Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 11, 2024, 01:31:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228028 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Oasis, The Killers to record new version of 'Sgt Pepper'
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Oasis, The Killers to record new version of 'Sgt Pepper'  (Read 3487 times)
Bill 213
Legend

The buck stops here!

« on: April 06, 2007, 03:34:02 PM »

04/06/2007 1:00 PM, Yahoo! Music
courtesy of NME.com

Oasis, the Killers, and Kaiser Chiefs are to cover songs from the Beatles' Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band to mark the 40th anniversary of the classic album's release.

The original album was released on June 1, 1967, and to mark the event the big names will all be covering tracks from the record for a BBC2 special to be aired in the U.K. on June 2.

Razorlight, James Morrison, the Fratellis, and Travis are among the other acts taking part.

The BBC reports that Geoff Emerick, the engineer in charge of the original sessions, will use the same equipment to record the new versions.

Radio 2 controller Lesley Douglas said: "This will be not only a unique radio event, but a very special musical moment. The range and quality of artists involved ensure that this will be a fitting tribute to one of the great albums of all time."

There is no news yet on which track the artists concerned will cover.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Eh, I'm not one for fucking with something that isn't broke......but I'll be interested to see The Killers and Oasis's take on it. 

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
DeN
Legend

I've been living on the edge so long

« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2007, 03:37:18 PM »

interesting

they can fight about it, money, it's a bag of gold.
they can fight about it, money, the story goes.
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2007, 03:52:04 PM »

poor beatles, honoured by the british indie act, theres gonna be some poor poor covers. (minus oasis)

weird how famous albums always get released i X7

67 was that album, and various others like hendrix.

77 was sex pistols

87 GNR...

ok let 97 off...it was a shit decade for music lol

i wonder what 2007 will bring us?

html sucks
GeraldFord
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2007, 04:27:39 PM »

Why even bother?  no
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2007, 04:50:54 PM »

poor beatles, honoured by the british indie act, theres gonna be some poor poor covers. (minus oasis)

weird how famous albums always get released i X7

67 was that album, and various others like hendrix.

77 was sex pistols

87 GNR...

ok let 97 off...it was a shit decade for music lol

i wonder what 2007 will bring us?

07 will be even better then 06 and that's saying something yes

hey you totally forgot about backstreet boys and spice girls both released big albums in 97 hihi
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2007, 05:15:07 PM »

Rather than Oasis, The Killers to record new version of 'Sgt Pepper', this thread would be more aptly titled Three shitty bands try to make bigger name for themselves by butchering The Beatles

Just a thought.

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
Gunner80
ohh..My somber smile
Legend

A delivery boy from the past

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2007, 12:45:35 AM »

God this album has to be the most over rated pop record ever!

The Rolling Stones, greatest Rock N' Roll band ever, period!
vietnow138
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2007, 02:28:48 AM »

Either that or its you whose missing something.
SLCPUNK
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2007, 02:50:23 AM »

Can't they do something good like "Every rose has it's thorn"? Or "Cherry Pie"?
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2007, 10:13:39 AM »

I agree that The Beatles are way overrated.  They're given a TON of credit for doing a lot of things first, without any regard for the fact that most of the music they wrote is/was popular because it's very catchy and simple. 

Of course, you can't argue this with a hardcore Beatles fan...they come back with "well, it just goes to show that simple music resonates the most with listeners and that it's the best." 

Wrong.  That's like saying "Chopin sucks.  He tried too hard, and his music is too complex."  Not that The Beatles didn't have their complex moments, but those are hardly their most popular.  That said, I still like  The Beatles.  The amount of high quality and innovative work that they did is impressive, despite the fact that most of it's fairly simple.

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
Robman?
Legend

Catcher In The Rye

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2007, 10:18:07 AM »

Rather than Oasis, The Killers to record new version of 'Sgt Pepper', this thread would be more aptly titled Three shitty bands try to make bigger name for themselves by butchering The Beatles

Just a thought.

Oasis is actually a pretty good band, have you given them a listen?
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2007, 10:43:27 AM »

Just a thought.

Honestly, I'm surprised they're still around.  I didn't really like them when they hit the scene a decade or so ago.  My main memory is that their music is the kind of whiny Brit-pop stuff like "Wonderwall."  That, and they refused to get a grip on a very severe unibrow issue.

I dunno.  I guess that my opinion is that, with all the great music the UK has given us (Zep, Sabbath, Deep Purple, Maiden...my God, how the list goes on), this band just doesn't cut it.  But, hey, it's just my opinion...more power to ya, if you get into their music. 

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
Robman?
Legend

Catcher In The Rye

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2007, 11:21:05 AM »

Just a thought.

Honestly, I'm surprised they're still around.  I didn't really like them when they hit the scene a decade or so ago.  My main memory is that their music is the kind of whiny Brit-pop stuff like "Wonderwall."  That, and they refused to get a grip on a very severe unibrow issue.

I dunno.  I guess that my opinion is that, with all the great music the UK has given us (Zep, Sabbath, Deep Purple, Maiden...my God, how the list goes on), this band just doesn't cut it.  But, hey, it's just my opinion...more power to ya, if you get into their music. 

Yeah, i agree they arent AS good as those bands you mentioned. Its cool if you dislike them for their music, as long as its not completely based on the unibrow- which i never noticed. hihi
AdZ
It's LiberAdZe, bitch!
HTGTH Crew
Legend

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2007, 11:27:52 AM »

I agree that The Beatles are way overrated.  They're given a TON of credit for doing a lot of things first, without any regard for the fact that most of the music they wrote is/was popular because it's very catchy and simple. 

Try learning the bassline to Lovely Rita and say that.

Oh and mrlee - Ok Computer '97.
Robman?
Legend

Catcher In The Rye

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2007, 01:24:28 PM »

Not to mention, an intricate song doesn't make it good.

George Harrison said in 1997 that he could right hundreds of pop hits with things like "Hey baby" in them, but he didn't because they'd be pointless, and in 40 years it would be seen as some dumb pop song.
2NaFish
Harbinger of doom and gloom
Legend

Something Witty.

« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2007, 07:35:20 PM »

its a sad state of affairs when a music board is bad mouthing the beatles. if you dont like them fair enough but they're as big and as important as any band there has ever been.
Danny Top Hat
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2007, 10:08:19 PM »

Yeah - you should never bad mouth The Beatles..

Why even bother? no

Isn't it for charity?? That's as good a reason as any.? I won't listen to it but there's no reason to complain if it's for charity.
2NaFish
Harbinger of doom and gloom
Legend

Something Witty.

« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2007, 10:22:12 PM »

durn tootin'

and what a fund-raising-tastic thing it when rock stars get together for charity

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: