Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 03:33:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227820 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Wake up, it's time to play!
| |-+  Nice Boys Don't Play Rock And Roll
| | |-+  help me with the solos !!!!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: help me with the solos !!!!  (Read 2387 times)
big_machine
Rocker

DON`T SAY BAD WORDS

« on: March 01, 2007, 10:58:15 PM »

i?m about to record with my band....so i want you to helpe me people
i?m the lead guitar !!! so
when i record the solos what do i need ?

i mean : reverb,delay,compresion,noise gate,...idk.......you tell me

i need to record with noise gate ?

i?ve heard that the solo need a lot of things (rever,comp,delay,chorus)

but the main riff...what do i need ??

can someone explain me...like i was a 6 year old child !!!!
Dayle1066
Rocker

« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2007, 01:16:39 PM »

You dont need anything. Its whatever sound you prefer, if your not sure what your doing then your engineer should know but its down to what you prefer the sound of. Im not gonna go into what each thing does but it shouldnt be too hard to find with a google search.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2007, 05:20:35 PM »

Close your eyes, feel the music and Let it rip.? I try to make a solo a song within a song. It has to have a sense of direction.

I hate solos that are nothing but a bunch of jibberish sounding nothing.

Phrasing is important, having a solo CLIMAX is also very important.

As far as sound, just fuck with your effects board till u get a killer tone u like and stick with it.

Experiment with different effects. Im not a huge fan of a lot of delay but if u like it go for it.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
big_machine
Rocker

DON`T SAY BAD WORDS

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2007, 01:36:59 PM »

thx..........   D

I?ll everything you said it?s true !!!!

Close your eyes, feel the music and Let it rip.  I try to make a solo a song within a song. It has to have a sense of direction.

I hate solos that are nothing but a bunch of jibberish sounding nothing.

Phrasing is important, having a solo CLIMAX is also very important.

As far as sound, just fuck with your effects board till u get a killer tone u like and stick with it.

Experiment with different effects. Im not a huge fan of a lot of delay but if u like it go for it.

deadtotheworld
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2007, 06:25:54 AM »

Where are you recording? In a bedroom? In a rehearsal room? a Studio? Are you using protools or cubase etc?

Anyway - given that I dont know any details, here goes....  Usually I would try and have as least effects on the guitars as possible. Dont use noise gates for solos, as it can end sustain prematurely. If you have any controlled feedback in mind for parts of the solo - record standing up so you can step closer to your amp and find that 'sweet spot'.  When you record your solos - reduce the gain increase the volume and increase the mids and your solo will cut through the mix, instead of being a distorted trebly mess.  If you are using a computer or portable digital studio etc - you can always add any effects such as reverb or delay later on in the mix.   If you are micing up your amp, try a few different mic positionings, a slightest movement of mic can make alot of difference. If you are recording at home - some people like to record solos in the bathroom! Quite often people have tiled walls and tiled floors, so the echo and natural reverb bouncing around can be really sweet!

Before you go in to record, always have a plan of what you are going to play... its boring for other members of a band to sit there and listen to you attempt to play a solo for the 50th time, and after a while either your bandmates will rush you and you end up with a solo on there that you are not happy with and will haunt you every time you hear it OR if you are in a studio - you are just wasting precious and expensive studio time.

Good luck - hope this helps!
big_machine
Rocker

DON`T SAY BAD WORDS

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2007, 12:53:33 PM »

hey !!! thx..dude...of course it`ll help !!!
big_machine
Rocker

DON`T SAY BAD WORDS

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2007, 01:00:17 PM »

you said :

"When you record your solos - reduce the gain increase the volume and increase the mids and your solo will cut through the mix, instead of being a distorted trebly mess. "

what about the sustain that the gain give to the solo...and the cruchy sound you need to have when you record a solo like.....mmm....november rain or final cut (pink floyd`s)

i think if i decrease the gain , the solo will lost body !!! (soundwise)

can you explain it to me !!!!

i`ll record in a studio...not at home !!!!
and i`m using a jcm slash (2555)

i also increase the gain adding to my pedals a MXR micro amp.
it gives me a cruchy sound that i like.....

can you give more tips.....i aprecciate that from you thx again !!!!

ok

Aero
Not Axl
VIP

Not Axl

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2007, 10:46:24 PM »

If you're recording on a studio, nevermind about the frequencies eq etc... the studio operator will handle with that.

You just have to worry about how the solo goes... the melody and phrasing.

If you have a cool idea but you don't know how to explain that to the studio operator, just try to explain what kind of sound do you want to get, show him some song, some band... something close to the sounding you have in mind, and then you just have to play a little with the knobs until you get your sound, wich has started from some specific basis.

Compression, eq,  etc... that's studio business... they can process that after you have recorded everything, and you can modify what the fuck you want because you're paying.

peace

deadtotheworld
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2007, 12:48:15 PM »

big_machine... thanx for the pm.

And in answer to your question.. If you are playing in a studio, that is even better a place to turn the gain down a notch and up the volume for your solo.... because the amp will naturally distort and it will just have a more natural sound, rather than swamping it in a processed distortion. If it is too loud for you, you will most likely have your amp really loud in the live room, but you will be playing the guitar in the mixing desk/monitor room.  The downside is that you are not next to your amp, BUT the advantage is that you can record at a lower level and hear the backing track alot more clearly - Have you ever been onstage and thought you played the perfect solo, but then heard it on a recording or on a video and its not been as great as you thought??? Well playing at a lower volume eliminates that cos you can hear it better at a lower volume and hear the timing better.

If you are lucky and get a good studio guy - the results can be fantastic. Sometimes a cheap studio and studio guy may not pay off, unless you are prepared to put in a lot more work and learn some stuff yourself. Sometimes its handy to take in a few cd's with songs of a similar vibe and feel to show to the studio guy.  We took in a Fear factory cd coz we liked the guitar tone. (none of my band listened or liked Fear Factory, but it was a similar tone we wanted to acheive)

If you are recording with an amp as good as the one you are using, you probably wont need any pedals in front or any effects in the effects loop. If you are not using your wah in this particular solo, take it out of your loop and your line will be even clearer. Dont forget to double check your tuning AFTER EVERY TAKE! Because you want it to be perfect - as a lot of string bending may send this slightly out if you are putting every effort into string bends. Now just relax and go for it!!!! Obviously try to nail your solo in a few takes, but if you are not 110% happy with it - it will bug you forever. If after a few takes and no luck, go and have a break because patience and inspiration runs thin and it becomes tedious.

If there is anything else you wanna know, I will try my best to help. I think i may have covered everything though!   Smiley
deadtotheworld
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2007, 12:51:57 PM »

Oh and one more thing - about eq and stuff... If you can get the frequencies and eqaulisation as right as possible before you record, there is a lot less messing round later on, and it is better to use the time more wisely, than boring mixing sessions!!! It is not the best advice to just record any old sound and then have the studio guy have to eq it for ages afterwards, just get it right beforehand.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: