Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 05:45:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228061 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  Bill would make state first to ban swatting of children under 4
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bill would make state first to ban swatting of children under 4  (Read 6471 times)
Sterling
« on: January 19, 2007, 12:25:59 PM »

« Last Edit: August 15, 2007, 12:15:27 AM by Sterling » Logged
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2007, 12:40:20 PM »

well, they need to look at england and how being unable to smack children has brought up a lovely new generation known as chavs.

html sucks
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2007, 12:52:40 PM »

I'd go further and make a prison sentence mandatory for anyone who hit a child - of whatever age

Its abuse by despicable parents - attacking a child is about as low as you can possibly go and a lengthy sentence is in order. How dare someone assault their own child for their inadaquate parenting?

If you need to hit your child to make them behave you shouldnt be allowed anywhere near a child - but wait, violence and fear is the way to raise children Roll Eyes

Send the bastards to jail

Quick! To the bandwagon!
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2007, 12:56:00 PM »

I'd go further and make a prison sentence mandatory for anyone who hit a child - of whatever age

Its abuse by despicable parents - attacking a child is about as low as you can possibly go and a lengthy sentence is in order. How dare someone assault their own child for their inadaquate parenting?

If you need to hit your child to make them behave you shouldnt be allowed anywhere near a child - but wait, violence and fear is the way to raise children Roll Eyes

i think smacking, not hard, with a warning first  to give the child a chance to stop, is fine.

html sucks
Izzy
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2007, 01:08:00 PM »

i think smacking, not hard, with a warning first? to give the child a chance to stop, is fine.

why dont u try talking with the child - withholding sweets etc?

No wonder people are so aggresive if they were taught violence IS the answer

Children are very impressionable - how the fuck does hurting them benefit them in anyway? What kind of damage does that do - and what kind of emotional wall is that building between you and your child?

If you love your children how could you possibly hurt them - you'd do terrible things to someone if they hit your child, but when you do it....thats okay? Are children your personal toys to be played with as you wish?

Children are naturally naughty - humans automatically test their environment to see what restraits they work within - just because you (the parent) werent prepared for children and the ordeal they can be - that aint the child's fault

by 'you' i dont mean anyone specifically Smiley

Quick! To the bandwagon!
zman
Rocker

LONG LIVE 80's METAL!!

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2007, 01:35:35 PM »

You where never spanking on the butt, hand slapped, pinched, kicked in the butt  or anything like that by your parents?

i think smacking, not hard, with a warning first to give the child a chance to stop, is fine.

Yeah sending people to prison is the answer........ NOT. Just what we need for our already over crowded prisons here in California. These politicians are going just a little to far with there law making. I do not need the goverment making laws telling me how to raise my child. Giving a child a light spanking is OK but if you spank a child and leave welts or black and blue marks that is a not OK.  Next it will be that you can not yell at your kids,  send them to their room, timeouts sitting in a chair facing the wall or some other punishment will be against the law.

"IT'S ONE LOUDER ISN'T IT?"

"It's like a Sherlock Holmes story-a lot of fog and pipes."
Izzy
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2007, 01:38:43 PM »

I do not need the goverment making laws telling me how to raise my child.

well if your hitting your child then perhaps you do - this law isnt for the parents benefit, but the childs

Quick! To the bandwagon!
zman
Rocker

LONG LIVE 80's METAL!!

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2007, 01:45:20 PM »

I understand it is for the childs benefit. Who is to say what hitting is? What if I am at a grocery store with my son and we are playing (which I do alot with him) and I slap him on his butt and the grocery clerk sees this and calls the authorities and now i get a fine because some 16 year old kid thinks i am beating my son. 

"IT'S ONE LOUDER ISN'T IT?"

"It's like a Sherlock Holmes story-a lot of fog and pipes."
supaplex
VIP

just another lazy prick

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2007, 01:57:14 PM »

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=beat

The Dog
Legend

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2007, 02:25:03 PM »

Izzy you are out of your mind.  My parents spanked/slapped me and all 5 of my brothers when we misbehaved. NONE of us ever got into fights, none of us ever tried drugs, none of us did anything seriously bad - in other words it didnt effect our behaviour negatively at all.  If anything it made us behave better b/c nobody wanted to get spanked again.  All of us are successfuly, well adjusted, normal adults now.

You want to try to "reason with" a 4 year old?Huh  Thats just ridiculous.  Children aren't equals, they are not your friends.  They are kids. 

If you want to point to aggressive behavior in kids i'd say video games and violent movies have a much bigger impression then a spank or two.

"You're the worst character ever Towelie."
Mal Brossard
There should be a title here....
VIP

Iihan stuoramus alo vuoitte.

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2007, 02:57:17 PM »

Izzy you are out of your mind.  My parents spanked/slapped me and all 5 of my brothers when we misbehaved. NONE of us ever got into fights, none of us ever tried drugs, none of us did anything seriously bad - in other words it didnt effect our behaviour negatively at all.  If anything it made us behave better b/c nobody wanted to get spanked again.  All of us are successfuly, well adjusted, normal adults now.

You want to try to "reason with" a 4 year old?Huh  Thats just ridiculous.  Children aren't equals, they are not your friends.  They are kids. 

If you want to point to aggressive behavior in kids i'd say video games and violent movies have a much bigger impression then a spank or two.

Fuckin' A!  Well said!

Count me in as another one who was spanked as a child.  I rarely got into fights, never did any drugs, and was only nailed for anything by the police once, and it was for a 7th degree misdemeanor trespassing.  Had the old hag across the street not had too much time on her hands and called the cops for us just checking out a half-built home to find out how the hell the builders could want $200,000 for the thing, I would never have been nailed for anything.

I'm now 22, I have a steady job, a B.S. in journalism, and have attended private schools my whole life.  So I'd say I turned out pretty damn well.

California is going to ruin this country eventually.

I’ll be the last to say "Don’t follow your heart," but there’s more to what it takes to be a man.
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2007, 03:00:00 PM »

Obedience is the most important value children can be taught. Maddox explains it best. Children are not the same as adult citizens. They have to be molded with discipline before being the same as men like me. They have to be taught fear of man and God to learn control of their actions.

The law is ridiculous. Any respectable whipping will result in bruises and broken skin. My children will never become like chavs or rednecks when they mature.
nonlinear
VIP

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2007, 03:17:08 PM »

Obedience is the most important value children can be taught. Maddox explains it best. Children are not the same as adult citizens. They have to be molded with discipline before being the same as men like me. They have to be taught fear of man and God to learn control of their actions.

The law is ridiculous. Any respectable whipping will result in bruises and broken skin. My children will never become like chavs or rednecks when they mature.

dude, i'm sorry but you sound like a damn backwoods hillbilly yourself  hihi

"This isn't McDonald's or Burger King - it isn't 'Have it your way.'"
- Axl Rose, as cited by Del James
nycangel
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2007, 03:30:06 PM »

passing that law is ridiclous. parents raise their children how they see fit, and the government has no right to say anything about what goes on with children and parents. if the child is being beaten to the point where he or she cant walk, then the parent should be thrown in to jail, because thats child abuse. but for the government to tell you how to raise and discipline your child, is ridiclous. they have no right.
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2007, 03:30:56 PM »

Assemblywoman Sally Lieber, a Mountain View Democrat who is crafting the measure, said corporal punishment victimizes helpless children and contributes to a society "addicted to violence."

I'm sure you'll all be surprised to hear that this woman has never had any children.

supaplex
VIP

just another lazy prick

« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2007, 03:51:30 PM »

so if someone gives his/her child a slap over the ass for something that the child did wrong the police will throw the parent in jail for one year??? so, how would you explain to the child that his mother/father who he's spent his whole life with(0-4 years) that the person he is the most attached to won't be there anymore for him? how can a child so young can cope with not having his parents around? some people are really stupid rant

Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2007, 05:44:52 PM »

While I personally don't believe in spanking, I think this law is ridiculous.

peace

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
axl_rose_700
Legend

Guns n' fuckin roses!

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2007, 06:27:59 PM »

I do not need the goverment making laws telling me how to raise my child.

well if your hitting your child then perhaps you do - this law isnt for the parents benefit, but the childs

I think there are two types of smacking, if it's a light slap on the arse like I used to get with a warning giving me chance to stop and behave myself then it is fine but just randomly attacking your child is way over the top and anyone who does that needs to go to jail

That's a hatrick for Doull
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2007, 07:03:42 PM »

Physical punishment really makes no sense.  However, it's very easy to administer and gives immediate results.  Ease and immediate gratification...now those are two attributes our current society can appreciate!

How terrible would it be for parents to learn self-control?  How awful would it be for parents to not lose their cool?  I think alot of new parents don't realize there is an alternative to smacking a kid to get immediate results.  If parents are consistent in severity and style of non-physical discipline, they will be much more likely to raise non-violent children.  To those here in the forum who are proud to announce they were spanked and turned out perfectly fine, that's great.  However, the studies all show you are in the minority on this one.  Sorry.   

I officiated youth basketball for 7 years with ages ranging from middle school to varsity high school games.  The kids are influenced by adults.  When parents and coaches behave like a-holes, so do the kids.  When parents and coaches behave appropriately, so do the kids.  When parents and coaches disrespect officials, so do the kids.  Amazing, huh?

However...a law like this is ridiculous.  First off, how is it alright to hit a 5 year old and not a 4 year old?  Second, I can just see the parent telling the kid, "Just wait till we're outta this store..." and the swatting would be twice as hard when they're out of others' sights.

BTW, has anybody ever spent any time in downtown urban areas?  I have and it isn't pretty.  Needless to say, these teen moms and dads (if they're even around) smack their kids all the time.  In fact I've seen them watching their own kids fight.  There's a mentality that fosters violence.  Kid cries, "Be a man!" is heard.  Fuck that shit.   rant

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
-Jack-
Kickin' it old school
Legend

DT imba

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2007, 08:18:37 PM »

Was I the only one who thought Izzy was out of his mind?  nervous confused

A parent should have the right to spank their kids if necessary.. I was only spanked once in my whole childhood and I turned out fine. Laws are giving children too much control.. they should know their limits and well if you have to spank em once who cares?

My father was hit with a belt growing up and he is one of the most gentle people I know. He is smart and intelligent, graduated from UCLA, is an artist and is now a teacher. Spanking hasn't made him violent OR hate his parents. My grandfather (the one who spanked him) is the kindest person I know and is amazingly good hearted. I look up to the guy and he is certainly not evil or angry.

Personally I don't plan on spanking my kids. Doesn't make this law right either way.

gnrevolution.com
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: