:35 PM by Jim Bob » Logged
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #372 on: October 03, 2009, 03:47:37 PM »

I wouldn't call it nonsense, but not at all, its probably my favorite first track out of all GnR albums.. I think the intro builds up nicely and is one of the best rocking songs on the album.

Nor did I say a weak opening track ruins the entire album..  it just means skipping ahead a song or two.

Like Civil War on UYI 2.  Actually, there isn't a "ball-grabber" until....Get In The Ring???I don't know, I'm just trying to understand where you're coming from.  The album everyone considers to be perfect (that would be Dark Side of the Moon) has tracks that I think you might "skip ahead."
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

« Reply #373 on: October 03, 2009, 04:44:15 PM »

Like Civil War on UYI 2.  Actually, there isn't a "ball-grabber" until....Get In The Ring???I don't know, I'm just trying to understand where you're coming from.  The album everyone considers to be perfect (that would be Dark Side of the Moon) has tracks that I think you might "skip ahead."

We all have different tastes.   Civil War was a pretty good song to start the album.  I just find the first track on the new AIC kinda boring.   

Theres also albums that have strong first tracks and then the rest is disappointing, like Libertard.
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #374 on: October 03, 2009, 06:19:29 PM »

Jerry Cantrell and Mike Inez of Alice In Chains sat down with DunlopTV moments before their most recent performance at the legendary Fillmore Theater in San Francisco, and hours before their new record Black Gives Way to Blue was released. Jerry and Mike tell Kehoe about the recording process, their live gear vs the studio gear, and what plans the band has for the future. Then they went out on stage and PUT IT DOWN! Got some footage of that, too. Check out Alice In chains on DunlopTV!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dccc9HULtWY

AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #375 on: October 03, 2009, 08:40:25 PM »

I'm not in love with the opening track either.

Kind of sounds like TOOL without a classic climax.

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
$$$$
VIP

the disrespect in your eye

« Reply #376 on: October 04, 2009, 12:13:50 AM »

i love the groove that Lesson Learned has smoking

BASTARD SON OF A LOADED GUN
Baby Firefly
Headliner

Tutti Fuckin' Frutti.

« Reply #377 on: October 04, 2009, 10:44:47 PM »

I bought it first day, still gets spins from me. Solid, good album.

A Looking In View and the title track are great.

Whatever you need to do, you do it. There is no wrong. If someone needs to be killed, you kill 'em. That's the way.
Verse Chorus Verse
Legend

It's here!

« Reply #378 on: October 04, 2009, 11:06:42 PM »

Haha, I've been listening to it non-stop since the day it came out.

Louis Landon for Peace in Iraq
"This is the new Guns 'n Roses, deal with it or get off the planet."
Baby Firefly
Headliner

Tutti Fuckin' Frutti.

« Reply #379 on: October 04, 2009, 11:08:38 PM »

Haha, I've been listening to it non-stop since the day it came out.

Since my purchase of the album, my love for Alice has been rekindled. I've been digging out my old cds of them.

Whatever you need to do, you do it. There is no wrong. If someone needs to be killed, you kill 'em. That's the way.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 34 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: