Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 03:47:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227830 Posts in 43250 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  Oo's yewer favourite football player then?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Oo's yewer favourite football player then?  (Read 23798 times)
Gandalf
aka Cindy
Opening Act

« on: November 09, 2002, 05:08:16 PM »

At the risk of incurring the wrath of the proper moderators(ie. those that turn up more than once a week), I think this topic is deserving of a fred of its own. So, here are mine(NB foreigners don't have to split into Welsh and non-Welsh.They can just put down whoever):

Welsh:

1) John Charles-alright he was way, way before my time, but he's recognised by everyone as the greatest Welsh footballer ever, which is good enough for me.

2) Mark Hughes- as well as managing the best team I can remember, he is also my favourite modern player.Why? Because he scored some superb goals (v. Spain 1985, and several others for Man U) and because he was a genuine hard guy.Like Keane, but far, far more of a gentleman and without the self-indulgent whinging.

3) Chris Coleman- Who he I hear you say? Finest Welsh defender of his generation. Scored a couple of goals too. Wrecked his career as well in a car crash, poor bastard. My best Chris Coleman moment: him coming on as an injury time substitute after we beat Germany this year. Standing ovation; couple of months later we found he'd never play again.

Not Welsh(and in no real order)

1) Marco van Basten

Better than Mark Hughes. I can still remember that volley he scored in the European Championships from an impossible angle. Superb player, crying shame that injuries cut him down

2) Zinedane Zidane

God amongst Frenchmen:this man can do no wrong. Outclassed the rest of his teamates in the World Cup this year despite only being 50% fit.

3) Roger Milla

First African footballer anyone of my generation can name, inspired Cameroon to beat Argentina and come damn close to getting to the semi-finals of Italia 90.At the age of 38. Best African footballer, bar none

Russian linesman bloke from the 1966 World Cup Final, your boys took a hell of a beating!
Danny Top Hat
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2002, 05:51:35 PM »

Meh, i'll let this thread live, because you're Welsh.

Most of my favourite players are retired.  And they're all Arsenally.

Tony Adams - Complete legend!  The guy bled Arsenal, and overcame one heck of a lot in his career.  Led us brilliantly to win the double in 98, we wouldn't have had a chance without him.  Done fifty times more for England than Rio Ferdinand ever will.

Paul Merson - Similar to Tony.  Bled Arsenal, overcame loads of shit, played with one hell of a lot of spirit.  Dead handsome too.

Dennis Bergkamp - Not really a legend, but a wonderful player.  I get so happy whenever he scores!

Alan *Smuger* Smith - Something about the way he was that I really dig.  Dunno why.
Gnrfan
Ben Brightside
Legend

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2002, 03:01:59 PM »

Heres mine:

Old:

Eric Cantona- Legend thru and thru don't care what people say....... one of the best players ever to grace the english leagues.

George Best- Anyone who is still alive after drinking 4 bottles of vodka a day for 2 years is a legend.... oh yeah he could play a pit too.

Gary Lineker- Great Player underrated IMO

Gazza- Only shame in his career is that he never put on a Manchester United Player.... who will ever forget those tears in italy and the goal against Scotland.

Maradona - Cheating bar steward but on pure footballing talent the best ever IMO.

Current:

Giggs- Legend. When he is fit there is no better winger in the world.

Pires- He plays for the enemy but you simply have to admire him.... great skills and a great attitude. He seems to have something that Vieria misses and that is class i.e. he gets on wit it and never moans.

Beckham- Well quite simply where would England be without him.

Ronaldo- Best player in the world when on form he showed it in the World Cup

Maldini- 150+ caps for his country, loyal as they come.

Joe Cole- Saw him play when he was 15.... his best is yet to come

I'm Gonna Buy A Gun And Start A War
If You Can Tell Me Something Worth Fighting For
[/color]

Get on your Dancing Shoes
Laura
I'm not cute!!!
VIP

Swallow Choke And Die

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2002, 03:03:30 PM »

Figo!!!!!!

And It Breaks My Heart To Know The Only Reason You Are Here Now Is A Reminder Of What I'll Never Have...
R4tfink
Naked Waldorf in front of the computer
Legend

Fuckoffsville.

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2002, 03:17:18 PM »

Past:

Cantona - extravagant skillfull and rulebreaking - a complete rebel and a complete genius.

Pele - Errr. He was class.

Present :

Zinedine Zidane - Vision skill, awareness, workrate. He has it all.

Patrick Viera - See above.

Jermaine Jenas - Best Teenager in English football. Has all of the above and he is only 19, played in Europe against Juventus and held his own....This Kid is gonna be a phenomenon.

Period - Stuart Pearce. Pyscho, u all know him u all get goosebumps when he scored the penalty against Spain.
A true proffesional.

Axlhogg
GNRR2003
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2002, 06:07:51 PM »

Jermaine Jenas - Best Teenager in English football. Has all of the above and he is only 19, played in Europe against Juventus and held his own....This Kid is gonna be a phenomenon.

he plays for my team he does, and he is fuckin brilliant, a midfeild general to rival anyoneme thinks, at least in the future.

also Hugo Viana will be in the same class as Mr JJ.

current:  Ronaldo - will beat anyone on his day, when its not his day he can beat almost anyone.

Alan Shearer, 1 more goal for us and he will have scored 100 league goals for two clubs, nuff said, and he is top premier league scorer by a mile.

past: pele and maradona

paul gascoigne imo, was the greatest footballer that never was, he never really acheiced much and always seemed to be in the press for the wrong reasons, and also had some bad injuries, i guess too much drinking cant exactly be good for you either.
WSOUman
Opening Act

Daly

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2002, 04:07:19 AM »

[size=15]LAWRENCE TAYLOR[/size], jk jk, that's the real football...anyway...

[size=15]CLINT MATHIS[/size]
R4tfink
Legend

Fuckoffsville.

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2002, 05:21:11 AM »

Well we have an NFL thread, but this is very deceiving for the American Reader because American Football is also referred to as football.

Maybe we should change the name of the thread to who's your favourite soccer player?

Axlhogg
GNRR2003
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2002, 09:37:12 AM »

Well we have an NFL thread, but this is very deceiving for the American Reader because American Football is also referred to as football.

Maybe we should change the name of the thread to who's your favourite soccer player?

Axlhogg

sorry but this is THE FOOTBALL thread, i know you're english so you can understand that football is not soccer, its football.

this thread should not be renamed the soccer thread, the americans will have to learn that us europeans follow proper football, not the game of football they play where they use their hands, now, how can you call a game football when you use your hands  Roll Eyes
Lose Your Illusions
Rocker

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2002, 11:44:42 AM »

ronaldo, beckham and owen
R4tfink
Legend

Fuckoffsville.

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2002, 12:03:31 PM »

sorry but this is THE FOOTBALL thread, i know you're english so you can understand that football is not soccer, its football.

this thread should not be renamed the soccer thread, the americans will have to learn that us europeans follow proper football, not the game of football they play where they use their hands, now, how can you call a game football when you use your hands  Roll Eyes

True but at the end of the day, its what they call it as well, we cant stop the whole of the American population saying football because we say it as well.

Likewise The American contingent cant stop us saying football either, i was just trying to please both parties....

Well lets keep it as it is.

Just a suggestion

Axlhogg
Gnrfan
Ben Brightside
Legend

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2002, 12:35:12 PM »

Look. Football is football.

Americian football is not football. They are a bunch of pad wearing pussies who have WWF to fall back on if they fail. Wink

Come and play rugby you pussies.

*just like to say i know they are not pussies but i'd love to see them play rugby*

anyway this should stay the Footie thread IMO

I'm Gonna Buy A Gun And Start A War
If You Can Tell Me Something Worth Fighting For
[/color]

Get on your Dancing Shoes
Scat
Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go
Headliner

I like my sugar with coffee and cream

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2002, 12:49:29 PM »

Football is football in every country apart from one that chooses to call it 'soccer'. Because they fancied calling their version of rugby that, instead of a more relevant term.

Fave footballers: too many, there are soo many legends

In no order

Javier Saviola   -   my favourite footballer at the moment, so young yet so talented.  Him and Barca are going to be big.

Alan Shearer -   He epitimises everything about an English footballer. He has justified the ?15m paid for him as he has consistently found the net whenever he's fit.  Apart from that he is a model professional. How many times have you heard of him going on drink or drug binges?

Those two stick out for me, others that come to mind are:
Peter Shilton
Ronaldo
Lilian Thuram
Gary Lineker
George Weah
John Barnes.

I must say when Anelka was a Goooner he was my flavour of the month - then he threw it away
Danny Top Hat
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2002, 05:23:51 PM »

Anelka had potential.  Sadly, he was an arrogant prat, and ruined it all.  I'd rather have Henry and Wiltord anyday.

Hadn't thought of Shearer.  I admire him more than any non-Arsenal player in the league.
Chris Misfit
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2002, 06:06:50 PM »

Bebeto:- Fucking genious this guy was, remember the partnership him and Romario had in the 94 world cup?

Mustafa Hadji:- Plays for Villa now, I reckon he's the most under-rated player in the world.

Brian McClair:- First season with United scored around 30 goals, not bad for a Scotsman. Also, great thinker.

Stuart Pearce:- Best defender ever!

WSOUman
Opening Act

Daly

« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2002, 02:28:59 AM »

see, now all of a sudden it became a bash america thread here.  don't be jealous.  give me landon donovan and clint mathis or give me death.
R4tfink
Legend

Fuckoffsville.

« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2002, 04:40:35 AM »

Stuart Pearce:- Best defender ever!

Wahey- a fellow phsycho lover!! [ok] [yes] [beer]

Axlhogg
Steve_Irwin
Opening Act

I'm a llama!

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2002, 03:52:31 PM »

Paolo Di Canio [ok]
Jake Rock
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2002, 01:17:23 PM »

I don't know why everyone is making such a big deal about the riots in Vancouver. Soccer fans have been doing it for years.
Skeba
Laugh Whore
Legend

Comedy is tragedy plus time

« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2002, 02:23:24 PM »

Think it's equally dumb to riot about a football game as it is over a concert.

But on subject:

I like a lot of players but 2 I like over the others:

Edgar Davids

Roberto Carlos

These 2 have the ability to run through out the game up and down, helping defence and offence... I just love watching these two. Okay.. With Davids it turned that it was bit more that just workout that made him run that fast, but still. And Carlos tends to shoot 20 meters wide, but when he's on target... Man..
« Last Edit: November 15, 2002, 05:58:17 AM by Skeba » Logged

I've created an atmosphere where I?m a friend first, moderator second. Probably entertainer third.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: