Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 06:09:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227829 Posts in 43249 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Whoa, early Van Halen is pretty heavy... METAL!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Whoa, early Van Halen is pretty heavy... METAL!  (Read 2454 times)
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« on: February 06, 2007, 04:24:58 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=VanHalenVideoMan1

I'm seriously considering early Van Halen, up to and including the first studio album, to be the best stuff the band ever did. After a while, they started leaning too much towards pop music. But early on, they had some really heavy stuff. Hell, I'll go as far as to say that they were an early metal band that, unfortunately, turned pop/rock.

Listen to the opening of Light in The Sky, from 1977. Then listen to Judas Priest's song, Beyond The Realms of Death, from 1978. Let's Get Rockin' is also heavy as hell, especially for its time. Damn it, why did Van Halen have to become famous? They could have been cult metal icons. In some ways, they were, to the hardcore fans who knew them before they exploded.

By the way, I don't give a shit about the reunion. It gave me the curiosity to check out the early stuff, which had been recommended to me for a long time, but that's all it has been good for, at least for me. As far as I'm concerned now, Van Halen burned out before David Lee Roth even left the band.

Whoever has more of these rarities, send me a PM, please. Wink
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2007, 11:07:54 AM »

van halen 1, 2, the album after it, and the album after that, all really great albums, then when they did the covers album they treaded into a more commercial sound, but still good.

html sucks
TAP
Banned
Rocker

March of the Pigs

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2007, 12:10:18 PM »

Van Halen was pretty much always had a "pop" element to most of their stuff even on the early albums but I mean that in a positive way. They were unlike any hard rock/metal band that had come before (except possibly Queen) in terms of arrangement, harmonies, hooks etc. You won't find many totally blues or minor key/classical based songs even on the early albums outside of a handful of songs. It was Ed's tone and Dave's swagger which made it hard rock.

Now doesn't that make you feel better?
The pigs have won tonight
Now they can all sleep soundly
And everything is all right
DEAD HORSE
VIP

08.08.08 ?

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2007, 03:20:55 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=VanHalenVideoMan1

I'm seriously considering early Van Halen, up to and including the first studio album, to be the best stuff the band ever did. After a while, they started leaning too much towards pop music. But early on, they had some really heavy stuff. Hell, I'll go as far as to say that they were an early metal band that, unfortunately, turned pop/rock.

Listen to the opening of Light in The Sky, from 1977. Then listen to Judas Priest's song, Beyond The Realms of Death, from 1978. Let's Get Rockin' is also heavy as hell, especially for its time. Damn it, why did Van Halen have to become famous? They could have been cult metal icons. In some ways, they were, to the hardcore fans who knew them before they exploded.

By the way, I don't give a shit about the reunion. It gave me the curiosity to check out the early stuff, which had been recommended to me for a long time, but that's all it has been good for, at least for me. As far as I'm concerned now, Van Halen burned out before David Lee Roth even left the band.

Whoever has more of these rarities, send me a PM, please. Wink

Becoming "famous" has nothing to do with being pop or stop being metal, Pantera was/is famous and they are METAL Pantera last album, "Reinventing the steel " is still METAL to me Wink , and yeah, Van Halen is metal (or at least metal oriented) and kick ass!

I mean, I could consider KISS a metal band, in the 80's 90's. there is a lot of metal guitar techniques on those songs. and its even funnier that the new GNR HAS metal oriented songs,( including guitar solos) which i love, for example, I.R.S buckethead's solo is pure shredding and metal in your face, i love it!.  anyway sorry to be out of topic, i just thought it would be helpful  beer

If the world would end today... Wink
Mama Kin
VIP

It's Just a Ride

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2007, 02:08:25 AM »

van halen 1, 2, the album after it, and the album after that, all really great albums, then when they did the covers album they treaded into a more commercial sound, but still good.

Which album was covers?

Learn to swim, I'll see you down in Arizona Bay
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2007, 02:34:07 AM »

Diver Down
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2007, 10:07:17 AM »

Diver Down

correct, it features the most random of covers, such as pretty woman.

html sucks
chriskon72
Rocker

Thus spake the Super-Guru...Did you hear that?

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2007, 09:48:13 AM »

Vh1 Vh2, Woman and Children First, Fair Warning, were fuckin kick ass albums, they were the shit.

1984 except for jump was a wicked album too Panama, Drop dead Legs, Hot for Teacher man those were the days I think I need a little VH right about now. Good Times man, I wasn't too crazy about the Hagar years they had the odd song that I liked but not much but... they have this song Amsterdam on the balance album that just fuckin smokes Sounds soo ol'school VH..
« Last Edit: February 11, 2007, 09:31:52 AM by chriskon72 » Logged

20.05.88 CNE Grandstand, Toronto
07.06.91 CNE Grandstand, Toronto
08.06.91 CNE Grandstand, Toronto
28.05.92 Kanstatterwasen, Stuttgart
26.06.93 Olympiastadion, Munich
07.04.10 Figali, Panama
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: