Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 28, 2024, 11:27:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227963 Posts in 43255 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  Advice needeed - career -
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Advice needeed - career -  (Read 2719 times)
Where is Hassan Nasrallah ?
Coco
Legend

S?gol?ne Royal

« on: December 12, 2006, 12:37:34 PM »

you're 23.

say you are in a big big company for 7 months.
a very cool job. with a very good salary.

say another big company, wich work on what you love / is one of your passion, calls you.
offers a very cool job too. i dunno the salary, maybe not as much, but still high for a 23 years old.

what do yo do ?
knowing that leavin the current company is kinda tricky as your on a very strategic project and that would put everything is a tricky situations.
and knowin that, that current company has a "history" of making its people stay for all their life and is very career oriented.

thanks !

The Dog
Legend

« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2006, 12:42:49 PM »

If you like what you're doing now and feel secure there and feel you have a bright future....stay.  If you are just so-so about the work you're doing and not so passionate about it and this new offer is something you know you would put your all into, then leave and take the new job.

even if you are making a little less, doing what you love is priceless.  It sounds cliche, but to me its 100% true, i'd rather be a few dollars poorer but totally happy then have a few dollars more but be really miserable and bitter.

"You're the worst character ever Towelie."
Guns N RockMusic
Deer Hunter
Banned
VIP

I'm back baby, old school style

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2006, 12:43:26 PM »

To me this is a no brainer. ?Money is nice and all, but if you can work for a company you have a real passion for, go for it. ?If the income difference isn't dramatic enough to hinder your ability to live well, take whatever means necessary to insure a smooth transition with your current employer and say good-bye. ?The company that you're looking at should respect thaty you have the work-ethic to sort things out and not dick over your current employeer. ?Just my opinion, but you only have one life to live, might as well enjoy as much as you can.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2006, 12:54:42 PM »

I've had this happen.

I work for a company that I enjoy working for, feel it contributes to the common good, and I make a decent living.  I've been offered other positions, in other places ("promotions" of a sort) and have only seriously considered one (because it was compelling, financially)...which I eventually turned down.

Having said that, at 23...I hopped companies every 2 years til I was about 27.  Sorta had to in order to make any progression upwards.

My advice: Keep making games where you are.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2006, 12:57:01 PM »

If it's a rare "once-in-a-lifetime" opportunity, take it. ?But if the opportunity would still likely be there a year or 2 down the road, then I would wait. ?A tenure of at least 2 years at a major corporation will be a great asset to your career forever, plus the knowledge, experience, contacts and relationships you would build there will be very valuable to you.

Coco
Legend

S?gol?ne Royal

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2006, 12:59:40 PM »

I've had this happen.

I work for a company that I enjoy working for, feel it contributes to the common good, and I make a decent living. ?I've been offered other positions, in other places ("promotions" of a sort) and have only seriously considered one (because it was compelling, financially)...which I eventually turned down.

Having said that, at 23...I hopped companies every 2 years til I was about 27. ?Sorta had to in order to make any progression upwards.

to make it clear

i am at L'Oreal (beauty & cosmetics) now

the company that wants me is Ubisoft (i did my internship there a year ago)

so i would make games there

i love my current job, i love l'oreal. so that's why it's a complicated issue.
but i know myself, i cannot stay in place, and i never resisted temptations, i always go and do what my heart tells me to do .... is career to important for that kinda of behavior?

pilferk, why did you turned down that last offer ?

Coco
Legend

S?gol?ne Royal

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2006, 01:02:47 PM »

GeorgeSteele, i dig you

there are some paramters
L'oreal is the kind of company that makes you stay, the more you stay, when they target you as a "asset" you're on track for a real career.
with money, with lure of great career (sincere) and such
so i know that it will be hard to leave.

and also, the video game industry is in some ways closed, as you need to get on board kinda soon ... as it's an "artistic" industry.

thx

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2006, 01:06:14 PM »

I've had this happen.

I work for a company that I enjoy working for, feel it contributes to the common good, and I make a decent living.  I've been offered other positions, in other places ("promotions" of a sort) and have only seriously considered one (because it was compelling, financially)...which I eventually turned down.

Having said that, at 23...I hopped companies every 2 years til I was about 27.  Sorta had to in order to make any progression upwards.

to make it clear

i am at L'Oreal (beauty & cosmetics) now

the company that wants me is Ubisoft (i did my internship there a year ago)

so i would make games there

i love my current job, i love l'oreal. so that's why it's a complicated issue.
but i know myself, i cannot stay in place, and i never resisted temptations, i always go and do what my heart tells me to do .... is career to important for that kinda of behavior?

pilferk, why did you turned down that last offer ?

Oh GODS man...I thought you were still at Ubisoft.  Go.  To. Ubi.

Just from discussing games with you on this board.....take that talent and run with it.

I turned the offer down for a few reasons.  It would have required relocation (something that's never fun) to a geographic area I'm not fond of (hot).  It would mean leaving our extended family (my parents and brother, who my children are VERY close to..and so are we, actually).  And it would have meant substantially more time away from home (travel and increased working hours) and my young children. In the end, as attractive as the paycheck would have been, it wasn't the right move for my family....or me.  In retrospect it was exactly the right decision to make, all things considered.

Is career too important to "follow your heart"? No, especially not at 23.  This is the time to take the risks and find what you want to do for 20 or 30 years....doing what you love, for work, makes your career what it is.  Otherwise, you're just doing a job for a paycheck.

Edit: Remember, when I made my decision, I was in a vastly different place than you are.  I was supporting 3 other people (4, now) and am firmly set on my career path.  I have to be a bit more conservative, in my career choices, than I did when I was 23 or 24.  Married, with 2 (now 3) kids is so far from the place you're at.....
« Last Edit: December 12, 2006, 01:12:25 PM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
Coco
Legend

S?gol?ne Royal

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2006, 02:21:01 PM »

well thanks for all this info ! understood.

PEACE !!!

T_Roxie
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2006, 02:31:05 PM »

Fucking hell, work for ubisoft, that must be amazing!? Cool smoking
COMAMOTIVE
Legend

At least there's a reaction

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2006, 03:17:27 PM »

to make it clear

i am at Taco Bell (Chalupas & E-Coli) now

the company that wants me is Burger King (i did my internship there a year ago)

so i would make Whoppers there

i love my current job, i love " Da Bell ". so that's why it's a complicated issue.
but i know myself, i cannot stay in place, and i never resisted temptations( to eat Mexican), i always go and do what my heart tells me to do .... is career to important for that kinda of behavior?

Wow......Tough Choices....Good Luck with that
Coco
Legend

S?gol?ne Royal

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2006, 04:08:11 PM »

Fucking hell, work for ubisoft, that must be amazing!? Cool smoking

l'oreal have models and champagne .... Smiley

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: