Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 04, 2024, 06:52:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227994 Posts in 43256 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  22 Killed in US school Shooting
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 22 Killed in US school Shooting  (Read 43092 times)
« Reply #240 on: April 18, 2007, 07:07:00 PM »

It's just that, the more power you have, the more chance you have that you get to walk out of the situation without having to use force.

That's just not true. It may hold water in martial arts movies and bad DTV action flicks, less so in real life. Besides which, a gun is not power. If you (specifically you) walked around armed all day, getting into shit left right and center, pulling that gun out would likely go from "last resort" to "first choice" pretty quickly. And then it's lost all of it's "power," because eventually someone is going to call your bluff and you're going to have to back down or pull the trigger. And either way,  you're screwed.
Jim
I was cured, all right.
Legend

Singin' tu-lur-a-lei-oh...

« Reply #241 on: April 18, 2007, 07:11:03 PM »

Don't acknowledge the fact that he existed.
He wanted to be remembered, to go down in history. Let's remember the tragedy, not him.
Let's just be happy this nobody is dead. No-name human garbage, that's what he should be remembered as.
Don't post up his pics, either. Die nameless and faceless, bitch.

Now this, I don't understand. Consider; Cho Seung-Hui wanted to commit suicide, but instead of the tried and tested shotgun in the mouth, he decides to take a few people from this world along with himself, have a bit of fun on the way out, whatever he saw it as. In my eyes, it would appear to be win win for ol' Cho there.

Do you believe in capital punishment? If so, why? Because it's the ultimate punishment? For who? Surely not for those who wish to die? Of course, if it ain't a form of punishment, why so then? Be rid of 'em?

Personally, I'd rather he lived to reflect on what he had done. It wouldn't have to be that long, maybe a few years. But I'd let him die on his own time, but not through his own choosing. Though, of course, not as a free citizen. You never know, he may come good!, that is, see the error of his ways. Of course, he wouldn't be forgiven. And therein would lie his punishment. For my money, his time in jail wouldn't be geared towards rehabilitation, oh no, but realization.

worst signature.

officially.

not chris misfit.
Drew
milf n' cookies
Legend

Counting the signs & cursing the miles in between.

« Reply #242 on: April 18, 2007, 07:22:35 PM »

Jim, I am happy he is dead because as I said earlier we won't have to sit thru a media circus before, during, and after his trial. Tax payer money will be saved. I won't have to hear about his depression and why he blames the world for his sadness. He had no regards to the lives he took and therefore he should not a life himself. I don't feel pity for him at all. He is a waste of a human being.  In my opinion, he doesn't deserve the right to sit in jail and be taken care of courtesy of tax paying citizens and reflect upon himself to may or may not realize what a horrible crime he committed and what a worthless person he is.

"If you keep going over the past, you're going to end up with a thousand pasts and no future." - The Secret in Their Eyes
Axlfreek
Legend

« Reply #243 on: April 18, 2007, 07:34:36 PM »

I just can't imagine what there families are going through right now. just awful.

33 dead  Cry

RIP

"Live the full life of the mind, exhilarated by new ideas, intoxicated by the romance of the unusual."
Hemingway
Sin Cut
Lovegun
Legend

« Reply #244 on: April 18, 2007, 08:04:57 PM »

It's just that, the more power you have, the more chance you have that you get to walk out of the situation without having to use force.

That's just not true. It may hold water in martial arts movies and bad DTV action flicks, less so in real life. Besides which, a gun is not power. If you (specifically you) walked around armed all day, getting into shit left right and center, pulling that gun out would likely go from "last resort" to "first choice" pretty quickly. And then it's lost all of it's "power," because eventually someone is going to call your bluff and you're going to have to back down or pull the trigger. And either way,  you're screwed.

Now there's the danger. Then again, if somebody forces entry to your home, anyway you look at it, you're screwed.

And for my own experience; an upper hand giving tool helps; since for an example, when I popped my trunk at took my old (t)rusty crowbar suddenly the thought of fighting weren't as appealing to the two guys I was facing. (story short, a friend of mine called me about some guys trashing a party).

"The real reason a man hits on a girl - is to fight masturbation."
cliffburton
« Reply #245 on: April 18, 2007, 08:08:14 PM »

Sure in a perfect world your theory works, but this isnt a perfect world and unarming innocent law abiding citizens IS NOT the answer.

I guess it works in other countries because they're part of some other, more perfect world?

Guns don't kill people.People with guns kill people. <- THAT is absolutely right.

For the record, how many gun-totting citizens have been out fighting crime and cleaning up the streets lately? What's the statistical comparison between crimes prevented by the police and crimes prevented by regular citizens? Got any numbers on that? Because it seems a lot like the old "people need guns to protect themselves" argument is a crock of shit, especially when people seem to actually use their guns to look macho at the range or murder their families and then shoot themselves in the head. Statistical comparison between people defending their families with firearms and people killing their families with firearms? Anyone? Statistical comparison between people protecting their families with firearms and people accidentally leaving their firearms loaded within reach of children who then accidentally shoot themselves or their playmates? Can we get a ballpark figure?

Here's a fun one, Statistical comparison between gun shooting deaths perpetrated by criminals with illegal guns and ordinary citizens with legal guns. Wonder how that one plays out.

Illegal weapons will always be around. Saying that you intend to do nothing about the ridiculous number of weapons sitting around in homes across the country until the criminals pack it in is an invitation to more horror and bloodshed in the workplace, schoolyard, college campus, at home, at the god-damn mall, wherever. The fact, usually, is that these shootings are committed by relatively normal citizens (ie; not career criminals) with legal, or legally obtained weapons. Frankly, I have no particular interest in guns being banned or being freely available, and I don't much care who gets shot by them? as long as it isn't me. But if you're going to argue that arming the public is a good idea, please don't insult all of us by throwing out conjecture and NRA slogans as if they have some bearing on reality. If all you mean to say is that you like the idea of being allowed to own a gun, then say just that. There's nothing wrong with having an opinion - and no need to justify having one. All of the speculation and platitudes you're piling on top of it do your opinion no justice, as it can't possibly sustain the weight of so much unfounded, unconnected tripe.?

15 minutes of resrach would answer all of your questions - and they wouldn't give you the answers you want to believe.  I've posted data comparing statistics that is valid, regardless of political opposition.  But just look at raw numbers; people like yourself can't argue those.
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #246 on: April 18, 2007, 09:08:36 PM »

Anyone else find it disgusting how the media use this for ratings and ad dollars?

Yes and this is from the Washington Post, they run through many theories as to the name he uses but they are really reaching on this one.

"Ismail Ax" The VT Gunman's Final Message?

"Ismail Ax." Eight letters scrawled in red ink across the inside arm of Virginia Tech shooter Cho Seung-Hui; possibly the last thing he wrote before taking his own life.

The idea which seemed most promising to me was that "Ismail Ax" was possibly his screen name or maybe an anagram. I began playing around with the eight letters and reading through Cho's creative writing for some other clues. One of his plays, "Mr. Brownstone" references a Guns and Roses song by the same name. The lead singer of GNR was Axl Rose, so perhaps his online identity might be "Axl is I am"? (You never know!)

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/offbeat/2007/04/ismail_ax_the_vt_gunmans_final.html

« Last Edit: April 18, 2007, 09:10:24 PM by FunkyMonkey » Logged

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
Jessica
aged 12 years in 12 years
Legend

Still there

« Reply #247 on: April 18, 2007, 09:11:28 PM »

corean democracy huh

Nothing to say
The Dog
Legend

« Reply #248 on: April 18, 2007, 11:25:06 PM »

The media is going to have blood on their hands with their 24/7 coverage of this kids pictures and video.  A copy cat is sure to be "inspired" by all of this.

Some asshole just got arrested for sending threatening text messages to this girl he dated, saying he was going to kill her, a friend and people at her school.

"its going to be VT all over again"

or something like that he said.

The VT killer referenced the columbine killers in his rants....   Something to think about.

One thing us Americans are good at is mourning and mourning and mourning.  as tragic as this news is, life must go on or the bastards that cause us this pain win (same with 9-11).  This story will probably carry over into next week. 

"You're the worst character ever Towelie."
« Reply #249 on: April 18, 2007, 11:27:30 PM »

I've posted data comparing statistics that is valid, regardless of political opposition.  But just look at raw numbers; people like yourself can't argue those.

Link me.
Gordon Gekko
Banned
Headliner

Blue Horseshoe loves GnR

« Reply #250 on: April 19, 2007, 12:58:09 AM »

What is up with these sick fuckers. All day on the radio, and now on the tube, I have too look at this disgusting piece of shit babble his madness. I hate the cable channels for giving this maniac a posthumous soap box. Curse them.

Africa
Banned
Rocker

No Woman, No Cry

« Reply #251 on: April 19, 2007, 01:54:07 AM »

Jim, no, I don't believe in capital punishment, it's barbaric, and surely you can understand that my comment about being happy he is dead was merely me venting frustrations and anger towards this coward. could have worded it better, yes, and i considered not writing that, but i felt it was not disrespectful to the victims to say i am happy he is dead, after all it is pretty clear i sympathize with them.

gone. IMHO just like everything else he recorded for the band.

buckethead stops now!

rofl
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #252 on: April 19, 2007, 02:59:26 AM »

I believe stuff like this shouldn't be televised or given any media attention whatsoever.

I do believe also it inspires other sick fucks to give up on their worthless lives and try to leave a mark and become immortal.

To hear news pundits debating this shit made me sick. As if everyone should've known he was a killer just cause he was quite and didnt say Hi to people.

I remember when Fox News used as their tag line "the number 1 coverage of Hurricane Katrina" Promoting themselves with an enormous tragedy.

Drives me crazy how they try to present it like they are doing people a favor and reporting the news but YET u know all they see are dollar signs and ratings.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
cliffburton
« Reply #253 on: April 19, 2007, 04:32:52 AM »

? I've posted data comparing statistics that is valid, regardless of political opposition.? But just look at raw numbers; people like yourself can't argue those.

Link me.

http://www.johnlott.org/
« Reply #254 on: April 19, 2007, 04:57:00 AM »

Oh jesus, you're kidding me right?
Actually, you couldn't have picked a better example if you wanted to argue that the lack of accurate data on the subject makes it difficult if not impossible to reach any sort of valid conclusion on the possibility of a causal relationship between gun ownership and violent crime. You could have picked from a handful of guys on the pro-gun side and a handful of equally "good" sources on the opposing side and every single one of them has had their work both credited and discredited by peer review and competing studies. The fact is that there just isn't the raw statistical data to back either side's argument, and without the raw data all the fancy mathematical models in the world don't prove a damn thing. And it certainly doesn't help that Lott himself has been accused of falsifying his own data and of shilling for his works under pseudonyms, casting doubt on the validity of all of his past, present and future work. 
cliffburton
« Reply #255 on: April 19, 2007, 06:43:12 AM »

Oh jesus, you're kidding me right?
Actually, you couldn't have picked a better example if you wanted to argue that the lack of accurate data on the subject makes it difficult if not impossible to reach any sort of valid conclusion on the possibility of a causal relationship between gun ownership and violent crime. You could have picked from a handful of guys on the pro-gun side and a handful of equally "good" sources on the opposing side and every single one of them has had their work both credited and discredited by peer review and competing studies. The fact is that there just isn't the raw statistical data to back either side's argument, and without the raw data all the fancy mathematical models in the world don't prove a damn thing. And it certainly doesn't help that Lott himself has been accused of falsifying his own data and of shilling for his works under pseudonyms, casting doubt on the validity of all of his past, present and future work.?

That link does contain raw numbers already setup to be computed.? You can look at FBI crime stats to see number of people who use illegal weapons versus legal ones.? the anti-gun crowd never provides raw numbers, they simply take a statistic and spin it.? Take for example the brady campaign, they consider 21 year old gang members "kids" in their numbers.? If you shared a taxi with someone and they murder you, the Brady campaign calls that an aquantince murder.? I say again, only one legally owned automatic weapon was ever used in a murder and the murderer was a cop.? More babies drown in 5 gallon buckets than are killed by an accidental or even intentional discharge.? Do some research and don't discredit someone just because they're advocating a side.? Maybe just maybe they're ahead of you and have already looked at the data.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2007, 07:39:23 AM by Ageless Stranger » Logged
Where is Hassan Nasrallah ?
Coco
Legend

S?gol?ne Royal

« Reply #256 on: April 19, 2007, 07:18:33 AM »

Ageless Stranger, i'm with you, i really don't see how people can be anti-gun.

i loved the double barrel shotgun in Doom 2. it was awesome !

cliffburton
« Reply #257 on: April 19, 2007, 07:32:11 AM »

Ageless Stranger, i'm with you, i really don't see how people can be anti-gun.

i loved the double barrel shotgun in Doom 2. it was awesome !

It was a big improvement over the pump action in Doom 1 I thought.  I was always a fan of the BFG 9000 though.  IDKFA and IDDQD was a life saver
Skeba
Laugh Whore
Legend

Comedy is tragedy plus time

« Reply #258 on: April 19, 2007, 07:38:42 AM »

IDKFA and IDDQD was a life saver

Exactly what I would've done if that fucker was coming at me!! Nobody takes my life with out a fight!!

I've created an atmosphere where I?m a friend first, moderator second. Probably entertainer third.
Sin Cut
Lovegun
Legend

« Reply #259 on: April 19, 2007, 07:40:56 AM »

Don't be such pussies, a tank is the only way to go!

"The real reason a man hits on a girl - is to fight masturbation."
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: