Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 01:46:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227819 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  * Hiroshima: Pictures they Didn't want us to see
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: * Hiroshima: Pictures they Didn't want us to see  (Read 21828 times)
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #60 on: February 07, 2007, 02:35:28 PM »

Izzy, i think you need to read up on your history more - the japanese were going to fight till the last man.? they were training civilian armys to fight with sharpened bamboo sticks.? the estimated casulties on the allies side (not just the US - the brits would have suffered terribly as well) were through the room.?

I've done more than enough readng on this subject Smiley

Japan was finished, they knew it, we knew it - but they had a lot of pride and wanted to surrender with a few terms in place, i.e no occupation - US said it was unconditional all the way.

The US prepared for an invasion but wouldn't have been anywhere near ready before early to mid '46 - now the chances Japan would have held on even till the end of 1945 is laughable

The allies murdered all those people over small print - and because they couldn't be bothered to wait a few months. A blockade would not have cost lives

I'll say again - Japan had NO OIL. They had nothing to fight with - Kamikazee missions were born of a reality they couldn't afford to spare fuels for return trips.....

There was no prospect of an invasion

and bamboo sticks? Oh no! hihi rofl I'd feel sorry for the army that fought tanks with bamboo!

Contrary to what many people think, it wasn't really the bomb that ended the pacific war, but the firebombing campaigns the US carried out (which were just as devastating as nukes). ?The firebomb campaign was literally wiping out cities, killing thousands at at time. ?With or without nukes, the fire bomb campaign was so devastating it would have ended the war.

Not really - Japan's industry was limited and not focused in the cities - destroying a load of wooden homes wasn't really achieving anything....of course given time it would have ended the war through simply exterminating the civilian population nervous

showing graphic pictures is a nice way to play on peoples emotions, but it doesn't tell the whole story. ?Read up on how the japanese killed/raped the chinese for years. ?the same civilians in the pictures wat-ever posted celebrated the kiling and raping of the chinese.

not sure how that justifies our own actions - two wrongs make a right?

its ugly, but its war. ?we can all agree its brutal and savage - but to say "oh they shouldn't have done it" is just narrow minded and naieve. ?maybe they should have thought about the repurcussions before they bombed pearl harbor. ?

so a civilian populace is responsible for the action of the controlling regime?

If Mugabe in Zimbawe invades...Angola...tommorow and kills a few milliom would it be okay to go and exterminate every darn civilian we can find in Zimbawe?

oh one last point: look into when the Soviet Union started looking east and when the nukes fell on Japan

You'll notice something.

America was afraid the Russians would invade first and needed to get Japan finished....immedietly.

The bombs fell as the US and USSR 'met' for the first time - and its in that context this has to be viewed - nonsense about stopping an invasion is neither here nor there

« Last Edit: February 07, 2007, 03:28:28 PM by Izzy » Logged

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #61 on: February 07, 2007, 02:43:04 PM »

http://fogonazos.blogspot.com/2007/02/hiroshima-pictures-they-didnt-want-us_05.html

attention Graphic imagery.

Please do NOT try to justify the bomb with your classical " it ended the war, it could have been worse " - there are too many recent exemples in international crisis involving the usa that just blow that escuse away.

PEACE

does anybody else see the irony of a 23 year old from FRANCE telling us about military strategy?

Thank you. You can leave now Wink

why because I am right?? France is the LAST...let me say that again the LAST country on EARTH that should be giving out military advice....your country is the most ungrateful country on this planet after all the United States has done for you....it makes me sick...but then again it totally reinforces every single bad thing I hear about Chirac and the rest of your country when I read the garbage you have been posting on this board.....you have absolutely ZERO knowledge about World War 2 and your first post is a perfect example of it....why dont you guys just stick to dropping your guns and waiting for America to solve all your problems....

Yes you right. France sucks.
Can you go now?

hmm I see you guys post just like you fight wars...tell me how did the Germans respond to "Ok you have invaded and conquered us, can you go now?"

Can we go back on the subject of the use of a nuclear bomb?
and the methods that can be used to resolve regional crisis?

ps: wal-mart is open! go !

you are questioning America's war record..and I am trying to FIND Frances....whats the problem? ?If America had the same attitude as France we would all have blue eyes and blonde hair and be speaking German...get back on the subject?? I am still tearing apart your FIRST post on here...i havent even gotten to the rest of them...its going to be a long day.....
« Last Edit: February 07, 2007, 02:46:02 PM by JohnSDMF » Logged
Where is Hassan Nasrallah ?
Coco
Legend

S?gol?ne Royal

« Reply #62 on: February 07, 2007, 02:46:28 PM »

Apparently it's only "ugly but this is war" on one side.

There are many parameters here.
The extremism of the response. (pearl harbor > nukes)
The simplicity of the answer. (nuclear bombs must end the war)
The unilateralism of the action. (fight against " irrational evil")

These parameters can easily be found in the methods used years later in many warfield.
Crisis that involved the same actor, and led to the same issues: worsening the issue.

But it seems that one party here is so deepluy engaged in a mental mechanic of protection, that they just CANNOT re-evaluate their analysis.

what i read here could be summed up by
" Japan played the game and payed the price. " - actual quote
What i want to know is, are you able to reverse that though and apply the same reasoning to something that happens to america?

JohnSDMF > i said you can go ! go play !? Grin
« Last Edit: February 07, 2007, 02:53:22 PM by WAT-EVER, i'm totally buggin » Logged

Sin Cut
Lovegun
Legend

« Reply #63 on: February 07, 2007, 03:28:48 PM »

You really like to try and put us in a profile?

Crisis that involved the same actor, and led to the same issues: worsening the issue.

If you're talking about the bomb, I think you're wrong. Since with these kind of weapons anyone will think twice before invading.

JohnSDMF > i said you can go ! go play !  Grin

You think you're funny , don't you?

Here's some free advice;
Grow up.

"The real reason a man hits on a girl - is to fight masturbation."
Coco
Legend

S?gol?ne Royal

« Reply #64 on: February 07, 2007, 03:35:30 PM »

You really like to try and put us in a profile?

If you're talking about the bomb, I think you're wrong. Since with these kind of weapons anyone will think twice before invading.

JohnSDMF > i said you can go ! go play !? Grin

You think you're funny , don't you?

Here's some free advice;
Grow up.

do not get angry, there is no need to.

i didnt meant the bomb, i meant the same actor and way of handling issues.

The use of the bomb did accelerate the need of other countries to get equiped
That is why France and many other countries have it now.
Stability can be reached if the weapon is only used as a deterrence object.

My first point was to question the use of the nuclear weapon in the absolute
it can lead to questioning any extreme action in handling an issue : this is where we get to iran and iraq.

i dont wanna fight with you guys.
I know it's easier to hate and define the other person as "anti semitic and crazy"
i just want you to get to a point where you can question methods.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2007, 04:01:42 PM by WAT-EVER, i'm totally buggin » Logged

nycangel
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #65 on: February 07, 2007, 04:08:19 PM »

im studying to be a history teacher, and pearl harbor was one of the worst things that happened to our country. bombing hiroshima was one of the only things we could do, and im glad we did it. you look at those pictures and say their horrible, but go watch pearl harbor documentaries, and see the horrors that our country went through. we were justified in doing that. we were attacked first on our soil, with our ships just at a total standstill. many innocent lives were taken, it was the only thing we could do. how about for some of you to be on americas side once in a while, and not the other countries?
Communist China
Banned
VIP

All the ladies are welcome to my jungle!

« Reply #66 on: February 07, 2007, 04:09:28 PM »

The way it was handled was probably not the best, but we had our policy of anything to preserve American lives (and win). And who knows what other countries would've challenged the US had we not shown off our power? Sounds pretty harsh and it is, but post WW II USA is the safest place there has arguably ever been in the world.

At least Japan knew we were in a war with them. Pearl Harbor and 9/11 were attacks that preceded any declaration of war and at least in Pearl Harbor's case was totally unprovoked.

that makes you a nut swinger. Deal with it.? ok
Coco
Legend

S?gol?ne Royal

« Reply #67 on: February 07, 2007, 04:11:12 PM »

I am on americas side on many thing, starting with WW2.
And the central africa.
many things.

Again, you cannot justify a horror by another horror.
it would like counting the deads and saying "one american dead , 5000 japs " ...

anyway
i'm off watching Robert Altman's Player. good movie.
i hope i didnt stress you guys too much, i just wanted to talk out this issue and check your point of view Smiley

PEACE to all of you.

The Dog
Legend

« Reply #68 on: February 07, 2007, 04:26:07 PM »

The way it was handled was probably not the best, but we had our policy of anything to preserve American lives (and win). And who knows what other countries would've challenged the US had we not shown off our power? Sounds pretty harsh and it is, but post WW II USA is the safest place there has arguably ever been in the world.

At least Japan knew we were in a war with them. Pearl Harbor and 9/11 were attacks that preceded any declaration of war and at least in Pearl Harbor's case was totally unprovoked.

not sure if thats 100% true, bin laden, if i'm not mistaken, DID declare war on the US before 9-11.

the Japanese most certainly didn't.

"You're the worst character ever Towelie."
Gunner80
ohh..My somber smile
Legend

A delivery boy from the past

« Reply #69 on: February 07, 2007, 04:50:40 PM »

Arguing on a music forum about anything accomplishes nothing! We all feel different about this sore subject, period.

The Rolling Stones, greatest Rock N' Roll band ever, period!
Mal Brossard
There should be a title here....
VIP

Iihan stuoramus alo vuoitte.

« Reply #70 on: February 07, 2007, 04:54:50 PM »

I wouldn't exactly say Pearl Harbor was unprovoked.  As written by historian Robert Stinnett...

The raid on Pearl Harbor took the U.S. Pacific Fleet by surprise, but back in Washington, the Roosevelt administration was fully aware of the coming onslaught.  Comprehensive research has not only shown Washington knew in advance of the attack, but deliberately withheld its foreknowledge from our commanders in Hawaii in the hope that the 'surprise attack would catapult the U.S. into World War II.'

Oliver Lyttleton, British Minister of Production, stated in 1944: 'Japan was provoked into attacking America at Pearl Harbor. It is a travesty of history to say that America was forced into the war.' Roosevelt's intentions were nearly exposed in 1940 when Tyler Kent, a code clerk at the U.S. embassy in London, discovered secret dispatches between Roosevelt and Churchill. These revealed that FDR - despite contrary campaign promises - was determined to engage America in the war. Kent smuggled some of the documents out of the embassy, hoping to alert the American public - but was caught. With U.S. government approval, he was tried in a secret British court and confined to a British prison until the war's end.

Roosevelt knew that if Japan went to war with the United States, Germany and Italy would be compelled to declare war on America - thus entangling us in the European conflict by the back door. As Harold Ickes, secretary of the Interior, said in October 1941: 'For a long time I have believed that our best entrance into the war would be by way of Japan.'

Roosevelt's plan to provoke Japan began with a memorandum from Lieutenant Commander Arthur H. McCollum, head of the Far East desk of the Office of Naval Intelligence. The memorandum advocated eight actions predicted to lead Japan into attacking the United States. McCollum wrote: 'If by these means Japan could be led to commit an overt act of war, so much the better.' FDR enacted all eight of McCollum's provocative steps and more. After meeting with President Roosevelt on October 16, 1941, Secretary of War Henry Stimson wrote in his diary: 'We face the delicate question of the diplomatic fencing to be done so as to be sure Japan is put into the wrong and makes the first bad move - overt move.' On November 25th, the day before the ultimatum was sent to Japan's ambassadors, Stimson wrote in his diary: 'The question was how we should maneuver them [the Japanese] into the position of firing the first shot.'

The bait offered to Japan was our Pacific Fleet. In 1940, Admiral J.O. Richardson, the fleet's commander, flew to Washington to protest FDR's decision to permanently base the fleet in Hawaii instead of its normal berthing on the U.S. West Coast. The admiral had sound reasons: Pearl Harbor was vulnerable to attack.  Richardson was quickly relieved of command. Replacing him was Admiral Husband E. Kimmel.

As Washington watched Japan preparing to assault Pearl Harbor, Admiral Kimmel, as well as his Army counterpart in Hawaii, General Walter C. Short, were completely sealed off from the information pipeline.  One of the most important elements in America's foreknowledge of Japan's intentions was our government's success in cracking Japan's secret diplomatic code known as 'Purple.' Tokyo used it to communicate to its embassies and consulates, including those in Washington and Hawaii. The code was so complex that it was enciphered and deciphered by machine. A talented group of American cryptoanalysts broke the code in 1940 and devised a facsimile of the Japanese machine. These, utilized by the intelligence sections of both the War and Navy departments, swiftly revealed Japan's diplomatic messages. The deciphered texts were nicknamed 'Magic.' Copies of Magic were always promptly delivered in locked pouches to President Roosevelt, and the secretaries of State, War, and Navy. They also went to Army Chief of Staff General George Marshall and to the Chief of Naval Operations, Admiral Harold Stark. However, although three Purple decoding machines were allotted to Britain, none were sent to Pearl Harbor. Intercepts of ciphered messages radioed between Tokyo and its Honolulu consulate had to be forwarded to Washington for decrypting. Thus Kimmel and Short, the Hawaiian commanders, were at the mercy of Washington for feedback. A request for their own decoding machine was rebuffed on the grounds that diplomatic traffic was of insufficient interest to soldiers.

How untrue that was! On October 9, 1941, the War Department decoded a Tokyo-to-Honolulu dispatch instructing the Consul General to divide Pearl Harbor into five specified areas and to report the exact locations of American ships therein. There is nothing unusual about spies watching ship movements, but reporting precise whereabouts of ships in dock has only one implication. Charles Willoughby, Douglas MacArthur's chief of intelligence later wrote that the 'reports were on a grid system of the inner harbor with coordinate locations of American men of war - coordinate grid is the classical method for pinpoint target designation; our battleships had suddenly become targets.' This information was never sent to Kimmel or Short.

After the attack, on the Sunday evening of December 7, 1941, Roosevelt had a brief meeting in the White House with Edward R. Murrow, the famed journalist, and William Donovan, the founder of the Office of  Strategic Services.  Later Donovan told an assistant the he believed FDR welcomed the attack and didn't seem surprised. The only thing Roosevelt seemed to care about, Donovan felt, was if the public would now support a declaration of war.

I’ll be the last to say "Don’t follow your heart," but there’s more to what it takes to be a man.
sjgotnitro
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #71 on: February 07, 2007, 05:15:51 PM »

All this discussion for what, just to get everybody stirred up.

Bombs away

I'm going back to the has anything happend yet threads or where is AXl? rofl

Help Needed

Looking For Video
"Hershey PA. June 1991"
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #72 on: February 07, 2007, 07:42:08 PM »

Watever, you are not telling the whole story.  The Japanese offered to surrender before the bombs...but it was not unconditional surrender.  What was required was an unconditional surrender, and the A-bombs brought just that. 

I am constantly amazed at revisionist historians who want to make us feel guilty for Hiroshima and Nagasaki.  They were absolutely necessary.  They saved Japanese and Allied forces' lives...the majority of Allied forces being Americans.  War sucks.  War is ugly.  But, you should thank your lucky stars we came out on top in WW2. 

Mutually Assured Destruction has kept us pretty damn safe for 60+ years.  Here's to 60+ more!   beer  beer  beer

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
Prometheus
VIP

I've been working all week on one of them.....

« Reply #73 on: February 07, 2007, 08:08:02 PM »

alas the posts im loking for are gone to the graveyard

it was funny too cause me and izzy actualy agreeded on something in em

and u know what it was actually about boming japan too.......

ohhhhh well....... found some great night train bashing posts... lol

........oh wait..... nooooooo...... How come there aren't any fake business seminars in Newfoundland?!?? Sad? ............
GNRreunioneventually
Legend

Her-Bert baybay

« Reply #74 on: February 07, 2007, 11:30:54 PM »

to the people that think that what we did was wrong then. I hope you know that if those slant eyed mother fuckers (-.-) had the technology we did they would have done it to us. For God sake they took off our guys finger nails and they made our guys in there camps starve, thirst, and if you didn't march they'd kill you. If you looked at them wrong they kill you. If you did any thing remotely wrong they'd kill you.

I went to the Pearl Harbor memorial about 3 or 4 years ago and there were more japs there than americans and they were the rudist fucks you'd ever see. You'd start to look at something like in a display and they'd push you out of the way. Then if you tried to get your spot back they'd just stare at you with there beady little eyes. They were rude as hell

So do i think it was wrong to do that Hell No. If it was me there whole country would be gone course i wasn't born yet and FDR was in the hot seet so that was his choice and i stand by it 100% even though i wasn't born untill the 90s.

but through time we learn. Ya know they learned cause they haven't fucked with us in a long time hihi

GNRreunioneventually

Called it Cheesy
GNRreunioneventually
Legend

Her-Bert baybay

« Reply #75 on: February 07, 2007, 11:46:51 PM »

http://fogonazos.blogspot.com/2007/02/hiroshima-pictures-they-didnt-want-us_05.html

Please do NOT try to justify the bomb with your classical " it ended the war, it could have been worse " - there are too many recent exemples in international crisis involving the usa that just blow that escuse away.

PEACE

does anybody else see the irony of a 23 year old from FRANCE telling us about military strategy?

why because I am right?? France is the LAST...let me say that again the LAST country on EARTH that should be giving out military advice....your country is the most ungrateful country on this planet after all the United States has done for you....it makes me sick...but then again it totally reinforces every single bad thing I hear about Chirac and the rest of your country when I read the garbage you have been posting on this board.....you have absolutely ZERO knowledge about World War 2 and your first post is a perfect example of it....why dont you guys just stick to dropping your guns and waiting for America to solve all your problems....

Can you go now?

hmm I see you guys post just like you fight wars...tell me how did the Germans respond to "Ok you have invaded and conquered us, can you go now?"

you are questioning America's war record..and I am trying to FIND Frances....whats the problem? ?If America had the same attitude as France we would all have blue eyes and blonde hair and be speaking German...get back on the subject?? I am still tearing apart your FIRST post on here...i havent even gotten to the rest of them...its going to be a long day.....

JohnSDMF good........no GREAT postings on here i laughed my ass off lmao rofl reading your posts.

your right about the french being pussies see how that dude just kinda gave up rofl I think you won that war. But seriously those were the greatest posts i've read on here in a long time.

But remember that the french weren't always pussies they had Napoleon but he got greedy and hesitant at the battle of Waterloo. so in conclusion they had a great leader/ fighter once, but since then......nothing.

peace

GNRreunioneventually

Called it Cheesy
supaplex
VIP

just another lazy prick

« Reply #76 on: February 08, 2007, 02:29:59 AM »

why are you all bashing one another. the purpose of those photos is to make people realise how much evil a nuke can do.

it doesn't matter who did it, why they did it, in what circumstances. does it matter now? why do you keep saying the japs had it coming, the bombs stopped the war bla bla bla...

the fact is the us wiped out two cities from the face of the earth. now we know what damage one bomb can do and we should to everything in our power to stop those bombs from being dropped. instead everybody tries to find excuses for their own country. just deal with it. every fucking country made mistakes in its history. no country is flawless. learn from your mistakes and move on.

a lot of nations lost thousands of people in that war. that's why it's called a world war. learn from it. don't start throwing shit at each other again.
everybody talks about world peace yet they're still developing bigger and better weapons.

concentrate on the problems from the present and leave the past to the past. learn from it but let it be gone.
why are we trying to blame the americans now when a lot of them weren't even born in 45?

and to get a little technical. after the first world war germany wasn't allowed to have an army for 90 years (read that again and do the math). and after 20 years they started another world war (not blaming them, we all know how it started). nobody saying shit about that, huh? where were all your countries when they should said: "look at what you've agreed 20 years ago" and kicked their ass in 39? i guess everybody's a hero after the war.

Sin Cut
Lovegun
Legend

« Reply #77 on: February 08, 2007, 03:00:59 AM »

PEACE

why because I am right?  France is the LAST...let me say that again the LAST country on EARTH that should be giving out military advice....your country is the most ungrateful country on this planet after all the United States has done for you....it makes me sick...but then again it totally reinforces every single bad thing I hear about Chirac and the rest of your country when I read the garbage you have been posting on this board.....you have absolutely ZERO knowledge about World War 2 and your first post is a perfect example of it....why dont you guys just stick to dropping your guns and waiting for America to solve all your problems....

Can you go now?

you are questioning America's war record..and I am trying to FIND Frances....whats the problem?  If America had the same attitude as France we would all have blue eyes and blonde hair and be speaking German...get back on the subject?? I am still tearing apart your FIRST post on here...i havent even gotten to the rest of them...its going to be a long day.....

JohnSDMF good........no GREAT postings on here i laughed my ass off lmao rofl reading your posts.

your right about the french being pussies see how that dude just kinda gave up rofl I think you won that war. But seriously those were the greatest posts i've read on here in a long time.

But remember that the french weren't always pussies they had Napoleon but he got greedy and hesitant at the battle of Waterloo. so in conclusion they had a great leader/ fighter once, but since then......nothing.

peace

But he was banished in the end.

And he was short!

"The real reason a man hits on a girl - is to fight masturbation."
Mama Kin
VIP

It's Just a Ride

« Reply #78 on: February 08, 2007, 07:35:37 AM »

I wouldn't exactly say Pearl Harbor was unprovoked.? As written by historian Robert Stinnett...

The raid on Pearl Harbor took the U.S. Pacific Fleet by surprise, but back in Washington, the Roosevelt administration was fully aware of the coming onslaught.? Comprehensive research has not only shown Washington knew in advance of the attack, but deliberately withheld its foreknowledge from our commanders in Hawaii in the hope that the 'surprise attack would catapult the U.S. into World War II.'

Oliver Lyttleton, British Minister of Production, stated in 1944: 'Japan was provoked into attacking America at Pearl Harbor. It is a travesty of history to say that America was forced into the war.' Roosevelt's intentions were nearly exposed in 1940 when Tyler Kent, a code clerk at the U.S. embassy in London, discovered secret dispatches between Roosevelt and Churchill. These revealed that FDR - despite contrary campaign promises - was determined to engage America in the war. Kent smuggled some of the documents out of the embassy, hoping to alert the American public - but was caught. With U.S. government approval, he was tried in a secret British court and confined to a British prison until the war's end.

Roosevelt knew that if Japan went to war with the United States, Germany and Italy would be compelled to declare war on America - thus entangling us in the European conflict by the back door. As Harold Ickes, secretary of the Interior, said in October 1941: 'For a long time I have believed that our best entrance into the war would be by way of Japan.'

Roosevelt's plan to provoke Japan began with a memorandum from Lieutenant Commander Arthur H. McCollum, head of the Far East desk of the Office of Naval Intelligence. The memorandum advocated eight actions predicted to lead Japan into attacking the United States. McCollum wrote: 'If by these means Japan could be led to commit an overt act of war, so much the better.' FDR enacted all eight of McCollum's provocative steps and more. After meeting with President Roosevelt on October 16, 1941, Secretary of War Henry Stimson wrote in his diary: 'We face the delicate question of the diplomatic fencing to be done so as to be sure Japan is put into the wrong and makes the first bad move - overt move.' On November 25th, the day before the ultimatum was sent to Japan's ambassadors, Stimson wrote in his diary: 'The question was how we should maneuver them [the Japanese] into the position of firing the first shot.'

The bait offered to Japan was our Pacific Fleet. In 1940, Admiral J.O. Richardson, the fleet's commander, flew to Washington to protest FDR's decision to permanently base the fleet in Hawaii instead of its normal berthing on the U.S. West Coast. The admiral had sound reasons: Pearl Harbor was vulnerable to attack.? Richardson was quickly relieved of command. Replacing him was Admiral Husband E. Kimmel.

As Washington watched Japan preparing to assault Pearl Harbor, Admiral Kimmel, as well as his Army counterpart in Hawaii, General Walter C. Short, were completely sealed off from the information pipeline.? One of the most important elements in America's foreknowledge of Japan's intentions was our government's success in cracking Japan's secret diplomatic code known as 'Purple.' Tokyo used it to communicate to its embassies and consulates, including those in Washington and Hawaii. The code was so complex that it was enciphered and deciphered by machine. A talented group of American cryptoanalysts broke the code in 1940 and devised a facsimile of the Japanese machine. These, utilized by the intelligence sections of both the War and Navy departments, swiftly revealed Japan's diplomatic messages. The deciphered texts were nicknamed 'Magic.' Copies of Magic were always promptly delivered in locked pouches to President Roosevelt, and the secretaries of State, War, and Navy. They also went to Army Chief of Staff General George Marshall and to the Chief of Naval Operations, Admiral Harold Stark. However, although three Purple decoding machines were allotted to Britain, none were sent to Pearl Harbor. Intercepts of ciphered messages radioed between Tokyo and its Honolulu consulate had to be forwarded to Washington for decrypting. Thus Kimmel and Short, the Hawaiian commanders, were at the mercy of Washington for feedback. A request for their own decoding machine was rebuffed on the grounds that diplomatic traffic was of insufficient interest to soldiers.

How untrue that was! On October 9, 1941, the War Department decoded a Tokyo-to-Honolulu dispatch instructing the Consul General to divide Pearl Harbor into five specified areas and to report the exact locations of American ships therein. There is nothing unusual about spies watching ship movements, but reporting precise whereabouts of ships in dock has only one implication. Charles Willoughby, Douglas MacArthur's chief of intelligence later wrote that the 'reports were on a grid system of the inner harbor with coordinate locations of American men of war - coordinate grid is the classical method for pinpoint target designation; our battleships had suddenly become targets.' This information was never sent to Kimmel or Short.

After the attack, on the Sunday evening of December 7, 1941, Roosevelt had a brief meeting in the White House with Edward R. Murrow, the famed journalist, and William Donovan, the founder of the Office of? Strategic Services.? Later Donovan told an assistant the he believed FDR welcomed the attack and didn't seem surprised. The only thing Roosevelt seemed to care about, Donovan felt, was if the public would now support a declaration of war.

Thank you!!! I was gonna post the same thing, but yours is far more informative than anything I could have ever said.

Also, let's not pretend the US won WW2. Many other countries contributed just as much, if not more to WW2.

Learn to swim, I'll see you down in Arizona Bay
Axlfreek
Legend

« Reply #79 on: February 08, 2007, 10:01:46 AM »

why are you all bashing one another. the purpose of those photos is to make people realise how much evil a nuke can do.

it doesn't matter who did it, why they did it, in what circumstances. does it matter now? why do you keep saying the japs had it coming, the bombs stopped the war bla bla bla...

the fact is the us wiped out two cities from the face of the earth. now we know what damage one bomb can do and we should to everything in our power to stop those bombs from being dropped. instead everybody tries to find excuses for their own country. just deal with it. every fucking country made mistakes in its history. no country is flawless. learn from your mistakes and move on.

a lot of nations lost thousands of people in that war. that's why it's called a world war. learn from it. don't start throwing shit at each other again.
everybody talks about world peace yet they're still developing bigger and better weapons.

concentrate on the problems from the present and leave the past to the past. learn from it but let it be gone.
why are we trying to blame the americans now when a lot of them weren't even born in 45?

and to get a little technical. after the first world war germany wasn't allowed to have an army for 90 years (read that again and do the math). and after 20 years they started another world war (not blaming them, we all know how it started). nobody saying shit about that, huh? where were all your countries when they should said: "look at what you've agreed 20 years ago" and kicked their ass in 39? i guess everybody's a hero after the war.

Your living in a dream world. You can't just look at the droppings of these bombs like "meh, we dropped a couple nukes on those 2 cities, moving on", but thats what your doing. You have to understand why we did it. Of course it matters. Sure we cant dwell on everything that went on in the past but we do have to remember what happened on that day, learn from it, even dwell on it a little bit, and mourn the lives that were lost. Its a pretty big deal man, you should realize that and not just rub it off your shoulders like its no big deal.

"Live the full life of the mind, exhilarated by new ideas, intoxicated by the romance of the unusual."
Hemingway
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: