Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 01:33:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227805 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2007 Baseball Season is about to start--talk about anything you want
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 53 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2007 Baseball Season is about to start--talk about anything you want  (Read 188860 times)
Krispy Kreme
« on: February 13, 2007, 10:14:29 PM »

Spring training is almost here, so baseball will soon be upon us.

Who  will have a break out season? Who will win the divisions? Who is going to the World Series? Which teams will disappoint? When will Bonds break the home run record? Who will be the worst team in MLB this year? Best pitcher? Best rookie?

Let's tallk about anything and everything.
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2007, 11:39:01 PM »

Pitchers and catchers report on Thursday.... drool

The AL has weakened considerably, a National League team will win the World Series again this year.
GunnerOne 84
VIP

Welcome Back To The Jungle

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2007, 01:58:42 PM »

I predict my Baltimore Orioles will yet again completely and totally suck ass on a level never before thought possible.

Nothing Lasts Forever, And We Both Know Hearts Can Change
Sober_times
VIP

The Proud Winner of a Wooden Spoon.

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2007, 03:51:56 PM »

The Cubbies made some good moves in the off-season, I'm anxious to see how they do this year. smoking

CM Punk is the Best in the World!

I dig crazy chicks like AJ!

HBK is the greatest wrestler of all time!

I miss Edge!

Thats it, thats all I have to say.

P.S. Cena Sucks!
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2007, 06:19:12 PM »

Kerry Wood hurt himself in a hot tub.  hihi
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2007, 08:55:53 PM »

Kerry Wood hurt himself in a hot tub.  hihi

I can one up you there. Carl Pavano of my yanks will fall on his ass again. Only this time breaking his tailbone and ending his miserable career.
cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2007, 09:52:21 PM »

Carl will help out this season I think. He knows that if he's shit during Spring Training, the Yanks will call up Phillip Hughes. I've seen Hughes a couple times, he's the real freaking deal.

A-Rod will not have another "shitty" season of .300, 30 HR, 120 RBI, how can people call that shitty, as he will breakout, hit over .330, and lead the Yanks into the playoffs. He'll start the season 6-9 in the lineup, somewhere down there. By the ASB, he'll be back up to cleanup.

Predictions:
Moose 12-8, 4.00 to 4.45 ERA
Pettite 16-7, 3.50 to 4.25 ERA
Wang 19-4, 2.75 to 3.45 ERA
Pavano 11-8, 4.00 to 4.50 ERA
Igawa 10-4, 5 ERA (will start out in rotation, end up in bullpen)
Hughes will get a callup sometime and contribute

Robbie Cano will battle for a batting title again, and Posada will have a career year, leading to a contract extension of 2 years.

As you can tell I'm a Yankee fan.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2007, 09:56:58 PM »

Carl will help out this season I think. He knows that if he's shit during Spring Training, the Yanks will call up Phillip Hughes. I've seen Hughes a couple times, he's the real freaking deal.

A-Rod will not have another "shitty" season of .300, 30 HR, 120 RBI, how can people call that shitty, as he will breakout, hit over .330, and lead the Yanks into the playoffs. He'll start the season 6-9 in the lineup, somewhere down there. By the ASB, he'll be back up to cleanup.

Predictions:

Robbie Cano will battle for a batting title again, and Posada will have a career year, leading to a contract extension of 2 years.

I like those predctions and i hope you are pretty accurate. I also think Huges will see the majors before the end of the season. That kid is going to be something special
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2007, 10:09:23 PM »

Predictions:

I think you're gonna be WAY off on the prediction for Pettitte.  He was awful last year in the first half of the season in the light hitting NL.  Move BACK to the loaded lineups of the AL.  3.50 is HIGHLY optimistic.  Not that 4.50 would be a bad thing, especially with that lineup behind him he'd still win 15 games.  That's more where I'd expect him to be at though.  He still is a big game pitcher though, just not as steady in the regular season.  Of course, I'm a Red Sox fan so obviously I'm a little biased too.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2007, 10:11:29 PM »

Kerry Wood hurt himself in a hot tub.? hihi
I thought that was a joke since he gets injured so often.  But sure enough it is indeed true.  That guy had so much talent, now he's lucky to pitch half a season.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2007, 10:55:24 PM »

Predictions:

I think you're gonna be WAY off on the prediction for Pettitte.  He was awful last year in the first half of the season in the light hitting NL.  Move BACK to the loaded lineups of the AL.  3.50 is HIGHLY optimistic.  Not that 4.50 would be a bad thing, especially with that lineup behind him he'd still win 15 games.  That's more where I'd expect him to be at though.  He still is a big game pitcher though, just not as steady in the regular season.  Of course, I'm a Red Sox fan so obviously I'm a little biased too.

Even before he went to houston he always had a pretty high ERA. But like you said with that lineup he should be able to win at least 15 games and he is a big game pitcher. He knows how to win when it counts. I still remember the 96 world series where he won that 1-0 game. That was one of the best games i've ever seen.
cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2007, 12:22:47 AM »

Predictions:

Even before he went to houston he always had a pretty high ERA. But like you said with that lineup he should be able to win at least 15 games and he is a big game pitcher. He knows how to win when it counts. I still remember the 96 world series where he won that 1-0 game. That was one of the best games i've ever seen.

That's what I was going on. Before he left, he had a bloated ERA and still manged to win. I think he's back "where he belongs" so to speak, and will come through. Maybe his ERA won't be in the 3's, but definitely low to mid 4's.

I think he's going to be a truely instrumental part in possibly leading the Yankees to another World Championship. Maybe not this year, maybe next. I'm not claiming anything like that, way way wayyy to early to.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2007, 12:57:49 AM »

Predictions:

That's what I was going on. Before he left, he had a bloated ERA and still manged to win. I think he's back "where he belongs" so to speak, and will come through. Maybe his ERA won't be in the 3's, but definitely low to mid 4's.

I think he's going to be a truely instrumental part in possibly leading the Yankees to another World Championship. Maybe not this year, maybe next. I'm not claiming anything like that, way way wayyy to early to.
Yes definitely back where he belongs. He should have never left. He should've been a lifetime yankee just like williams jeter and rivera have been. Being a yankee fan i hope you are right about that. I think he will be good for us being back where he is comfortable. I also think having him back will help the young pitchers we have waiting in the wings to come up. Huges, Sanchez, Clippard etc. I think he will be a good mentor to them and maybe instill his worth ethic in them. Only clemens trains harder then pettitte.
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2007, 02:00:11 AM »

I hope Zito's new delivery ends up costing him.
cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2007, 10:20:42 AM »

Predictions:

Yes definitely back where he belongs. He should have never left. He should've been a lifetime yankee just like williams jeter and rivera have been. Being a yankee fan i hope you are right about that. I think he will be good for us being back where he is comfortable. I also think having him back will help the young pitchers we have waiting in the wings to come up. Huges, Sanchez, Clippard etc. I think he will be a good mentor to them and maybe instill his worth ethic in them. Only clemens trains harder then pettitte.

All those young guys, Hughes, Sanchez, Clippard, Betances, and Kennedy (to name a few) are all quality arms that we've got in the system. I've seen a couple of them throw (haven't seen Sanchez) and looks to me like we've got a bright pitching future ahead of us for the Yankees.

Not to mention that Jose Tabata, who will be starting somewhere in the OF soon with Melky, is progressing very nicely throughout the minors. He's said to be a hitter for average with speed. Haven't seen him, although I'd love to.

Pettite will be a great 'Yankee' mentor to these kids when they come up. They can learn the ropes with him, and Pettite can help them out. What I'm really looking forward to, if it happens, Clemens signing in Mid-Season. Because by that time, I think Hughes will be up in the rotation (Igawa moving to pen/Pavano breaking an assbone again) and providing. Roger will, if he comes, be a tremendous mentor for him, giving him some tips and such, making him into an even better pitcher than he already is.

About Rivera, don't expect any deals before the season is over. The Yanks will see how the year goes, how his arm holds up. If it blows, then Mo, unfortunately, no matter how much he has done for us, will probably be gone, or be offered a smaller contract than what he is seeking. Don't get me wrong, I love Mo, but I think all the innings are finally catching up with him. If he doesn't resign, expect the Yankees to push for Frankie Rodriguez, if he's a FA (depending on if the Angels lock him up).

If Mo doesn't come back, and we don't sign Frankie, I expect Proctor, Betances, Chamberlain, and Sanchez to battle it out for the spot. We don't need to go out and sign someone big like Frankie Rodriguez, as I think we might have the next Mo or Frankie or great closer, in our system. In all reality, I think Georgie boy will want Frankie Rodriguez and get him, he saw what he did to us in the 02 ALDS, and he envy's him.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2007, 02:05:21 PM »

Pettite had a bad year, true.  Of course he was playing hurt, in front of a TERRIBLE defense, with a lineup that provided AWFUL run support (ask Roger!).

I agree..his ERA is more likely to be in the low 4's than the mid 3's....and Andy is not a #1 (and maybe not even a #2..certainly not in this rotation) guy anymore.  But he's a big game pitcher who can teach someone like Wang (and Phillips, if he comes up) a LOT.

My biggest worry with the Yanks is, really, they don't have a solid #1 now.  I was all for the Randy move, but.....I'm not sure Wang is ready for the ace spot in the rotation, and Moose has started down the other side of that hill (he's a solid #2, though).  It'll be interesting to see how the Yanks handle that, and if Wang can grow into the #1 spot.  He's got ice running in his veins, it seems, and that may help.

On Mo...I think the yanks are smart to see how the season plays out.  That little scare at the end of last season has to have them thinking.  Mo needs to go out and have a typical Mo year, with no injuries.  Anything less and the Yanks are going to start questioning how much longer he'll hold up.  And Torre better stick with his promise to only use Mo this year  in the 9th OR the Yanks better pony up the dough for a contract extension.  Because Torre's (over)use directly effects Mo's longevity and "value".

On replacing Mo...I just don't see how they could.  I mean, I guess they COULD, but I just don't know that we could hope for the same results.  He is, simply, the best closer in baseball.  How do you "replace" that?   And on using Proctor as that replacement?  Nope, not until he can put those back problems behind him and become 100% reliable when he gets up and starts warming up.  Otherwise...you just can't designate him as your closer.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2007, 07:57:58 PM »

Predictions:

All those young guys, Hughes, Sanchez, Clippard, Betances, and Kennedy (to name a few) are all quality arms that we've got in the system. I've seen a couple of them throw (haven't seen Sanchez) and looks to me like we've got a bright pitching future ahead of us for the Yankees.

Not to mention that Jose Tabata, who will be starting somewhere in the OF soon with Melky, is progressing very nicely throughout the minors. He's said to be a hitter for average with speed. Haven't seen him, although I'd love to.

Pettite will be a great 'Yankee' mentor to these kids when they come up. They can learn the ropes with him, and Pettite can help them out. What I'm really looking forward to, if it happens, Clemens signing in Mid-Season. Because by that time, I think Hughes will be up in the rotation (Igawa moving to pen/Pavano breaking an assbone again) and providing. Roger will, if he comes, be a tremendous mentor for him, giving him some tips and such, making him into an even better pitcher than he already is.

About Rivera, don't expect any deals before the season is over. The Yanks will see how the year goes, how his arm holds up. If it blows, then Mo, unfortunately, no matter how much he has done for us, will probably be gone, or be offered a smaller contract than what he is seeking. Don't get me wrong, I love Mo, but I think all the innings are finally catching up with him. If he doesn't resign, expect the Yankees to push for Frankie Rodriguez, if he's a FA (depending on if the Angels lock him up).

If Mo doesn't come back, and we don't sign Frankie, I expect Proctor, Betances, Chamberlain, and Sanchez to battle it out for the spot. We don't need to go out and sign someone big like Frankie Rodriguez, as I think we might have the next Mo or Frankie or great closer, in our system. In all reality, I think Georgie boy will want Frankie Rodriguez and get him, he saw what he did to us in the 02 ALDS, and he envy's him.
From what i've heard of Sanchez is he is a big guy and a hard thrower. I would like to see him slim down a bit. I think the extra weight could hurt him over time.

Yeah i think Rivera and Cashman have both said they will wait until the season is over to talk. I can't realistically not see him back. He doesn't want to leave. I don't think the yankees do either unless he really gets hurt this year. If torre sticks to the one inning thing he should be ok. All the two inning games last year caught up with him a bit with the muscle strain. We can't let that happen again. He's 38 now and can't continue to pitch like that. So torre needs to stop that and stick to what he says cause i want to see this guy retire a yankee in 09 after one year at the new stadium.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2007, 08:07:17 PM »

Pettite had a bad year, true.  Of course he was playing hurt, in front of a TERRIBLE defense, with a lineup that provided AWFUL run support (ask Roger!).

I agree..his ERA is more likely to be in the low 4's than the mid 3's....and Andy is not a #1 (and maybe not even a #2..certainly not in this rotation) guy anymore.  But he's a big game pitcher who can teach someone like Wang (and Phillips, if he comes up) a LOT.

My biggest worry with the Yanks is, really, they don't have a solid #1 now.  I was all for the Randy move, but.....I'm not sure Wang is ready for the ace spot in the rotation, and Moose has started down the other side of that hill (he's a solid #2, though).  It'll be interesting to see how the Yanks handle that, and if Wang can grow into the #1 spot.  He's got ice running in his veins, it seems, and that may help.

On Mo...I think the yanks are smart to see how the season plays out.  That little scare at the end of last season has to have them thinking.  Mo needs to go out and have a typical Mo year, with no injuries.  Anything less and the Yanks are going to start questioning how much longer he'll hold up.  And Torre better stick with his promise to only use Mo this year  in the 9th OR the Yanks better pony up the dough for a contract extension.  Because Torre's (over)use directly effects Mo's longevity and "value".

On replacing Mo...I just don't see how they could.  I mean, I guess they COULD, but I just don't know that we could hope for the same results.  He is, simply, the best closer in baseball.  How do you "replace" that?   And on using Proctor as that replacement?  Nope, not until he can put those back problems behind him and become 100% reliable when he gets up and starts warming up.  Otherwise...you just can't designate him as your closer.
He didn't totally have a bad year. He had a bad first half. His numbers in the second half were great. I doubt he can have a whole season like that in the american league but with this offense he's not gonna have to.

I think wang showed us a lot last year and if he continues the way he is can definitely be our ace. He has the ability and the demeanor. Like you said he has ice in his veins nothing bothers him. If there wasn't a man named santana in the league he would reigning cy young in only his second year.

I think ultimately Mo will stay a yankee. Its all he wants to be even with his recent comments. We all know he was really just trying to get cashmans attention. He wants to be nowhere else but new york. He's even moved there permanently.

Replacing him when his time is finally up is going to be very hard. I mean how do you replace the best closer to ever put on a baseball uniform? I feel bad for whoever it will be. The pressure on that person is going to be absolutely tremendous. Mo is simply the greatest ever and will walk into cooperstown his first year on the ballot
The Dog
Legend

« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2007, 08:40:36 PM »

Here is to praying and hoping me beloved Buccos finish above .500  ok

Be even better if they can make a playoff run, but first things first...baby steps Wink

"You're the worst character ever Towelie."
smishkey
Rocker

Let's go Mets!

« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2007, 08:46:37 PM »

Pitchers and catchers are in camp, and best of all, I met Willie Randolph on Thursday!!!!  He was having lunch at the country club where I work, and our GM knows I'm a huge Mets fan, so heintroduced me to him and he signed my green Mets hat!!!  Good sign for the season, I'd say.  He told me Delgado recovered well from off-season surgery, he's disappointed in Duaner Sanchez, says he didn't do the work he was supposed to do over the winter, also when I told him starting pitching made me nervous, he said he's not worried.  He thinks the team can go all the way(of course he's gonna say that, I know) and that nobody in the NL has really great pitching anymore, so he's not worried.

Let's go Mets!!

"They're lead singer-haters"  Scott, 4-23-08 on Howard
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 53 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: