Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 11, 2024, 05:18:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228032 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  VH1 Classic's Top 20 Metal Bands...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: VH1 Classic's Top 20 Metal Bands...  (Read 15560 times)
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2007, 03:05:24 PM »

Who cares...GNR is Rock N Roll not metal anyways...Metal is Slayer and bands like that...Rock N Roll imo is bands that have slow songs as well..November Rain,Stairway,Diamonds & Rust...Andbesides,VH1,Billboard,Rolling Stone....they always have different bands on there lists...One might have Nirvana as the top band, one might not even have them on there...Big deal

If pace is the sole qualifier, then doom metal would be doom rock n' roll.  Black Sabbath's self-titled track "Black Sabbath" is slow, but definitely metal.  My main criterion is that rock n' roll is still blues based, whereas in a lot of metal you can't find the blues.  Earlier metal bands tend to have bluesy hard rock/rock songs and seem to have also stumbled upon this very powerful, non-blues "metal" sound.  Sabbath, in particular, but also Deep Purple and others.

whoever said "hair metal" tries to be like guns n roses and led zeppelin is bollocks, complete, because many of them, if not all were around before guns n roses.

Agreed...GNR is the salvation of a bloated, overly commercialized, hollywood glam scene.

As for other thrash bands, check out Exodus, Vio-Lence, Sepultura, Sodom, Mekong Delta, and of course Dark Angel. The big 4 are somewhat overrated.

Sepultura fucking rules, and are a good band to get into for thrash, because they aren't a pure thrash band, IMO.  They aren't quite as fast, tend to be heavier, and do some very cool Brazilian stuff, too.

My definition of metal is basically how much ass do you kick although there are obviously a ton of "cliches" about the genre to look for when trying to classify a band's sound.

To some extent, I can agree with this, and metal certainly seeks this image, but I think it's faulty in some areas.  Power metal, for example, is probably both the least "heavy" and the least "ass-kicking" (from a pure violent perspective, as opposed to a technical perspective, where power metal excels), and I think you can make an argument that hard rock bands like GNR have a much more aggressive and dangerous image than do a lot of power metal bands.  The line between GNR's attitude and some metal bands comes with things like satanic imagery, etc., which is often just for effect and doesn't truly reflect the band's beliefs. 

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #41 on: January 02, 2007, 09:36:06 PM »

which ones are exodus...were they the ones that had a a sole person for singing, rather than the more usual thrash line up  of instrument/singer for a frontman?

Get Bonded by Blood. Enough said. Yes, Baloff was just a singer.

and with slayer, lyrically they can get a bit repetative too.

They're far more creative than 99% of thrash bands. Metal lyrics are generally terrible, anyway, since the focus is on the music.

ive heard reign in blood (which i do like), seasons of the abyss and the new album which was ok.

You've missed their best albums, then. Slayer's first 2 albums, Show No Mercy and Hell Awaits (which contains the Haunting The Chapel EP these days), are both amazing, and South of Heaven has a peculiar subtlety that grows on you after a while. Seasons in the Abyss was more commercial, and Slayer's latest is decent, but they're not as good as the classics I just mentioned.

As for Sepultura, a lot of people consider them to be very early death metal. Death and thrash metal were much closer in the 80's than today. The band Possessed can be seen as both death and thrash. Even if they were the "first" death metal band, I still give Death credit for making true, solid death metal and establishing the genre. Death isn't as thrashy as the earlier bands.

As for blues, I'll give you Diamond Head as an example of bluesy metal. Having some blues elements doesn't make metal more rockish at all. I can't really explain well what makes metal what it is. You just have to hear it. GnR is not a metal band.
GNRfan2008
Headliner

« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2007, 05:27:04 AM »

They fucking left GN'R out!

Bullshit crappy bands that WERE included:

W.A.S.P., Poison, Ratt, Def Leppard, Motley Crue, Twisted Sister, Skid Row, Quiet Riot, hell KISS sucks too!

hey i agree with you on the being pissed they left out G'n'R (i watched it last weekend and i''m like WTF) but saying that W.A.S.P., Poison, Ratt, Def Leppard, Motley Crue, Twisted Sister, Skid Row, Quiet Riot, all suck then saying "hell KISS sucks too!". i'm sry but that pissed me off i try to go along with the karma thing but dude fuck you rant

To each his own. I just think most glam and pop/hair metal acts are a complete joke when compared with those that inspired them: Led Zeppelin for instance. KISS is one of the most overrated bands ever. Do I like them? Yeah, but do I think they're all that great? Nope. When looks become just as important or even more important than the music, a band has its priorities out of whack in my opinion.
zman
Rocker

LONG LIVE 80's METAL!!

« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2007, 09:25:59 AM »

Just because they left GnR off the list doesn't mean that the bands on the list are not metal. Most of the bands on the list have inspired A LOT of new metal bands and other bands. Motley Crue, Kiss, Twisted Sister, Quiet Riot, Ratt, Def Leppard and W.A.S.P are all excellant METAL bands and desreve to be on the list.

And hair metal what the fuck is that bands with big hair and make-up who ever came up with that name is an idot. It is all just metal in the end; if anything it should be referred to as dudes who got a lot of tail for playing music. I really hate the term HAIR METAL probably because i grew up with all of those bands and still listen to them ALL because they kick ASS.

So just because one of the best METAL BANDS GnR was not on the list don't get your panty's in a bunch and cry because they where beat out by the likes of KISS and Iron Maiden.

"IT'S ONE LOUDER ISN'T IT?"

"It's like a Sherlock Holmes story-a lot of fog and pipes."
GNRreunioneventually
Legend

Her-Bert baybay

« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2007, 01:03:11 PM »

W.A.S.P., Poison, Ratt, Def Leppard, Motley Crue, Twisted Sister, Skid Row, Quiet Riot, hell KISS sucks too!

hey i agree with you on the being pissed they left out G'n'R (i watched it last weekend and i''m like WTF) but saying that W.A.S.P., Poison, Ratt, Def Leppard, Motley Crue, Twisted Sister, Skid Row, Quiet Riot, all suck then saying "hell KISS sucks too!". i'm sry but that pissed me off i try to go along with the karma thing but dude fuck you rant

To each his own. I just think most glam and pop/hair metal acts are a complete joke when compared with those that inspired them: Led Zeppelin for instance. KISS is one of the most overrated bands ever. Do I like them? Yeah, but do I think they're all that great? Nope. When looks become just as important or even more important than the music, a band has its priorities out of whack in my opinion.

those bands were more about the look they were about music as well. In the sence that it was a change from punk. Metal was dead for a lil while but those bands brought it back in the early 80s. As for KISS they are categorized as being "overrated" because they capitolized on there act, music, look, everything- hell they got everything from KISS Kondoms to KISS Kaskets. Do i think they over do it a bit by putting there name on allmost any thing and everthing, Yes, But that shouldn't get in the way of any one liking there music. If you dont like them or there music any more because they "sold out" then that proves that your a farewether fan and only liked them because they were popular in the publics eye.

GNRreunioneventually

Called it Cheesy
GNRfan2008
Headliner

« Reply #45 on: January 04, 2007, 03:59:08 AM »

those bands were more about the look they were about music as well. In the sence that it was a change from punk. Metal was dead for a lil while but those bands brought it back in the early 80s. As for KISS they are categorized as being "overrated" because they capitolized on there act, music, look, everything- hell they got everything from KISS Kondoms to KISS Kaskets. Do i think they over do it a bit by putting there name on allmost any thing and everthing, Yes, But that shouldn't get in the way of any one liking there music. If you dont like them or there music any more because they "sold out" then that proves that your a farewether fan and only liked them because they were popular in the publics eye.

No, there's a few songs by KISS that I do enjoy and I like their music overall, but I don't think they compare with gods of music like Led Zeppelin, Hendrix, The Beatles, Rolling Stones, etc...catch my drift? Guns N' Roses, however, kicks total ass in my opinion and if it weren't for their own appetite for destruction, they WOULD have been the next Rolling Stones.
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #46 on: January 04, 2007, 12:11:21 PM »

No, there's a few songs by KISS that I do enjoy and I like their music overall, but I don't think they compare with gods of music like Led Zeppelin, Hendrix, The Beatles, Rolling Stones, etc...catch my drift? Guns N' Roses, however, kicks total ass in my opinion and if it weren't for their own appetite for destruction, they WOULD have been the next Rolling Stones.

I agree.  KISS is ok, but not great musicianship.  They're really about the live show, and doing something larger than life, which is fine.  I think someone needs to fill that role, and it's KISS.

And GNR is not a metal band. 

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
GNRreunioneventually
Legend

Her-Bert baybay

« Reply #47 on: January 04, 2007, 05:56:16 PM »

KISS stands for Keep It Simple Stupid meaning that there music was good and simple. Yes they are better live even though i've never been to a show  crying which really pisses me off. but i got KISSology so it works out. I think that no one in particular will be able to agree on the same list why dont we all make our own beer

heres mine-
1 (i gotta say) KISS
2 G'n'R
3 Led Zeppelin
4 Black Sabbeth
5 OZZY
6 Motley Crue
7 Dio
8 AC/DC
9 IRON MAIDEN
10 Poisen
11 Def Leppard
12 Twisted Sister
13 Skid Row
14 Warrent
15  Alice Cooper
16 Quiet Riot
17 W.A.S.P.
18 Ratt
19 Jackly
20 Accept

not in that order though i'm sure i'll change it but its just a rough sketch.

GNRreunioneventually

Called it Cheesy
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #48 on: January 04, 2007, 06:01:53 PM »

KISS stands for Keep It Simple Stupid meaning that there music was good and simple. Yes they are better live even though i've never been to a show  crying which really pisses me off. but i got KISSology so it works out. I think that no one in particular will be able to agree on the same list why dont we all make our own beer

heres mine-
1 (i gotta say) KISS
2 G'n'R
3 Led Zeppelin
4 Black Sabbeth
5 OZZY
6 Motley Crue
7 Dio
8 AC/DC
9 IRON MAIDEN
10 Poisen
11 Def Leppard
12 Twisted Sister
13 Skid Row
14 Warrent
15  Alice Cooper
16 Quiet Riot
17 W.A.S.P.
18 Ratt
19 Jackly
20 Accept

some cool bands...but warrant?

html sucks
GNRreunioneventually
Legend

Her-Bert baybay

« Reply #49 on: January 04, 2007, 08:48:50 PM »

why not warrent man Smiley they sang Cherry Pie  hihi

GNRreunioneventually

Called it Cheesy
zman
Rocker

LONG LIVE 80's METAL!!

« Reply #50 on: January 05, 2007, 09:10:05 AM »

The original line up of Warrant was really good. I remember seeing them before the made it big time and they really rocked.

Dirty rotten Filthy Stinking Rich is a great album.

mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #51 on: January 05, 2007, 11:19:02 AM »

i dunno, warrant for me were one of those bands who took the glam thing and gave it a bad name.

"look so good ,make a grown man cry, sweet cherry pieeeeeahhh"

html sucks
zman
Rocker

LONG LIVE 80's METAL!!

« Reply #52 on: January 05, 2007, 01:35:15 PM »

KISS stands for Keep It Simple Stupid meaning that there music was good and simple. Yes they are better live even though i've never been to a show? crying which really pisses me off. but i got KISSology so it works out. I think that no one in particular will be able to agree on the same list why dont we all make our own beer

heres mine-
1 (i gotta say) KISS
2 G'n'R
3 Led Zeppelin
4 Black Sabbeth
5 OZZY
6 Motley Crue
7 Dio
8 AC/DC
9 IRON MAIDEN
10 Poisen
11 Def Leppard
12 Twisted Sister
13 Skid Row
14 Warrent
15? Alice Cooper
16 Quiet Riot
17 W.A.S.P.
18 Ratt
19 Jackly
20 Accept

Here is my top 20

1) Iron Maiden
2) Judas Priest
3)Kiss
4) Motley Crue
5) Accept
6) Saxon
7) Guns N Roses
Cool Anthrax
9) Slayer
10) Ozzy Osbourne pre Zack Wilde
11) Badlands
12) Twisted Sister
13) Poison
14) Def Leppard
15) Black Sabbath
16) Warrant
17) Ratt
18) W.A.S.P
19) Dokken
20) Alice Cooper
21) AC/DC (almost forgot about them so i had to make it the top 21)

This is in no peticular order except for the top 5 those are my all time favs.

freedom78
Legend

« Reply #53 on: January 05, 2007, 02:07:57 PM »

The 10 Greatest Metal Bands and Pre-Metal Pioneers:           
1. Black Sabbath                                                                     
2. Alice Cooper                                                                         
3. Deep Purple                                                                         
4. Iron Maiden                                                                     
5. Metallica                                                                         
6. Opeth                                                                     
7. Death                                                                           
8. Dark Tranquillity                                                               
9. Slayer                                                                               
10. Bathory                                                             

The 10 Greatest Bands that are Borderline/Confused with Metal:
1. Guns N' Roses
2. AC/DC
3. Nine Inch Nails
4. Rage Against the Machine
5. Motley Crue
6. Alice in Chains
7. White Zombie
8. Skid Row
9. L.A. Guns
10. KISS

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
GNRreunioneventually
Legend

Her-Bert baybay

« Reply #54 on: January 05, 2007, 07:30:35 PM »

zman freedom78 nice lists ok ya know this should be its own thread "Make your own top 20(fuck VH1)"  ok peace

GNRreunioneventually

Called it Cheesy
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #55 on: January 07, 2007, 04:12:26 PM »

was this the show where baz was the host? if so it's on swedish MTV right now
GNRreunioneventually
Legend

Her-Bert baybay

« Reply #56 on: January 07, 2007, 05:16:49 PM »

no your thinking of the 40 best metal songs or somthing like that. That was VH1 last may for there Metal Month. the we are discusing now was on VH1 classic and some chick was the host of it dont know her name but she was pretty hot yes beer

GNRreunioneventually

Called it Cheesy
zman
Rocker

LONG LIVE 80's METAL!!

« Reply #57 on: January 08, 2007, 09:42:20 AM »

The chick that hosted the show is Sue Hoffman (I think).

GNRfan2008
Headliner

« Reply #58 on: January 09, 2007, 04:00:22 AM »

The 10 Greatest Metal Bands and Pre-Metal Pioneers:           
1. Black Sabbath                                                                     
2. Alice Cooper                                                                         
3. Deep Purple                                                                         
4. Iron Maiden                                                                     
5. Metallica                                                                         
6. Opeth                                                                     
7. Death                                                                           
8. Dark Tranquillity                                                               
9. Slayer                                                                               
10. Bathory                                                             

No offense, but how can you make a list of pre-metal pioneers and not have Zeppelin? They were just as important, if not more important, than Deep Purple.
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #59 on: January 09, 2007, 04:27:00 AM »

Um, because Deep Purple KILLS Led Zeppelin? Listen to the high, operatic vocals on "Child In Time". Look at the guitar/synth work and awesome solos. Just about every power metal band that has ever existed owes something to Deep Purple. Or Rainbow, more specifically, but Ritchie Blackmore refined much of Rainbow's elements while he was in Deep Purple.

There are also bands like Sir Lord Baltimore, Budgie, Blue Cheer, and Iron Butterfly to consider. Of all the important pre-metal and proto-metal bands, Led Zeppelin would barely make the top 20, if even that.

Freedom's list is good, but Dark Tranquillity and Opeth aren't that great, at least compared to those other bands. Judas Priest should be there for helping fire up the NWOBHM with the album Killing Machine and the leather look, and perhaps Mayhem, for its importance in 2nd wave black metal history.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: