Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:08:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227698 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  The Top Twenty Albums of 2006
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Top Twenty Albums of 2006  (Read 7260 times)
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2006, 07:33:38 PM »

The more people who haven't heard of racist metal bands the better...

Only if, ceteris paribus, there are non-racist equivalents. There aren't. There are no non-racist pagan black metal bands as good as Graveland, and I've looked. It's an asinine question anyway, because black metal is inherently hateful, and the music is inspired by the ideas. Why do you think we write music in the first place?  Roll Eyes

And, if racism truly bothers you, 8/10 of the bands I mentioned aren't racist.
Skeletor
Paha keisari
Legend

Oyez! Oyez!

« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2006, 07:50:31 PM »

No, you didn't hear me right... Being proud of not knowing who they are is what's pathetic.

The more people who haven't heard of racist metal bands the better...

The clear majority of the bands Walk listed aren't racist, and Izzy was dismissing them all as a group, without knowing what he's talking about (not the first time that's happened Roll Eyes). Agalloch for example are fucking amazing - their music is true art and beauty. I'm sorry if Walk listens to this "white pride" stuff, I wash my hands clean of that, but the guy is also obviously a great fan of music in general, and he listens to some great shit as well.

This is what he'd always known
The promise of something greater beyond the water's final horizon
Skeletor
Paha keisari
Legend

Oyez! Oyez!

« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2006, 08:00:14 PM »

because black metal is inherently hateful, and the music is inspired by the ideas.

I disagree with you on this one. I'm actually not sure if we've had this discussion before (or maybe I was just going to write about it, but didn't bother Tongue), but the way I see black metal, it isn't about hate. Admittedly I'm not the biggest bm fan in the world anyway, and only listen to a few select bands, but the ones I do listen to focus more on the Nordic folklore / frostbitten lands -type of themes. And even if some bands are really straightforward in expressing their anti-religious sentiments, I don't know, I guess I'm just able to not take the lyrics too seriously, and focus on the music as a whole.

Anyway, point being, I don't think of black metal as "hate-music".

This is what he'd always known
The promise of something greater beyond the water's final horizon
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2006, 08:21:26 PM »

I disagree with you on this one. I'm actually not sure if we've had this discussion before (or maybe I was just going to write about it, but didn't bother Tongue), but the way I see black metal, it isn't about hate. Admittedly I'm not the biggest bm fan in the world anyway, and only listen to a few select bands, but the ones I do listen to focus more on the Nordic folklore / frostbitten lands -type of themes. And even if some bands are really straightforward in expressing their anti-religious sentiments, I don't know, I guess I'm just able to not take the lyrics too seriously, and focus on the music as a whole.

Anyway, point being, I don't think of black metal as "hate-music".

Your position is reasonable; black metal can mean just about anything, anyway. However, because it is such a holistic, extreme form of music means that it is open to all emotions, which inevitably includes hate; nothing is off limits. Some bands are just more hateful than others. It's safe to say that there is a LOT of black metal with little emphasis on hatred, and more on pride, but the emotion is always there, as is all others. It's really all semantics. Wink

Graveland/Lord Wind is much like Hammerheart era Bathory, and very pro Nordic, but ironically, it's a Polish band, and Poles suffered the most under Hitler. The guy behind it dresses in faux-chainmail and LARPs, too.  hihi As usual, taking the Engrish lyrics seriously isn't necessary for enjoying the music, but it's helpful to know the general theme of the music to try to grasp what is trying to be expressed.

Battlecry is very tongue in cheek, and liking them is like liking Celine Dion. They're a guilty pleasure that I rarely play, but when I do, I crank it up and sing!  rofl
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2006, 08:24:18 PM »

Here's the guy behind Graveland and Lord Wind. Who cares if he's a bit nuts; if he were really going to hurt people, like Varg Vikernes, he would have done it by now.

Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: