Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 05, 2024, 02:42:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227995 Posts in 43256 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  chinese democracy influences
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: chinese democracy influences  (Read 8673 times)
dub05
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #60 on: January 19, 2007, 08:21:08 AM »

Funny how no one mentioned Rammstein whilst you were all talking industrial. peace
AxlRose4eva1
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #61 on: January 19, 2007, 09:06:21 AM »

People who say there are no influences do not understand music.  There are always influences, that doesnt mean copying.  To say there are no influences on previous gnr records is almost a joke considering they cover other bands works.  When you cover someone elses stuff you are "influenced" by it.  Not to mention Axl has mentioned who he was musically influenced by in many interviews.  Just check out the Kurt Loder one.

Muse is terrible and GNR is not influenced by them one bit and if they are then they might as well kick out 3 band members cause you only need 3-4 to do what muse does.  I dont remember Axl ever saying "I love Muse", but it wouldnt surprise me, Axl likes shi**y music.  Im sorry I know its 100% opinion but thats my opinion.  Lou Bega, No Doubt, Public Enemy, NWA, I cant listen to any of that stuff.

I do agree with jarmo though that disco/pop beats will be probably used.  GNR hasnt been metal in the traditional sense since 1987 and I see this trend continuing.  They are like a smarter metal band with a more melodic tone and more passion.  I also think Elton John/Queen will be important and I really would not be surprised if there is a heavily country influenced song. 

To all the people saying "there will be no influences" while i do think that is an absurd comment I kinda agree with it. I think that they are taking (subconciously probably) bits and pieces from several different musical genres and creating something that is entirely unique.  I think the old line up probably has the biggest influence on the band than any other.  I hear Izzy in TWAT and I hear slash in IRS.   These guys are gone, but Axl I know has learned a lot from them and with the addition of musicians from all sorts of spectrums I think this album will be a chaotic mix of several genres.  Thats one reason why its taken so long.  NIN albums take 5 years to create Reznor has said because of the inticasies (i have no clue how to spell that and im not looking it up) of combining industrial/techno and pop.  Axl has to combine more than that and I think he went down a lot of dead ends.  I am sure there are some humorous versions of several of these songs.  Axl has to mix these influences correctly or else it will sound absurd, but if he does it right it could be one of the most important albums in a long while.
DeN
Legend

I've been living on the edge so long

« Reply #62 on: January 19, 2007, 09:38:46 AM »

the fact is, like me and i'm sure a lot of you, Axl loves music, and he doesn't
care about the style.

a good song is a good song.

Hey Ya from Outkast, for example, is one of my favourite song of last year.

they can fight about it, money, it's a bag of gold.
they can fight about it, money, the story goes.
AxlFink
VIP

thelesserkings.com

« Reply #63 on: January 19, 2007, 10:00:56 AM »

muse is an amazing band and id be willing to put good money on axl having them on his ipod.  do you have ratt in your walkman??                 
DuffRock
Rocker

www.cafepress.com/patiencepays

« Reply #64 on: January 19, 2007, 10:07:20 AM »

muse is an amazing band and id be willing to put good money on axl having them on his ipod.  do you have ratt in your walkman??                 

yes i do, what point are you trying to make?  Huh

russtcb
Takin' Care Of Business In A Flash
Legend

« Reply #65 on: January 19, 2007, 10:10:16 AM »

Are you crazy?

CD will have the influence of Axl's lyrics just like UYI. This is GN'R. There's no influence...

There is and there was during UYI-time too..

Other then maybe the Rolling Stones influence on Izzy's writing specifically, I can't imagine what influences you might be talking about.

As for CD, I think tracks like Better prove that it's going to be very original and innovative on it's own.

Yeah, but you're already getting the dumbasses out crying that Better sounds emo.

What in the fuck sounds emo about Better? I haven't heard anything ever like Better...

Holy shit I hadn't heard that!! I agree with you, I've never heard anything like Better let alone emo!

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
https://www.youtube.com/infectiousgroovepodcast
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #66 on: January 19, 2007, 10:18:06 AM »

a good song is a good song.

And sometimes even on a no good song by a band you don't like you can find an element of good.  yes

Just check out the Kurt Loder one.

here it is.

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/articles/showarticle.php?articleid=28

Old but relevant.  He gives his views on the influences and the spirit of GN'R.
AxlFink
VIP

thelesserkings.com

« Reply #67 on: January 19, 2007, 10:21:49 AM »

muse represents the good sounds of todays music and their musicianship is amazing. ? from what we have heard cd will the good aspects of todays music ?mixed in with what made them great in the past. ?someone criticized axls musical taste a few posts back because he listens to no doubt and nwa and whatever and said muse sucks among other things. ?so,my pointis that an older gnr fan listening to a shit band like ratt on a walkman may not get certain ?parts of ?cd or what influenced it. ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?
hi irit. ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #68 on: January 19, 2007, 10:33:01 AM »

muse represents the good sounds of todays music and their musicianship is amazing.   from what we have heard cd will the good aspects of todays music  mixed in with what made them great in the past.  someone criticized axls musical taste a few posts back because he listens to no doubt and nwa and whatever and said muse sucks among other things.  so,my pointis that an older gnr fan listening to a shit band like ratt on a walkman may not get certain  parts of  cd or what influenced it.                               
hi irit.                   

Ratt arnt a shit band.

If muse represent todays music then we are well and truly fucked as a generation.

html sucks
The Legend
Killer
VIP

DX sez "Suck It!"

« Reply #69 on: January 19, 2007, 11:08:49 AM »

muse represents the good sounds of todays music and their musicianship is amazing. ? from what we have heard cd will the good aspects of todays music ?mixed in with what made them great in the past. ?someone criticized axls musical taste a few posts back because he listens to no doubt and nwa and whatever and said muse sucks among other things. ?so,my pointis that an older gnr fan listening to a shit band like ratt on a walkman may not get certain ?parts of ?cd or what influenced it. ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?
hi irit. ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

Embarrassed

I like Ratt.

"Anybody who is sitting here - in the year 2007 - and arguing that this band isn't guns n roses has to be half retarded." - Jim Bob, HTGTH poster, 2007.

GNR shows:
10/25/06
10/27/06
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #70 on: January 19, 2007, 11:10:27 AM »

muse represents the good sounds of todays music and their musicianship is amazing.   from what we have heard cd will the good aspects of todays music  mixed in with what made them great in the past.  someone criticized axls musical taste a few posts back because he listens to no doubt and nwa and whatever and said muse sucks among other things.  so,my pointis that an older gnr fan listening to a shit band like ratt on a walkman may not get certain  parts of  cd or what influenced it.                               
hi irit.                   

Embarrassed

I like Ratt.

dont be embarressed, if you like it, fuck em!

html sucks
The Legend
Killer
VIP

DX sez "Suck It!"

« Reply #71 on: January 19, 2007, 11:13:52 AM »

muse represents the good sounds of todays music and their musicianship is amazing.? ?from what we have heard cd will the good aspects of todays music? mixed in with what made them great in the past.? someone criticized axls musical taste a few posts back because he listens to no doubt and nwa and whatever and said muse sucks among other things.? so,my pointis that an older gnr fan listening to a shit band like ratt on a walkman may not get certain? parts of? cd or what influenced it.? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?
hi irit.? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

Embarrassed

I like Ratt.

Growin' up, at least in the late-80's, as far as current bands went, they were like my #3 behind GN'R & Metallica.

"Anybody who is sitting here - in the year 2007 - and arguing that this band isn't guns n roses has to be half retarded." - Jim Bob, HTGTH poster, 2007.

GNR shows:
10/25/06
10/27/06
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #72 on: January 19, 2007, 11:17:24 AM »

hi irit.                   

Embarrassed

I like Ratt.

Growin' up, at least in the late-80's, as far as current bands went, they were like my #3 behind GN'R & Metallica.

I dont know why they are so hated, they have some great riffs and guitar solos, theyre not a serious band, they are a fun band and an enjoyable one. Riffs they make are the high point for me.

anyway back on topic, id love axl to have a track which has like, slide guitar but done modern styled?

html sucks
AdZ
It's LiberAdZe, bitch!
HTGTH Crew
Legend

« Reply #73 on: January 19, 2007, 11:18:25 AM »

Okay, this isn't a thread about Muse or Ratt.  There's a section for this. Discuss that there.

Oh and, Ratt sucked.
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #74 on: January 19, 2007, 11:19:25 AM »

Okay, this isn't a thread about Muse or Ratt.  There's a section for this. Discuss that there.

Oh and, Ratt sucked.

well if youd have given chance, if you look at my post i set it back on topic.

and in regards to your oppinion, id rather them than muse.

html sucks
AxlFink
VIP

thelesserkings.com

« Reply #75 on: January 19, 2007, 11:32:53 AM »

omg,   ok.....    ratt n roll starts now!           
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #76 on: January 19, 2007, 11:41:20 AM »

omg,   ok.....    ratt n roll starts now!           

i have to admit, even though that was a pisstake, i laughed.  hihi

anyway, does anyone agree, a slide guitar song...but made into like some sort of new way of doing it, with industrial beats or something.

html sucks
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #77 on: January 19, 2007, 01:21:33 PM »

The reason I mentioned disco was because Axl mentioned there being disco beats in Oh My God.   Grin

There's a disco drum beat in the post-chorus, in the heaviest section of the song. We blended a lot of things.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #78 on: January 19, 2007, 02:30:38 PM »

The disco beats (in that "oh, if it opens your eyes...") are really cool. I remember he talked about some "hip-hop" beats too, but saying it would be more like Radiohead use. So, I guess Radiohead was also an influence.

nonlinear
VIP

« Reply #79 on: January 19, 2007, 03:09:38 PM »

i'm sure that radiohead will prove to be a big influence on CD.  i've said that on this board before, but everyone is always like "radiohead sucks" and other lame shit.

But really, anyone who studies music would probablly agree that radiohead is like the only rock band out there these days who continues to experiment and push the boundaries of the genre (does radiohead even fit into a genre?) while stilll writing catchy, commercailly-sucessfull songs.

and we know axl is a radiohead fan.  he has mentioned their music in interviews (hip-hop beats) and also saw them at least one time live in like 1999 or so (when he was frisked at the security gate)

"This isn't McDonald's or Burger King - it isn't 'Have it your way.'"
- Axl Rose, as cited by Del James
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: