Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 04:37:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227936 Posts in 43254 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  Rolling Stone - The Axl Rose Edict
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rolling Stone - The Axl Rose Edict  (Read 19877 times)
Therewasabetterirs
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #60 on: February 02, 2007, 08:49:23 PM »

yeah its lucky most of us got the internet aint it jimbob otherwise we'd be like who the fuck r these guys Wink
2007what!
Banned
Rocker

Shut Up And Be A Victim Of Authority

« Reply #61 on: February 02, 2007, 08:52:07 PM »

this is what i told people eight years ago, back then most people seemed to be against it.
glad some eyes have been opened. axl takes good care of the guns n' roses name, and they're right, he was always the real creative force behind guns n' roses and he continues to be. you fuckers who doubt him will be proven so wrong, and i'm gonna stand proudly by his side knowing i supported him every step of the way.

you can find him at the pub with the grub stain chuggin on a small tub of pain to his bugged brain
oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #62 on: February 02, 2007, 09:45:24 PM »

this is what i told people eight years ago, back then most people seemed to be against it.
glad some eyes have been opened. axl takes good care of the guns n' roses name, and they're right, he was always the real creative force behind guns n' roses and he continues to be. you fuckers who doubt him will be proven so wrong, and i'm gonna stand proudly by his side knowing i supported him every step of the way.

listen to Hollywood Rose; that listen to AFD Grin
luciano
Banned
Rocker

Axl-Izzy-Slash-Duff-Steven!

« Reply #63 on: February 02, 2007, 10:08:02 PM »

Axl was THE creative force on Guns n' Roses?? rofl rofl rofl rofl
This is THE joke of the century.

Izzy and Slash and Duff and Steven WROTE LIKE 80-90% OF THE MUSIC (with the exception of SOME vocal melodies and SOME lyrics). If you know a little of GN'R story you know that some musics (example: Brownstone, Patience, Think About You) actually had melodies and lyrics before Axl ever touched them.

Axl was A creative force on Guns n' Roses. A strong one. But NEVER the only one. Guns n' Roses was a BAND. A collaborative multi-dimensional effort. That is one of the reasons that made GN'R SO GREAT.

If you people CAN NOT SEE THAT, maybe it is because you are IGNORANT. And that is ok, because there is always time to learn. But if you know just a little about GN'R and still can not see that, well that is because you are BLIND or DEAF or in DENIAL. Or because you have EVIL MANIAC intentions of twisting the FACTS.

Rolling Stone? They are just showing how little knowledge (and respect by their readers) they have (and, in extent, by themselves). They are probably so desperate to get an Axl exclusive interview or something that they do not care about TWISTING THE FACTS in order to please the man and get it done!

Luciano
« Last Edit: February 02, 2007, 10:10:59 PM by luciano » Logged
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #64 on: February 03, 2007, 01:25:56 AM »

No one gains by the whole Old v. New debate. I don't see why everyone involved can't  just embrace and celebrate the GN'R history of the past- and give the due respect to the former members (as well as support their current projects) and the insane success they achieved between 87-93 they deserve- while at the same time getting excited about the new band and be pleased that in this day and age you can still go by a ticket to a GN'R show, read about GN'R in Rolling Stone, hear about them on MTV, VH-1, and perhaps, maybe, fingers crossed, if you're good, buy a new GN'R album. Life is not THAT bad in GN'R world- but everyone (both supporters of the new band as well as the old) seems to always focus on the negative...

Amen brother!  So many on here seem to believe they're being forced to choose between old GNR and new, as if you'll go to your local record store and be required to turn in your copy of Appetite, when picking up Chinese Democracy.  But it ain't so!  GNR has always been my favorite band, and that's the GNR that released Appetite, Lies, and UYI.  I don't know whether this new album will definitely be better or worse than the old material, but I'm sure I'll at least LIKE it...and that doesn't mean I don't love the stuff done before the old lineup(s) split up.

Say it with me, people: IT'S NOT A FUCKING COMPETITION! 

If it is a competition to you, then I feel very sorry for you, because the old stuff is great, and I anticipate the new will be as well.  If you can't bring yourself to enjoy both, then I guess you're shit outta luck.     

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
Bartlet
Banned
VIP

Here Today...And Back Tommorrow

« Reply #65 on: February 03, 2007, 08:12:56 AM »

i kinda have trouble accepting that gnr is anything other than axl really too. even back in the day, he and slash would make decisions then run them by duff, but axl would ultimately decide.

we may never see the new band behave more like a band, as its quite clear that axl has put this band together and very much leads it.

we may never see the others get involved in promo interviews etc. they may just have to settle for their contributions being recognised in the form of writing credits in the album info.

Speaking of writing credits, all we have to do to know whether axl was gnr in the old days is look at the writing credits. O, and then remember the fact that if he didnt wnat it to happen, it didnt.

Evidence for all this can be found in the interviews section of this very website. but i spose people cant be bothered to read. too busy throwing ill informed opinions around.

I would'nt do that if I were you.
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #66 on: February 03, 2007, 08:03:50 PM »

Speaking of writing credits, all we have to do to know whether axl was gnr in the old days is look at the writing credits. O, and then remember the fact that if he didnt wnat it to happen, it didnt.

So true.  Regardless of what the lineup is at any given time, Axl has always had the most control and called the shots for the most part.    GNR is his band.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #67 on: February 03, 2007, 08:14:53 PM »

Jim Bob how can u say we shouldnt bring Slash into a conversation that IS ABOUT THE OLD BAND.

are u serious?

What do u think this thread and topic are about?

Axl Rose IS NOT and NEVER WILL be Guns N Roses.

Luciano Excellent post, I couldn't have said it better.

Axl was A member of Guns N Roses.

This isnt Prince and The Revolution where Prince wrote and recorded every song and every musical instrument and only used The Revolution as a touring band.

This isnt Trent Reznor who does all the work himself and then uses a touring band to play live.

Axl wrote vocals,melodies,lyrics,piano and a guitar part here and there on One In A million and Dead Horse.  That is hardly being a SOLE Creative force.

That would be like calling Robert Plant the creative force behind Led Zepplin.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #68 on: February 03, 2007, 08:34:18 PM »

Jim Bob how can u say we shouldnt bring Slash into a conversation that IS ABOUT THE OLD BAND.

are u serious?
I'm saying he's not in the fucking band anymore and I dont care to talk about Slash.   Fuck slash, I'm sick of hearing people whine for him and shit.   Its nonstop.  People wont let go of the fucking past and Slash has no fucking involvment in GNR anymore.   

Axl Rose IS NOT and NEVER WILL be Guns N Roses

Since you seem to like to keep redundently repeating yourself, I'll go ahead and do the same thing.   You are right, while GNR is Axl's band, he alone is not Guns N' Roses.   Guns N' Roses is Axl, Dizzy, Robin, Tommy, Richard, Chris, Ron, Brain, and Frank.

Notice, your precious Slash is not in that list of names.   Get a fucking clue.
2007what!
Banned
Rocker

« Reply #69 on: February 03, 2007, 10:48:00 PM »

Axl was THE creative force on Guns n' Roses?? rofl rofl rofl rofl

Izzy and Slash and Duff and Steven WROTE LIKE 80-90% OF THE MUSIC (with the exception of SOME vocal melodies and SOME lyrics).

your overwhelming lack of information and obvious bias towards axl should disqualify your membership on this board.

you can find him at the pub with the grub stain chuggin on a small tub of pain to his bugged brain
mdttkk
Rocker

« Reply #70 on: February 03, 2007, 11:10:31 PM »

Axl was THE creative force on Guns n' Roses?  rofl rofl rofl rofl

Izzy and Slash and Duff and Steven WROTE LIKE 80-90% OF THE MUSIC (with the exception of SOME vocal melodies and SOME lyrics).

your overwhelming lack of information and obvious bias towards axl should disqualify your membership on this board.

yea what he said
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #71 on: February 04, 2007, 04:29:00 AM »

U guys are aware that Axl didnt write the guitar parts, drum parts, bass parts and on quite a few songs the lyrics or melodies right?

U guys are aware of that arent u?

2007what!
Banned
Rocker

« Reply #72 on: February 04, 2007, 07:13:19 AM »

yeah, but i'm talking about melody lines, lyrics and also picking out the guitar solos he liked when he heard them come into shape.
you are aware of that aren't you?

ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #73 on: February 04, 2007, 12:22:38 PM »

Creativity=Originality

What elements of a song call for originality the most?  Drum beats, chord progression, riffs or vocal melody and lyrics?
Which parts ought to be dissimilar to those of other songs in order to make the song original and not a cheat?

wannabe| 2/2/2007, 1:56 am EST
wannabe/

Was this really you who wrote this comment jarmo??  Huh

did you really think jarmo might have wrote that load of garbage? Huh
madagas
« Reply #74 on: February 04, 2007, 12:33:59 PM »

it's the singer not the song that makes the music move along...... peace that being said, the holy trinity of Axl-Slash-Izzy made the old band great. It remains to be seen as to who steps up on Chinese. peace
Sharky-dude
Headliner

Silence Isn't Golden When I'm Holding It Inside

« Reply #75 on: February 04, 2007, 12:52:22 PM »

The Blues
Madagascar
Chi Dem
Better
Catcher
IRS
TWAT

With songs like these the band is still very much Guns n Roses. And very much as good as ever. Axl is just fine with his new friends and doesn't miss (or need) anyone else.

!go Jets go!
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #76 on: February 04, 2007, 01:21:47 PM »

The new songs still have the Guns N Roses vibe.  Most of the ex-members music since their departure doesn't really sound like GnR at all.  Take the VR album for instance, none of those songs have a GnR vibe to them

The Blues, TWAT, and IRS all have a GnR vibe to them, just with a more modern sound.  The Blues in particular sounds like it could have been on UYI.  Even a song like Better which musically doesn't sound at all like old GnR still has the same type of vibe as say SCOM where it has a pop friendly catchiness to it but also has an edge that's missing in those type of rock songs from any other group. 

Obviously Axl wasn't the lone creative force behind the band, but when you listen to the new songs produced by the other band members and then the ones produced by Axl and the new GnR, the new GnR sounds more like the old GnR than anything the members of old GnR have done since they left
IzzyDutch
VIP

Here Today... Fuck The Hell

« Reply #77 on: February 04, 2007, 01:43:18 PM »

it's the singer not the song that makes the music move along......

That's funny cause I see it 50/50. When you have a great song both is great, the one isn't more important then the other.

As for the rest goes I agree with D and Luciano.
tHeElEcTrIcSiNtAr
VIP

« Reply #78 on: February 04, 2007, 01:48:49 PM »

U guys are aware that Axl didnt write the guitar parts, drum parts, bass parts and on quite a few songs the lyrics or melodies right?

U guys are aware of that arent u?

Just because he didnt physically write them doesnt mean he didnt influence them. I'm a singer in band and I cant really play guitar or drums, but I have riffs in my head and I tell my guitarists what to play sometimes. All you have to do is hum the riff or tell the drummer how to play a certain way and that is part of writing. So depsite your attempt to take away from Axl, I'm sure Axl was a lot more involved than you are giving credit for.

ShotgunBlues1978 I def agree with you. All the new songs have that Guns vibe to them, whereas everything that the other members have released does not. To me VR sounds more like STP then Guns.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #79 on: February 04, 2007, 03:15:28 PM »

^

I agree with that, I have done that before myself, but that didnt happen everytime here. Take NR and Estranged for instance.

Sure Axl may have had to Approve the Solo's but slash still had to come up with them,see what I am saying?

I don't argue that Axl pushed Slash to be the best he could be, but it was still Slash who had to write the solos etc.

All this being said, Axl is talented and creative enough to make a great record without the former band members, Dont get me wrong,t he songs we have heard are amazing.

I just want to point out that u dont have to hate or slag off the old bandmembers to be a fan of Axl or the new members.? ? U dont have to discredit and treat the old members as if they were stand ins.

Axl could've sit with CC Deville or some other 80's guitarist till he was blue in the face and they wouldn't have came up with SCOM, WTTJ, PC etc

See what I am sayin?

And it was SLASH who influenced AXL on SCOM.? Cause it was Slash's guitar part that inspired Axl to write their biggest hit.

So love Axl and the new band, but dont forget the greatness of the original, thats all I ask.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: