Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 08, 2024, 05:28:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228015 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  Tennis-Aussie Open
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tennis-Aussie Open  (Read 8100 times)
Ignatius
Legend

« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2007, 03:35:18 AM »

Agassi isnt the greatest ever, I may have reached a little far with the French Open but I just have a hard time giving the Greatest ever moniker to a guy who clearly is dominating an era where men's tennis is at its lowest point.

I wouldnt say tennis is at its lowest point. There was also a time when Sampras would beat anyone during a few years, but tennis brought more attention cause two americans dominated the sport then. Even Nike would spend big bucks on TV ads to run on primetime in the US. You dont see that today cause americans dont really have a huge start.

Tennis is as exciting as it's ever been. It's more fun to watch (even if Federer is playing). The rallies are longer (in the mid 90's it was a little bit boring to watch, specially Wimbledon) and if you are lucky to witness a match between Nadal and Federer, you've got yourself a show there.

U really think Federer is better than Bjorg or Laver or Sampras?

To be honest, I never saw Bjorg play. I've seen highlights of his career, but that's as far as it gets. I was too young when he was around. From what I've seen, I think Federer has a better game than Bjorg. Lot's of similarities, but Federer seems to do every little stroke slightly better.

Laver? Never really saw him play. That's a guy with great history in the game and one of the best (so they say..) but I? havent seen enough footage of him.

Sampras? That was an amazing player. The best I've ever seen. No one could beat him then when he was on top of his game, not even the best agassi could beat him when he was on top of his game. Clutch player too, he would bring his game to another level when he needed it the most.

Federer is like Sampras in many ways. He's such a clutch player. I dont think Federer could be considered the best player tennis has ever seen yet. Sampras's won more tournaments so its too early. However, having watched both players play, Federer has the perfect game. I did say this in another post, but Federer (like Tiger in Golf) is just the best in almost every aspect of the game. Best forehand, best backhand, best volley, best handles pressure, best defensive plays...he is just too good.? Sampras had an amazing serve, amazing volley, great forehand...his backhand was his weakest stroke though...

What if Pete Sampras played against the competition that Federer faces today, how many more grand slams would he have?

That's very hard to tell, same as what would happened if Federer had been around 10 years ago.

outside of Nadal there simply arent any great players and Federer doesnt dominate Nadal like Sampras did his contemporaries.

Agree (sorta). Nadal is an amazing young player. I just dont know why, but he surely knows how to drive the swiss nuts in a tennis court. However, Nadal is not yet in the same level as Federer. He has tremendous potential to be one of the best players the game has ever seen, but he's gotta lot to improve. Many players put Nadal in trouble these days; Blake, Berdych, Gonzalez...thing is he's won a lot of tournaments in the past two years. Maybe too quick. I dont think this year is going to be as successful as last (time will tell).

I guess Federer found his nemesis in Nadal. It happens, sometimes the best player faces difficulties with just one particular player and you dont know why. But the more macthes Nadal wins, the more psychological advantage he's got over the swiss. When Federer beat Nadal in last years Semi Final "Masters Cup" clash, he showed much more emotion than when he beat Blake in the final. That shows you how much pressure Federer has dealt with when playing against Nadal.

Federer however could go down as the greatest if he keeps his win streak up, but I just don't think at this stage in his career u can call him the Best ever.

Yeah, agree with that.
babydolls
VIP

Locomotive

« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2007, 12:33:37 PM »

thoughts on Andy Murray, people??

I had the good fortune of getting into Centre Court at Wimbledon last year and seeing him play (and win).  And its not just because I am Scottish, but he seems pretty damn sound.  Seems to be gaining momentum and respect in equal doses recently.  More interesting than Henman for sure...  very interested to see how he develops in major championships.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2007, 06:49:57 PM »

I really do like Rafeal Nadal.

What has hurt Federer is the inconsistent play of guys like Blake and Roddick.  Andy Roddick could be one of the biggest busts in United States Athletics. This guy has just never blossomed into the player he should be. He has every physical tool u could ask for, he just doesn't have it between the ears.

If those guys I just mentioned were steady, I think it would show Federer's true dominance.

I do agree with what you Ignatius now I think about it, Federer could be just so good he makes it appear as if there is no competition when in reality the guys he beats are actually really great.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Ignatius
Legend

« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2007, 05:34:52 AM »

What has hurt Federer is the inconsistent play of guys like Blake and Roddick.? Andy Roddick could be one of the biggest busts in United States Athletics. This guy has just never blossomed into the player he should be. He has every physical tool u could ask for, he just doesn't have it between the ears.

There was a time that I really thought he was going to be the next Sampras. He'd just hired Gilbert as a couch and won both Cincinnati and Toronto (master series tournanments) and the US open that year as well. He finished at number 1, but lost the Master Cup final to Federer. That ws in 2003, ever since that year, Roddick has gone down the hill. There was a sign of improvement last year when Jimmi Connors became his coach, but just a sign.

With Blake you never know..that guy always goes for the winner in any giving point. He can beat anybody (beat Nadal twice last year) if he has a good day, but he's not steady. This year though he'll do better than last, he's calmed a bit, so that'd help him to win more matches.

thoughts on Andy Murray, people??

I had the good fortune of getting into Centre Court at Wimbledon last year and seeing him play (and win).? And its not just because I am Scottish, but he seems pretty damn sound.? Seems to be gaining momentum and respect in equal doses recently.? More interesting than Henman for sure...? very interested to see how he develops in major championships.

Andy is one of the two players who beat Federer last year.

Andy Murray has been working with Brad Gilbert since the summer of 2006. Brad has always taken his players all the way to the top. Agassi was on his peak with Gilbert and so was Roddick. He's only 19, but he's got a great all around game. Nadal struggled big time to beat him in 5 sets in the 4th round of the Aussie open this year.

He's matured a lot in one year. Ever since he took Gilbert on board, he's more patient now. He can combine a flat shot with a slice and then a winner..against Nadal I was suprised to see a total change of strategy than what I've noticed earlier in the tournament. He's definitely got a very aggresive game, but he knows how to change it depending on the rival.? He is mot the typical british player though, Andy's more of a hard court baseline player, it'll be interesting to see his evolution on grass.

My prediction is that Andy Murray will finish in the top 8 or 9 this year. Blake top 5 and Roddick...well, aorund 6 or 7.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2007, 05:52:07 AM by Ignatius » Logged
Red_Locks
Headliner

...you can't put your hands around a memory...

« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2007, 08:41:47 AM »

Our newspaper today had an article about Marat Safin and Lleyton Hewitt..did they "peek" too early? Will they ever come back to their original level? (I hope so, they're entertaining to watch)

Thoughts on this?

Fuck the poets of the past, my friends..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=862JtVBBv78? ..GNR during their free time
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2007, 03:18:45 PM »

Lleyton Hewitt is another guy that I really enjoy watching.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
CAFC Nick
VIP

I don't know just what I should do...

« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2007, 11:58:35 AM »

Lleyton Hewitt is another guy that I really enjoy watching.

.....slide down the ATP rankings.
Ignatius
Legend

« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2007, 07:35:57 AM »

Our newspaper today had an article about Marat Safin and Lleyton Hewitt..did they "peek" too early? Will they ever come back to their original level? (I hope so, they're entertaining to watch)

Thoughts on this?

Marat Safin reminds a lot of Goran Ivanisevic. Pure talent, genius. He doesn't really have it between the ears though...He's won a few grandslams but he's not constant at all. If he gets the momentum going, he can win 3 tournaments in a row to then lose in the first round to a qualy in the next.

Hewitt is similar to Nadal. A fighter, a very competitive player, but not pure talent. He was lucky enough to win most of his tournaments when there was no one really dominating the game. Sampras had just retired (or about to) and Federer hadn't really exploded yet. I remember Ferrero also won the french open and a few master series tournaments then, but when Federer exploded, none of these players have been able to get back where they were.

Difficult to really say what will happen with these 3 players. I believe Ferrero and Hewitt are going to struggle when facing the new generation. Hewitt is a solid player in evey gran slam and usually reaches the quarters in pretty much any hard court event, but he doesnt have the game to compete against the heavy hitters. Ferrero could do well in the forthcoming clay court season, maybe even notch a win or two, but IMO he will not finish in the top 20. With Marat, it's really unpredictible though...hard to say.
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: