Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 02:55:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227818 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Looking for new Metal Bands....
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Looking for new Metal Bands....  (Read 7843 times)
Skeletor
Paha keisari
Legend

Oyez! Oyez!

« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2006, 12:45:39 PM »

Varg claims that it's biased, but he's a Nazi, murderer, in prison, a pagan fanatic, and generally insane, so it's safe to ignore him these days.  hihi

Now, now, aren't you being a bit prejudiced? Tongue Grin

This is what he'd always known
The promise of something greater beyond the water's final horizon
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2006, 12:49:28 PM »

Now, now, aren't you being a bit prejudiced? Tongue Grin

Don't you mean hypocritical?  hihi
GNR_Green
VIP

Green Army

« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2006, 03:43:48 PM »

Children Of Bodom!  Nevermore release some good stuff.  The latest Voivod album's ok.  Blind Guardian and Hammerfall are good power metal.  Mastodon are probably holding the torch for metal right now, with System Of A Down being the best of the more commercial metal bands these days.  All imo of course.  When you start looking there's a lot of good new metal around.

As for Slough Feg, I'm currently borrowing an album of theirs and will give it a good listen soon.  The one snippet I've heard sounded like Glenn Danzig singing over Annihilator rhythm with a twist!

"Said if they had someone to buy it, Said I'm sure they'd sell my soul"
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2006, 06:26:55 PM »

Depends what you want, so here are some of my favorites, by style:

Normal Ass Metal:
Black Label Society (The Blessed Hellride or Mafia)

Black Metal:
Immortal (their later stuff...Sons of Northern Darkness, especially) "I" is a new Immortal offshoot that's pretty cool, too.
Bathory (Blood Fire Death and Hammerheart, both of which have been mentioned, and are more "Viking metal" than black)

Death Metal:
Death (of course!...esp. sounds of perseverance)

Melodic Death:
Norther (Mirror of Madness), Amon Amarth (Versus the World), Dark Tranquillity (Damage Done), At the Gates (Slaughter of the Soul) and Wintersun (s/t)...these vary from hard n' brutal to more power metal-esque.

Progressive Metal:
Nevermore (Enemies of Reality is my fave) and Mastodon (Blood Mountain)

Sludge:
Acid Bath (Paegan Terrorism Tactics)

Recent 80s Style Hard Rock:
Beautiful Creatures

Some of this is, of course, far from "new."  Also, as a GNR fan, you should dig into the old Nazareth catalog.  That band is SO much better than just hearing "Hair of the Dog" and "Love Hurts" on the radio.  I'd pick up the ALBUM Hair of the Dog and also No Mean City.

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
bazgnr
Legend

« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2006, 10:31:25 AM »

Mastodon.  It's at times too progressive for my tastes, but it's growing on me...
Metallifuck
Rocker

R.I.P. Dimebag 1966-2004

« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2006, 06:20:53 PM »

I guess what i am looking for is some real bad ass metal bands. I live in California and the metal scene really suxs hear. I grew up in the 80's so i like all that shit. You know Metallica, Megadeth,Preist, Kiss, Bon Jovi etc.... I think you all get the picture.

You clearly enjoy thrash metal, so I'll recommend the Unholy 4 of German thrash metal, which are basically the more evil counterparts of American thrash. Wink Check out Kreator, Destruction, Sodom, and Tankard. German thrash metal was highly influential in the development of death metal, and even black metal, especially Sodom's very early material.

I am into alot of Swedish metal bands right now.

Melodic death metal is huge in Scandinavia now. Check out bands like Opeth, Skyfire, and At The Gates to get into that scene a little. The American band Agalloch is also similar, at least to the acoustic moments in these bands. Then there's the more baroque stuff, like Ulver and Arcturus. From there, you might want to get into orthodox black metal, like Burzum and Graveland, but it takes a while to get into that. Bathory would be a good start, since they more or less created black metal in the 80's. Venom is just an evil Motorhead clone. Wink

Trivium is lame. If you think they're good, you're really missing out on some amazing music.

i disagree new trivium is great.

I cant see how hes missing out on great music when half the styles and bands you mentioned roar every word, if you can make out what your saying then you deserve a medal.

You really are missing out if you think about the music like that. Listen to Opeth now, and tell me that 'Trivium' makes more meaningful music.

Bow to the Tempo of the Damned!
Metallifuck
Rocker

R.I.P. Dimebag 1966-2004

« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2006, 06:22:57 PM »

If you haven't heard Opeth, Nevermore or Mastodon, get their latest albums to start with and spend time listening to them.

Bow to the Tempo of the Damned!
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2006, 11:37:39 PM »

If you haven't heard Opeth, Nevermore or Mastodon, get their latest albums to start with and spend time listening to them.

I don't know how I left Opeth off my list.  When I describe Opeth to people, I like to use the phrase "if Pink Floyd played death metal..."

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
bazgnr
Legend

« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2006, 08:08:41 AM »

Opeth is new to me...thanks for the recommendation.    beer
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2006, 04:48:51 PM »

Anybody heard the album from "I" called "Between Two Worlds"?  It's like a combination of late Immortal and BFD/Hammerheart Bathory.  Very cool.

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
Chris Misfit
Opening Act

Here Today...Drunk Today!

« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2006, 07:17:46 AM »

The best metal band out there are Send More Paramedics. They are incredible. Mix Slayer with a slap of 80s hardcore, a pinch of the Misfits and get fucking zombified.

Can't wait until I see them in 07!

Where's Jim?
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: