Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 07:17:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227819 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  The Beatles/Cirque du Soleil remix
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beatles/Cirque du Soleil remix  (Read 1954 times)
WhiteRose
Rocker

Here Today...

« on: January 07, 2007, 12:08:56 AM »

In reading everyone's picks for the best albums of 2006 (my recommendations are included within that thread as well) I couldn't help but notice that a number of you included the new Beatles/Cirque du Soleil album entitled 'Love' amongst your favorites.?

So, for those of you who are interested, here is a recent NPR article about how that collaboration came about.? Also, there's a rather interesting radio interview with Giles Martin (son of George Martin) that goes further in-depth and even showcases a few songs off the album.?

The article is located below, but here's the link for both the story and the radio interview... enjoy!

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=6724341&ft=1&f=1039

Cheers,
W.R.? ? ?

Something in the Way You Remix
 by Bob Boilen

'Love' is the soundtrack to a Cirque du Soleil show that celebrates The Beatles and their legacy. Capitol Records ? 2006

Weekend Edition Saturday, January 6, 2007 ? When Cirque du Soleil needed music for a Beatles-inspired theatrical performance, the call went out to George Martin, the Beatles? longtime producer. Now in his 80s, Martin asked his son, Giles, for help. And the two of them set out to remix the group's classic songs, first for the performance and then for an album.

Creating a new Beatles album using only old four-track recordings was no easy task. Giles Martin said that for him, the project all started with a demo tape he put together, adding percussion to Here Comes the Sun and I Am the Walrus. He let Ringo Starr and Paul McCartney listen.

"You know, they loved it. In fact, [they] came in and said maybe you should go a bit further," Giles Martin says.

An accomplished producer and musician in his own right, Giles was still nervous about tweaking the Beatles catalogue -- a sacrilegious act in some music circles. But with his father by his side, he plowed ahead.

"The two of us sat down and I went through stuff with him. I played him stuff that he couldn't remember. And I certainly wasn't aware of most of it. And I wrote down keys and tempos and interesting parts," Giles said.

The father-son team reimagined the Beatles, merging bass lines and guitar riffs and choruses from old favorites. And in the end, it all comes together on Love.

Listen to more of Bob Boilen's interview with Giles Martin.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=6724341&ft=1&f=1039

lennonisgod
VIP

TWAT

« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2007, 03:16:19 PM »

'Love' actually turned out MUCH better than I had expected it too. I think there is already a thread for this album though so don't be surprised if this one disappears soon.

But anyway, 'Love' ended up being a pretty good listen and I'm a Beatles fan that believes that their songs should NEVER be altered in any kind of way because they really are perfect in their present state.  But this album worked, it sounded great and in the end I was very pleased that 'Love' was released. I'm not surprised at all that it's on so many people's "Best of 2006 Albums List." It's definitely on mine but then again, I can't think of too many albums that came out this year that really blew me away.  Hmmmmm... Bob Dylan's new album, Tom Waits' 3 disc set was pretty good, Post War by M. Ward was amazing...

Social class and registers, Cocaine in the hall, All the way from California...
WhiteRose
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2007, 06:43:59 PM »

Just out of curiosity... has anybody here seen the Cirque du Soleil performance (at The Mirage Hotel in Las Vegas) that this album was created for?? I'm a big fan of both The Beatles and of the Cirque du Soleil, but oddly enough... I have yet to see this particular show.? Cry

Would love to hear some feedback from those of you who've already seen it.

Cheers,
W.R.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2007, 07:02:44 PM by WhiteRose » Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: